Quick: Over the cap. Repeat tax eligible.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($115 million cap): Up to $26.4 million, none if Andre Drummond opts in.
Roster Count: 13 guaranteed, two two-ways, one 10-day
PG: Collin Sexton, Dante Exum, Matthew Dellavedova, Matt Mooney (two-way)
SG: Darius Garland, Kevin Porter Jr., Levi Randolph (two-way), Sheldon Mac (10-day)
SF: Cedi Osman, Alfonzo McKinnie, Dylan Windler (injured)
PF: Kevin Love, Larry Nance Jr., Tyler Cook, Dean Wade (two-way)
C: Andre Drummond, Tristan Thompson, Ante Zizic
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Jordan Clarkson, expiring 12/23/20) — $3,837,500
- Mid-Level Exception — $7,758,000 (Alfonzo McKinnie)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Waived Players: J.R. Smith (stretched), Levi Randolph, Malik Newman, Alex Robinson, Sir’Dominic Pointer, Daniel Hamilton, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, JP Macura, Sindarius Thornwell, Marques Bolden, Jarell Martin, Alfonzo McKinnie, Tyler Cook, Levi Randolph (two-way)
Expired 10-Day Contracts: Alfonzo McKinnie, Tyler Cook (two), Alfonzo McKinnie, Marques Bolden, JP Macura (13-day), Malik Newman (13-day), Sir’Dominic Pointer
Traded Players: Jordan Clarkson, John Henson, Brandon Knight
G-League Affiliate: Canton Charge (Mike Gansey general manager, Nate Reinking coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Dean Wade, Matt Mooney (two years)
Head Coach: J.B. Bickerstaff
Assistants: Lindsay Gottlieb, Antonio Lang, Dan Geriot, Steve Frankoski (player development coach), Michael Hartman (director of coaching analytics/player development), Sam Jones (player development coordinator), J.J. Outlaw (assistant coach/player development), Chris Darnell (player development/video assistant), Jay Shunnar (special assistant to head coach), Mike Gerrity (director of player development/assistant coach), Dan Vincent (head video coordinator/player development), Andrew Olson (shooting coach)
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning), Albert Padilla, Ed Subel
- Koby Altman — general manager
- Mike Gansey — assistant general manager
- Brock Aller — senior director of basketball operations
- Jon Nichols — senior director of analytics
- Brandon Weems — director of scouting
- 2020 — Owe first-rounder (top-10 protected, otherwise converts to 2021 and 2022 second-rounders) to New Orleans Pelicans (Kyle Korver, Jaxson Hayes).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Charlotte Hornets (Brendan Haywood, Anderson Varejao, Channing Frye, C.J. Wilcox, Miles Bridges).
- 2021 — Owed a protected (lottery protected in 2021, top-10 protected in 2022, conveys in 11-24 range in 2023, top-eight protected in 2024, otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders) first-rounder from the Milwaukee Bucks (George Hill), two years following Milwaukee’s obligation to the Phoenix Suns.
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Washington Wizards (Sam Dekker).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Houston Rockets (Alec Burks).
- 2022 — Owed second-rounder from San Antonio Spurs (Boris Diaw, Jordan Clarkson).
- 2023 — Owed a second-rounder from the Golden State Warriors (Alen Smailagic, Derrick Favors, Jordan Clarkson).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder (lower of Cleveland or Golden State Warriors) to the Detroit Pistons (Andre Drummond).
- 2024 — Utah Jazz can swap second-rounders with the Cleveland Cavaliers (George Hill).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- Note: NBA temporarily in a moratorium/on hiatus.
- 3/17/20 — Sheldon Mac 10-day contract expires.
- 5/18/20 — No-trade restriction lifts on Alfonzo McKinnie.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Collin Sexton, Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler.
- 12/23/20 — Jordan Clarkson trade exception expires.
- 1/10/21 — Alfonzo McKinnie’s $1,762,796 guarantees for 2020-21.
- Before first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadline for Collin Sexton.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler.
- 1/10/22 — Alfonzo McKinnie’s $1,910,860 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Collin Sexton.
- Before first day of 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler.
- 1/10/23 — Alfonzo McKinnie’s $1,910,860 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler.
- 6/29/23 — Cedi Osman’s $6,718,842 guarantees for 2023-24.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 4/11/19 — Parted ways with Coach Larry Drew.
- 5/13/19 — Hired Coach John Beilein.
- 5/14/19 — Received the 5th pick in the draft lottery.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Darius Garland (5th) and Dylan Windler (26th).
- 6/27/19 — Traded 2020, 2021, 2023 and 2024 second-rounders and $5 million to the Detroit Pistons for the rights to Kevin Porter Jr. (30th).
