Cleveland Cavaliers Team Salary
Quick: Over the cap and tax threshold.
NBA Salary Cap: $94,143,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $113,287,000
Projected Cap Space for 2017-18 ($102 million cap): None
- Trade Exception (Joe Harris, expiring 1/12/17) — $845,059
- Trade Exception (Anderson Varejao, expiring 2/18/17) — $9,638,554
- Trade Exception (Jared Cunningham, expiring 2/18/17) — $947,276
- Trade Exception (Sasha Kaun, expiring 8/15/17) — $1,333,420
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception: $433,529 (Richard Jefferson, Kay Felder)
Roster Count: 12 guaranteed, eight non/partially-guaranteed
- Bird: J.R. Smith ($9,500,000 cap hold)
- Non-Bird: Shawn Marion ($980,431 cap hold)*
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Non-Guaranteed Salaries: Jordan McRae ($874,636), DeAndre Liggins ($1,015,696 — $25,000 guaranteed), Dahntay Jones ($1,551,659), Markel Brown ($980,431), Cory Jefferson ($980,431), John Holland ($874,636), Jonathan Holmes ($543,471), Toney Douglas ($1,315,448)
PG: Kyrie Irving, Kay Felder, Toney Douglas, Mo Williams (retiring)
SG: Iman Shumpert, Richard Jefferson, Jordan McRae, DeAndre Liggins, Markel Brown, John Holland, Dahntay Jones
SF: LeBron James, Mike Dunleavy, James Jones, Jonathon Holmes
PF: Kevin Love, Channing Frye, Cory Jefferson
C: Tristan Thompson, Chris Andersen
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
2017/18 Rookie-Scale Options: None
Rookie Scale Extension Eligible: None
- 12/15/16 — No-trade restrictions lift on James Jones, DeAndre Liggins, Chris Andersen and Richard Jefferson.
- 12/23/16 — No-trade restrictions lift on Markel Brown, Cory Jefferson and John Holland.
- 12/26/16 — No-trade restrictions lift on Dahntay Jones and Jonathan Holmes.
- 1/3/17 — No-trade restriction lifts on Toney Douglas.
- 1/10/17 — Dahntay Jones’ $1,551,659 guarantees for 2016-17.
- 1/10/17 — Toney Douglas’ $1,315,448 guarantees for 2016-17.
- 1/10/17 — DeAndre Liggins’ $1,015,696 guarantees for 2016-17.
- 1/10/17 — Markel Brown and Cory Jefferson’s $980,431 guarantees for 2016-17.
- 1/10/17 — Jordan McRae’s $874,636 guarantees for 2016-17.
- 1/10/17 — Jonathan Holmes’ $543,471 guarantees for 2016-17.
- 1/12/17 — Joe Harris $845,059 trade exception expires.
- 1/15/17 — No-trade restriction lifts on LeBron James.
- 2/18/17 — Anderson Varejao $9.6 million and Jared Cunningham $947k trade exceptions expire.
- 6/24/17 — Team option on DeAndre Liggins, if taken, 2017-18 salary guaranteed for $26,773.
- 6/30/17 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Jonathan Holmes, John Holland, Markel Brown, Cory Jefferson and Jordan McRae.
- 7/1/17 — Mike Dunleavy’s $5.2 million guarantees for 2017-18.
- 8/15/17 — Sasha Kaun $1.3 million trade exception expires.
- 8/31/17 — Deadline to stretch a player’s salary for the 2017-18 season.
- 1/10/18 — DeAndre Liggins’ $1,087,745 guarantees for 2017-18.
- 1/10/18 — Kay Felder’s $905,249 guarantees for 2017-18.
- Seven days prior to 2018 NBA Draft, by 6/29/18 — Iman Shumpert player option.
- 6/24/18 — Team option on Kay Felder, if taken, 2018-19 salary guarantees for $529,661.
- 6/29/18 — Estimated player option on LeBron James.
- 1/10/19 — Richard Jefferson’s $2,612,500 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 1/10/19 — Kay Felder’s $1,050,262 guarantees for 2018-19.
- Seven days prior to 2019 NBA Draft, by 6/29/19 — Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving player options.
- 6/30/19 — Qualifying offer on Kay Felder.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/15/16 — J.R. Smith opted out of the final year on his contract.
- 6/14/16 — Mo Williams opted into the final year on his contract.
- 6/23/16 — Traded $2,465,386 to Atlanta Hawks for the rights to Kay Felder (54th).
