Quick: Over the cap. Repeat tax eligible.
Salary Cap: $101,869,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Projected 2019-20 Cap Space ($109 million cap): None
Roster Count: Fourteen guaranteed, one 10-day, two two-ways
PG: Collin Sexton, Matthew Dellavedova, Cameron Payne (10-day)
SG: Alec Burks, Jordan Clarkson, David Nwaba (injured), J.R. Smith (not with team)
SF: Rodney Hood, Jaron Blossomgame (two-way), Deng Adel (two-way)
PF: Cedi Osman, Larry Nance Jr. (injured), Kevin Love (injured)
C: Tristan Thompson, Channing Frye, Ante Zizic, John Henson (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Dwyane Wade, expiring 2/8/19) — $1,471,382
- Trade Exception (Sam Dekker, expiring 12/7/19)
- Mid-Level Exception — $5,641,000 (Patrick McCaw)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,382,000
Waived Players: London Perrantes (two-way), Kendrick Perkins, Okaro White, Isaac Hamilton, Dayshon “Scoochie” Smith, Jacorey Williams, Levi Randolph, Emanuel Terry, Isaiah Taylor, Kobi Simmons Bonzie Colson Jr., John Holland (two-way), Andrew Harrison (two-way), Billy Preston (two-way), Patrick McCaw, Jalen Jones (two-way)
Traded Players: Kyle Korver, Sam Dekker, George Hill
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Rodney Hood (implicit), Patrick McCaw (signing restriction)
G-League Affiliate: Canton Charge (Mike Gansey general manager, Nate Reinking coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Jaron Blossomgame, Deng Adel
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,737/$544
Head Coach: Larry Drew
Assistants: Jim Boylan, Bret Brielmaier, James Posey, Phil Handy (also director of player development), Mike Longabardi, Damon Jones, Vitaly Potapenko (assistant director of player development), Dan Geriot
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning), Albert Padilla, Ed Subel
- Koby Altman — general manager
- Mike Gansey — assistant general manager
- Brock Aller — senior director of basketball operations
- Jon Nichols — senior director of analytics
- Brandon Weems — director of scouting
- 2019 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected through 2020, otherwise converts to 2021 and 2022 second-rounders) to Atlanta Hawks (Kyle Korver)
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Orlando Magic, Sacramento Kings, New York Knicks or Detroit Pistons. Magic will receive the highest of the Cavaliers, Rockets, Blazers and their own pick. The Kings receive the second-highest of the Magic, Cavaliers and Rockets’ picks. The Knicks will get the lowest of the three picks. The Pistons will get the lowest of either the Blazers’ pick or the highest of the Orlando, Cavaliers and Rockets’ picks (Iman Shumpert, Pablo Prigioni, Kyle O’Quinn, Jake Layman, Jodie Meeks, Scott Perry).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from the Utah Jazz (Kyle Korver).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Charlotte Hornets (Brendan Haywood, Anderson Varejao, Channing Frye, C.J. Wilcox, Miles Bridges).
- 2021 — Owed a protected (lottery protected in 2021, top-10 protected in 2022, conveys in 11-24 range in 2023, top-eight protected in 2024, otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders) first-rounder from the Milwaukee Bucks (George Hill), two years following Milwaukee’s obligation to the Phoenix Suns.
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder from the Milwaukee Bucks (George Hill).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Washington Wizards (Sam Dekker).
- 2024 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from Miami HEAT (Dwyane Wade).
- 2024 — Utah Jazz can swap second-rounders with Cavaliers (George Hill).
Cash Paid ($5,243,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,243,000 max): $1,247,494 from Los Angeles Clippers (Sam Dekker) — $3,995,506 remaining
- 1/24/19 — No-trade restriction lifts on Kevin Love.
- 1/25/19 — Cameron Payne’s 10-day contract expires.
- 1/29/19 — No-package restriction lifts on Alec Burks.
- 2/7/19 — No-package restriction lifts on John Henson and Matthew Dellavedova.
- 2/7/19 — Trade deadline.
- 2/8/19 — Dwyane Wade trade exception expires.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline for David Nwaba.
