Quick: Over the cap. Repeat tax eligible.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($117 million cap): Up to $43.4 million, less with a top-10 first-rounder and Cedi Osman’s cap hold.
Roster Count: 13 guaranteed, two non-guaranteed, one two-way
PG: Collin Sexton, Darius Garland, Matthew Dellavedova
SG: Brandon Knight, Jordan Clarkson, Kevin Porter Jr., Levi Randolph, Malik Newman
SF: Cedi Osman, Dylan Windler
PF: Kevin Love, Dean Wade (two-way)
C: Ante Zizic, Larry Nance Jr., Tristan Thompson, John Henson
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Sam Dekker, expiring 12/7/19) — $2,760,095
- Trade Exception (Rodney Hood, expiring 2/4/20) — $266,728
- Trade Exception (Wade Baldwin, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,544,951
- Trade Exception (Nik Stauskas, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,512,601
- Mid-Level Exception — $9,258,000
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Declined First: Marquese Chriss ($4,078,236)
- Non-Bird: Channing Frye ($1,620,564), Nik Stauskas ($1,620,564)
- Levi Randolph $898,310
Waived Players: J.R. Smith (stretched)
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Canton Charge (Mike Gansey general manager, Nate Reinking coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Dean Wade
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: John Beilein
Assistants: J.B. Bickerstaff (associate head coach), Lindsay Gottlieb, Antonio Lang, Mike Longabardi, James Posey
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning), Albert Padilla, Ed Subel
- Koby Altman — general manager
- Mike Gansey — assistant general manager
- Brock Aller — senior director of basketball operations
- Jon Nichols — senior director of analytics
- Brandon Weems — director of scouting
- 2020 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected, otherwise converts to 2021 and 2022 second-rounders) to New Orleans Pelicans (Kyle Korver, Jaxson Hayes).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Charlotte Hornets (Brendan Haywood, Anderson Varejao, Channing Frye, C.J. Wilcox, Miles Bridges).
- 2021 — Owed a protected (lottery protected in 2021, top-10 protected in 2022, conveys in 11-24 range in 2023, top-eight protected in 2024, otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders) first-rounder from the Milwaukee Bucks (George Hill), two years following Milwaukee’s obligation to the Phoenix Suns.
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Washington Wizards (Sam Dekker).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Houston Rockets (Alec Burks).
- 2024 — Utah Jazz can swap second-rounders with the Cleveland Cavaliers (George Hill).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 10/31/19 — Team options on Ante Zizic and Collin Sexton.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadline for Ante Zizic.
- 12/7/19 — Sam Dekker trade exception expires.
- 12/15/19 — No-trade restrictions lift on Levi Randolph and Malik Newman.
- 1/10/20 — Levi Randolph and Malik Newman’s $898,310 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 2/4/20 — Rodney Hood trade exception expires.
- 2/7/20 — Wade Baldwin and Nik Stauskas trade exceptions expire.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Cedi Osman, Levi Randolph and Malik Newman.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Collin Sexton, Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Ante Zizic.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadline for Collin Sexton.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Collin Sexton.
- Before first day of 2022 season — Extension deadline for Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 4/11/19 — Parted ways with Coach Larry Drew.
- 5/13/19 — Hired Coach John Beilein.
- 5/14/19 — Received the 5th pick in the draft lottery.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Darius Garland (5th) and Dylan Windler (26th).
- 6/27/19 — Traded 2020, 2021, 2023 and 2024 second-rounders and $5 million to the Detroit Pistons for the rights to Kevin Porter Jr. (30th).
- 6/28/19 — Declined to extend qualifying offer to David Nwaba.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Dean Wade to a two-way contract.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Darius Garland (2019-5th) to a $24,665,868 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Dylan Windler (2019-26th) to a $10,449,718 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/3/19 — Signed Kevin Porter Jr. (2019-30th) to an $8,009,193 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/15/19 — Waived and stretched J.R. Smith.
- 8/5/19 — Signed Levi Randolph to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 8/5/19 — Signed Malik Newman to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Arturas Gudaitis (2015-47th), Sir’Dominic Pointer (2015-53rd), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Chukwudiebere Maduabum (2011-56th), Sergey Gladyr (2009-49th), Renaldas Seibutis (2007-50th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
Arena: Quicken Loans Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/12/19)