Quick: Over the cap, hard capped by the Derrick Rose mid-level signing.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($115 million cap): Up to 49.3 million, less if Tony Snell opts in.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Bruce Brown Jr., Jordan McRae, Brandon Knight, Jordan Bone (two-way), Derrick Rose (injured)
SG: Svi Mykhailiuk, Langston Galloway, Luke Kennard (injured)
SF: Tony Snell, Khyri Thomas, Sekou Doumbouya, Louis King (two-way)
PF: Christian Wood, Blake Griffin (injured)
C: John Henson, Thon Maker
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Andre Drummond, expiring 2/6/21) — $1,716,872
- Mid-Level Exception — $1,940,926 (Derrick Rose)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $432,000 (Markieff Morris)
Waived Players: Todd Withers, Craig Sword, Donta Hall, Tre’Shawn Thurman, Joe Johnson, Dakarai Allen, Tra-Deon Hollins, Tim Frazier, Reggie Jackson, Markieff Morris
Traded Players: Andre Drummond
Expired 10-Day Contracts: Derrick Walton Jr., Donta Hall (two)
G-League Affiliate: Grand Rapids Drive (Jon Phelps general manager, Bob Werdann coach)
Two-Way Players: Louis King, Jordan Bone
Head Coach: Dwane Casey
Assistants: Sidney Lowe, Sean Sweeney, Tim Grgurich, Micah Nori
Trainer: Jim Scholler (head athletic trainer)
- Arn Tellem — vice chairman
- Ed Stefanski — senior advisor
- Pat Garrity — associate general manager
- Malik Rose — assistant general manager
- Sachin Gupta — assistant general manager
- Dan Rosenbaum — senior director of basketball strategy
- Gregg Polinsky — director, player personnel
- J.R. Holden — director, international scouting
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to the Sacramento Kings (Marcus Morris, Bogdan Bogdanovic).
- 2021 — Owed second-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers (Svi Mykhailiuk).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to the New York Knicks (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris, Marcus Morris).
- 2022 — Chicago Bulls can swap second-rounders (Jameer Nelson), after which, the Memphis Grizzlies can swap second-rounders (James Ennis). May go to the Washington Wizards (TBD).
- 2023 — Owe second-rounder to the Los Angeles Clippers (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Rodney Hood, Kevin Porter Jr.).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder (lower of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Golden State Warriors) from Cleveland (Andre Drummond).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $2 million to the Philadelphia 76ers (Jordan Bone) — $3,617,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- Note: NBA temporarily in a moratorium/on hiatus.
- 6/29/20 — Team option on Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadline on Thon Maker.
- 7/5/20 — Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21
- 7/6/20 — Khyri Thomas’ $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 7/10/20 — Bruce Brown Jr.’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadline for Luke Kennard.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Sekou Doumbouya.
- 2/6/21 — Andre Drummond trade exception expires.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Luke Kennard, Khyri Thomas, Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk and Bruce Brown Jr.
- 6/29/21 — Player option for Blake Griffin.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Sekou Doumbouya.
- Before first day of 2022 season — Extension deadline for Sekou Doumbouya.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Sekou Doumbouya.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, but players are released 48 hours prior to account for waivers.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Sekou Doumbouya (15th) and Isaiah Roby (45th).
- 6/21/19 — Traded Jon Leuer to the Milwaukee Bucks for Tony Snell and the rights to Kevin Porter Jr. (30th).
- 6/27/19 — Traded the rights to Kevin Porter Jr. (30th) to the Cleveland Cavaliers for 2020, 2021, 2023 and 2024 second-rounders and $5 million.
- 6/27/19 — Traded the rights to Isaiah Roby (45th) and 2020 and 2021 second-rounders to the Dallas Mavericks for the rights to Deividas Sirvydis (37th).
- 6/28/19 — Declined to exercise team option on the final year of Glenn Robinson III’s contract.
- 7/4/19 — Signed Louis King to a two-way contract.
- 7/4/19 — Signed Sekou Doumbouya (2019-15th) to a $15,897,971 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/5/19 — Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk’s $1,416,852 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 7/6/19 — Signed Tim Frazier to a $1,882,867 minimum contract.
- 7/6/19 — Signed Markieff Morris to two-year $6,560,000 contract, player option on final season.
- 7/6/19 –Signed Derrick Rose to a two-year $15.0 million contract.
- 7/7/19 — Traded a Miami 2024 second-rounder $2 million to the Philadelphia 76ers for the rights to Jordan Bone (57th).
- 7/7/19 — Signed Jordan Bone (2019-57th) to a two-way contract.
- 7/17/19 — Claimed Christian Wood off waivers (New Orleans Pelicans).
- 7/18/19 — Signed Todd Withers to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 7/18/19 — Signed Donta Hall to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/19/19 — Signed Joe Johnson to a partially-guaranteed minimum $2,564,753 contract.
- 10/17/19 — Picked up the fourth-year rookie-scale option on Luke Kennard.
- 10/17/19 — Waived Todd Withers.
- 10/17/19 — Signed Craig Sword to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/18/19 — Waived Craig Sword.
- 10/18/19 — Signed Tre’Shawn Thurman to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/19/19 — Waived Donta Hall and Tre’Shawn Thurman.
- 10/19/19 — Signed Dakarai Allen to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/19/19 — Signed Tra-Deon Hollins a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/19/19 — Waived Dakarai Allen and Tra-Deon Hollins.
- 10/21/19 — Waived Joe Johnson.
- 10/21/19 — Christian Wood’s salary guaranteed at $822,679.
- 1/10/20 — Christian Wood’s’ $1,645,357 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 2/6/20 — Waived Tim Frazier.
- 2/6/20 — Traded Andre Drummond to the Cleveland Cavaliers for John Henson, Brandon Knight and a 2023 second-rounder (Andre Drummond).
- 2/6/20 — Reggie Bullock ($2,500,000) and Stanley Johnson ($1,140,682) trade exceptions expired.
- 2/18/20 — Waived Reggie Jackson.
- 2/21/20 — Waived Markieff Morris.
- 2/21/20 — Signed Derrick Walton Jr. to a 10-day $81,678 contract.
- 2/22/20 — Signed Donta Hall to a 10-day $50,752 contract.
- 3/1/20 — Derrick Walton Jr.’s 10-day contract expired.
- 3/2/20 — Donta Hall’s 10-day contract expired.
- 3/3/20 — Signed Donta Hall to a second 10-day $50,752 contract.
- 3/4/20 — Claimed Jordan McRae off waivers (Denver Nuggets).
- 3/12/20 — Donta Hall’s 10-day contract expired.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Jose Calderon ($1,620,564), Zaza Pachulia ($1,620,564), Isaiah Whitehead (two-way), Kalin Lucas (two-way), Jameer Nelson* ($1,620,564)
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Deividas Sirvydis (2019-37th)
Arena: Little Caesars Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 3/13/20)