Quick: Over the cap.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($115 million cap): None
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Russell Westbrook, Austin Rivers, Chris Clemons
SG: James Harden, Ben McLemore, Michael Frazier (two-way)
SF: Danuel House, Eric Gordon, Bruno Caboclo
PF: Robert Covington, Thabo Sefolosha, Jeff Green
C: P.J. Tucker, DeMarre Carroll, Isaiah Hartenstein, Tyson Chandler
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Clint Capela, expiring 2/5/21) — $3,595,333
- Trade Exception (Nene, expiring 2/5/21) — $2,464,753
- Trade Exception (Gerald Green, expiring 2/5/21) — $1,620,564
- Trade Exception (Jordan Bell, expiring 2/6/21) — $1,620,564
- Mid-Level Exception — $5,718,000 (Danuel House)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Waived Players: Deyonta Davis, Chris Chiozza, William McDowell-White, Anthony Bennett, Michael Frazier, Jaron Blossomgame, Matur Maker, Shamorie Ponds Ray Spalding, Ronshad Shabazz (two-way), Gary Clark
Traded Players: Chris Paul, Clint Capela, Nene, Gerald Green, Jordan Bell
Expired 10-Day Contracts: Jeff Green
G-League Affiliate: Rio Grande Valley Vipers (general manager Jimmy Paulis, head coach Matt Brase)
Two-Way Contracts: Michael Frazier, William Howard
Head Coach: Mike D’Antoni
Assistants: Roy Rogers, Brett Gunning, John Lucas (player development), Josh Oppenheimer (player development), Kevin Burleson (player development)
Trainers: Jason Biles, Joe Rogowski (strength and conditioning), Keith Jones (sports performance and rehabilitation), Jason Biles (sports performance and rehabilitation), Javair Gillett (sports performance and rehabilitation)
- Daryl Morey — general manager
- Rafael Stone — executive vice president of basketball operations and general counsel
- Eli Witus — assistant general manager and executive vice president of basketball operations
- Monte McNair — assistant general manager
- Jimmy Paulis — director of player personnel
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from Golden State Warriors (Andrew Bogut, Chinanu Onuaku).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder (56-60 range) from the Memphis Grizzlies (Justin Holiday, Michael Carter-Williams).
- 2020 — Owe first-rounder to the Denver Nuggets (Clint Capela).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder (top-39 protected or $500,000) to Dallas Mavericks (Chinanu Onuaku).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to the Sacramento Kings (either Houston’s own or the Golden State Warriors, Iman Shumpert).
- 2021 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap the lower of the Philadelphia 76ers or their own pick with the Rockets, provided the Houston pick is 5-30 (Russell Westbrook).
- 2021 — Can swap second-rounders with the Philadelphia 76ers (James Ennis).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (Alec Burks).
- 2023 — The Memphis Grizzlies can swap second-rounders, the lower of the Dallas Mavericks and Miami HEAT, provided Houston’s second is lower than 32 (Jordan Bell).
- 2024 — Owed second-rounder from the Golden State Warriors (Eric Paschall, Clint Capela).
- 2024 — Owe a first-rounder (top-four protected, otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Russell Westbrook).
- 2025 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap first-rounders, provided the Rockets’ selection is 11-30 (Russell Westbrook).
- 2026 — Owe a first-rounder (top-four protected, otherwise converts to a 2026 second-rounder and a payment of $1 million) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Russell Westbrook).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $1 million to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Russell Westbrook).
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- Note: NBA temporarily in a moratorium/on hiatus.
- 6/29/20 — Isaiah Hartenstein’s $1,663,861 guarantee for 2020-21.
- 6/29/20 — Player option on Austin Rivers.
- 6/30/20 — Ben McLemore’s $2,283,034 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 7/1/20 — P.J. Tucker’s $7,969,537 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 8/1/20 — Gary Clark’s 1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 1/10/21 — Chris Clemons’ $1,517,981 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 2/5/21 — Clint Capela, Nene and Gerald Green trade exceptions expire.
- 2/6/21 — Jordan Bell trade exception expires.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offers on Gary Clark and Isaiah Hartenstein.
- 6/29/21 — Team option on Chris Clemons.
- 1/10/22 — Chris Clemons’ $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Player options on James Harden and Russell Westbrook.
- 6/28/23 — Eric Gordon’s $20,917,02 guarantees for 2023-24*.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
* Eric Gordon’s 2023-24 salary guarantees in full if he’s named an NBA All-Star before the 2023-24 season, or the team wins a championship before the 2023-24 season, provided Gordon plays in at least 500 regular season minutes or in 750 minutes combined over the regular and postseason.
- 6/12/19 — Claimed Deyonta Davis off waivers.
- 6/29/19 — Extended qualifying offer to Danuel House.
- 7/2/19 — Signed Chris Clemons to a non-guaranteed $898,310 summer contract (exhibit 10).
