Kansas freshman 7-footer Joel Embiid, considered one of the surprise newcomers in college basketball season, plans to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
According to multiple reports, Embiid will make a formal announcement as soon as this weekend and he is in the process of selecting an agent.
The 20-year-old Cameroon native told The Sports Xchange in February he would weigh his options after the season and measure those against his development. NBA Draft experts consider Embiid, who has played organized basketball only three years, a top-three pick — and possibly No. 1 — if he decides to leave.
“I’m not even thinking about it right now,” Embiid said in Febraury. “I’ll make a decision after the season, but I’m definitely considering coming back to school.”
Embiid consider redshirting in 2013-14 but went on to average 11.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks per game. His lone season in Lawrence ended prematurely because of a back injury that will be studied from all angles by NBA evaluators.
“He’s a bright young man and he’s going to weigh his options,” Kansas coach Bill Self said before the start of the NCAA Tournament. “He’s considering coming back and he’s obviously also considering leaving. He can’t make a bad decision.”
Self is also planning to lose freshman Andrew Wiggins, who was hailed as the nation’s top player coming out of high school. North Carolina State’s T.J. Warren and Indiana’s Noah Vonleh are leaving school early to enter the NBA draft and Duke’s Jabari Parker could join them.
- Kelly Oubre Jr. mocks press for questioning legitimacy of his injury and hit-and-run incident
- Tyrese Haliburton records 1st career triple-double, 3rd 25-point, 10-assist game with 0 turnovers this season
- Famous “pitbull” lawyer Gloria Allred is representing teen in Josh Giddey’s controversial case
- Kings’ Domantas Sabonis passes Bob Cousy, Ben Simmons for 13th-most triple-doubles
- Charles Barkley ‘guarantees’ Celtics are winning this NBA title and fans are saying he jinxed it
NBA 2 weeks ago
Josh Giddey, Underage Girl Go Viral After Leaked Photos On Social Media
NBA 1 week ago
Kevin Durant reveals he requested a trade out of Brooklyn because they didn’t ‘build an identity’
Main Page 2 weeks ago
Timberwolves’ Jaden McDaniels out 2-3 weeks with right ankle sprain
NBA 6 days ago
NBA legend Kevin Garnett revealed he plans to ‘dedicate’ a son to Kobe Bryant