Quick: Over the cap and over the tax threshold.
Salary Cap: $101,869,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Projected 2019-20 Cap Space ($109 million cap): None
Roster Count: Twelve guaranteed, six non/partially-guaranteed
PG: Chris Paul, Michael Carter-Williams, Brandon Knight, Rob Gray
SG: James Harden, Eric Gordon
SF: P.J. Tucker, Gerald Green, Vincent Edwards, Bruno Caboclo
PF: Carmelo Anthony, Marquese Chriss, James Ennis, Isaiah Hartenstein, Gary Clark
C: Clint Capela, Nene, Zhou Qi
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Tarik Black ($3,948,000, non-Bird)
- Joe Johnson ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
- Markel Brown (two-way, non-Bird)
- Michael Carter-Williams $1,757,429 ($1.2 million guaranteed)
- Bruno Caboclo $1,621,415
- Zhou Qi $1,378,242
- Vince Edwards $838,464
- Gary Clark $838,464
- Rob Gray $838,464
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Alessandro Gentile (2014-53rd), Marko Todorovic (2013-45th), Jon Diebler (2011-51st), Sergio Llull (2009-34th), Maarty Leunen (2008-54th), Axel Hervelle (2005-52nd), Serhiy Lishchuk (2004-49th), Venson Hamilton (1999-50th)
- Trade Exception (Chinanu Onuaku, expiring 8/2/19) — $1,544,951
- Trade Exception (Ryan Anderson, expiring 8/31/19) — $2,584,136
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $4,498,536 (Isaiah Hartenstein)
Waived Players: Aaron Jackson, R.J. Hunter (two-way)
Traded Players: Chinanu Onuaku, Ryan Anderson
- James Harden — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Gerald Green (implicit)
G-League Affiliate: Rio Grande Valley Vipers (general manager Jimmy Paulis, head coach Matt Brase)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: TBD
Head Coach: Mike D’Antoni
Assistants: Roy Rogers, Brett Gunning, John Lucas (player development), Josh Oppenheimer (player development), Kevin Burleson (player development)
Trainers: Jason Biles, Joe Rogowski (strength and conditioning), Keith Jones (sports performance and rehabilitation), Jason Biles (sports performance and rehabilitation), Javair Gillett (sports performance and rehabilitation)
- Daryl Morey — general manager
- Gersson Rosas — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Eli Witus — vice president of basketball operations
- Monte McNair — vice president of basketball operations
- Jimmy Paulis — director of player personnel
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to New York Knicks (Pablo Prigioni), may convey to Orlando Magic, Sacramento Kings, New York Knicks or Los Angeles Clippers.
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from Golden State Warriors (Andrew Bogut, Chinanu Onuaku).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder (top-39 protected or $500,000) to Dallas Mavericks (Chinanu Onuaku).
Cash Paid ($5,243,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,243,000 max): $2,044,951 to Dallas Mavericks ($500,000 conditional, Chinanu Onuaku) — $3,198,049 remaining
- 10/31/18 — No-package restriction lifts on Brandon Knight and Marquese Chriss.
- 10/31/18 — Team option on Marquese Chriss.
- 12/15/18 — No-trade restriction lifts on James Ennis, Carmelo Anthony, Rob Gray and Michael Carter-Williams.
- 1/10/19 — Michael Carter-Williams’ $1,757,429 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 1/10/19 –Zhou Qi’s $1,378,242 guarantee for 2018-19.
- 1/10/19 — Ron Gray, Gary Clark and Vincent Edwards’ $838,464 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 1/15/19 — No-trade restrictions lift on Chris Paul and Clint Capela.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Rob Gray, Gary Clark and Vincent Edwards.
- 6/29/19 — James Ennis and Nene’s player options.
- 7/15/19 — Isaiah Hartenstein’s $1,416,852 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 8/2/19 — Chinanu Onuaku trade exception expires.
- Before first day of 2019-20 season — Extension deadlines for Marquese Chriss.
- 1/10/20 — Zhou Qi’s $1,618,520 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/29/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Marquese Chriss.
- 6/29/20 — Team option on Zhou Qi.
- 6/29/20 — Isaiah Hartenstein’s $1,663,861 guarantee for 2020-21.
- 7/1/20 — P.J. Tucker’s $7,969,537 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 1/10/21 — Zhou Qi’s $1,752,950 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer on Isaiah Hartenstein.
- 6/29/21 — Player option on Chris Paul.
- 6/29/22 — Player option on James Harden.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is Jan. 10.
- 6/21/18 — Drafted De’Anthony Melton (46th).
- 6/22/18 — Traded $1.5 million to Utah Jazz for the rights to Vincent Edwards (2018-52nd).
- 6/29/18 — Opted Aaron Jackson into the final year of his contract.
- 6/29/18 — Issued qualifying offers to Clint Capela and Markel Brown.
- 7/3/18 — Signed Vince Edwards (2018-52nd) to a one-year non-guaranteed $838,464 minimum contract.
- 7/3/18 — Signed Gary Clark to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum contract.
- 7/6/18 — Signed Michael Carter-Williams to a partially-guaranteed one-year $1,757,429 minimum contract.
- 7/7/18 — Re-signed Chris Paul to a four-year $159,730,592 contract, player option on final season.
- 7/9/18 — Re-signed Gerald Green to a one-year $2,393,887 minimum contract.
- 7/13/18 — Revoked qualifying offer to Markel Brown.
- 7/13/18 — Signed James Ennis to a two-year $3,466,716 contract, player option on final season.
- 7/25/18 — Signed Isaiah Hartenstein (2017-43rd) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $3,919,177 contract.
- 7/27/18 — Signed Clint Capela to a five-year $90 million contract (incentives TBD).
- 8/2/18 — Traded Chinanu Onuaku, 2020 second-round swap rights (with a $500,000 contingency) and $1,544,951 to Dallas Mavericks for the rights to Maarty Leunen (2008-54th).
- 8/10/18 — Signed Rob Gray to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 8/13/18 — Signed Carmelo Anthony to a one-year $2,393,887 minimum contract.
- 8/20/18 — Signed Bruno Caboclo to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,621,415 minimum summer contract.
- 8/31/18 — Traded Ryan Anderson and the rights to De’Anthony Melton (2018-46th) to Phoenix Suns for Brandon Knight and Marquese Chriss.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Toyota Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/21/18)