- 7/2/19 — Signed William McDowell-White to a non-guaranteed $898,310 summer contract (exhibit 10).
- 7/2/19 — Signed Shamorie Ponds to a non-guaranteed $898,310 summer contract (exhibit 10).
- 7/16/19 — Traded Chris Paul, 2021 protected first-round swap rights, a 2024 protected first-rounder, 2025 first-round swap rights and a protected 2026 first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Russell Westbrook.
- 7/16/19 — Re-signed Austin Rivers to a two-year $4,610,364 contract, team option on the final season.
- 7/16/19 — Re-signed Danuel House on a three-year $11,151,000 million contract.
- 7/18/19 — Signed Tyson Chandler to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 7/22/19 — Re-signed Gerald Green to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 7/23/19 — Signed Ben McLemore to a non/partially-guaranteed $4,311,628 minimum contract.
- 7/25/19 — Signed Anthony Bennett to a non-guaranteed $1,737,145 minimum summer contract.
- 7/30/19 — Waived Deyonta Davis and Chris Chiozza.
- 7/31/19 — Renounced the rights to Marko Todorovic (2013-45th).
- 8/2/19 — Chinanu Onuaku trade exception ($1,544,951) expired.
- 8/31/19 — Ryan Anderson trade exception ($2,584,136) expired.
- 9/3/19 — Converted Shamorie Ponds to a two-way contract.
- 9/3/19 — Converted William McDowell-White to a two-way contract.
- 9/3/19 — Signed Eric Gordon to a partially-guaranteed four-year $75,574,356 contract extension.
- 9/3/19 — Re-signed Shamorie Ponds to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/3/19 — Re-signed William McDowell-White to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/4/19 — Converted Chris Clemons to a two-way contract.
- 9/6/19 — Re-signed Chris Clemons to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/6/19 — Re-signed Nene to a partially-guaranteed two-year $20 million contract (incentives TBD).
- 9/23/19 — Signed Thabo Sefolosha to a minimum $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 9/26/19 — Waived William McDowell-White.
- 9/26/19 — Signed Jaron Blossomgame to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/26/19 — Signed Ryan Anderson to a partially-guaranteed $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 10/9/19 — Waived Anthony Bennett.
- 10/10/19 — Claimed Ray Spalding off waivers (Atlanta Hawks).
- 10/17/19 — Waived Michael Frazier and Jaron Blossomgame.
- 10/17/19 — Signed Matur Maker to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/19/19 — Waived Matur Maker, Shamorie Ponds and Ray Spalding.
- 10/20/19 — Signed Michael Frazier to a two-way contract.
- 10/21/19 — Signed Ronshad Shabazz to a two-way contract.
- 10/21/19 — Ended Ronshad Shabazz’s two-way.
- 10/21/19 — Converted Chris Clemons to a two-way contract.
- 10/24/19 — Ben McLemore’s salary guaranteed at $500,000 for 2019-20.
- 11/18/19 — Waived Ryan Anderson.
- 12/27/19 — Signed Chris Clemons to a partially-guaranteed three-year $3,863,949 contract, team option on final season (after ending his two-way).
- 12/27/19 — Signed William Howard to a two-way contract.
- 1/7/20 — Waived Gary Clark.
- 1/7/20 — Michael Carter-Williams trade exception ($955,172) expired.
- 1/10/20 — Ben McLemore’s $2,028,594 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 1/10/20 — Isaiah Hartenstein’s $1,416,852 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 1/22/20 — Carmelo Anthony trade exception ($1,512,601) expired.
- 2/5/20 — Traded Clint Capela and Nene to the Atlanta Hawks, and Gerald Green and a 2020 first-rounder to the Denver Nuggets for Robert Covington and Jordan Bell from the Minnesota Timberwolves and a Golden State Warriors 2024 second-rounder from the Hawks.
- 2/6/20 — Traded Jordan Bell and second-round 2023 swap rights to the Memphis Grizzlies for Bruno Caboclo.
- 2/7/20 — Brandon Knight ($3,620,016), Marquese Chriss ($3,206,160), Nik Stauskas ($1,512,601), Wade Baldwin ($1,544,951) and James Ennis ($1,621,415) trade exceptions expired.
- 2/18/20 — Signed Jeff Green to a $144,901 10-day contract.
- 2/20/20 — Signed DeMarre Carroll for the rest of the season at $811,447.
- 2/27/20 — Jeff Green’s 10-day contract expired.
- 2/28/20 — Jeff Green signed for the rest of the season at $695,526.
- James Harden — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Sergio Llull (2009-34th), Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd), Axel Hervelle (2005-52nd), Serhiy Lishchuk (2004-49th), Venson Hamilton (1999-50th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Kenneth Faried ($1,620,564), Trevon Duval (two-way), Tarik Black** ($3,948,000)
** Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Arena: Toyota Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 3/13/20)