Quick: Over the cap, hard capped by the Derrick Rose mid-level signing.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($117 million cap): Up to an $43 million, none if Andre Drummond and Tony Snell opt in.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, three non-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Reggie Jackson, Tim Frazier, Jordan Bone (two-way)
SG: Derrick Rose, Luke Kennard, Bruce Brown Jr.
SF: Tony Snell, Langston Galloway, Svi Mykhailiuk, Khyri Thomas, Sekou Doumbouya, Louis King (two-way), Todd Withers
PF: Blake Griffin, Markieff Morris, Donta Hall
C: Andre Drummond, Thon Maker, Christian Wood
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Reggie Bullock, expiring 2/6/20) — $2,500,000
- Trade Exception (Stanley Johnson, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,140,682
- Mid-Level Exception — $1,940,926 (Derrick Rose)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $432,000 (Markieff Morris)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Jose Calderon ($1,620,564), Zaza Pachulia ($1,620,564), Isaiah Whitehead (two-way), Kalin Lucas (two-way), Jameer Nelson* ($1,620,564)
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
- Christian Wood $1,645,357
- Todd Withers $898,310
- Donta Hall $898,310
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Deividas Sirvydis (2019-37th)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Grand Rapids Drive (Jon Phelps general manager, Bob Werdann coach)
Two-Way Players: Louis King
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,737/$544
Head Coach: Dwane Casey
Assistants: Sidney Lowe, Sean Sweeney, Tim Grgurich, Micah Nori
Trainer: Jim Scholler (head athletic trainer)
- Ed Stefanski — senior advisor
- Pat Garrity — associate general manager
- Malik Rose — assistant general manager
- Sachin Gupta — assistant general manager
- Gregg Polinsky — director, player personnel
- J.R. Holden — director, international scouting
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to the Sacramento Kings (Marcus Morris, Bogdan Bogdanovic).
- 2021 — Owed second-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers (Svi Mykhailiuk).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to the Los Angeles Clippers (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris).
- 2022 — Chicago Bulls can swap second-rounders (Jameer Nelson), after which, the Memphis Grizzlies can swap second-rounders (James Ennis). May go to the Washington Wizards (TBD).
- 2023 — Owe second-rounder to the Los Angeles Clippers (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Rodney Hood, Kevin Porter Jr.).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $2 million to the Philadelphia 76ers (Jordan Bone) — $3,617,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 8/21/19 — No-package restrictions lifts on Tony Snell.
- Before the first day of 2019 season — Extension deadline on Thon Maker.
- Before first day of 2019 season — Christian Wood’s salary guarantees at $822,679.
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Luke Kennard.
- 30 days into the 2019-20 season — No-trade restriction lifts on Christian Wood.
- 12/15/19 – No-trade restrictions lift on Markieff Morris, Todd Withers, Donta Hall, Derrick Rose and Tim Frazier.
- 1/10/20 — Christian Wood’s’ $1,645,357 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 1/10/20 — Todd Withers and Donta Hall’s $898,310 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 2/6/20 — Reggie Bullock trade exception expires.
- 2/6/20 — Stanley Johnson trade exception expires.
- 6/29/20 — Team option on Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk.
- 6/29/20 — Player option for Markieff Morris.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Thon Maker, Todd Withers and Donta Hall.
- 7/5/20 — Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21
- 7/6/20 — Khyri Thomas’ $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 7/10/20 — Bruce Brown Jr.’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadline for Luke Kennard.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Sekou Doumbouya.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Luke Kennard, Khyri Thomas, Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk and Bruce Brown Jr.
- 6/29/21 — Player option for Blake Griffin.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Sekou Doumbouya.
- Before first day of 2022 season — Extension deadline for Sekou Doumbouya.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Sekou Doumbouya.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is Jan. 10.
- 6/20/19 — Drafted Sekou Doumbouya (15th) and Isaiah Roby (45th).
- 6/21/19 — Traded Jon Leuer to the Milwaukee Bucks for Tony Snell and the rights to Kevin Porter Jr. (30th).
- 6/27/19 — Traded the rights to Kevin Porter Jr. (30th) to the Cleveland Cavaliers for 2020, 2021, 2023 and 2024 second-rounders and $5 million.
- 6/27/19 — Traded the rights to Isaiah Roby (45th) and 2020 and 2021 second-rounders to the Dallas Mavericks for the rights to Deividas Sirvydis (37th).
- 6/28/19 — Declined to exercise team option on the final year of Glenn Robinson III’s contract.
- 7/4/19 — Signed Louis King to a two-way contract.
- 7/4/19 — Signed Sekou Doumbouya (2019-15th) to a $15,897,971 rookie-scale contract.
- 7/5/19 — Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk’s $1,416,852 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 7/6/19 — Signed Tim Frazier to a $1,882,867 minimum contract.
- 7/6/19 — Signed Markieff Morris to two-year $6,560,000 contract, player option on final season.
- 7/6/19 –Signed Derrick Rose to a two-year $15.0 million contract.
- 7/7/19 — Traded a Miami 2024 second-rounder $2 million to the Philadelphia 76ers for the rights to Jordan Bone (57th).
- 7/7/19 — Signed Jordan Bone (2019-57th) to a two-way contract.
- 7/17/19 — Claimed Christian Wood off waivers (New Orleans Pelicans).
- 7/18/19 — Signed Todd Withers to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 7/18/19 — Signed Donta Hall to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
- Andre Drummond — 8 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Arena: Little Caesars Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/12/19)