- 6/30/19 — J.R. Smith’s $15,680,000 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline for Cedi Osman.
- 10/31/19 — Team options on Ante Zizic and Collin Sexton.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadline for Ante Zizic.
- 12/7/19 — Sam Dekker trade exception expires.
- 1/10/20 — Patrick McCaw’s $3 million guarantees for 2019-20.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Collin Sexton.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Ante Zizic.
- Before first day of 2021 season — Extension deadline for Collin Sexton.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Collin Sexton.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/21/18 — Drafted Collin Sexton (8th).
- 6/27/18 — Issued qualifying offer to Rodney Hood.
- 6/27/18 — Opted Kendrick Perkins into the final year of his contract.
- 6/30/18 — LeBron James opted out of the final year of his contract.
- 7/4/18 — Signed Collin Sexton (2018-8th) to a $20,175,111 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/7/18 — Signed Billy Preston to a two-way contract.
- 7/19/18 — Signed Channing Frye to a one-year $2,393,887 minimum contract.
- 7/24/18 — Signed Kevin Love to a four-year $120,414,245 contract extension.
- 8/7/18 — Traded the rights to Vladimir Veremeenko (2006-48th) to Los Angeles Clippers for Sam Dekker, the rights to Renaldas Seibutis (2007-50th) and $1,247,494.
- 8/22/18 — Kyrie Irving trade exception ($3,051,019) expired.
- 8/16/18 — Signed Isaiah Taylor to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,512,601 minimum summer contract.
- 9/8/18 — Signed David Nwaba to a one-year $1,512,601 minimum contract.
- 9/9/18 — Re-signed Rodney Hood to his one-year $3,472,888 qualifying offer.
- 9/10/18 — Signed Isaac Hamilton to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 9/10/18 — Signed Dayshon “Scoochie” Smith to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 9/14/18 — Signed Bonzie Colson Jr. to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 9/13/18 — Signed Jacorey Williams to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 9/14/18 — Signed Levi Randolph to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 9/19/18 — Signed Kobi Simmons to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,349,383 minimum summer contract.
- 10/11/18 — Signed Emanuel Terry to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/14/18 — Richard Jefferson and Kay Felder trade exceptions expired.
- 10/15/18 — Signed Larry Nance Jr. to a four-year $44.8 million extension.
- 10/29/18 — Fired Coach Tyronn Lue.
- 10/29/18 — Picked up the team option on Ante Zizic.
- 11/5/18 — Promoted Larry Drew to head coach.
- 11/9/18 — Signed Andrew Harrison to a two-way contract.
- 11/29/18 — Renounced the rights to James Jones and Shawn Marion.
- 11/29/18 — Traded Kyle Korver to the Utah Jazz for Alec Burks, a 2020 second-rounder and a 2021 second-rounder (Washington Wizards).
- 12/2/18 — Signed Jaron Blossomgame to a two-way contract.
- 12/2/18 — Signed Jalen Jones to a two-way contract.
- 12/7/18 — Traded George Hill and a Washington Wizards’ 2021 second-rounder to the Milwaukee Bucks and Sam Dekker to the Washington Wizards for Matthew Dellavedova, John Henson and a protected future first-rounder (two years following obligation to the Phoenix Suns) and a 2021 second-rounder.
- 12/28/18 — Signed Patrick McCaw (a restricted free agent with the Golden State Warriors) to a non-guaranteed two-year $6 million offer sheet.
- 12/30/18 — Signed Patrick McCaw to a non-guaranteed two-year $6 million contract.
- 1/6/19 — Signed Cameron Payne to an $88,531 10-day contract.
- 1/15/19 — Signed Deng Adel to a two-way contract.
- 1/16/19 — Signed Cameron Payne to an $88,531 10-day contract.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
2018-19 Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Dahntay Jones* ($1,499,698, early Bird)
- Deron Williams* ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Arturas Gudaitis (2015-47th), Sir’Dominic Pointer (2015-53rd), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Chukwudiebere Maduabum (2011-56th), Sergey Gladyr (2009-49th), Renaldas Seibutis (2007-50th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
Arena: Quicken Loans Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/16/19)