Quick: Over the cap and tax threshold. Repeat tax eligible.
Salary Cap: $99,093,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $119,266,000
Projected 2018-19 Cap Space ($101 million cap): None
Roster Count: Nine guaranteed, one player option, one team option, one non/partially-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: George Hill, Jordan Clarkson, London Perrantes (two-way)
SG: J.R. Smith, John Holland (two-way)
SF: Kyle Korver, Cedi Osman, Okaro White
PF: LeBron James (PO), Larry Nance Jr.
C: Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson, Ante Zizic, Kendrick Perkins (TO)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
2018-19 Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- LeBron James (PO, $35,350,000, full Bird)
- Rodney Hood (RFA, $7,160,592, full Bird)
- James Jones* ($1,499,698, full Bird)
- Dahntay Jones* ($1,499,698, early Bird)
- Kendrick Perkins (TO, $1,499,698, early Bird)
- Jose Calderon ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
- Jeff Green ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
- Deron Williams* ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
- Shawn Marion* ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
- Okaro White $1,544,951
Draft Picks: 8th from Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett, Kyrie Irving, cap hold $3,568,497); 25th to Los Angeles Lakers (Jordan Clarkson), 55th to Charlotte Hornets (Andrei Kirilenko, Juan Pablo Vaulet)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Arturas Gudaitis (2015-47th), Sir’Dominic Pointer (2015-53rd), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Chukwudiebere Maduabum (2011-56th), Sergey Gladyr (2009-49th), Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
- Trade Exception (Kyrie Irving, expiring 8/22/18) — $5,811,114
- Trade Exception (Richard Jefferson, expiring 10/14/18) — $2,500,000
- Trade Exception (Kay Felder, expiring 10/14/18) — $1,312,611
- Trade Exception (Dwyane Wade, expiring 2/8/19) — $1,471,382
- Mid-Level Exception — $8,567,770
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,353,315
Note: If team needs to avoid a hard cap, they lose the standard Mid-Level and Bi-Annual Exceptions and gain the $5,291,918 Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception.
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
- LeBron James — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: LeBron James
G-League Affiliate: Canton Charge (Mike Gansey general manager, Nate Reinking coach)
Two-Way Contracts: John Holland, London Perrantes
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: Tyronn Lue (three-year deal, as of 2015-16 season — five-year, $35 million extension in July 2016, terms TBD)
Assistants: Larry Drew (associate head coach), Jim Boylan, Bret Brielmaier, James Posey, Phil Handy (also director of player development), Mike Longabardi, Damon Jones, Vitaly Potapenko (assistant director of player development)
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning)
- Koby Altman — general manager
- Mike Gansey — assistant general manager
- Brock Aller — senior director of basketball operations
- Jon Nichols — senior director of analytics
- Brandon Weems — director of scouting
- 2019 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2020, otherwise converts to 2021 and 2022 second-rounders) to Atlanta Hawks (Kyle Korver)
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Orlando Magic, Sacramento Kings, New York Knicks or Detroit Pistons. Magic will receive the highest of the Cavaliers, Rockets, Blazers and their own pick. The Kings receive the second-highest of the Magic, Cavaliers and Rockets’ picks. The Knicks will get the lowest of the three picks. The Pistons will get the lowest of either the Blazers’ pick or the highest of the Orlando, Cavaliers and Rockets’ picks (Iman Shumpert, Pablo Prigioni, Kyle O’Quinn, Jake Layman, Jodie Meeks, Scott Perry).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Los Angeles Clippers (Brendan Haywood, Anderson Varejao, Channing Frye, C.J. Wilcox).
- 2024 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Miami HEAT (Dwyane Wade).
- 2024 — Utah Jazz can swap second-rounders with Cavaliers (George Hill).
Cash Paid ($5.1 million max): $3.0 million to Atlanta Hawks (Richard Jefferson); $2.1 million to Sacramento Kings (George Hill) — $0 remaining
Cash Received ($5.1 million max): $0
- 6/21/18 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/18 — Player option on LeBron James.
- 6/29/18 — Team option on Kendrick Perkins.
- 6/29/18 — Qualifying offer deadline for Rodney Hood.
- 7/1/18-7/5/18 — NBA moratorium.
- 7/11/18 — No-trade restriction lifts on Kendrick Perkins.
- 8/5/18 — Okaro White’s salary guarantees at $772,476 for 2018-19.
- 8/22/18 — Kyrie Irving trade exception expires.
- 10/14/18 — Richard Jefferson and Kay Felder trade exceptions expire.
- Before first day of 2018 season — Extension deadline for Larry Nance Jr.
- First day of the 2018 season — Okaro White’s $1,544,951 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 10/31/18 — Team option on Ante Zizic.
- 1/10/19 — Edy Tavares’ $1,600,520 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 2/8/19 — Dwyane Wade trade exception expires.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline for Larry Nance Jr. and Okaro White.
- 7/1/19 — George Hill’s $18.0 million guarantees for 2019-20.
- Seven days prior to 2019 NBA Draft, by 6/29/19 — Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving player options.
- 6/30/19 — J.R. Smith’s $15,680,000 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 7/7/19 — Kyle Korver’s $7.5 million guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline for Cedi Osman.
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Ante Zizic.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadline for Ante Zizic.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Ante Zizic.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Quicken Loans Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 5/18/18)