Quick: Over the cap and over the tax threshold.
Salary Cap: $101,869,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Projected 2019-20 Cap Space ($109 million cap): None
Roster Count: Twelve guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Chris Paul, Austin Rivers
SG: Eric Gordon, Gerald Green, Danuel House
SF: James Harden, Iman Shumpert, Vincent Edwards (two-way)
PF: P.J. Tucker, Gary Clark
C: Kenneth Faried, Isaiah Hartenstein, Nene, Clint Capela (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Chinanu Onuaku, expiring 8/2/19) — $1,544,951
- Trade Exception (Ryan Anderson, expiring 8/31/19) — $2,584,136
- Trade Exception (Michael Carter-Williams, expiring 1/7/20) — $955,172
- Trade Exception (Carmelo Anthony, expiring 1/22/20) — $1,512,601
- Trade Exception (Brandon Knight, expiring 2/7/20) — 3,620,016
- Trade Exception (Marquese Chriss, expiring 2/7/20) — $3,206,160
- Trade Exception (Wade Baldwin, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,544,951
- Trade Exception (Nik Stauskas, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,512,601
- Trade Exception (James Ennis, expiring 2/7/20) — $1,621,415
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $3,901,663 (Isaiah Hartenstein, Zhou Qi)
Waived Players: Aaron Jackson, R.J. Hunter (two-way), Rob Gray, Bruno Caboclo, Tim Bond, Angel Rodriguez, Brandon Sampson, Alessandro Gentile, Danuel House
Expired 10-Day Contracts: James Nunnally (ended early)
Traded Players: Chinanu Onuaku, Ryan Anderson, Michael Carter-Williams, Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss, Nik Stauskas, Wade Baldwin, James Ennis
G-League Affiliate: Rio Grande Valley Vipers (general manager Jimmy Paulis, head coach Matt Brase)
Two-Way Contracts: Vince Edwards, Danuel House
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,737/$544
Head Coach: Mike D’Antoni
Assistants: Roy Rogers, Brett Gunning, John Lucas (player development), Josh Oppenheimer (player development), Kevin Burleson (player development)
Trainers: Jason Biles, Joe Rogowski (strength and conditioning), Keith Jones (sports performance and rehabilitation), Jason Biles (sports performance and rehabilitation), Javair Gillett (sports performance and rehabilitation)
- Daryl Morey — general manager
- Gersson Rosas — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Eli Witus — vice president of basketball operations
- Monte McNair — assistant general manager
- Jimmy Paulis — director of player personnel
- 2019 — Owe first-rounder (top-14 protected through 2023, then converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders to the Cleveland Cavaliers (Alec Burks).
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to New York Knicks (Pablo Prigioni), may convey to Orlando Magic, Sacramento Kings, New York Knicks or Los Angeles Clippers.
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from Golden State Warriors (Andrew Bogut, Chinanu Onuaku).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder (56-60 range) from the Memphis Grizzlies (Justin Holiday, Michael Carter-Williams).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder (top-39 protected or $500,000) to Dallas Mavericks (Chinanu Onuaku).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to the Sacramento Kings (either Houston’s own or the Golden State Warriors, Iman Shumpert).
- 2021 — Can swap second-rounders with the Philadelphia 76ers (James Ennis).
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (Alec Burks).
Cash Paid ($5,243,000 max): $2,044,951 to Dallas Mavericks ($500,000 conditional, Chinanu Onuaku), $1,065,696 to Chicago Bulls (Michael Carter-Williams), $1,566,570 to the Chicago Bulls (Carmelo Anthony) — $565,783 remaining
Cash Received ($5,243,000 max): TBD from the Indiana Pacers (Nik Stauskas/Wade Baldwin)
- 6/29/19 — Nene’s player options.
- 7/15/19 — Isaiah Hartenstein’s $1,416,852 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 8/2/19 — Chinanu Onuaku trade exception expires.
- 2/7/20 — Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss, Nik Stauskas, Wade Baldwin and James Ennis trade exceptions expire.
- 1/7/20 — Michael Carter-Williams trade exception expires.
- 1/10/20 — Gary Clark’s 1,416,852 guarantees if prior conditions weren’t met*.
- 1/22/20 — Carmelo Anthony trade exception expires.
- 6/29/20 — Isaiah Hartenstein’s $1,663,861 guarantee for 2020-21.
- 7/1/20 — P.J. Tucker’s $7,969,537 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 8/1/20 — Gary Clark’s 1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer on Isaiah Hartenstein.
