Cleveland Cavaliers Team Salary
Quick: Over the cap, above the luxury-tax threshold.
Projected 2016-17 Cap Space: $0-$11.2 million
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception: $0 (Mo Williams, Sasha Kaun)
- Trade Exception (Brendan Haywood, expiring 7/30/16) — $10,522,500
- Trade Exception (Mike Miller, expiring 7/30/16) — $2,854,940
- Trade Exception (Joe Harris, expiring 1/12/17) — $845,059
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed
PG: Kyrie Irving, Matt Dellavedova, Mo Williams
SG: J.R. Smith, Jared Cunningham
SF: LeBron James, Iman Shumpert, Richard Jefferson
PF: Kevin Love, James Jones
C: Tristan Thompson, Timofey Mozgov, Anderson Varejao, Sasha Kaun
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- 2/18/16 — NBA trade deadline.
- 5/17/16 — 2016 NBA draft lottery.
- 6/23/16 — 2016 NBA Draft.
- 7/1/16-7/11/16 — NBA annual moratorium.
- 7/12/16 — Free agent signing period begins
- 7/30/16 — Brendan Haywood $10.5 million trade exception expires.
- 7/30/16 — Mike Miller $2.9 million trade exception expires.
- 9/7/16 — J.R. Smith’s $5.4 million guarantees for 16/17.
- 1/10/17 — Anderson Varejao’s $10.4 million guarantees for 16/17.
- 8/1/17 — Anderson Varejao’s salary guarantees for 4.5 million for 17/18.
- 1/10/18 — Anderson Varejao’s $10.0 million guarantees for 17/18.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/22/15 — Opted Timofey Mozgov into the final year on his contract.
- 6/25/15 — Kevin Love opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 6/25/15 — Traded Tyus Jones (2015-24th) to Minnesota Timberwolves for Cedi Osman (2015-31st) and Rakeem Christmas (2015-36th) and a 2019 second-rounder.
- 6/25/15 — Selected Sir’ Dominic Pointer with the 53rd pick in the draft.
- 6/29/15 — Tendered a qualifying offer to Iman Shumpert.
- 6/29/15 — Tendered a qualifying offer to Tristan Thompson.
- 6/29/15 — Tendered a qualifying offer to Matt Dellavedova.
- 6/29/15 — J.R. Smith opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 6/30/15 — Mike Miller opted into the final year of his contract.
- 6/30/15 — LeBron James outed out of the final year of his contract.
- 7/9/15 — Signed Kevin Love to a five-year, $113.2 million deal, player option on final season.
- 7/9/15 — Signed Iman Shumpert to a four-year, $40 million contract, player option on final season.
- 7/10/15 — Signed LeBron James to a two-year, $50 million contract, player option on final season.
- 7/10/15 — Signed Mo Williams to a two-year, $4.3 million contract, player option on second season.
- 7/23/15 — Traded the rights to Rakeem Christmas (2015-36th) to Indiana Pacers for a 2019 second-round from Los Angeles Lakers.
- 7/24/15 — Reportedly agreed to sign James Jones to a $1.5 million minimum contract.
- 7/25/15 — Signed Matt Dellavedova to his one-year, $1.1 million qualifying offer.
- 7/27/15 — Traded Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, a 2019 second-rounder (higher of Minnesota Timberwolves or Los Angeles Lakers) and a 2020 second-rounder to Portland Trail Blazers for $75k.
- 8/5/15 — Signed Richardson Jefferson to a $1.5 million minimum contract.
- 9/2/15 — Re-Signed J.R. Smith to a two-year, partially-guaranteed $5.4 million contract, player option on second season.
- 9/7/15 — J.R. Smith’s $5.0 million salary guaranteed for 2015/16.
- 9/9/15 — Signed Sasha Kaun (2008-56th) to a two-year $2.6 million contract.
- 9/28/15 — Signed Michael Dunigan to a non-guaranteed $525k minimum contract.
- 9/28/15 — Signed Jared Cunningham to a non-guaranteed $981k minimum summer contract.
- 9/28/15 — Signed Austin Daye to a non-guaranteed $1.2 million minimum summer contract.
- 9/28/15 — Signed Chris Johnson to a non-guaranteed $981k minimum summer contract.
- 9/28/15 — Signed D.J. Stephens to a non-guaranteed $845k minimum summer contract.
- 9/28/15 — Signed Quinn Cook to a non-guaranteed minimum contract.
- 9/28/15 — Signed Nick Minnerath to a non-guaranteed $525k minimum summer contract.
- 10/1/15 — Qualifying offer to Tristan Thompson expired.
- 10/9/15 — Signed Dionte Christmas to a two-year, non-guaranteed $1.8 million minimum summer contract.
- 10/17/15 — Signed Jack Cooley to a non-guaranteed $845k minimum summer contract.
- 10/22/15 — Signed Tristan Thompson to a five-year, $82 million contract.
- 1/10/16 — Jared Cunningham’s $981k guaranteed for 15/16.
- 1/12/16 — Traded Joe Harris, Sacramento Kings’ 2017 protected second-rounder and $934,614 to Orlando Magic for Portland Trail Blazers’ 2020 protected second-rounder.
No-Trade: LeBron James, James Jones, Matt Dellavedova, J.R. Smith
Waived Players: Michael Dunigan, Chris Johnson, Nick Minnerath, Dionte Christmas, D.J. Stephens, Austin Daye, Jack Cooley, Quinn Cook
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Cedi Osman (2015-31st), Sir’Dominic Pointer (2015-53rd), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
Head Coach: Tyronn Lue (three-year deal, as of 2015-16 season)
Assistants: Jim Boylan, Bret Brielmaier, Larry Drew, James Posey, Phil Handy, Mike Longabardi
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning)
- David Griffin — General Manager
- 2016 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Los Angeles Clippers (Rasual Butler, Alonzo Gee).
- 2016 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2018, unprotected in 2019) to Phoenix Suns (Tyler Zeller, Isaiah Thomas).
- 2016 — Owe second-rounder to Boston Celtics (Keith Bogans).
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to Boston Celtics (Keith Bogans).
- 2018 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Keith Bogans), may go to Charlotte Hornets (Andrei Kirilenko, Juan Pablo Vaulet).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Minnesota Timberwolves (Tyus Jones).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Los Angeles Lakers (Roy Hibbert).
- 2019 — Owed higher of Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Lakers second-rounders to Portland Trail Blazers (Brendan Haywood).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to New York Knicks (Dion Waiters).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Portland Trail Blazers (Mo Harkless, Joe Harris).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Portland Trail Blazers (Brendan Haywood).
- Non-Bird: Shawn Marion (retiring)
Cash Paid ($3.4 million max): $934,614 to Orlando Magic (Joe Harris)
Cash Received ($3.4 million max): $75 from Portland Trail Blazers (Brendan Haywood)
- LeBron James — 15%
- Kyrie Irving — 15%
- Anderson Varejao — 5%
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
Amnesty: Used on Baron Davis
D-League Affiliate: Canton Charge
- Shawn Marion — $974,276 (Non-Bird)
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/29/16)