Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Jerami Grant sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $41.5 million but none if Blake Griffin opts in.
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Killian Hayes, Derrick Rose, Delon Wright, Saben Lee (two-way), Frank Jackson (two-way)
SG: Josh Jackson, Saddiq Bey, Svi Mykhailiuk, Wayne Ellington, Rodney McGruder
SF: Jerami Grant, Sekou Doumbouya, Deividas Sirvydis
PF: Blake Griffin
C: Mason Plumlee, Isaiah Stewart II, Jahlil Okafor
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Room Exception — $0 (Josh Jackson)
Waived Players: Dewayne Dedmon (stretched), Zhaire Smith (stretched), Louis King (two-way), LiAngelo Ball, Anthony Lamb, Dzanan Musa
Traded Players: Tony Snell, Khyri Thomas, Bruce Brown Jr., Tony Bradley, Christian Wood (sign-and-trade), Trevor Ariza
G-League Affiliate: Grand Rapids Drive (Jon Phelps general manager, Bob Werdann coach) through 2020-21; Motor City Cruise as of 2021-22
Two-Way Contracts: Saben Lee, Frank Jackson
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Tom Gores
- Arn Tellem — vice chairman
- Troy Weaver — general manager
- Ed Stefanski — senior advisor
- David Mincberg — assistant general manager
- Gregg Polinsky — senior director of player personnel
- Britta Brown — senior director of basketball administration
- Tony Leotti — senior director of basketball strategy and systems
Head Coach: Dwane Casey
Assistants: Sidney Lowe, Micah Nori, Sean Sweeney, Tim Grgurich
Trainer: Bernard Condevaux (senior director of medical and performances), Jim Scholler (head athletic trainer), Trent Salo (performance director), Jordan Sabourin (head strength & conditioning coach)
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder from the Toronto Raptors (Greg Monroe, Dzanan Musa).
- 2021 — Owe a first-rounder (top-16 protected through 2022, top-18 protected through 2024, top-13 protected in 2025, top-11 protected in 2026, top-9 protected in 2027, otherwise conveys as 2027 second-rounder) to the Houston Rockets (Christian Wood). May go to the Brooklyn Nets via Houston (James Harden).
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to the New York Knicks (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris, Marcus Morris).
- 2022 — Chicago Bulls can swap second-rounders (Jameer Nelson), after which, the Memphis Grizzlies can swap second-rounders (James Ennis). May go to the Washington Wizards (TBD).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder to the Los Angeles Clippers (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris, Marcus Morris, Daniel Oturu).
- 2023 — Owed a second-rounder (lower of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Golden State Warriors) from Cleveland (Andre Drummond).
- 2027 — Owed a second-rounder from the Houston Rockets (Christian Wood).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $250,000 to the Utah Jazz (Tony Bradley), $110,000 to the Denver Nuggets (Jerami Grant) — $5,257,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $4.6 million from the Houston Rockets (Christian Wood); $1 million from the Los Angeles Clippers (Rodney McGruder) — $1,017 remaining
- 1/21/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Frank Jackson.
- 2/6/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Jahlil Okafor, Wayne Ellington, Mason Plumlee and Josh Jackson.
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 3/7/21 — All two-way contracts guarantee for 2020-21.
- 3/25/21 — Trade deadline.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Svi Mykhailiuk.
- 7/31/21 — Player option for Blake Griffin.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/16/21 — Rodney McGruder’s $5 million guarantees for 2021-22
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Sekou Doumbouya, Saddiq Bey, Killian Hayes and Isaiah Stewart II .
- 6/30/22 — Deividas Sirvydis’ $1,782,621 guarantees for 2020-21 (one day before the 2022-23 moratorium).
- Before first day of 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Sekou Doumbouya.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Saddiq Bey, Killian Hayes and Isaiah Stewart II.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Sekou Doumbouya and Deividas Sirvydis.
- Before first day of 2022-23 season — Extensions deadline for Saddiq Bey, Killian Hayes and Isaiah Stewart II.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Saddiq Bey, Killian Hayes and Isaiah Stewart II.
