Quick: Currently over the cap and tax threshold. Repeat tax eligible.
Salary Cap: $99,093,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $119,266,000
Projected 2018-19 Cap Space ($102 million cap): Up to $15.0 million
- Trade Exception (Mike Dunleavy, expiring 1/8/18) — $4,837,500
- Trade Exception (Mo Williams, expiring 1/8/18) — $549,300
- Trade Exception (Chris Andersen, expiring 2/13/18) — $980,431
- Trade Exception (Kyrie Irving, expiring 8/22/18) — $5,811,114
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception: $2,549,143 (Cedi Osman)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Bird: James Jones ($1,471,382)
- Non-Bird: Deron Williams ($1,471,382), Derrick Williams ($1,471,382), Dahntay Jones ($1,471,382), Shawn Marion ($1,471,382 cap hold)*
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
- Kay Felder $1,312,611 ($456,529 guaranteed)
- Edy Tavares $1,471,382
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, two non/partially-guaranteed
PG: Derrick Rose, Jose Calderon, Kay Felder, Isaiah Thomas (injured)
SG: J.R. Smith, Kyle Korver, Cedi Osman
SF: LeBron James, Jae Crowder, Iman Shumpert, Richard Jefferson
PF: Kevin Love, Jeff Green
C: Tristan Thompson, Channing Frye, Edy Tavares, Ante Zizic
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
G-League Affiliate: Canton Charge (Nate Reinking coach)
Two-Way Contracts: John Hollands (two-year)
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,608/$528
- LeBron James — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: LeBron James
Head Coach: Tyronn Lue (three-year deal, as of 2015-16 season — five-year, $35 million extension in July 2016, terms TBD)
Assistants: Larry Drew (associate head coach), Jim Boylan, Bret Brielmaier, James Posey, Phil Handy (also director of player development), Mike Longabardi, Damon Jones, Vitaly Potapenko (assistant director of player development)
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning)
- Koby Altman — general manager
- Mike Gansey — assistant general manager
- Brock Aller — senior director of basketball operations
- Jon Nichols — senior director of analytics
- Brandon Weems — director of scouting
- 2018 — Owed first-rounder from Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett, Kyrie Irving).
- 2018 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Keith Bogans), may go to Charlotte Hornets (Andrei Kirilenko, Juan Pablo Vaulet).
- 2019 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2020, otherwise converts to 2021 and 2022 second-rounders) to Atlanta Hawks (Kyle Korver)
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Minnesota Timberwolves (Tyus Jones).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Los Angeles Lakers (Roy Hibbert, Rakeem Christmas).
- 2019 — Owe higher of Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Lakers second-rounders to Portland Trail Blazers (Brendan Haywood), both possibly to Trail Blazers, if owed first-rounder is not conveyed. (Anderson Varejao).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to New York Knicks (Dion Waiters), possibly to Orlando Magic (Kyle O’Quinn).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Zoran Dragic, Kyrie Irving).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Portland Trail Blazers (Mo Harkless, Joe Harris).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Los Angeles Clippers (Brendan Haywood, Anderson Varejao, Channing Frye, C.J. Wilcox).
Cash Paid ($5.1 million max): $0
Cash Received ($5.1 million max): $0
- 8/17/17 — No-trade restriction lifts on Cedi Osman.
- 8/31/17 — Final day to stretch a player for 2017/18 season.
- 10/22/17 — No-package restriction lifts on Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder and Ante Zizic.
- 1/8/18 — Mo Williams and Mike Dunleavy trade exceptions expire.
- 12/15/17 — No-trade restrictions lift on Jeff Green, Derrick Rose, Kyle Korver and Jose Calderon.
- 1/10/18 — Edy Tavares’ $1,471,382 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 1/10/18 — Kay Felder’s $1,312,611 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 2/13/18 — Chris Andersen trade exception expires.
- Seven days prior to 2018 NBA Draft, by 6/29/18 — Iman Shumpert player option.
- 6/24/18 — Team option on Kay Felder, if taken, 2018-19 salary guarantees for $529,661.
- 6/29/18 — Team option on Edy Tavares.
- 6/29/18 — Player option on LeBron James.
- 7/1/18-7/5/18 — NBA moratorium.
- 8/22/18 — Kyrie Irving trade exception expires.
- 10/31/18 — Team option on Ante Zizic.
- 1/10/19 — Richard Jefferson’s $2,612,500 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 1/10/19 — Edy Tavares’ $1,600,520 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 1/10/19 — Kay Felder’s $1,544,951 guarantees for 2018-19.
- Seven days prior to 2019 NBA Draft, by 6/29/19 — Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving player options.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer on Kay Felder.
- 6/30/19 — J.R. Smith’s $15,680,000 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 7/7/19 — Kyle Korver’s $7.5 million guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline for Cedi Osman.
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Ante Zizic.
- Start of 2020 season — Extension deadline for Ante Zizic.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Ante Zizic.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/19/17 — Parted ways with general manager David Griffin.
- 7/10/17 — Signed Jose Calderon to a one-year, $2,328,652 contract.
- 7/10/17 — Signed Jeff Green to a one-year, $2,116,955 contract.
- 7/12/17 — Signed Kyle Korver to a partially-guaranteed three-year, $22,060,000 contract.
- 7/18/17 — Signed Cedi Osman (2015-31st) to a three-year, $8,325,000 contract.
- 7/25/17 — Signed Derrick Rose to a one-year, $2,116,955 contract.
- 8/22/17 — Traded Kyrie Irving to Boston Celtics for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, a Brooklyn Nets first-rounder and a 2020 Miami Heat second-rounder.
- 9/9/17 — Signed John Holland to a two-year, two-way contract.
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: Kyrie Irving
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Sir’Dominic Pointer (2015-53rd), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Chukwudiebere Maduabum (2011-56th), Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
Arena: Quicken Loans Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/17/17)