Cleveland Cavaliers Team Salary
Quick: Over the cap, above the luxury-tax threshold.
Projected 2016-17 Cap Space: $0-$15.8 million
- Trade Exception (Brendan Haywood, expiring 7/30/16) — $2,329,471 (partially used on Channing Frye)
- Trade Exception (Mike Miller, expiring 7/30/16) — $2,854,940
- Trade Exception (Joe Harris, expiring 1/12/17) — $845,059
- Trade Exception (Anderson Varejao, expiring 2/18/17) — $9,638,554
- Trade Exception (Jared Cunningham, expiring 2/18/17) — $947,276
- Mid-Level Exception: $5,628,000
- Bi-Annual Exception: $2,203,000
- Room Exception*: $2,898,000
*If team goes under the cap, they will lose all of their exceptions, but gain the room exception. If the team stays over the cap, they lose the room exception.
2016/17 Roster Count: Six guaranteed, two non/partially-guaranteed (after J.R. Smith’s player option), three player options, one team option
Draft Picks: None
- Bird: Timofey Mozgov, Matt Dellavedova (restricted)
- Early Bird: James Jones
- Non-Bird: Richard Jefferson, Shawn Marion*
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Players only restricted if team gives qualifying offers.
Non-Guaranteed Salaries: J.R. Smith ($5,375,000 — $2,150,000 guaranteed, after player option), Dahntay Jones ($1,551,659)
Options: LeBron James ($24,004,173 — player), J.R. Smith ($5,375,000), Mo Williams ($2,194,500 — player), Jordan McRae ($874,636 — team)
Qualifying Offers: Matthew Dellavedova ($1,434,095)
PG: Kyrie Irving, Mo Williams
SG: J.R. Smith, Iman Shumpert, Dahntay Jones, Jordan McRae
SF: LeBron James
PF: Kevin Love, Channing Frye
C: Tristan Thompson, Sasha Kaun
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
2017/18 Rookie-Scale Options: None
Rookie Scale Extension Eligible: None
- 6/9/16 — No-trade restriction lifts on Jordan McRae.
- 6/13/16 — Mo Williams player option.
- 6/16/16 — J.R. Smith player option.
- 6/23/16 — 2016 NBA Draft.
- 6/29/16 — LeBron James player option.
- 6/29/16 — Team option on Jordan McRae (estimated).
- 6/30/16 — Qualifying offer deadline for Matt Dellavedova.
- 7/1/16-7/6/16 — NBA annual moratorium.
- 7/7/16 — Free agent signing period begins
- 7/13/16 — No-trade restriction lifts on Dahntay Jones.
- 7/30/16 — Brendan Haywood $2.3 million and Mike Miller $2.9 million trade exceptions expire.
- 8/1/16 — Dahntay Jones’ $1,551,659 guarantees for 2016/17.
- 9/7/16 — J.R. Smith’s $5.4 million guarantees for 16/17.
- 1/12/17 — Joe Harris $845k trade exception expires.
- 2/18/17 — Anderson Varejao $9.6 million and Jared Cunningham $947k trade exceptions expire.
- 6/30/17 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Sasha Kaun and Jordan McRae.
- Seven days prior to 2018 NBA Draft, by 6/29/18 — Iman Shumpert player option.
- Seven days prior to 2019 NBA Draft, by 6/29/19 — Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving player options.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Cedi Osman (2015-31st), Sir’Dominic Pointer (2015-53rd), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
Head Coach: Tyronn Lue (three-year deal, as of 2015-16 season)
Assistants: Jim Boylan, Bret Brielmaier, Larry Drew, James Posey, Phil Handy, Mike Longabardi
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning)
- David Griffin — General Manager
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to Boston Celtics (Keith Bogans).
- 2018 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2019, but two years after Phoenix Suns obligation, if not conveyed, converts to lower second-rounder of Los Angeles Lakers/Minnesota Timberwolves, and a 2012 Cavaliers second-rounder) to Portland Trail Blazers (Anderson Varejao).
- 2018 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Keith Bogans), may go to Charlotte Hornets (Andrei Kirilenko, Juan Pablo Vaulet).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Minnesota Timberwolves (Tyus Jones).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Los Angeles Lakers (Roy Hibbert).
- 2019 — Owed higher of Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Lakers second-rounders from Portland Trail Blazers (Brendan Haywood), possibly to Portland Trail Blazers (Anderson Varejao).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to New York Knicks (Dion Waiters).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Portland Trail Blazers (Mo Harkless, Joe Harris).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Cleveland Cavaliers (Brendan Haywood, Anderson Varejao, Channing Frye).
Cash Paid ($3.4 million max): $934,614 to Orlando Magic (Joe Harris)
Cash Received ($3.4 million max): $75,000 from Portland Trail Blazers (Brendan Haywood)
- LeBron James — 15%
- Kyrie Irving — 15%
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
Amnesty: Used on Baron Davis
D-League Affiliate: Canton Charge
- Shawn Marion — $980,431 (Non-Bird)
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 5/17/16)