Cleveland Cavaliers Team Salary
Quick: Over the cap, but can get to nearly $10.4 million in cap space
NBA Salary Cap: $94,143,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $113,287,000
Projected Cap Space for 2017-18 ($102 million cap): $19.4 million
- Trade Exception (Brendan Haywood, expiring 7/30/16) — $2,329,471 (partially used on Channing Frye)
- Trade Exception (Mike Miller, expiring 7/30/16) — $2,854,940
- Trade Exception (Joe Harris, expiring 1/12/17) — $845,059
- Trade Exception (Anderson Varejao, expiring 2/18/17) — $9,638,554
- Trade Exception (Jared Cunningham, expiring 2/18/17) — $947,276
- Trade Exception (Sasha Kaun, expiring 8/15/17) — $1,333,420
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception: $977,000 (Richard Jefferson)
Roster Count: Nine guaranteed, two non-guaranteed
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Kay Felder (2016-54th), Cedi Osman (2015-31st), Sir’Dominic Pointer (2015-53rd), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Chukwudiebere Maduabum (2011-56th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
- Bird: J.R. Smith ($9,500,000 cap hold)
- Early Bird: LeBron James ($29,861,650 cap hold), James Jones ($980.431 cap hold)
- Non-Bird: Shawn Marion ($980,431 cap hold)*
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Non-Guaranteed Salaries: Dahntay Jones ($1,551,659)
PG: Kyrie Irving, Mo Williams
SG: Dahntay Jones, Jordan McRae
SF: Iman Shumpert, Mike Dunleavy, Richard Jefferson
PF: Kevin Love, Channing Frye
C: Tristan Thompson, Chris Andersen
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
2017/18 Rookie-Scale Options: None
Rookie Scale Extension Eligible: None
- 7/30/16 — Brendan Haywood $2.3 million and Mike Miller $2.9 million trade exceptions expire.
- 8/1/16 — Dahntay Jones’ $1,551,659 guarantees for 2016-17.
- 12/15/16 — The trade restriction lifts on Chris Andersen and Richard Jefferson.
- 1/10/17 — Jordan McRae’s $874,636 guarantees for 2016-17.
- 1/12/17 — Joe Harris $845k trade exception expires.
- 2/18/17 — Anderson Varejao $9.6 million and Jared Cunningham $947k trade exceptions expire.
- 6/30/17 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Sasha Kaun and Jordan McRae.
- 7/1/17 — Mike Dunleavy’s $5.2 million guarantees for 2017-18.
- 8/15/17 — Sasha Kaun $1.3 million trade exception expires.
- Seven days prior to 2018 NBA Draft, by 6/29/18 — Iman Shumpert player option.
- 1/10/19 — Richard Jefferson’s $2,612,500 guarantees for 2018-19.
- Seven days prior to 2019 NBA Draft, by 6/29/19 — Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving player options.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/15/16 — J.R. Smith opted out of the final year on his contract.
- 6/14/16 — Mo Williams opted into the final year on his contract.
- 6/23/16 — Traded cash (TBD) to Atlanta Hawks for the rights to Kay Felder (54th).
- 6/29/16 — LeBron James opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 6/29/16 — Exercised team option for the final year of Jordan McRae’s contract.
- 6/30/16 — Issued qualifying offer to Matt Dellavedova.
- 7/7/16 — Sign and traded Matthew Dellavedova to Milwaukee Bucks and $200,000 for the rights to Albert Miralles (2004-39th).
- 7/7/16 — Traded the rights to Albert Miralles (2004-39th) to Chicago Bulls for Mike Dunleavy and the rights to Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th).
- 7/15/16 — Traded Sasha Kaun and cash (TBD) to Philadelphia 76ers for the rights to Chukwudiebere Maduabum (2011-56th).
- 7/21/16 — Signed Chris Andersen to a one-year, $1.6 million contract.
- 7/27/16 — Signed Coach Tyronn Lue to an estimated five-year, $35 million extension (TBD).
- 7/28/16 — Signed Richard Jefferson to a three-year, partially-guaranteed $7,612,500 contract.
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Head Coach: Tyronn Lue (three-year deal, as of 2015-16 season — five-year, $35 million extension in July 2016, terms TBD)
Assistants: Jim Boylan, Bret Brielmaier, Larry Drew, James Posey, Phil Handy, Mike Longabardi
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning)
- David Griffin — General Manager
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to Boston Celtics (Keith Bogans).
- 2018 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2019 — if not conveyed in 2019, converts to lower 2019 second-rounder of Los Angeles Lakers/Minnesota Timberwolves, and a 2021 Cavaliers second-rounder) to Portland Trail Blazers (Anderson Varejao).
- 2018 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Keith Bogans), may go to Charlotte Hornets (Andrei Kirilenko, Juan Pablo Vaulet).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Minnesota Timberwolves (Tyus Jones).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Los Angeles Lakers (Roy Hibbert, Rakeem Christmas).
- 2019 — Owe higher of Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Lakers second-rounders to Portland Trail Blazers (Brendan Haywood), both possibly to Trail Blazers, if owed first-rounder is not conveyed. (Anderson Varejao).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to New York Knicks (Dion Waiters), possibly to Orlando Magic (Kyle O’Quinn).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Portland Trail Blazers (Mo Harkless, Joe Harris).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Orlando Magic (Brendan Haywood, Anderson Varejao, Channing Frye).
Cash Paid ($3.5 million max): $200,000 to Milwaukee Bucks (Matthew Dellavedova); TBD to Philadelphia 76ers (Sasha Kaun)
Cash Received ($3.5 million max): $0
- Kyrie Irving — 15%
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
Amnesty: Used on Baron Davis
D-League Affiliate: Canton Charge
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 7/28/16)