Quick: Over the cap.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($116 million cap): None
Roster Count: 11 guaranteed, nine non/partially-guaranteed
PG: Russell Westbrook, Austin Rivers, Shamorie Ponds, Chris Clemons
SG: Eric Gordon, Gerald Green, Michael Frazier, Ben McLemore
SF: James Harden, Danuel House, Thabo Sefolosha, Jaron Blossomgame
PF: P.J. Tucker, Gary Clark, Anthony Bennett
C: Clint Capela, Isaiah Hartenstein, Tyson Chandler, Nene (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Michael Carter-Williams, expiring 1/7/20) — $955,172
- Trade Exception (Carmelo Anthony, expiring 1/22/20) — $1,512,601
- Trade Exception (Brandon Knight, expiring 2/7/20) — 3,620,016
- Trade Exception (Marquese Chriss, expiring 2/7/20) — $3,206,160
- Trade Exception (Wade Baldwin, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,544,951
- Trade Exception (Nik Stauskas, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,512,601
- Trade Exception (James Ennis, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,621,415
- Mid-Level Exception — $5,718,000 (Danuel House)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Bird: Iman Shumpert ($16,516,851)
- Non-Bird: Kenneth Faried ($1,620,564), Trevon Duval (two-way), Vincent Edwards (two-way), Tarik Black** ($3,948,000)
** Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
- Ben McLemore $2,028,594 ($50,000 guaranteed)
- Anthony Bennett $1,737,145
- Jaron Blossomgame $1,445,697
- Isaiah Hartenstein $1,416,852 ($708,426 guaranteed)
- Gary Clark $1,416,852 ($708,426 guaranteed)
- Michael Frazier $1,416,852
- Chris Clemons $898,310
- Shamorie Ponds $898,310
Waived Players: Deyonta Davis, Chris Chiozza, William McDowell-White
Traded Players: Chris Paul
G-League Affiliate: Rio Grande Valley Vipers (general manager Jimmy Paulis, head coach Matt Brase)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: Mike D’Antoni
Assistants: Roy Rogers, Brett Gunning, John Lucas (player development), Josh Oppenheimer (player development), Kevin Burleson (player development)
Trainers: Jason Biles, Joe Rogowski (strength and conditioning), Keith Jones (sports performance and rehabilitation), Jason Biles (sports performance and rehabilitation), Javair Gillett (sports performance and rehabilitation)
- Daryl Morey — general manager
- Rafael Stone — executive vice president of basketball operations and general counsel
- Eli Witus — assistant general manager and executive vice president of basketball operations
- Monte McNair — assistant general manager
- Jimmy Paulis — director of player personnel
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from Golden State Warriors (Andrew Bogut, Chinanu Onuaku).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder (56-60 range) from the Memphis Grizzlies (Justin Holiday, Michael Carter-Williams).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder (top-39 protected or $500,000) to Dallas Mavericks (Chinanu Onuaku).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to the Sacramento Kings (either Houston’s own or the Golden State Warriors, Iman Shumpert).
- 2021 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap the lower of the Philadelphia 76ers or their own pick with the Rockets, provided the Houston pick is 5-30 (Russell Westbrook).
- 2021 — Can swap second-rounders with the Philadelphia 76ers (James Ennis).
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (Alec Burks).
- 2024 — Owe a first-rounder (top-four protected, otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Russell Westbrook).
- 2025 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap first-rounders, provided the Rockets’ selection is 11-30 (Russell Westbrook).
- 2026 — Owe a first-rounder (top-four protected, otherwise converts to a 2026 second-rounder and a payment of $1 million) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Russell Westbrook).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $1 million to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Russell Westbrook).
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- By first game of the 2019-20 season — Ben McLemore’s salary guarantees at $500,000 for 2019-20.
- 12/15/19 — No-trade restrictions lift on Austin Rivers, Danuel House, Tyson Chandler, Ben McLemore, Anthony Bennett, Shamorie Ponds, Chris Clemons and Gerald Green.
- 12/23/19 — No-trade restriction lifts on Thabo Sefolosha.
- 12/26/19 — No-trade restrictions on Jaron Blossomgame and Ryan Anderson.
- 1/7/20 — Michael Carter-Williams trade exception expires.
- 1/10/20 — Ben McLemore’s $2,028,594 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 1/10/20 — Anthony Bennett’s $1,737,145 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 1/10/20 — Jaron Blossomgame’s $1,445,697 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 1/10/20 — Isaiah Hartenstein’s $1,416,852 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 1/10/20 — Gary Clark’s 1,416,852 guarantees for 2019-20*.
- 1/10/20 — Chris Clemons and Shamorie Ponds’ $898,310 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 1/15/20 — No-trade restriction lifts on Nene.
