Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped via the Jimmy Butler sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($109.14 million cap): Up to $33.6 million in cap space, down to $21.3 million if Kelly Olynyk opts in, none with the Goran Dragic cap hold.
Roster Count: Eight guaranteed, one player option
PG: Kendrick Nunn
SG: Jimmy Butler, Tyler Herro, Chris Silva
SF: Duncan Robinson, Andre Iguodala, KZ Okpala
PF: Bam Adebayo
C: Kelly Olynyk (PO)
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (James Johnson, expiring 2/6/21) — $7,533,867
- Mid-Level Exception — $9,258,000
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
2020 NBA Draft: 20th ($2,582,160 cap hold); 50th to the Atlanta Hawks
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Roberto Duenas (1997-58th), George Banks (1995-46th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Goran Dragic ($28,826,860), Solomon Hill ($19,138,172), Kelly Olynyk (PO, $19,001,828), Meyers Leonard ($16,929,733), Jae Crowder ($14,849,513), Derrick Jones ($1,620,564), Udonis Haslem ($1,620,564)
- Early Bird: Dwyane Wade*** ($1,620,564)
- Non-Bird: Gabe Vincent (RFA**, $898,310), Kyle Alexander (RFA**, $898,310), Luke Babbitt*** ($1,620,564), Jordan Mickey*** ($1,620,564)
** Restricted, pending qualifying offer.
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
- Gabe Vincent — one-year two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed)
- Kyler Alexander — one-year two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Bam Adebayo
- Tyler Herro
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
- Jimmy Butler — 15 percent
- Kelly Olynyk — five percent or the lesser of $2 million.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
G-League Affiliate: Sioux Falls Skyforce (general manager Eric Amsler, Coach Eric Glass)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Head Coach: Erik Spoelstra
Assistants: Juwan Howard, Keith Smart, Malik Allen, Chris Quinn, Anthony Carter, Caron Butler
Trainers: Jay Sabol, Bill Foran (strength and conditioning)
- Pat Riley — president
- Andy Elisburg — senior vice president, basketball operations/general manager
- Chet Kammerer — senior advisor of basketball operations/basketball
- Adam Simon — vice president, basketball operations/assistant general manager
- Shane Battier — vice president, basketball development & analytics
- 2021 — Owe first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Goran Dragic, Mikal Bridges, Tobias Harris, Paul George).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to the Atlanta Hawks (Brian Roberts, Gary Trent Jr., Dewayne Dedmon).
- 2022 — Owed second-rounder from the Denver Nuggets (Bol Manute Bol), may come from the Philadelphia 76ers.
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder to the Indiana Pacers (Thaddeus Young).
- 2023 — Owe first-rounder (lottery protected through 2025, unprotected in 2026) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Jimmy Butler, Paul George).
- 2023 — Owe second-rounder to the Dallas Mavericks or Memphis Grizzlies (Josh McRoberts, Delon Wright).
- 2024 — Owe second-rounder (in the 51-55 range) to the Atlanta Hawks (Bol Manute Bol).
- 2024 — Owe second-rounder (not in the 51-55 range) to the Philadelphia 76ers (Dwyane Wade, Kevin Porter Jr., Jordan Bone).
- 2025 — Owe second-rounder to the Indiana Pacers (Thaddeus Young).
- 2026 — Owe second-rounder to the Indiana Pacers (Thaddeus Young).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 11/18/20 — NBA Draft.
- 11/19/20 — Player option for Kelly Olynyk.
- 11/19/20 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Gabe Vincent and Kyle Alexander.
- 11/20/20 — Free agent negotiations begin at 6:00 p.m. ET.
- 11/21/20 — NBA moratorium.
- 11/22/20 — Free agent signings begin at 12:01 p.m. ET.
- 11/27/20 — Deadline to withdraw qualifying offers to Gabe Vincent and Kyle Alexander.
- 12/1/20 — First day of training camp.
- 12/9/20 — Deadline to stretch a player on the 2020-21 books.
- 12/21/20 — Extension deadline on Bam Adebayo.
- 12/22/20 — First day of the 2021-22 season.
- 12/29/20 — Team option on Tyler Herro.
- 2/6/21 — James Johnson trade exception expires.
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 7/31/21 — Team option deadlines for Andre Iguodala and Chris Silva.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Bam Adebayo, Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Tyler Herro.
- 6/29/22 — Player option deadline for Jimmy Butler.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Chris Silva and KZ Okpala.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Tyler Herro.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Tyler Herro.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- 11/17/20 — Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn’s $1,663,861 guaranteed for 2020-21.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: American Airlines Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 11/18/20)