Quick: Over the cap. Repeat tax eligible.
Salary Cap: $101,869,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Projected 2019-20 Cap Space ($109 million cap): Up to $23.4 million.
Roster Count: Fourteen guaranteed, one non-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: George Hill, Collin Sexton, Isaiah Taylor
SG: J.R. Smith, Jordan Clarkson, David Nwaba, John Holland (two-way)
SF: Kyle Korver, Rodney Hood, Cedi Osman
PF: Kevin Love, Larry Nance Jr., Sam Dekker, Billy Preston (two-way)
C: Tristan Thompson, Channing Frye, Ante Zizic
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
2018-19 Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- James Jones* ($1,499,698, full Bird)
- Dahntay Jones* ($1,499,698, early Bird)
- Deron Williams* ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
- Shawn Marion* ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
- Isaiah Taylor $1,512,601
- Trade Exception (Richard Jefferson, expiring 10/14/18) — $2,500,000
- Trade Exception (Kay Felder, expiring 10/14/18) — $1,312,611
- Trade Exception (Dwyane Wade, expiring 2/8/19) — $1,471,382
- Mid-Level Exception — $8,641,000
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,382,000
Note: If team needs to avoid a hard cap, they lose the standard Mid-Level and Bi-Annual Exceptions and gain the $5,337,000 Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception.
Waived Players: London Perrantes (two-way), Kendrick Perkins, Okaro White
Traded Players: None
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Rodney Hood (implicit)
G-League Affiliate: Canton Charge (Mike Gansey general manager, Nate Reinking coach)
Two-Way Contracts: John Holland, Billy Preston
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: Tyronn Lue (three-year deal, as of 2015-16 season — five-year, $35 million extension in July 2016, terms TBD)
Assistants: Larry Drew (associate head coach), Jim Boylan, Bret Brielmaier, James Posey, Phil Handy (also director of player development), Mike Longabardi, Damon Jones, Vitaly Potapenko (assistant director of player development)
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning)
- Koby Altman — general manager
- Mike Gansey — assistant general manager
- Brock Aller — senior director of basketball operations
- Jon Nichols — senior director of analytics
- Brandon Weems — director of scouting
- 2019 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2020, otherwise converts to 2021 and 2022 second-rounders) to Atlanta Hawks (Kyle Korver)
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Orlando Magic, Sacramento Kings, New York Knicks or Detroit Pistons. Magic will receive the highest of the Cavaliers, Rockets, Blazers and their own pick. The Kings receive the second-highest of the Magic, Cavaliers and Rockets’ picks. The Knicks will get the lowest of the three picks. The Pistons will get the lowest of either the Blazers’ pick or the highest of the Orlando, Cavaliers and Rockets’ picks (Iman Shumpert, Pablo Prigioni, Kyle O’Quinn, Jake Layman, Jodie Meeks, Scott Perry).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Charlotte Hornets (Brendan Haywood, Anderson Varejao, Channing Frye, C.J. Wilcox, Miles Bridges).
- 2024 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Miami HEAT (Dwyane Wade).
- 2024 — Utah Jazz can swap second-rounders with Cavaliers (George Hill).
Cash Paid ($5,243,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,243,000 max): $1,247,494 from Los Angeles Clippers (Sam Dekker) — $3,995,506 remaining
- 10/14/18 — Richard Jefferson and Kay Felder trade exceptions expire.
- Before first day of 2018 season — Extension deadline for Larry Nance Jr. and Sam Dekker.
- 10/31/18 — Team option on Ante Zizic.
- 12/15/18 — No-trade restrictions lifts on Isaiah Tylor, David Nwaba and Channing Frye.
- 1/10/19 — Isaiah Taylor’s $1,512,601 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 1/15/19 — No-trade restriction lifts on Rodney Hood.
- 1/24/19 — No-trade restriction lifts on Kevin Love.
- 2/8/19 — Dwyane Wade trade exception expires.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline for David Nwaba, Isaiah Taylor, Larry Nance Jr. and Sam Dekker.
- 7/1/19 — George Hill’s $18.0 million guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/30/19 — J.R. Smith’s $15,680,000 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 7/7/19 — Kyle Korver’s $7.5 million guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline for Cedi Osman.
- 10/31/19 — Team options on Ante Zizic and Collin Sexton.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadline for Ante Zizic.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Collin Sexton.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Ante Zizic.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadline for Collin Sexton.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Collin Sexton.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/21/18 — Drafted Collin Sexton (8th).
- 6/27/18 — Issued qualifying offer to Rodney Hood.
- 6/27/18 — Opted Kendrick Perkins into the final year of his contract.
- 6/30/18 — LeBron James opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 7/4/18 — Signed Collin Sexton (2018-8th) to a $20,175,111 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/7/18 — Signed Billy Preston to a two-way contract.
- 7/19/18 — Signed Channing Frye to a one-year $2,393,887 minimum contract.
- 7/24/18 — Signed Kevin Love to a four-year $120,414,245 contract extension.
- 8/7/18 — Traded the rights to Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th) to Los Angeles Clippers for Sam Dekker, the rights to Renaldas Seibutis (2007-50th) and $1,247,494.
- 8/22/18 — Kyrie Irving trade exception ($3,051,019) expired.
- 8/16/18 — Signed Isaiah Taylor to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,512,601 minimum summer contract.
- 9/8/18 — Signed David Nwaba to a one-year $1,512,601 minimum contract.
- 9/9/18 — Re-signed Rodney Hood to his one-year $3,472,888 qualifying offer.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Arturas Gudaitis (2015-47th), Sir’Dominic Pointer (2015-53rd), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Chukwudiebere Maduabum (2011-56th), Sergey Gladyr (2009-49th), Renaldas Seibutis (2007-50th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
Arena: Quicken Loans Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/10/18)