- TBD — Mason Plumlee salary guarantees.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than 2/24/21.
- 11/16/20 — Tony Snell opted into the final year of his contract.
- 11/17/20 — Opted Svi Mykhailiuk into the final year of his contract.
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Killian Hayes (2020-7th).
- 11/19/20 — Renounced the rights to Zaza Pachulia, Jameer Nelson, Jose Calderon, Isaiah Whitehead and Kalin Lucas.
- 11/19/20 — Declined to make a qualifying offer to Thon Maker.
- 11/19/20 — Traded Bruce Brown Jr. to the Brooklyn Nets, and Luke Kennard, Justin Patton, a Portland Trail Blazers 2023 second-rounder, a 2024 second-rounder, a 2025 second-rounder and a 2026 second-rounder to the Los Angeles Clippers for Rodney McGruder and $1 million, and from the Brooklyn Nets, Dzanan Musa, the rights to Saddiq Bey (2020-19th) and Jaylen Hands (2019-56th) and a Toronto Raptors 2021 second-rounder.
- 11/20/20 — Traded Tony Snell and Khyri Thomas to the Atlanta Hawks for Dewayne Dedmon.
- 11/21/20 — Svi Mykhailiuk’s $1,663,861 guaranteed for 2020-21
- 11/22/20 — Renounced the rights to Brandon Knight, Langston Galloway, John Henson and Thon Maker.
- 11/22/20 — Traded $110,000 to the Denver Nuggets for Jerami Grant via sign-and-trade and the rights to Nikola Radicevic (2015-57th). Grant signed a three-year $60,007,500 contract.
- 11/22/20 — Traded $250,000 to the Utah Jazz for Tony Bradley and the rights to Saben Lee (2020-38th).
- 11/23/20 — Traded Tony Bradley to the Philadelphia 76ers for Zhaire Smith.
- 11/24/20 — Renounced the rights to Jordan McRae, Jordan Bone and Louis King.
- 11/24/20 — Waived and stretched the contract of Dewayne Dedmon.
- 11/24/20 — Traded Christian Wood (via sign and trade), a 2021 first-rounder (top-16 protected through 2022, top-18 protected through 2024, top-13 protected in 2025, top-11 protected in 2026, top-9 protected in 2027, otherwise conveys as 2027 second-rounder) and a 2021 Los Angeles Lakers second-rounder for Trevor Ariza, the rights to Isaiah Stewart II (2020-16th), a 2027 second-rounder and $4.6 million.
- 11/27/20 — Traded Trevor Ariza to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Delon Wright from the Denver Nuggets.
- 11/30/20 — Waived and stretched Zhaire Smith.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Saben Lee (2020-38th) to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/30/20 — Signed Saddiq Bey (2020-19th) to a 13,030,303 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Killian Hayes (2020-7th) to a $24,131,515 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Isaiah Stewart II (2020-16th) to a $15,098,193 rookie-scale contract.
- 12/1//20 — Signed Mason Plumlee to a partially-guaranteed three-year $24,662,500 contract.
- 12/1/20 — Signed Deividas Sirvydis (2019-37th) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $4,198,912 contract.
- 12/1/20 — Signed Josh Jackson to a two-year $9,772,350 contract.
- 12/1/20 — Signed Jahlil Okafor to a two-year $4,012,890 minimum contract.
- 12/1/20 — Signed Wayne Ellington to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 12/2/20 — Re-signed Louis King to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 12/2/20 — Signed LiAngelo Ball to a non-guaranteed $898,310 summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/2/20 — Signed Anthony Lamb to a non-guaranteed $898,310 summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/14/20 — Waived Louis King, LiAngelo Ball and Anthony Lamb.
- 12/20/20 — Waived Dzanan Musa.
- 12/21/20 — Picked up the third-year rookie-scale option on Sekou Doumbouya.
- 12/27/20 — Signed Frank Jackson to a two-way contract.
- Mason Plumlee — 10 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Jaylen Hands (2019-56th), Nikola Radicevic (2015-57th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but no later than 2/24/21.
Arena: Little Caesars Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/15/21)