Quick: Over the cap and over the tax threshold.
Salary Cap: $101,869,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Projected 2019-20 Cap Space ($109 million cap): None
Roster Count: Twelve guaranteed, two non/partially-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Chris Paul, Michael Carter-Williams, Brandon Knight (injured)
SG: James Harden, Eric Gordon
SF: James Ennis, Gerald Green, Vincent Edwards (two-way)
PF: P.J. Tucker, Gary Clark (two-way), Marquese Chriss, Carmelo Anthony (not with team)
C: Clint Capela, Zhou Qi, Isaiah Hartenstein, Nene (injured)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Tarik Black ($3,948,000, non-Bird)
- Joe Johnson ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
- Markel Brown (two-way, non-Bird)
- Michael Carter-Williams $1,757,429 ($1.2 million guaranteed)
- Zhou Qi $1,378,242
- Trade Exception (Chinanu Onuaku, expiring 8/2/19) — $1,544,951
- Trade Exception (Ryan Anderson, expiring 8/31/19) — $2,584,136
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $4,498,536 (Isaiah Hartenstein)
Waived Players: Aaron Jackson, R.J. Hunter (two-way), Rob Gray, Bruno Caboclo, Tim Bond, Angel Rodriguez, Brandon Sampson, Alessandro Gentile
Traded Players: Chinanu Onuaku, Ryan Anderson
- James Harden — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
No-Trade: Gerald Green (implicit)
G-League Affiliate: Rio Grande Valley Vipers (general manager Jimmy Paulis, head coach Matt Brase)
Two-Way Contracts: Gary Clark, Vince Edwards
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,737/$544
Head Coach: Mike D’Antoni
Assistants: Roy Rogers, Brett Gunning, John Lucas (player development), Josh Oppenheimer (player development), Kevin Burleson (player development)
Trainers: Jason Biles, Joe Rogowski (strength and conditioning), Keith Jones (sports performance and rehabilitation), Jason Biles (sports performance and rehabilitation), Javair Gillett (sports performance and rehabilitation)
- Daryl Morey — general manager
- Gersson Rosas — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Eli Witus — vice president of basketball operations
- Monte McNair — assistant general manager
- Jimmy Paulis — director of player personnel
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to New York Knicks (Pablo Prigioni), may convey to Orlando Magic, Sacramento Kings, New York Knicks or Los Angeles Clippers.
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from Golden State Warriors (Andrew Bogut, Chinanu Onuaku).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder (top-39 protected or $500,000) to Dallas Mavericks (Chinanu Onuaku).
Cash Paid ($5,243,000 max): $2,044,951 to Dallas Mavericks ($500,000 conditional, Chinanu Onuaku) — $3,198,049 remaining
Cash Received ($5,243,000 max): $0
- 12/15/18 — No-trade restriction lifts on James Ennis, Carmelo Anthony and Michael Carter-Williams.
- 1/10/19 — Michael Carter-Williams’ $1,757,429 guarantees for 2018-19.
- 1/10/19 –Zhou Qi’s $1,378,242 guarantee for 2018-19.
- 1/15/19 — No-trade restrictions lift on Chris Paul and Clint Capela.
- 6/29/19 — James Ennis and Nene’s player options.
- 7/15/19 — Isaiah Hartenstein’s $1,416,852 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 8/2/19 — Chinanu Onuaku trade exception expires.
- 1/10/20 — Zhou Qi’s $1,618,520 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 6/29/20 — Team option on Zhou Qi.
- 6/29/20 — Isaiah Hartenstein’s $1,663,861 guarantee for 2020-21.
- 7/1/20 — P.J. Tucker’s $7,969,537 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 1/10/21 — Zhou Qi’s $1,752,950 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer on Isaiah Hartenstein.
- 6/29/21 — Player option on Chris Paul.
- 6/29/22 — Player option on James Harden.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is Jan. 10.
- 6/21/18 — Drafted De’Anthony Melton (46th).
- 6/22/18 — Traded $1.5 million to Utah Jazz for the rights to Vincent Edwards (2018-52nd).
- 6/29/18 — Opted Aaron Jackson into the final year of his contract.
- 6/29/18 — Issued qualifying offers to Clint Capela and Markel Brown.
- 7/3/18 — Signed Vince Edwards (2018-52nd) to a one-year non-guaranteed $838,464 minimum contract.
- 7/3/18 — Signed Gary Clark to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum contract.
- 7/6/18 — Signed Michael Carter-Williams to a partially-guaranteed one-year $1,757,429 minimum contract.
- 7/7/18 — Re-signed Chris Paul to a four-year $159,730,592 contract, player option on final season.
- 7/9/18 — Re-signed Gerald Green to a one-year $2,393,887 minimum contract.
- 7/13/18 — Revoked qualifying offer to Markel Brown.
- 7/13/18 — Signed James Ennis to a two-year $3,466,716 contract, player option on final season.
- 7/25/18 — Signed Isaiah Hartenstein (2017-43rd) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $3,919,177 contract.
- 7/27/18 — Signed Clint Capela to a five-year $90 million contract (incentives TBD).
- 8/2/18 — Traded Chinanu Onuaku, 2020 second-round swap rights (with a $500,000 contingency) and $1,544,951 to Dallas Mavericks for the rights to Maarty Leunen (2008-54th).
- 8/10/18 — Signed Rob Gray to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 8/13/18 — Signed Carmelo Anthony to a one-year $2,393,887 minimum contract.
- 8/20/18 — Signed Bruno Caboclo to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,621,415 minimum summer contract.
- 8/31/18 — Traded Ryan Anderson and the rights to De’Anthony Melton (2018-46th) to Phoenix Suns for Brandon Knight and Marquese Chriss.
- 10/9/18 — Signed Brandon Sampson to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/10/18 — Signed Angel Rodriquez to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/12/18 — Signed Tim Bond to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/12/18 — Signed Alessandro Gentile (2014-53rd) to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/15/18 — Converted Gary Clark to a two-way contract.
- 10/15/18 — Converted Vince Edwards to a two-way contract.
- 10/31/18 — Declined the team option on Marquese Chriss.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Marko Todorovic (2013-45th), Jon Diebler (2011-51st), Sergio Llull (2009-34th), Maarty Leunen (2008-54th), Axel Hervelle (2005-52nd), Serhiy Lishchuk (2004-49th), Venson Hamilton (1999-50th)
Arena: Toyota Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 11/13/18)