Quick: Over the cap. Repeat tax eligible.
Salary Cap: $101,869,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Projected 2019-20 Cap Space ($109 million cap): None
Roster Count: 10 guaranteed, one partially-guaranteed
PG: Collin Sexton, Matthew Dellavedova
SG: Brandon Knight, Jordan Clarkson, J.R. Smith
SF: Cedi Osman
PF: Kevin Love
C: Ante Zizic, Larry Nance Jr., Tristan Thompson, John Henson
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Sam Dekker, expiring 12/7/19) — $2,760,095
- Trade Exception (Rodney Hood, expiring 2/4/20) — $266,728
- Trade Exception (Wade Baldwin, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,544,951
- Trade Exception (Nik Stauskas, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,512,601
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Early Bird: Dahntay Jones** ($1,618,486)
- Declined First: Marquese Chriss ($4,078,236)
- Non-Bird: David Nwaba (RFA*, $1,890,751), Channing Frye ($1,618,486), Nik Stauskas ($1,618,486), Deron Williams** ($1,618,486)
* If issued a qualifying offer.
** Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
- J.R. Smith $15,680,000 ($3,870,000 guaranteed)
2019 Draft Picks: 5th, 26th (from the Houston Rockets); Own 33rd to the Philadelphia 76ers
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Arturas Gudaitis (2015-47th), Sir’Dominic Pointer (2015-53rd), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Chukwudiebere Maduabum (2011-56th), Sergey Gladyr (2009-49th), Renaldas Seibutis (2007-50th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Canton Charge (Mike Gansey general manager, Nate Reinking coach)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: John Beilein
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning), Albert Padilla, Ed Subel
- Koby Altman — general manager
- Mike Gansey — assistant general manager
- Brock Aller — senior director of basketball operations
- Jon Nichols — senior director of analytics
- Brandon Weems — director of scouting
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from the Utah Jazz (Kyle Korver).
- 2020 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected, otherwise converts to 2021 and 2022 second-rounders) to Atlanta Hawks (Kyle Korver).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Charlotte Hornets (Brendan Haywood, Anderson Varejao, Channing Frye, C.J. Wilcox, Miles Bridges).
- 2021 — Owed a protected (lottery protected in 2021, top-10 protected in 2022, conveys in 11-24 range in 2023, top-eight protected in 2024, otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders) first-rounder from the Milwaukee Bucks (George Hill), two years following Milwaukee’s obligation to the Phoenix Suns.
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Rodney Hood)
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Washington Wizards (Sam Dekker).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Houston Rockets (Alec Burks).
- 2023 — Owed a second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Rodney Hood)
- 2024 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Miami HEAT (Dwyane Wade).
- 2024 — Utah Jazz can swap second-rounders with Cavaliers (George Hill).
Cash Paid ($5,243,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,243,000 max): $1,247,494 from Los Angeles Clippers (Sam Dekker) — $3,995,506 remaining
- 6/20/19 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline for David Nwaba.
- 6/30/19 — J.R. Smith’s $15,680,000 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline for Cedi Osman.
- 7/1/19-7/5/19 –NBA moratorium.
- 10/31/19 — Team options on Ante Zizic and Collin Sexton.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadline for Ante Zizic.
- 12/7/19 — Sam Dekker trade exception expires.
- 2/4/20 — Rodney Hood trade exception expires.
- 2/7/20 — Wade Baldwin and Nik Stauskas trade exceptions expire.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Collin Sexton.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Ante Zizic.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadline for Collin Sexton.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Collin Sexton.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 4/11/19 — Parted ways with Coach Larry Drew.
- 5/13/19 — Hired Coach John Beilein.
- 5/14/19 — Received the 5th pick in the draft lottery.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Quicken Loans Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 5/17/19)