Guard Deron Powers scored 17 points and Hampton held off a late charge by Morgan State to earn a 62-58 victory in a Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference game in Norfolk, Va., on Monday.
The visiting Bears (1-8, 0-2 MEAC) trailed most of the second half, but pulled to within 51-50 on forward Kyle Thomas’ three-pointer with 4:21 to play. But the Pirates (4-5, 2-0) answered with a Powers three-pointer, and Morgan State never got closer than three points the rest of the way.
Guard Quinton Chievous added 13 points and eight rebounds for Hampton, which remained undefeated in MEAC play. Forward Jervon Pressley pulled down 10 rebounds and blocked three shots.
Guard Blake Bozeman led Morgan State with 15 points, and forward Cedric Blossom added 14. But he two combined to go 6 for 23 from the field and 1 for 6 from three-point range. The Bears were ice cold most of the game, making just 16 of their 65 shots. They stayed in the game thanks to 22 offensive rebounds, as well as 19 Hampton turnovers. Morgan State also helped itself by knocking down 22 of its 29 free-throw attempts.
Hampton forward Dwight Meikle was ejected in the first half after picking up a pair of technical fouls.
NBA Team Salaries
- NBA Betting Picks: New York Knicks vs Brooklyn Nets preview, picks and prediction
- NBA Betting Picks: Los Angeles Lakers vs. Sacramento Kings Preview
- NBA Betting Picks: Memphis Grizzlies vs Toronto Raptors preview, prediction and picks
- NBA Betting Picks: New Orleans Pelicans vs. Los Angeles Clippers preview, prediction and picks
- NBA Betting Picks: Oklahoma City Thunder vs Houston Rockets preview, prediction and picks