Rakeem Christmas scored 15 points and grabbed 16 rebounds, leading No.
23 Syracuse past Hampton 65-47 on Sunday at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y.
The game was part of the Syracuse Regional of the 2K Classic. The Orange play Cal in the semifinals on Thursday at Madison Square Garden in New York.
Chris McCullough added 13 points for the Orange, who had a tough time putting away the Pirates (0-2). Syracuse (2-0) made just five of its 18 3-point attempts and missed seven of 23 free throws.
Hampton, which fell to Iowa 90-56 in its season opener Friday, stayed in Sunday’s game until the final few minutes. The Pirates trailed 48-42 when forward Dwight Meikle made a jumper with 8:31 to play, but the Orange closed the game on a 17-5 run to make the margin more lopsided.
Guard Quinton Chievous led the Pirates with 17 points, but none of his teammates finished in double figures. Guard Deron Powers went 0-for-5 from 3-point range, 4-for-12 from the floor and scored nine points. Reserve guard Brian Darden missed five of his six 3-point attempts, contributing to the Pirates’ 4-for-19 effort from long distance.
Hampton was within 35-27 at the break despite 10 first-half turnovers and 15 fouls, and Syracuse never extended its lead to double digits before halftime. The Pirates shot just seven free throws all game, compared to the Orange’s 23.
The Pirates don’t play again until Nov. 21, when they play host to Alcorn State.
NBA Team Salaries
- NBA Betting Picks: Detroit Pistons vs Portland Trail Blazers preview, prediction and picks
- NBA Betting Picks: Golden State Warriors vs. Phoenix Suns preview, prediction and picks
- NBA Betting Picks: New York Knicks vs Brooklyn Nets preview, picks and prediction
- NBA Betting Picks: Los Angeles Lakers vs. Sacramento Kings Preview
- NBA Betting Picks: Memphis Grizzlies vs Toronto Raptors preview, prediction and picks