Quick: Over the cap. Repeat tax eligible.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($116 million cap): Up to $37.4 million.
Roster Count: 13 guaranteed, one non-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Collin Sexton, Brandon Knight, Matthew Dellavedova
SG: Darius Garland, Jordan Clarkson, Kevin Porter Jr.
SF: Cedi Osman, Alfonzo McKinnie, Dylan Windler (injured)
PF: Kevin Love, Larry Nance Jr., Dean Wade (two-way), Tyler Cook (two-way)
C: Tristan Thompson, John Henson, Ante Zizic (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Sam Dekker, expiring 12/7/19) — $2,760,095
- Trade Exception (Rodney Hood, expiring 2/4/20) — $266,728
- Trade Exception (Wade Baldwin, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,544,951
- Trade Exception (Nik Stauskas, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,512,601
- Mid-Level Exception — $9,258,000
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
- Alfonzo McKinnie $1,588,231
Waived Players: J.R. Smith (stretched), Levi Randolph, Malik Newman, Alex Robinson, Sir’Dominic Pointer, Daniel Hamilton, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, PJ Macura, Sindarius Thornwell, Marques Bolden, Jarell Martin
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Canton Charge (Mike Gansey general manager, Nate Reinking coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Dean Wade, Tyler Cook
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: John Beilein
Assistants: J.B. Bickerstaff (associate head coach), Lindsay Gottlieb, Antonio Lang, Lindsay Gottlieb, Dan Geriot, Steve Frankoski (player development coach), Michael Hartman (director of coaching analytics/player development), Sam Jones (player development coordinator), J.J. Outlaw (assistant coach/player development), Chris Darnell (player development/video assistant), Jay Shunnar (special assistant to head coach), Mike Gerrity (director of player development/assistant coach), Dan Vincent (head video coordinator/player development), Andrew Olson (shooting coach)
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning), Albert Padilla, Ed Subel
- Koby Altman — general manager
- Mike Gansey — assistant general manager
- Brock Aller — senior director of basketball operations
- Jon Nichols — senior director of analytics
- Brandon Weems — director of scouting
- 2020 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected, otherwise converts to 2021 and 2022 second-rounders) to New Orleans Pelicans (Kyle Korver, Jaxson Hayes).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Charlotte Hornets (Brendan Haywood, Anderson Varejao, Channing Frye, C.J. Wilcox, Miles Bridges).
- 2021 — Owed a protected (lottery protected in 2021, top-10 protected in 2022, conveys in 11-24 range in 2023, top-eight protected in 2024, otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders) first-rounder from the Milwaukee Bucks (George Hill), two years following Milwaukee’s obligation to the Phoenix Suns.
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Washington Wizards (Sam Dekker).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Houston Rockets (Alec Burks).
- 2024 — Utah Jazz can swap second-rounders with the Cleveland Cavaliers (George Hill).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 11/21/19 — No-trade restriction lifts on Alfonzo McKinnie.
- 1/10/20 — Alfonzo McKinnie’s $1,588,231 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Alfonzo McKinnie.
- 12/7/19 — Sam Dekker trade exception expires.
- 2/4/20 — Rodney Hood trade exception expires.
- 2/7/20 — Wade Baldwin and Nik Stauskas trade exceptions expire.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Collin Sexton, Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadline for Collin Sexton.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Collin Sexton.
- Before first day of 2022 season — Extension deadline for Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler.
- 6/29/23 — Cedi Osman’s $6,718,842 guarantees for 2023-24.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 4/11/19 — Parted ways with Coach Larry Drew.
- 5/13/19 — Hired Coach John Beilein.
- 5/14/19 — Received the 5th pick in the draft lottery.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Darius Garland (5th) and Dylan Windler (26th).
- 6/27/19 — Traded 2020, 2021, 2023 and 2024 second-rounders and $5 million to the Detroit Pistons for the rights to Kevin Porter Jr. (30th).
- 6/28/19 — Declined to extend qualifying offer to David Nwaba.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Dean Wade to a two-way contract.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Darius Garland (2019-5th) to a $24,665,868 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Dylan Windler (2019-26th) to a $10,449,718 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/3/19 — Signed Kevin Porter Jr. (2019-30th) to an $8,009,193 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/15/19 — Waived and stretched J.R. Smith.
- 8/5/19 — Signed Levi Randolph to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 8/5/19 — Signed Malik Newman to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/3/19 — Waived Levi Randolph and Malik Newman.
- 8/16/19 — Signed Jarell Martin to a non-guaranteed $1,737,145 minimum summer contract.
- 8/19/19 — Signed Alex Robinson to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/3/19 — Signed Sindarius Thornwell to a non-guaranteed $1,620,564 minimum summer contract.
- 9/3/19 — Signed Daniel Hamilton to a non-guaranteed $1,620,564 minimum summer contract.
- 9/3/19 — Signed J.P. Macura to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract.
- 9/3/19 — Signed Marques Bolden to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/23/19 — Waived Alex Robinson.
- 9/23/19 — Signed Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot to a non-guaranteed $1,678,854 minimum summer contract.
- 10/4/19 — Signed Sir’Dominic Pointer (2015-53rd) to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/4/19 — Waived Sir’Dominic Pointer.
- 10/17/19 — Waived Daniel Hamilton, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, PJ Macura and Sindarius Thornwell.
- 10/19/19 — Claimed Tyler Cook off waivers (Denver Nuggets).
- 10/19/19 –Waived Marques Bolden and Jarell Martin.
- 10/21/19 — Claimed Alfonzo McKinnie off waivers (Golden State Warriors).
- 10/25/19 — Signed Cedi Osman to a partially-guaranteed four-year $31,118,844 extension.
- 10/30/19 — Picked up Collin Sexton’s third-year rookie-scale option.
- 10/31/19 — Declined Ante Zizic’s fourth-year rookie-scale option.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Channing Frye ($1,620,564), Nik Stauskas ($1,620,564)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Arturas Gudaitis (2015-47th), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Chukwudiebere Maduabum (2011-56th), Sergey Gladyr (2009-49th), Renaldas Seibutis (2007-50th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
Arena: Quicken Loans Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 11/4/19)