- 6/29/21 — Player option on Chris Paul.
- 6/29/22 — Player option on James Harden.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is Jan. 10 but players need to be cut by Jan. 7 to clear waivers.
* Gary Clark’s 2019-20 salary guarantees if he plays in at least 37 games through the 2018-19 season and either the team misses the playoffs, the team makes the playoffs and he plays in at least two games or if he’s waived by 4/10/19.
- 6/21/18 — Drafted De’Anthony Melton (46th).
- 6/22/18 — Traded $1.5 million to Utah Jazz for the rights to Vincent Edwards (2018-52nd).
- 6/29/18 — Opted Aaron Jackson into the final year of his contract.
- 6/29/18 — Issued qualifying offers to Clint Capela and Markel Brown.
- 7/3/18 — Signed Vince Edwards (2018-52nd) to a one-year non-guaranteed $838,464 minimum contract.
- 7/3/18 — Signed Gary Clark to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum contract.
- 7/6/18 — Signed Michael Carter-Williams to a partially-guaranteed one-year $1,757,429 minimum contract.
- 7/7/18 — Re-signed Chris Paul to a four-year $159,730,592 contract, player option on final season.
- 7/9/18 — Re-signed Gerald Green to a one-year $2,393,887 minimum contract.
- 7/13/18 — Revoked qualifying offer to Markel Brown.
- 7/13/18 — Signed James Ennis to a two-year $3,466,716 contract, player option on final season.
- 7/25/18 — Signed Isaiah Hartenstein (2017-43rd) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $3,919,177 contract.
- 7/27/18 — Signed Clint Capela to a five-year $90 million contract (incentives TBD).
- 8/2/18 — Traded Chinanu Onuaku, 2020 second-round swap rights (with a $500,000 contingency) and $1,544,951 to Dallas Mavericks for the rights to Maarty Leunen (2008-54th).
- 8/10/18 — Signed Rob Gray to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 8/13/18 — Signed Carmelo Anthony to a one-year $2,393,887 minimum contract.
- 8/20/18 — Signed Bruno Caboclo to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,621,415 minimum summer contract.
- 8/31/18 — Traded Ryan Anderson and the rights to De’Anthony Melton (2018-46th) to Phoenix Suns for Brandon Knight and Marquese Chriss.
- 10/9/18 — Signed Brandon Sampson to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/10/18 — Signed Angel Rodriquez to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/12/18 — Signed Tim Bond to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/12/18 — Signed Alessandro Gentile (2014-53rd) to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/15/18 — Converted Gary Clark to a two-way contract.
- 10/15/18 — Converted Vince Edwards to a two-way contract.
- 10/31/18 — Declined the team option on Marquese Chriss.
- 11/26/18 — Signed Danuel House to a rest-of-season non-guaranteed $1,027,969 minimum contract.
- 12/6/18 — Signed Danuel House to a two-way contract.
- 12/8/18 — Signed Gary Clark to a partially-guaranteed three-year $3,677,586 contract.
- 12/24/18 — Signed Austin Rivers for the rest of the season at $1,155,324.
- 1/7/18 — Traded Michael Carter Williams and $1,065,696 to the Chicago Bulls for a protected 2020 second-rounder.
- 1/16/19 — Signed James Nunnally to a $76,236 10-day contract.
- 1/21/19 — Signed Kenneth Faried to a rest-of-season $917,271 minimum contract.
- 1/22/19 — Traded Carmelo Anthony, the rights to Jon Diebler (2011-51st) and $1,566,570 to the Chicago Bulls for the rights to Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd).
- 2/7/19 — Traded Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss, a 2019-first-rounder and a 2022 second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers and a 2020 second-rounder to the Sacramento Kings for Iman Shumpert from the Kings and a 2021 Milwaukee Bucks second-rounder from the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- 2/7/19 — Traded Nik Stauskas, Wade Baldwin, a 2021 Milwaukee Bucks second-rounder and the rights to Maarty Leunen (2008-54th) to the Indiana Pacers for cash (TBD).
- 2/7/19 — Traded James Ennis to the Philadelphia 76ers for 2021 second-round swap rights.
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Marko Todorovic (2013-45th), Sergio Llull (2009-34th), Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd), Axel Hervelle (2005-52nd), Serhiy Lishchuk (2004-49th), Venson Hamilton (1999-50th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Tarik Black ($3,948,000, non-Bird)
- Joe Johnson ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
- Markel Brown (two-way, non-Bird)
- James Harden — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Arena: Toyota Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 2/9/19)