Cleveland Cavaliers Team Salary
Quick: Over the cap, above the luxury-tax threshold.
Projected 2016-17 Cap Space: $0-$25.8 million
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception: $1,276,000 (partially spent on Mo Williams)
- Trade Exception (Keith Bogans, expiring 9/27/15) — $635,816
- Trade Exception (Brendan Haywood, expiring 7/30/16) — $10,522,500
- Trade Exception (Mike Miller, expiring 7/30/16) — $2,854,940
Roster Count: 11 guaranteed
PG: Kyrie Irving. Mo Williams, Matt Dellavedova
SG: Iman Shumpert, Richard Jefferson, Joe Harris
SF: LeBron James, James Jones
PF: Kevin Love
C: Timofey Mozgov, Anderson Varejao
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Bird: J.R. Smith, Tristan Thompson (restricted)
- Non-Bird: Shawn Marion (retiring)
- 9/27/15 — Keith Bogans $636k trade exception expires.
- 12/15/15 — The no-trade restriction lifts on LeBron James, Mo Williams and Richard Jefferson.
- 1/15/16 — The no-trade restriction lifts on Kevin Love and Iman Shumpert.
- 6/30/16 — Joe Harris’ $980k guarantees for 16/17.
- 7/30/16 — Brendan Haywood $10.5 million trade exception expires.
- 7/30/16 — Mike Miller $2.9 million trade exception expires.
- 1/10/17 — Anderson Varejao’s $10.4 million guarantees for 16/17.
- 8/1/17 — Anderson Varejao’s salary guarantees for 4.5 million for 17/18.
- 1/10/18 — Anderson Varejao’s $10.0 million guarantees for 17/18.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/22/15 — Opted Timofey Mozgov into the final year on his contract.
- 6/25/15 — Kevin Love opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 6/25/15 — Traded Tyus Jones (2015-24th) to Minnesota Timberwolves for Cedi Osman (2015-31st) and Rakeem Christmas (2015-36th) and a 2019 second-rounder.
- 6/25/15 — Selected Sir’ Dominic Pointer with the 53rd pick in the draft.
- 6/29/15 — Tendered a qualifying offer to Iman Shumpert.
- 6/29/15 — Tendered a qualifying offer to Tristan Thompson.
- 6/29/15 — Tendered a qualifying offer to Matt Dellavedova.
- 6/29/15 — J.R. Smith opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 6/30/15 — Mike Miller opted into the final year of his contract.
- 6/30/15 — LeBron James outed out of the final year of his contract.
- 7/9/15 — Signed Kevin Love to a five-year, $113.2 million deal, player option on final season.
- 7/9/15 — Signed Iman Shumpert to a four-year, $40 million contract, player option on final season.
- 7/10/15 — Signed LeBron James to a two-year, $50 million contract, player option on final season.
- 7/10/15 — Signed Mo Williams to a two-year, $4.3 million contract, player option on second season.
- 7/23/15 — Traded the rights to Rakeem Christmas (2015-36th) to Indiana Pacers for a 2019 second-round from Los Angeles Lakers.
- 7/24/15 — Reportedly agreed to sign James Jones to a $1.5 million minimum contract.
- 7/25/15 — Signed Matt Dellavedova to his one-year, $1.1 million qualifying offer.
- 7/27/15 — Traded Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, a 2019 second-rounder (higher of Minnesota Timberwolves or Los Angeles Lakers) and a 2020 second-rounder to Portland Trail Blazers for $75k.
- 8/5/15 — Signed Richardson Jefferson to a $1.5 million minimum contract.
No-Trade: LeBron James, James Jones, Matt Dellavedova
Waived Players: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Cedi Osman (2015-31st), Sir’Dominic Pointer (2015-53rd), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Sasha Kaun (2008-56th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
Head Coach: David Blatt (signed in 2014 for four years, up to $20 million, fourth year team option).
Assistants: Tyronn Lue (Associate Head Coach), Jim Boylan, Bret Brielmaier, Larry Drew, James Posey, Phil Handy
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning)
- David Griffin — General Manager
- 2016 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Los Angeles Clippers (Rasual Butler, Alonzo Gee).
- 2016 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2018, unprotected in 2019) to Phoenix Suns (Tyler Zeller, Isaiah Thomas).
- 2016 — Owe second-rounder to Boston Celtics (Keith Bogans).
- 2017 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Sacramento Kings (Marquis Daniels, Keith Bogans).
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to Boston Celtics (Keith Bogans).
- 2018 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Keith Bogans), may go to Charlotte Hornets (Andrei Kirilenko, Juan Pablo Vaulet).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Minnesota Timberwolves (Tyus Jones).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Los Angeles Lakers (Roy Hibbert).
- 2019 — Owed higher of Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Lakers second-rounders to Portland Trail Blazers (Brendan Haywood).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to New York Knicks (Dion Waiters).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Portland Trail Blazers (Brendan Haywood).
Cash Paid ($3.4 million max): $0
Cash Received ($3.4 million max): $75 from Portland Trail Blazers (Brendan Haywood)
- LeBron James — 15%
- Kyrie Irving — 15%
- Matt Dellavedova — 15%
- Anderson Varejao — 5%
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
Amnesty: Used on Baron Davis
D-League Affiliate: Canton Charge
- J.R. Smith — $9,773,265 (Bird)
- Shawn Marion — $974,276 (Non-Bird)
- Tristan Thompson — $11.9 million (Bird)
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/22/15)