- 6/28/19 — Declined to extend qualifying offer to David Nwaba.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Dean Wade to a two-way contract.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Darius Garland (2019-5th) to a $24,665,868 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/1/19 — Signed Dylan Windler (2019-26th) to a $10,449,718 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/3/19 — Signed Kevin Porter Jr. (2019-30th) to an $8,009,193 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/15/19 — Waived and stretched J.R. Smith.
- 8/5/19 — Signed Levi Randolph to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 8/5/19 — Signed Malik Newman to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/3/19 — Waived Levi Randolph and Malik Newman.
- 8/16/19 — Signed Jarell Martin to a non-guaranteed $1,737,145 minimum summer contract.
- 8/19/19 — Signed Alex Robinson to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/3/19 — Signed Sindarius Thornwell to a non-guaranteed $1,620,564 minimum summer contract.
- 9/3/19 — Signed Daniel Hamilton to a non-guaranteed $1,620,564 minimum summer contract.
- 9/3/19 — Signed J.P. Macura to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract.
- 9/3/19 — Signed Marques Bolden to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/23/19 — Waived Alex Robinson.
- 9/23/19 — Signed Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot to a non-guaranteed $1,678,854 minimum summer contract.
- 10/4/19 — Signed Sir’Dominic Pointer (2015-53rd) to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/4/19 — Waived Sir’Dominic Pointer.
- 10/17/19 — Waived Daniel Hamilton, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, PJ Macura and Sindarius Thornwell.
- 10/19/19 — Claimed Tyler Cook off waivers (Denver Nuggets).
- 10/19/19 –Waived Marques Bolden and Jarell Martin.
- 10/21/19 — Claimed Alfonzo McKinnie off waivers (Golden State Warriors).
- 10/25/19 — Signed Cedi Osman to a partially-guaranteed four-year $31,118,844 extension.
- 10/30/19 — Picked up Collin Sexton’s third-year rookie-scale option.
- 10/31/19 — Declined Ante Zizic’s fourth-year rookie-scale option.
- 12/7/19 — Sam Dekker trade exception expired ($2,760,095).
- 12/23/19 — Traded Jordan Clarkson to the Utah Jazz for Dante Exum and two second-rounders.
- 1/3/20 — Signed Tyler Cook for the rest of the season (partially-guaranteed) at $527,821, ending his two-way contract
- 1/6/20 — Waived Alfonzo McKinnie and Tyler Cook.
- 1/6/20 — Signed Levi Randolph to a two-way contract.
- 1/9/20 — Re-signed Alfonzo McKinnie to a 10-day $91,557 contract.
- 1/9/20 — Signed Tyler Cook to a 10-day $50,752 contract.
- 1/13/20 — Waived Levi Randolph (two-way).
- 1/15/20 — Signed Matt Mooney to a two-year two-way contract.
- 1/18/20 — Tyler Cook and Alfonzo McKinnie’s 10-day contracts expired.
- 1/20/20 — Signed Tyler Cook to a second 10-day $50,752 contract.
- 1/23/20 — Re-signed Alfonzo McKinnie to a second 10-day $91,557 contract.
- 1/29/20 — Tyler Cook’s 10-day contract expired.
- 1/30/20 — Signed Marques Bolden to a 10-day $50,752 contract.
- 2/3/20 — Alfonzo McKinnie’s 10-day contract expired.
- 2/4/20 — Rodney Hood trade exception ($266,728) expired.
- 2/6/20 — Traded John Henson, Brandon Knight and a 2023 second-rounder (Golden State Warriors or Cleveland’s) to the Detroit Pistons for Andre Drummond.
- 2/7/20 — Wade Baldwin ($1,544,951) and Nik Stauskas ($1,512,601) trade exceptions expired.
- 2/8/20 — Marques Bolden’s 10-day contract expired.
- 2/8/20 — Re-signed Alfonzo McKinnie to a partially-guaranteed four-year $7,338,954 contract.
- 2/9/20 — Signed JP Macura to a 13-day $106,161 contract.
- 2/9/20 — Signed Malik Newman to a 13-day $65,978 contract.
- 2/14/20 — Ended JP Macura’s 10-day contract.
- 2/19/20 — Coach Jim Beilein resigned.
- 2/18/20 — Malik Newman’s 10-day contracts expired.
- 3/4/20 — Signed Sir’Dominic Pointer to a 10-day $50,752 contract.
- 3/8/20 — Signed Sheldon Mac to a 10-day $91,557 contract.
- 3/10/20 — Named J.B. Bickerstaff head coach.
- 3/13/20 — Sir’Dominic Pointer’s 10-day contract expired.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Channing Frye ($1,620,564), Nik Stauskas ($1,620,564)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Arturas Gudaitis (2015-47th), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Chukwudiebere Maduabum (2011-56th), Sergey Gladyr (2009-49th), Renaldas Seibutis (2007-50th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
Arena: Quicken Loans Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 3/13/20)