|Isaiah Hartenstein (waived)||$1,416,852|
|Gary Clark (waived)||$708,426|
|Ryan Anderson (waived)||$500,000|
|Luc Mbah a Moute (substitute)||$183,115|
|Troy Williams (stretched)||$122,741|
|Jeff Green (expired 10-day)||$91,557|
|Anthony Bennett (waived)||$6,000|
|Michael Frazier (two-way)|
|William Howard (two-way)|
Quick: Over the cap.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, two two-ways, one substitute
PG: Russell Westbrook, Austin Rivers, Chris Clemons
SG: James Harden, Ben McLemore, Michael Frazier (two-way), David Nwaba (injured)
SF: Danuel House, Eric Gordon, Bruno Caboclo
PF: Robert Covington, Jeff Green, Luc Mbah a Moute (substitute), Thabo Sefolosha (opted out)
C: P.J. Tucker, DeMarre Carroll, Tyson Chandler
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Clint Capela, expiring 2/5/21) — $3,595,333
- Trade Exception (Nene, expiring 2/5/21) — $2,464,753
- Trade Exception (Gerald Green, expiring 2/5/21) — $1,620,564
- Trade Exception (Jordan Bell, expiring 2/6/21) — $1,620,564
- Mid-Level Exception — $4,251,542 (Danuel House, Chris Clemons, David Nwaba)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Waived Players: Deyonta Davis, Chris Chiozza, William McDowell-White, Anthony Bennett, Michael Frazier, Jaron Blossomgame, Matur Maker, Shamorie Ponds Ray Spalding, Ronshad Shabazz (two-way), Gary Clark, Isaiah Hartenstein
Traded Players: Chris Paul, Clint Capela, Nene, Gerald Green, Jordan Bell
Expired 10-Day Contracts: Jeff Green
G-League Affiliate: Rio Grande Valley Vipers (general manager Jimmy Paulis, head coach Matt Brase)
Two-Way Contracts: Michael Frazier, William Howard
Head Coach: Mike D’Antoni
Assistants: Roy Rogers, Brett Gunning, John Lucas (player development), Josh Oppenheimer (player development), Kevin Burleson (player development)
Trainers: Jason Biles, Joe Rogowski (strength and conditioning), Keith Jones (sports performance and rehabilitation), Jason Biles (sports performance and rehabilitation), Javair Gillett (sports performance and rehabilitation)
- Daryl Morey — general manager
- Rafael Stone — executive vice president of basketball operations and general counsel
- Eli Witus — assistant general manager and executive vice president of basketball operations
- Monte McNair — assistant general manager
- Jimmy Paulis — director of player personnel
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder from Golden State Warriors (Andrew Bogut, Chinanu Onuaku).
- 2020 — Owed second-rounder (56-60 range) from the Memphis Grizzlies (Justin Holiday, Michael Carter-Williams).
- 2020 — Owe first-rounder to the Denver Nuggets (Clint Capela).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder (top-39 protected or $500,000) to Dallas Mavericks (Chinanu Onuaku).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to the Sacramento Kings (either Houston’s own or the Golden State Warriors, Iman Shumpert).
- 2021 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap the lower of the Philadelphia 76ers or their own pick with the Rockets, provided the Houston pick is 5-30 (Russell Westbrook).
- 2021 — Can swap second-rounders with the Philadelphia 76ers (James Ennis).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (Alec Burks).
- 2023 — The Memphis Grizzlies can swap second-rounders, the lower of the Dallas Mavericks and Miami HEAT, provided Houston’s second is lower than 32 (Jordan Bell).
- 2024 — Owed second-rounder from the Golden State Warriors (Eric Paschall, Clint Capela).
- 2024 — Owe a first-rounder (top-four protected, otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Russell Westbrook).
- 2025 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap first-rounders, provided the Rockets’ selection is 11-30 (Russell Westbrook).
- 2026 — Owe a first-rounder (top-four protected, otherwise converts to a 2026 second-rounder and a payment of $1 million) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Russell Westbrook).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $1 million to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Russell Westbrook).
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 6/12/19 — Claimed Deyonta Davis off waivers.
- 6/29/19 — Extended qualifying offer to Danuel House.
- 7/2/19 — Signed Chris Clemons to a non-guaranteed $898,310 summer contract (exhibit 10).
- 7/2/19 — Signed William McDowell-White to a non-guaranteed $898,310 summer contract (exhibit 10).
- 7/2/19 — Signed Shamorie Ponds to a non-guaranteed $898,310 summer contract (exhibit 10).
- 7/16/19 — Traded Chris Paul, 2021 protected first-round swap rights, a 2024 protected first-rounder, 2025 first-round swap rights and a protected 2026 first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Russell Westbrook.
- 7/16/19 — Re-signed Austin Rivers to a two-year $4,610,364 contract, team option on the final season.