- 6/29/16 — LeBron James opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 6/29/16 — Exercised team option for the final year of Jordan McRae’s contract.
- 6/30/16 — Issued qualifying offer to Matt Dellavedova.
- 7/7/16 — Sign and traded Matthew Dellavedova to Milwaukee Bucks and $200,000 for the rights to Albert Miralles (2004-39th).
- 7/7/16 — Traded the rights to Albert Miralles (2004-39th) to Chicago Bulls for Mike Dunleavy and the rights to Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th).
- 7/15/16 — Traded Sasha Kaun and cash (TBD) to Philadelphia 76ers for the rights to Chukwudiebere Maduabum (2011-56th).
- 7/21/16 — Signed Chris Andersen to a one-year, $1.6 million contract.
- 7/27/16 — Signed Coach Tyronn Lue to an estimated five-year, $35 million extension (TBD).
- 7/28/16 — Signed Richard Jefferson to a three-year, partially-guaranteed $7,612,500 contract.
- 8/2/16 — Signed James Jones to a one-year, $1.6 million contract.
- 8/2/16 — Signed DeAndre Liggins to a two-year, partially-guaranteed $2,103,441 contract.
- 8/6/16 — Signed Kay Felder (2016-54th) to a three-year, partially-guaranteed $2,498,982 contract, team option on final season.
- 8/12/16 — Signed LeBron James to a three-year, $99,857,127 contract, player option on final season.
- 9/23/16 — Signed Cory Jefferson to a one-year, non-guaranteed $980,431 summer contract.
- 9/23/16 — Signed Markel Brown to a one-year, non-guaranteed $980,431 summer contract.
- 9/23/16 — Signed John Holland to a one-year, non-guaranteed $874,636 summer contract.
- 9/26/16 — Signed Dahntay Jones to a one-year, non-guaranteed $1,551,659 summer contract.
- 9/26/16 — Signed Eric Moreland to a one-year, non-guaranteed $980,431 summer contract.
- 9/26/16 — Signed Jonathan Holmes to a one-year, non-guaranteed $543,471 summer contract.
- 10/3/16 — Signed Toney Douglas to a one-year, non-guaranteed $1,315,448 summer contract.
Waived Players: Dahntay Jones, Eric Moreland
Traded Players: None
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
No-Trade: LeBron James, James Jones (implicit), Dahntay Jones (implicit)
Head Coach: Tyronn Lue (three-year deal, as of 2015-16 season — five-year, $35 million extension in July 2016, terms TBD)
Assistants: Larry Drew (associate head coach), Jim Boylan, Bret Brielmaier, James Posey, Phil Handy (also director of player development), Mike Longabardi, Damon Jones, Vitaly Potapenko (assistant director of player development)
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning)
- David Griffin — General Manager
- 2017 — Owe second-rounder to Boston Celtics (Keith Bogans).
- 2018 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2019 — if not conveyed in 2019, converts to lower 2019 second-rounder of Los Angeles Lakers/Minnesota Timberwolves, and a 2021 Cavaliers second-rounder) to Portland Trail Blazers (Anderson Varejao).
- 2018 — Owe second-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Keith Bogans), may go to Charlotte Hornets (Andrei Kirilenko, Juan Pablo Vaulet).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Minnesota Timberwolves (Tyus Jones).
- 2019 — Owed second-rounder from Los Angeles Lakers (Roy Hibbert, Rakeem Christmas).
- 2019 — Owe higher of Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Lakers second-rounders to Portland Trail Blazers (Brendan Haywood), both possibly to Trail Blazers, if owed first-rounder is not conveyed. (Anderson Varejao).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to New York Knicks (Dion Waiters), possibly to Orlando Magic (Kyle O’Quinn).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Portland Trail Blazers (Mo Harkless, Joe Harris).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Los Angeles Clippers (Brendan Haywood, Anderson Varejao, Channing Frye, C.J. Wilcox).
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Cedi Osman (2015-31st), Sir’Dominic Pointer (2015-53rd), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Chukwudiebere Maduabum (2011-56th), Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
Cash Paid ($3.5 million max): $200,000 to Milwaukee Bucks (Matthew Dellavedova); TBD to Philadelphia 76ers (Sasha Kaun)
Cash Received ($3.5 million max): $0
- Kyrie Irving — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses, under certain circumstances.
Amnesty: Used on Baron Davis
D-League Affiliate: Canton Charge (Nate Reinking coach)
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data changes quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 10/8/16)