Home » news » Nba Notebook Anthony Expected To Be Sidelined 4 6 Months

NBA News Wire

NBA notebook: Anthony expected to be sidelined 4-6 months

The Sports Xchange profile picture

Updated

on

Disclosure
We sometimes use affiliate links in our content, when clicking on those we might receive a commission – at no extra cost to you. By using this website you agree to our terms and conditions and privacy policy.

The New York Knicks officially shut down forward Carmelo Anthony for the rest of the season and he could be out for four to six months, team president Phil Jackson said Wednesday.

Anthony will undergo surgery on his ailing left knee. The procedure is a patellar tendon debridement and repair, which will remove dead, damaged, or infected tissue that is causing pain and discomfort.

Anthony, the Knicks’ leading scorer, has been dealing with soreness in his left knee for months. Despite the injury, Anthony logged 30 minutes in the All-Star Game at Madison Square Garden on Sunday, scoring 14 points on 6-of-20 shooting from the floor. In 40 games this season, he averaged 24.2 points, 6.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists.

—The Dallas Mavericks waived swingman Ricky Ledo on Wednesday to clear a roster spot for forward/center Amar’e Stoudemire.

Stoudemire, whose contract was bought out by the New York Knicks on Monday, officially signed with Dallas after clearing waivers for a prorated veteran minimum of approximately $460,000.

Stoudemire is expected to make his Mavericks debut Thursday against the Thunder in Oklahoma City as a backup to center Tyson Chandler and forward Dirk Nowitzki. The 32-year-old averaged 12.0 points and 6.8 rebounds per game for the Knicks this season, below his career averages of 20.0 points and 8.2 rebounds.

Ledo was selected by the Mavericks in the second round of the 2013 draft but spent most of the subsequent time playing for Texas of the NBA Development League. He appeared in five games for Dallas this season, scoring one point.

—New Orleans Pelicans point guard Jrue Holiday will remain out for at least three more weeks after he aggravated a stress reaction in his right leg, the team said Wednesday.

The leg has been an issue for Holiday since last year, when he had surgery and missed 48 games. This season, he has missed 16 games, not playing since Jan. 12.

Holiday was averaging 15.2 points and 7.1 assists before the recent setback. He will be re-evaluated in three weeks, the team said.

Meanwhile, coach Monty Williams said he hopes forwards Anthony Davis and Ryan Anderson will return Friday in Orlando.

—The Phoenix Suns continue to discuss moving Goran Dragic before Thursday’s trade deadline after his agent informed the team that the All-Star point guard does not plan to re-sign this summer.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Suns are exploring all options to try to strike a deal before the 3 p.m. ET deadline to avoid losing Dragic in July without compensation.

According to ESPN, the Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks are destinations at the top of Dragic’s wish list, with the Miami Heat also in the mix. The Boston Celtics may be a contender for the 28-year-old Dragic, given the numerous future draft picks Boston president Danny Ainge has amassed in recent months.

Dragic is in his third season in Phoenix after leaving the Rockets in free agency in July 2012. He can become a free agent this offseason by declining a $7.5 million player option for 2015-16. Dragic is averaging 16.2 points and 4.1 assists this season.

—The Toronto Raptors reassigned forward Bruno Caboclo to the Fort Wayne Mad Ants of the NBA Development League on Wednesday.

Caboclo will continue to be included on the Raptors’ roster and will remain on the team’s inactive list. He is expected to be in uniform for the Mad Ants on Thursday when they face the Grand Rapids Drive in Michigan. Caboclo appeared in three games with Fort Wayne, averaging 4.3 points, 2.7 rebounds and 13.0 minutes.

Caboclo made his NBA debut on Nov. 21 against Milwaukee and scored a season-high eight points in 12 minutes of action. He has played a total of 16 minutes in four games with Toronto this season, recording eight points and two rebounds.

—The Cleveland Cavaliers recalled guard Joe Harris from the Canton Charge of the NBA Development League on Wednesday.

Harris has played in seven games for the Charge this season, averaging 17 points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.3 assists in 32.3 minutes per game. He has played in 38 games (one start) for the Cavs, averaging 2.8 points in 10.4 minutes.

Up to the minute news and reports from the news wire of The Sports Xchange.

Trending Now