Andre Walker scored 11 of his game-high 16 points in the second half as the Loyola University (Md.) Greyhounds rallied for a 45-38 victory over the visiting Maryland-Baltimore County Retrievers Wednesday night at the Reitz Arena.
Both teams shot poorly, but Loyola (2-1) did just enough to win a second straight game. Walker, a freshman guard, scored 11 in the second half as the Greyhounds got 14 of the game’s final 19 points.
He scored the first five points of an eight-point run which put Loyola in front for good at 39-33.
The Greyhounds shot only 29 percent from the field, but UMBC (0-2) made just 26 percent of its shots. The Retrievers got just two baskets and scored only five points in the final 12:33.
Loyola also struggled at the free-throw line, making just 14 of 25. But the Greyhounds made seven of their final eight foul shots to pull away.
Walker was the lone Greyhound to finish in double figures.
UMBC had to play without sophomore guard Rodney Elliott, last year’s America East Rookie of the Year, injured in last Friday’s season opener and is out indefinitely.
Cody Joyce, a junior forward who just transferred to UMBC, led the Retrievers with 14 points.
Guard Wayne Sparrow, a graduate student transfer, added 13 points for UMBC despite missing several minutes in the second half with leg cramps.
Both teams next play road games on Saturday. Loyola heads to Butler while UMBC goes to Minnesota.
NBA Team Salaries
- Portland Trail Blazers vs Golden State Warriors: preview, prediction and betting tips – Warriors poised to dominate at home
- Gonzaga Bulldogs vs Duke Blue Devils picks, preview & betting tips – High talent won’t equate to high pace
- New Orleans Pelicans vs Utah Jazz: preview, prediction and betting tips – Jazz can claim another ATS win on Friday
- Washington Wizards vs Oklahoma City Thunder preview, prediction & betting tips – Thunder can cover against hot-start Wizards
- Atlanta Hawks vs Memphis Grizzlies preview, prediction & betting tips – Hawks can keep rolling against Grizzlies on Friday
Main Page2 weeks ago
Celtics vs. Cavaliers: Betting Picks, Predictions and Preview
Main Page1 week ago
Warriors vs. Nets: Predictions, Betting Picks and Preview
Main Page4 days ago
LeBron James receives one-game suspension for elbowing Isaiah Stewart
Main Page1 week ago
76ers vs. Jazz: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks