Quick: Currently over the cap and tax threshold. Repeat tax eligible.
Salary Cap: $99,093,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $119,266,000
Projected 2018-19 Cap Space ($101 million cap): Up to $14.8 million
- Trade Exception (Mike Dunleavy, expiring 1/8/18) — $4,837,500
- Trade Exception (Mo Williams, expiring 1/8/18) — $549,300
- Trade Exception (Chris Andersen, expiring 2/13/18) — $980,431
- Trade Exception (Kyrie Irving, expiring 8/22/18) — $5,811,114
- Trade Exception (Richard Jefferson, expiring 10/14/18) — $2,500,000
- Trade Exception (Kay Felder, expiring 10/14/18) — $1,312,611
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception: $2,549,143 (Cedi Osman)
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed
PG: Jose Calderon, Derrick Rose (injured), Isaiah Thomas (injured)
SG: J.R. Smith, Dwyane Wade, Kyle Korver, Cedi Osman
SF: LeBron James, Iman Shumpert (injured)
PF: Jae Crowder, Jeff Green
C: Kevin Love, Channing Frye, Ante Zizic, Tristan Thompson (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
G-League Affiliate: Canton Charge (Nate Reinking coach)
Two-Way Contracts: John Holland (two-year), London Perrantes (two-year)
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,608/$528
- LeBron James — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: LeBron James
Head Coach: Tyronn Lue (three-year deal, as of 2015-16 season — five-year, $35 million extension in July 2016, terms TBD)
Assistants: Larry Drew (associate head coach), Jim Boylan, Bret Brielmaier, James Posey, Phil Handy (also director of player development), Mike Longabardi, Damon Jones, Vitaly Potapenko (assistant director of player development)
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning)
- Koby Altman — general manager
- Mike Gansey — assistant general manager
- Brock Aller — senior director of basketball operations
- Jon Nichols — senior director of analytics
- Brandon Weems — director of scouting
- 2018 — Owed first-rounder from Brooklyn Nets (Kevin Garnett, Kyrie Irving).
- 2018 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Keith Bogans), may go to Charlotte Hornets (Andrei Kirilenko, Juan Pablo Vaulet).
- 2019 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2020, otherwise converts to 2021 and 2022 second-rounders) to Atlanta Hawks (Kyle Korver)
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Minnesota Timberwolves (Tyus Jones).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Los Angeles Lakers (Roy Hibbert, Rakeem Christmas).
- 2019 — Owe higher of Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Lakers second-rounders to Portland Trail Blazers (Brendan Haywood), both possibly to Trail Blazers, if owed first-rounder is not conveyed. (Anderson Varejao).
- 2019 — Owe less favorable second-rounder of Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Lakers to Atlanta Hawks (Richard Jefferson).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to New York Knicks (Dion Waiters), possibly to Orlando Magic (Kyle O’Quinn).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from Miami HEAT (Zoran Dragic, Kyrie Irving).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Los Angeles Clippers (Brendan Haywood, Anderson Varejao, Channing Frye, C.J. Wilcox).
Cash Paid ($5.1 million max): $3.0 million to Atlanta Hawks (Richard Jefferson)
Cash Received ($5.1 million max): $0
- 12/15/17 — No-trade restrictions lift on Jeff Green, Derrick Rose, Kyle Korver and Jose Calderon.
- 12/27/17 — No-trade restriction lifts on Dwyane Wade.
- 1/8/18 — Mo Williams and Mike Dunleavy trade exceptions expire.
- 2/13/18 — Chris Andersen trade exception expires.
- Seven days prior to 2018 NBA Draft, by 6/29/18 — Iman Shumpert player option.
- 6/29/18 — Player option on LeBron James.
- 7/1/18-7/5/18 — NBA moratorium.
- 8/22/18 — Kyrie Irving trade exception expires.
- 10/14/18 — Richard Jefferson and Kay Felder trade exceptions expire.
- 10/31/18 — Team option on Ante Zizic.
- 1/10/19 — Edy Tavares’ $1,600,520 guarantees for 2018-19.
- Seven days prior to 2019 NBA Draft, by 6/29/19 — Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving player options.
- 6/30/19 — J.R. Smith’s $15,680,000 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 7/7/19 — Kyle Korver’s $7.5 million guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline for Cedi Osman.
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Ante Zizic.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadline for Ante Zizic.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Ante Zizic.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/19/17 — Parted ways with general manager David Griffin.
- 7/10/17 — Signed Jose Calderon to a one-year, $2,328,652 contract.
- 7/10/17 — Signed Jeff Green to a one-year, $2,116,955 contract.
- 7/12/17 — Signed Kyle Korver to a partially-guaranteed three-year, $22,060,000 contract.
- 7/18/17 — Signed Cedi Osman (2015-31st) to a three-year, $8,325,000 contract.
- 7/25/17 — Signed Derrick Rose to a one-year, $2,116,955 contract.
- 8/22/17 — Traded Kyrie Irving to Boston Celtics for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, a Brooklyn Nets first-rounder and a 2020 Miami Heat second-rounder.
- 9/9/17 — Signed John Holland to a two-year, two-way contract.
- 9/25/17 — Signed Kendrick Perkins to a non-guaranteed one-year, $2,328,652 summer contract with exhibit nine.
- 9/26/17 — Signed Jacorey Williams to a non-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 summer contract.
- 9/27/17 — Signed Dwyane Wade to a one-year, $2,328,652 contract.
- 10/10/17 — Signed Isaac Hamilton to a non-guaranteed one-year, $815,615 summer contract with exhibits nine and 10.
- 10/14/17 — Traded Richard Jefferson and Kay Felder, a 2019 second-rounder, a protected 2020 second-rounder and $3.0 million to Atlanta Hawks for the rights to Dimitrios Agravanis (2015-59th) and Sergey Gladyr (2009-49th)
- 10/18/17 — Signed London Perrantes to a two-year, two-way contract.
Waived Players: Jacorey Williams, Isaac Hamilton, Kendrick Perkins, Edy Tavares
Traded Players: Kyrie Irving, Richard Jefferson, Kay Felder
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Sir’Dominic Pointer (2015-53rd), Dimitrios Agravanis (2015-59th), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Chukwudiebere Maduabum (2011-56th), Sergey Gladyr (2009-49th), Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
Arena: Quicken Loans Arena
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Bird: James Jones ($1,471,382)
- Non-Bird: Deron Williams ($1,471,382), Derrick Williams ($1,471,382), Dahntay Jones ($1,471,382), Shawn Marion ($1,471,382 cap hold*)
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 11/18/17)