Quick: Over the cap and the tax threshold.
Salary Cap: $101,869,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Projected 2019-20 Cap Space ($109 million cap): Up to $29.4 million, none/less if players like Hassan Whiteside and/or Goran Dragic opt in.
Roster Count: Thirteen guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Justise Winslow, Goran Dragic (injured)
SG: Dion Waiters, Dwyane Wade
SF: Josh Richardson, Rodney McGruder, Derrick Jones (injured)
PF: Kelly Olynyk, James Johnson, Duncan Robinson (two-way), Yante Maten (two-way), Udonis Haslem, Ryan Anderson
C: Hassan Whiteside, Bam Adebayo
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Wayne Ellington, expiring 2/6/20) — $6,270,000
- Mid-Level Exception — $8,641,000
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,382,000
Note: If team needs to avoid a hard cap, they lose the standard Mid-Level and Bi-Annual Exceptions and gain the $5,291,918 Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception.
Waived Players: Marcus Lee, Malik Newman, Charles Cooke, DeAndre Liggins, Rodney Purvis, Raphiael Putney, Briante Weber, Jarnell Stokes
Traded Players: Tyler Johnson, Wayne Ellington
G-League Affiliate: Sioux Falls Skyforce (general manager of basketball operations Adam Simon, Coach Dan Craig)
Two-Way Contracts: Duncan Robinson, Yante Maten
Two-Way Daily Rate in NBA/G-League: $4,608/$528
Head Coach: Erik Spoelstra
Assistants: Juwan Howard, Keith Smart, Chris Quinn (player development), Anthony Carter (player development)
Trainers: Jay Sabol, Bill Foran (strength and conditioning)
- Pat Riley — president of basketball operations
- Andy Elisburg — general manager
- Adam Simon — vice president, player personnel/assistant general manager
- Chet Kammerer — senior advisor of basketball operations
- 2019 — Owe second-rounder to Minnesota Timberwolves (Shabazz Napier, Mo Williams).
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to Sacramento Kings (Zoran Dragic, Kyrie Irving, George Hill).
- 2021 — Owe first-rounder to Philadelphia 76ers (Goran Dragic, Mikal Bridges).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to Sacramento Kings (Brian Roberts, Gary Trent Jr.).
- 2023 — Owe second-rounder to Dallas Mavericks (Josh McRoberts).
- 2024 — Owe second-rounder (top-55 protected) to Cleveland Cavaliers (Dwyane Wade).
Cash Paid ($5,243,000 max): TBD to Phoenix Suns (Tyler Johnson)
Cash Received ($5,243,000 max): $0
- 6/29/19 — Player options for Goran Dragic and Hassan Whiteside.
- 6/29/19 — Qualifying offer deadline on Rodney McGruder.
- 7/10/19 — Ryan Anderson’s $21,264,635 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 8/1/19 — Derrick Jones’ $1,645,357 guarantees for 2019-20.
- 10/31/19 — Team option on Bam Adebayo.
- 2/6/20 — Wayne Ellington trade exception expires.
- 6/29/20 — Player option for Kelly Olynyk and James Johnson.
- Before first day of 2020 season — Extension deadline on Bam Adebayo.
- 6/29/21 — Team option deadline for Justise Winslow.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Bam Adebayo.
- 6/29/21 — Player option deadline for Josh Richardson.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is approximately January 10.
- 6/11/18 — Issued qualifying offer to Derrick Jones.
- 6/27/18 — Issued qualifying offer to Derrick Walton Jr.
- 6/30/18 — Rodney McGruder’s $1,544,951 guaranteed for 2018-19.
- 7/1/18 — Signed Derrick Jones to a partially-guaranteed two-year $3,157,958 contract.
- 7/10/18 — Revoked Derrick Walton Jr.’s qualifying offer.
- 7/10/18 — Signed Duncan Robinson to a two-way contract.
- 7/13/18 — Signed Wayne Ellington to a one-year $6,270,000 contract.
- 7/29/18 — Signed Yante Maten to a two-way contract.
- 8/6/18 — Signed Malik Newman to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 8/15/18 — Signed Marcus Lee to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 8/21/18 — Signed Briante Weber to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,567,007 minimum summer contract.
- 8/27/18 — Signed Jarnell Stokes to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,567,007 minimum summer contract.
- 9/10/18 — Re-signed Udonis Haslem to a one-year $2,393,887 minimum contract.
- 9/12/18 — Picked up Bam Adebayo’s third-year option.
- 9/18/18 — Re-signed Dwyane Wade to a one-year $2,393,887 minimum contract.
- 10/6/18 — Signed Charles Cooke to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,349,383 minimum summer contract.
- 10/6/18 — Signed DeAndre Liggins to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,757,429 minimum summer contract.
- 10/11/18 — Signed Rodney Purvis to a non-guaranteed one-year $1,349,383 minimum summer contract.
- 10/11/18 – Signed Raphiael Putney to a non-guaranteed one-year $838,464 minimum summer contract.
- 10/15/18 — Signed Justise Winslow to a three-year $39 million extension, team option on final season.
- 2/6/19 — Traded Tyler Johnson, Wayne Ellington and cash (TBD) to the Phoenix Suns for Ryan Anderson.
- 2/8/19 — Okaro White trade exception ($1,312,611) expired.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Roberto Duenas (1997-58th), George Banks (1995-46th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Luke Babbitt ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
- Jordan Mickey ($1,499,698, non-Bird)
- Kelly Olynyk — five percent or the lesser of $2 million.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Arena: American Airlines Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 2/9/19)