NCAA News Wire
Georgia Southern 78, Florida International 72
Georgia Southern stretched a four-point halftime lead into a 13-point advantage 10 minutes into the second half, then rode that cushion to a 78-72 victory over Florida International on Monday night in Statesboro, Ga.
After trailing 60-47 at the midpoint of the second period, the visiting Panthers managed to close the gap to 72-70 on guard Marco Porcher Jimenez’ 3-pointer with 1:27 to go, but the Eagles held on by hitting five of six free throws in the final minute.
Junior guard Jelani Hewitt, who led the Eagles with a career-high 33 points, hit two of two attempts, guard Mike Hughes two of two, and guard Curtis Diamond one of two down the stretch.
Forward Adrian Diaz’s dunk that made it 75-72 was FIU’s last basket.
Diaz, a junior transfer from Kansas State, matched Hewitt for scoring honors with a career-high 33 points, 20 of them coming in the second half. He was the only Panther to score in double figures.
In addition to Hewitt’s output, Georgia Southern (3-1) got 11 points each from Diamond and forward Trent Wiedeman.
FIU (3-1) outshot Georgia Southern from the field, hitting 44.1 percent to the Eagles’ 37.7 percent. Both teams struggled from the behind the 3-point arc, with the Panthers making only five of 21 (23.8 percent) and the Eagles seven of 24 (29.2 percent).
The Eagles enjoyed a 44-35 rebounding advantage.
- Angel Reese Signs NIL Deal to Feature in Starry Commercial With Zion Williamson and KAT But You Can’t See Her
- Daniel Freitag: The 4-Star Prospect in Wisconsin Badgers’ Sights
- Jaylen Brown Next Team Odds If Not Celtics 2023: Hawks Are Betting Favorites
- League sources call Lakers assistant coach Phil Handy a name to watch for on Frank Vogel’s staff with Phoenix
- Heat star Jimmy Butler on Game 1 loss: ‘Got to get more layups, got to get more free throws’
Main Page 1 week ago
Michael Jordan Buys $3.5 Million Custom Venom F5 Roadster, 300 MPH Sports Car
College Basketball 1 week ago
Bronny James Prom Date: Who is Girlfriend, Peyton Gelfuso?
NBA 4 days ago
LA Lakers Believe Lonzo Ball’s Potential Career-Ending Injury Caused By Big Baller Brand Shoes
Headlines 5 days ago
Dallas Mavericks Not Interested in Pursuing D’Angelo Russell