Quick: Over the cap.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($109.14 million cap): Over the cap and tax.
Roster Count: Six guaranteed, one team option, one player option, two non-guaranteed
PG: Russell Westbrook, Austin Rivers (PO), Chris Clemons
SG: James Harden, Ben McLemore, David Nwaba (TO)
SF: Danuel House, Eric Gordon
PF: Robert Covington
C: P.J. Tucker
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Clint Capela, expiring 2/5/21) — $3,595,333
- Trade Exception (Nene, expiring 2/5/21) — $2,464,753
- Trade Exception (Gerald Green, expiring 2/5/21) — $1,620,564
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $5,718,000
2020 NBA Draft: None; 22nd to the Denver Nuggets (Clint Capela), 52nd to the Sacramento Kings (Iman Shumpert)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Sergio Llull (2009-34th), Tadija Dragicevic (2008-53rd), Axel Hervelle (2005-52nd), Serhiy Lishchuk (2004-49th), Venson Hamilton (1999-50th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Ben McLemore $2,283,034 — 11/20/20
- Chris Clemons $1,517,981 — 2/24/21
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Early Bird: Austin Rivers (PO, $1,620,564), Bruno Caboclo ($1,620,564)
- Non-Bird: Tyson Chandler ($1,620,564), Thabo Sefolosha ($1,620,564), David Nwaba (TO, $1,620,564), DeMarre Carroll ($1,620,564), Jeff Green ($1,620,564), Michael Frazier (RFA**, $1,445,697), William Howard (RFA**, $1,445,697), Kenneth Faried*** ($1,620,564), Trevon Duval*** ($1,445,697), Tarik Black*** ($3,948,000)
- None: Luc Mbah a Moute (substitute)
** Restricted, pending qualifying offer.
*** Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
- Michael Frazier — one-year two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed)
- William Howard — one-year two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
- James Harden — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
G-League Affiliate: Rio Grande Valley Vipers (general manager Jimmy Paulis, head coach Matt Brase)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Head Coach: Stephen Silas
Trainers: Jason Biles (director of athletic performance), Javair Gillett (trainer), Joe Rogowski (strength & conditioning coach)
- Rafael Stone — general manager
- Eli Witus — assistant general manager and executive vice president of basketball operations
- Scott Manley — assistant general manager
- Jimmy Paulis — director of player personnel
- Keith Jones — senior vice president of basketball operations
- 2021 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap the lower of the Philadelphia 76ers or their own pick with the Rockets, provided the Houston pick is 5-30 (Russell Westbrook).
- 2021 — Can swap second-rounders with the Philadelphia 76ers (James Ennis).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (Alec Burks).
- 2023 — The Memphis Grizzlies can swap second-rounders, the lower of the Dallas Mavericks and Miami HEAT, provided Houston’s second is lower than 32 (Jordan Bell).
- 2024 — Owed second-rounder from the Golden State Warriors (Eric Paschall, Clint Capela).
- 2024 — Owe a first-rounder (top-four protected, otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Russell Westbrook).
- 2025 — The Oklahoma City Thunder can swap first-rounders, provided the Rockets’ selection is 11-30 (Russell Westbrook).
- 2026 — Owe a first-rounder (top-four protected, otherwise converts to a 2026 second-rounder and a payment of $1 million) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Russell Westbrook).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $1 million to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Russell Westbrook).
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 11/18/20 — NBA Draft.
- 11/19/20 — Player option on Austin Rivers.
- 11/19/20 — Team option on David Nwaba.
- 11/20/20 — Free agent negotiations begin at 6:00 p.m. ET.
- 11/21/20 — NBA moratorium.
- 11/22/20 — Free agent signings begin at 12:01 p.m. ET.
- 11/20/20 — Ben McLemore’s $2,283,034 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 12/1/20 — First day of training camp.
- 12/9/20 — Deadline to stretch a player on the 2020-21 books.
- 12/22/20 — First day of the 2021-22 season.
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 2/24/21 — Chris Clemons’ $1,517,981 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 2/5/21 — Clint Capela, Nene and Gerald Green trade exceptions expire.
- 2/6/21 — Jordan Bell trade exception expires.
- 7/31/21 — Team option on Chris Clemons.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Final day of 2021-22 moratorium.
- 1/10/22 — Chris Clemons’ $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Player options on James Harden and Russell Westbrook.
- 6/28/23 — Eric Gordon’s $20,917,02 guarantees for 2023-24*.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates
* Eric Gordon’s 2023-24 salary guarantees in full if he’s named an NBA All-Star before the 2023-24 season, or the team wins a championship before the 2023-24 season, provided Gordon plays in at least 500 regular season minutes or in 750 minutes combined over the regular and postseason.
- 10/15/20 — Agreed to part ways with general manager Daryl Morey.
- 10/15/20 — Promoted Rafael Stone to general manager.
- 10/30/20 — Hired coach Stephen Silas.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Toyota Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 11/18/20)