Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Avery Bradley and Mo Harkless contracts via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $28.2 million in cap space, down to $20.6 million with Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn’s cap holds.
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Tyler Herro, Goran Dragic, Kendrick Nunn, Gabe Vincent
SG: Duncan Robinson, Max Strus (two-way), Avery Bradley (injured)
SF: Jimmy Butler, Andre Iguodala, Mo Harkless, KZ Okpala
PF: Kelly Olynyk, Precious Achiuwa, Chris Silva, Udonis Haslem
C: Bam Adebayo, Meyers Leonard (injured)
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (James Johnson, expiring 3/22/21) — $7,533,867
- Mid-Level Exception — $0 (Avery Bradley, Mo Harkless)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Waived Players: Breein Tyree, Paul Eboua (claimed by the Brooklyn Nets), BJ Johnson
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Sioux Falls Skyforce (general manager Eric Amsler, coach TBD)
Two-Way Contracts: Gabe Vincent, Max Strus
Governor: Micky Arison
- Nick Arison — chief executive officer
- Pat Riley — president
- Andy Elisburg — senior vice president, basketball operations/general manager
- Shane Battier — vice president, basketball development & analytics
- Adam Simon — vice president, basketball operations/assistant general manager
- Chet Kammerer — senior advisor of basketball operations/basketball
- Keith Askins — director of college & pro scouting
- Chad Kammerer — director of NBA scouting/advance scout
Head Coach: Erik Spoelstra
Assistants: Chris Quinn, Malik Allen, Caron Butler, Octavio De La Grana, Anthony Carter, Rob Fodor, Eric Glass
Trainers: Jay Sabol, Eric Foran (head strength & conditioning coach)
- 2021 — Owe first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Goran Dragic, Mikal Bridges, Tobias Harris, Paul George) or Houston Rockets (Chris Paul). To the Thunder if the Rockets are 1-4. If the Rockets are 5-30, the two higher picks of the Thunder, Rockets and HEAT to the Thunder, the lowest to the Rockets.
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to the Atlanta Hawks (Brian Roberts, Gary Trent Jr., Dewayne Dedmon).
- 2022 — Owed second-rounder from the Denver Nuggets (Bol Manute Bol), may come from the Philadelphia 76ers.
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder to the Indiana Pacers (Thaddeus Young).
- 2023 — Owe first-rounder (lottery protected through 2025, unprotected in 2026) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Jimmy Butler, Paul George).
- 2023 — The higher second-rounder from the Miami HEAT and Dallas Mavericks to the Oklahoma City Thunder. The higher of (the lower second-rounder from Miami and Dallas) and the Houston Rockets (33-60) goes to the Boston Celtics. The pick that does not go to Boston (including Houston 31-32) goes to the Indiana Pacers (Josh McRoberts, Delon Wright, Bruno Caboclo, Desmond Bane, James Johnson, James Harden).
- 2024 — Owe second-rounder (in the 51-55 range) to the Atlanta Hawks (Bol Manute Bol).
- 2024 — Owe second-rounder (not in the 51-55 range) to the Philadelphia 76ers (Dwyane Wade, Kevin Porter Jr., Jordan Bone).
- 2025 — Owe second-rounder to the Indiana Pacers (Thaddeus Young).
- 2026 — Owe second-rounder to the Indiana Pacers (Thaddeus Young).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 3/7/21 — All two-way contracts guarantee for 2020-21.
- 3/22/21 — James Johnson trade exception expires.
- 3/25/21 — Trade deadline.
- 7/31/21 — Team option deadlines for Andre Iguodala, Meyers Leonard, Avery Bradley and Chris Silva.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Max Strus, Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/2/21 — Bam Adebayo’s poison pill expires.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Tyler Herro and Precious Achiuwa.
- 6/29/22 — Player option deadline for Jimmy Butler.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Chris Silva and KZ Okpala.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Tyler Herro.
- 10/31/22 — Team option on Precious Achiuwa.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Tyler Herro.
- Before the first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Precious Achiuwa
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Precious Achiuwa.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 11/17/20 — Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn’s $1,663,861 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Precious Achiuwa (2020-20th).
- 11/19/20 — Kelly Olynyk opted into the final year of his contract.
- 11/19/20 — Issued a qualifying offer to Gabe Vincent.
- 11/19/20 — Declined to issue a qualifying offer to Kyle Alexander.
- 11/21/20 — Re-signed Gabe Vincent to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/22/20 — Re-signed Goran Dragic to a two-year $37,440,000 contract, team option on the final season.
- 11/22/20 — Re-signed Meyers Leonard to a two-year $19,552,000 contract, team option on the final season.
- 11/23/20 — Signed Avery Bradley to a two-year $11,551,750 contract, team option on the final season.
- 11/23/20 — Signed Mo Harkless to a $3,623,000 contract.
- 11/25/20 — Signed Precious Achiuwa (2020-20th) to a $12,513,127 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/25/20 — Signed Paul Eboua to a $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/25/20 — Signed Breein Tyree to a $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/28/20 — Re-signed Bam Adebayo to a five-year designated maximum extension at a projected $125,903,680. Actual salary to be set at the start of the 2021-22 calendar year. Adebayo can earn 25, 27.5, 28.5 or 30 percent of the salary cap for 2021-22.
- 11/28/20 — Re-signed Udonis Haslem to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Max Strus to a $1,445,697 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/4/20 — Signed BJ Johnson to a $1,620,564 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/16/20 — Waived Breein Tyree and Paul Eboua (claimed by the Brooklyn Nets).
- 12/19/20 — Converted Max Strus to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 12/19/20 — Waived BJ Johnson.
No-Trade: Goran Dragic (One-Year Bird), Udonis Haslem (One-Year Bird)
- Jimmy Butler — 15 percent
- Andre Iguodala — 7.5 percent
- Kelly Olynyk — five percent or the lesser of $2 million.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
- Bam Adebayo $28,019,299 (expiring 8/2/21)
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: None
- Early Bird: Dwyane Wade*** ($1,620,564)
- Non-Bird: Kyle Alexander (two-way), Luke Babbitt*** ($1,620,564), Jordan Mickey*** ($1,620,564)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Roberto Duenas (1997-58th), George Banks (1995-46th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Arena: American Airlines Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 2/26/21)