It was pretty easy to analyze how George Mason lost Thursday night.
The Patriots kept turning the ball over and West Virginia kept converting their mistakes into points.
Forcing 24 turnovers and cashing them in for 31 points, the Mountaineers led by 26 at the half and cruised to an 90-65 rout in the first round of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off at Coliseo Roberto Clemente in San Juan.
Guard Patrick Holloway sank five 3-pointers and scored a game-high 17 points for George Mason (1-2), and center Shevon Thompson added 14 points. But the Patriots coughed up 16 first-half turnovers and WVU (3-0) cashed them in for 19 points.
Forward Devin Williams scored 15 of his 16 points in the first half, and forward Jonathan Holton also added 16 points and point guard Juwan Staten had 13.
The only negative for the Mountaineers was that Williams left with 16:06 left after appearing to injure his knee following a collision in the lane.
George Mason didn’t shoot the ball badly in the first half, sinking 45 percent from the field. But it turned the ball over 40 percent of the time and the quicker Mountaineers made it pay time after time.
The lead grew to 28 late in the first half on a dunk by guard Jevon Carter, rendering the second half into one played solely for the exercise.
The Patriots meet New Mexico on Friday in a consolation-round game. West Virginia takes on old Big East rival Boston College in the semifinals.
- Paolo Banchero and Franz Wagner expected to develop into Magic’s leaders this season
- LeBron James will be oldest player in the NBA for the first time in 2023-24 season
- ‘I need Dame to be Dame’: Giannis Antentokounmpo said about pairing with Lillard in Milwaukee
- Michael Jordan Becomes First-Ever Athlete to Rank Among America’s 400 Wealthiest People
- Clippers star Kawhi Leonard hopes NBA isn’t trying to mock him personally with new resting rule
Main Page 2 weeks ago
Clippers sign guard Xavier Moon to an Exhibit 10 contract
NBA 2 days ago
Hall of Famer Charles Barkley says that most players with great athleticism are ‘dumb as rocks’
Main Page 2 weeks ago
Timberwolves’ Anthony Edwards receives wall mural in hometown of Atlanta
Main Page 7 days ago
Raptors, Heat, and Celtics targeting Jrue Holiday after Damian Lillard trade