Quick: Over the cap.
Salary Cap: $101,869,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Projected 2019-20 Cap Space ($109 million cap): None
Roster Count: Five guaranteed, one player option, four non/partially-guaranteed
PG: Chris Paul, Chris Chiozza
SG: Eric Gordon, Michael Frazier
SF: James Harden
PF: P.J. Tucker, Gary Clark
C: Clint Capela, Isaiah Hartenstein
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Chinanu Onuaku, expiring 8/2/19) — $1,544,951
- Trade Exception (Ryan Anderson, expiring 8/31/19) — $2,584,136
- Trade Exception (Michael Carter-Williams, expiring 1/7/20) — $955,172
- Trade Exception (Carmelo Anthony, expiring 1/22/20) — $1,512,601
- Trade Exception (Brandon Knight, expiring 2/7/20) — 3,620,016
- Trade Exception (Marquese Chriss, expiring 2/7/20) — $3,206,160
- Trade Exception (Wade Baldwin, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,544,951
- Trade Exception (Nik Stauskas, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,512,601
- Trade Exception (James Ennis, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,621,415
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Bird: Iman Shumpert ($16,516,851), Nene (PO)
- Early Bird: Gerald Green ($1,618,486)
- Non-Bird: Austin Rivers ($1,618,486), Kenneth Faried ($1,618,486), Danuel House (RFA*, $1,876,700), Trevon Duval (two-way), Vincent Edwards (two-way), Tarik Black** ($3,948,000), Joe Johnson** ($1,618,486), Markel Brown** (two-way)
* If issued a qualifying offer.
** Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
- Isaiah Hartenstein $1,416,852 ($708,426 guaranteed)
- Gary Clark $1,416,852 ($708,426 guaranteed)
- Chris Chiozza $1,416,852
- Michael Frazier $1,416,852
2019 Draft Picks: None; Own 26th to the Cleveland Cavaliers, 55th to the New York Knicks
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Marko Todorovic (2013-45th), Sergio Llull (2009-34th), Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd), Axel Hervelle (2005-52nd), Serhiy Lishchuk (2004-49th), Venson Hamilton (1999-50th)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Rio Grande Valley Vipers (general manager Jimmy Paulis, head coach Matt Brase)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: Mike D’Antoni
Assistants: Roy Rogers, Brett Gunning, John Lucas (player development), Josh Oppenheimer (player development), Kevin Burleson (player development)
Trainers: Jason Biles, Joe Rogowski (strength and conditioning), Keith Jones (sports performance and rehabilitation), Jason Biles (sports performance and rehabilitation), Javair Gillett (sports performance and rehabilitation)
- Daryl Morey — general manager
- Rafael Stone — executive vice president of basketball operations and general counsel
- Eli Witus — assistant general manager and executive vice president of basketball operations
- Monte McNair — assistant general manager
- Jimmy Paulis — director of player personnel
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from Golden State Warriors (Andrew Bogut, Chinanu Onuaku).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder (56-60 range) from the Memphis Grizzlies (Justin Holiday, Michael Carter-Williams).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder (top-39 protected or $500,000) to Dallas Mavericks (Chinanu Onuaku).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to the Sacramento Kings (either Houston’s own or the Golden State Warriors, Iman Shumpert).
- 2021 — Can swap second-rounders with the Philadelphia 76ers (James Ennis).
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (Alec Burks).
Cash Paid ($5,243,000 max): $2,044,951 to Dallas Mavericks ($500,000 conditional, Chinanu Onuaku), $1,065,696 to Chicago Bulls (Michael Carter-Williams), $1,566,570 to the Chicago Bulls (Carmelo Anthony) — $565,783 remaining
Cash Received ($5,243,000 max): $110,000 from the Indiana Pacers (Nik Stauskas/Wade Baldwin) — $5,133,000 remaining
- 6/20/19 — NBA Draft.
- 6/23/19 — No-trade restriction lifts on Chris Chiozza.
- 6/29/19 — Nene’s player option.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer for Danuel House.
- 7/1/19-7/5/19 –NBA moratorium.
- 7/6/19 — No-trade restriction lifts on Michael Frazier.
- 7/15/19 — Isaiah Hartenstein’s $1,416,852 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 8/2/19 — Chinanu Onuaku trade exception expires.
- 2/7/20 — Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss, Nik Stauskas, Wade Baldwin and James Ennis trade exceptions expire.
- 1/7/20 — Michael Carter-Williams trade exception expires.
- 1/10/20 — Gary Clark’s 1,416,852 guarantees for 2019-20*.
- 1/10/20 — Chris Chiozza and Michael Frazier’s $1,416,852 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 1/22/20 — Carmelo Anthony trade exception expires.
- 6/29/20 — Isaiah Hartenstein’s $1,663,861 guarantee for 2020-21.
- 6/29/20 — Team options on Michael Frazier and Chris Chiozza.
- 7/1/20 — P.J. Tucker’s $7,969,537 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 8/1/20 — Gary Clark’s 1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 1/10/21 — Chris Chiozza and Michael Frazier’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offers on Chris Chiozza, Michael Frazier, Gary Clark and Isaiah Hartenstein.
- 6/29/21 — Player option on Chris Paul.
- 6/29/22 — Player option on James Harden.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is Jan. 10 but players need to be cut by Jan. 7 to clear waivers.
* Gary Clark’s 2019-20 salary would have guaranteed fully if he had played at least 37 games through the 2018-19 season on his most recent contract (he only played 30) and either the team missed the playoffs (didn’t), the team made the playoffs (did) and he played in at least two games (did) or if he was waived by 4/10/19 (wasn’t). He played two playoff games, but not enough in the regular season to lock in his salary, but he still has 50 percent guaranteed.
- James Harden — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Toyota Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 5/17/19)