Cleveland Cavaliers Team Salary
Quick: Currently over the cap and tax threshold.
Projected Cap Space for 2017-18 ($101 million cap): None
- Trade Exception (Sasha Kaun, expiring 7/17/17) — $1,333,420
- Trade Exception (Mike Dunleavy, expiring 1/8/18) — $4,837,500
- Trade Exception (Mo Williams, expiring 1/8/18) — $2,194,500
- Trade Exception (Chris Andersen, expiring 2/13/18) — $980.431
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception: $5,192,000
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Bird: Kyle Korver ($9,954,930), James Jones ($1,471,382)
- Non-Bird: Deron Williams ($1,471,382), Derrick Williams ($1,471,382), Dahntay Jones ($1,471,382), Shawn Marion ($1,471,382 cap hold)*
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
- Kay Felder $1,312,611 ($456,529 guaranteed)
- Edy Tavares $1,471,382
2017 Draft Picks: None; Own 26 to Portland Trail Blazers, 53 to Boston Celtics
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Cedi Osman (2015-31st), Sir’Dominic Pointer (2015-53rd), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Chukwudiebere Maduabum (2011-56th), Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
Roster Count: Eight guaranteed, two non/partially-guaranteed
PG: Kyrie Irving, Kay Felder
SG: Iman Shumpert, J.R. Smith
SF: LeBron James, Richard Jefferson
PF: Kevin Love
C: Tristan Thompson, Channing Frye, Edy Tavares
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- 6/22/17 — NBA Draft.
- 7/12/17 — No-trade restriction lifts on Edy Tavares.
- 7/17/17 — Sasha Kaun trade exception expires.
- 8/31/17 — Deadline to stretch a player’s salary for the 2017-18 season.
- 1/8/18 — Mo Williams and Mike Dunleavy trade exceptions expire.
- 1/10/18 — Edy Tavares $1,471,382 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 1/10/18 — Kay Felder’s $1,312,611 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 2/13/18 — Chris Andersen trade exception expires.
- Seven days prior to 2018 NBA Draft, by 6/29/18 — Iman Shumpert player option.
- 6/24/18 — Team option on Kay Felder, if taken, 2018-19 salary guarantees for $529,661.
- 6/24/18 — Team option on Edy Tavares.
- 6/29/18 — Player option on LeBron James.
- 1/10/19 — Richard Jefferson’s $2,612,500 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 1/10/19 — Kay Felder’s $1,544,951 guarantees for 2018-19.
- Seven days prior to 2019 NBA Draft, by 6/29/19 — Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving player options.
- 6/30/19 — Qualifying offer on Kay Felder.
- 6/30/19 — J.R. Smith’s $15,680,000 guarantees for 2019-20.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
No-Trade: LeBron James
Head Coach: Tyronn Lue (three-year deal, as of 2015-16 season — five-year, $35 million extension in July 2016, terms TBD)
Assistants: Larry Drew (associate head coach), Jim Boylan, Bret Brielmaier, James Posey, Phil Handy (also director of player development), Mike Longabardi, Damon Jones, Vitaly Potapenko (assistant director of player development)
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning)
- David Griffin — General Manager
- 2018 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Keith Bogans), may go to Charlotte Hornets (Andrei Kirilenko, Juan Pablo Vaulet).
- 2019 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2020, otherwise converts to 2021 and 2022 second-rounders) to Atlanta Hawks (Kyle Korver)
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Minnesota Timberwolves (Tyus Jones).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Los Angeles Lakers (Roy Hibbert, Rakeem Christmas).
- 2019 — Owe higher of Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Lakers second-rounders to Portland Trail Blazers (Brendan Haywood), both possibly to Trail Blazers, if owed first-rounder is not conveyed. (Anderson Varejao).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to New York Knicks (Dion Waiters), possibly to Orlando Magic (Kyle O’Quinn).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Portland Trail Blazers (Mo Harkless, Joe Harris).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Los Angeles Clippers (Brendan Haywood, Anderson Varejao, Channing Frye, C.J. Wilcox).
Cash Paid ($3.5 million max): $200,000 to Milwaukee Bucks (Matthew Dellavedova); $1.8 million to Philadelphia 76ers (Sasha Kaun); $750,000 to Atlanta Hawks (Kyle Korver); $750,000 to Charlotte Hornets (Chris Andersen) — $0 remaining
Cash Received ($3.5 million max): $0
- Kyrie Irving — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
D-League Affiliate: Canton Charge (Nate Reinking coach)
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 4/21/17)