- 7/16/19 — Re-signed Danuel House on a three-year $11,151,000 million contract.
- 7/18/19 — Signed Tyson Chandler to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 7/22/19 — Re-signed Gerald Green to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 7/23/19 — Signed Ben McLemore to a non/partially-guaranteed $4,311,628 minimum contract.
- 7/25/19 — Signed Anthony Bennett to a non-guaranteed $1,737,145 minimum summer contract.
- 7/30/19 — Waived Deyonta Davis and Chris Chiozza.
- 7/31/19 — Renounced the rights to Marko Todorovic (2013-45th).
- 8/2/19 — Chinanu Onuaku trade exception ($1,544,951) expired.
- 8/31/19 — Ryan Anderson trade exception ($2,584,136) expired.
- 9/3/19 — Converted Shamorie Ponds to a two-way contract.
- 9/3/19 — Converted William McDowell-White to a two-way contract.
- 9/3/19 — Signed Eric Gordon to a partially-guaranteed four-year $75,574,356 contract extension.
- 9/3/19 — Re-signed Shamorie Ponds to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/3/19 — Re-signed William McDowell-White to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/4/19 — Converted Chris Clemons to a two-way contract.
- 9/6/19 — Re-signed Chris Clemons to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/6/19 — Re-signed Nene to a partially-guaranteed two-year $20 million contract (incentives TBD).
- 9/23/19 — Signed Thabo Sefolosha to a minimum $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 9/26/19 — Waived William McDowell-White.
- 9/26/19 — Signed Jaron Blossomgame to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 9/26/19 — Signed Ryan Anderson to a partially-guaranteed $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 10/9/19 — Waived Anthony Bennett.
- 10/10/19 — Claimed Ray Spalding off waivers (Atlanta Hawks).
- 10/17/19 — Waived Michael Frazier and Jaron Blossomgame.
- 10/17/19 — Signed Matur Maker to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract.
- 10/19/19 — Waived Matur Maker, Shamorie Ponds and Ray Spalding.
- 10/20/19 — Signed Michael Frazier to a two-way contract.
- 10/21/19 — Signed Ronshad Shabazz to a two-way contract.
- 10/21/19 — Ended Ronshad Shabazz’s two-way.
- 10/21/19 — Converted Chris Clemons to a two-way contract.
- 10/24/19 — Ben McLemore’s salary guaranteed at $500,000 for 2019-20.
- 11/18/19 — Waived Ryan Anderson.
- 12/27/19 — Signed Chris Clemons to a partially-guaranteed three-year $3,863,949 contract, team option on final season (after ending his two-way).
- 12/27/19 — Signed William Howard to a two-way contract.
- 1/7/20 — Waived Gary Clark.
- 1/7/20 — Michael Carter-Williams trade exception ($955,172) expired.
- 1/10/20 — Ben McLemore’s $2,028,594 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 1/10/20 — Isaiah Hartenstein’s $1,416,852 guaranteed for 2019-20.
- 1/22/20 — Carmelo Anthony trade exception ($1,512,601) expired.
- 2/5/20 — Traded Clint Capela and Nene to the Atlanta Hawks, and Gerald Green and a 2020 first-rounder to the Denver Nuggets for Robert Covington and Jordan Bell from the Minnesota Timberwolves and a Golden State Warriors 2024 second-rounder from the Hawks.
- 2/6/20 — Traded Jordan Bell and second-round 2023 swap rights to the Memphis Grizzlies for Bruno Caboclo.
- 2/7/20 — Brandon Knight ($3,620,016), Marquese Chriss ($3,206,160), Nik Stauskas ($1,512,601), Wade Baldwin ($1,544,951) and James Ennis ($1,621,415) trade exceptions expired.
- 2/12/20 — Guaranteed PJ Tucker’s $7,969,537 for 2020-21.
- 2/18/20 — Signed Jeff Green to a $144,901 10-day contract.
- 2/20/20 — Signed DeMarre Carroll for the rest of the season at $811,447.
- 2/27/20 — Jeff Green’s 10-day contract expired.
- 2/28/20 — Jeff Green signed for the rest of the season at $695,526.
- 6/23/20 — Waived Isaiah Hartenstein.
- 6/23/20 — Signed David Nwaba to a two-year $2,727,114 contract, team option on final season.
- 6/25/20 — Isaiah Hartenstein cleared waivers.
- 7/6/20 — Signed Luc Mbah a Moute to a $289,803 substitute contract.
- James Harden — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Sergio Llull (2009-34th), Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd), Axel Hervelle (2005-52nd), Serhiy Lishchuk (2004-49th), Venson Hamilton (1999-50th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Kenneth Faried* ($1,620,564), Trevon Duval* (two-way), Tarik Black* ($3,948,000)
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
Arena: Toyota Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 10/30/20)