- 1/22/20 — Carmelo Anthony trade exception expires.
- 2/7/20 — Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss, Nik Stauskas, Wade Baldwin and James Ennis trade exceptions expire.
- 3/3/20 — No-trade restriction lifts on Eric Gordon.
- 6/29/20 — Isaiah Hartenstein’s $1,663,861 guarantee for 2020-21.
- 6/29/20 — Team option on Michael Frazier.
- 6/29/20 — Player option on Austin Rivers.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offers for Jaron Blossomgame, Chris Clemons and Shamorie Ponds.
- 6/30/20 — Ben McLemore’s $2,283,034 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 7/1/20 — P.J. Tucker’s $7,969,537 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 8/1/20 — Gary Clark’s 1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 1/10/21 — Michael Frazier’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offers on Michael Frazier, Gary Clark and Isaiah Hartenstein.
- 6/29/22 — Player options on James Harden and Russell Westbrook.
- 6/28/23 — Eric Gordon’s $20,917,02 guarantees for 2023-24**.
- TBD – Nene’s incentive and guarantee detail.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
* Gary Clark’s 2019-20 salary would have guaranteed fully if he had played at least 37 games through the 2018-19 season on his most recent contract (he only played 30) and either the team missed the playoffs (didn’t), the team made the playoffs (did) and he played in at least two games (did) or if he was waived by 4/10/19 (wasn’t). He played two playoff games, but not enough in the regular season to lock in his salary, but he still has 50 percent guaranteed.
** Eric Gordon’s 2023-24 salary guarantees in full if he’s named an NBA All-Star before the 2023-24 season, or the team wins a championship before the 2023-24 season, provided Gordon plays in at least 500 regular season minutes or in 750 minutes combined over the regular and postseason.
Note: Nene has a heavily incentivized contract.
- 6/12/19 — Claimed Deyonta Davis off waivers.
- 6/29/19 — Extended qualifying offer to Danuel House.
- 7/2/19 — Signed Chris Clemons to a non-guaranteed $898,310 summer contract (exhibit 10).
- 7/2/19 — Signed William McDowell-White to a non-guaranteed $898,310 summer contract (exhibit 10).
- 7/2/19 — Signed Shamorie Ponds to a non-guaranteed $898,310 summer contract (exhibit 10).
- 7/16/19 — Traded Chris Paul, 2021 protected first-round swap rights, a 2024 protected first-rounder, 2025 first-round swap rights and a protected 2026 first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Russell Westbrook.
- 7/16/19 — Re-signed Austin Rivers to a two-year $4,610,364 contract, team option on the final season.
- 7/16/19 — Re-signed Danuel House on a three-year $11,151,000 million contract.
- 7/18/19 — Signed Tyson Chandler to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 7/22/19 — Re-signed Gerald Green to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 7/23/19 — Signed Ben McLemore to a non/partially-guaranteed $4,311,628 minimum contract.
- 7/25/19 — Signed Anthony Bennett to a non-guaranteed $1,737,145 minimum summer contract.
- 7/30/19 — Waived Deyonta Davis and Chris Chiozza.
- 7/31/19 — Renounced the rights to Marko Todorovic (2013-45th).
- 8/2/19 — Chinanu Onuaku trade exception ($1,544,951) expired.
- 8/31/19 — Ryan Anderson trade exception ($2,584,136) expired.
- 9/3/19 — Converted Shamorie Ponds to a two-way contract.
- 9/3/19 — Converted William McDowell-White to a two-way contract.
- 9/3/19 — Signed Eric Gordon to a partially-guaranteed four-year $75,574,356 contract.
- 9/3/19 — Re-signed Shamorie Ponds to a non-guaranteed $898,310 summer contract.
- 9/3/19 — Re-signed William McDowell-White to a non-guaranteed $898,310 summer contract.
- 9/4/19 — Converted Chris Clemons to a two-way contract.
- 9/6/19 — Re-signed Chris Clemons to a non-guaranteed $898,310 summer contract.
- 9/6/19 — Re-signed Nene to a partially-guaranteed two-year $20 million contract (incentives TBD).
- 9/23/19 — Signed Thabo Sefolosha to a minimum $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 9/26/19 — Waived William McDowell-White.
- 9/26/19 — Signed Jaron Blossomgame to a non-guaranteed $898,310 summer contract.
- James Harden — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Gerald Green (implicit), Austin Rivers (implicit), Eric Gordon (extension)
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Sergio Llull (2009-34th), Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd), Axel Hervelle (2005-52nd), Serhiy Lishchuk (2004-49th), Venson Hamilton (1999-50th)
Arena: Toyota Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/28/19)