Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Jae Crowder contract via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $22.5 million in cap space, none if Chris Paul opts in.
Roster Count: 12 guaranteed, three non/partially-guaranteed, one two-way
PG: Chris Paul, Cameron Payne, Jevon Carter
SG: Devin Booker, Langston Galloway, E’Twaun Moore, Ty-Shon Alexander (two-way)
SF: Jae Crowder, Cameron Johnson, Abdel Nader
PF: Mikal Bridges, Dario Saric
C: Deandre Ayton, Jalen Smith, Damian Jones, Frank Kaminsky
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Jalen Lecque, expiring 7/19/21) — $898,310
- Mid-Level Exception — $0 (Jae Crowder)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Cameron Payne $1,977,011 — TBD
- Frank Kaminsky $1,882,867 — 2/24/21
- Damian Jones $1,737,145 ($350,000 guaranteed) — TBD
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but no later than 2/24/21.
Waived Players: Elie Okobo, Johnathan Motley
Traded Players: Ricky Rubio, Kelly Oubre, Ty Jerome, Jalen Lecque
G-League Affiliate: None
Two-Way Contracts: Ty-Shon Alexander
Governor: Robert Sarver
- James Jones — general manager
- Jeff Bower — senior vice president of basketball operations
- Trevor Bukstein — assistant general manager
- Bubba Burrage — director of player personnel
- Ryan Resch — director of basketball strategy
Head Coach: Monty Williams
Assistants: Willie Green, Mark Bryant, Randy Ayers
Trainer: Brady Howe (senior director of player health and performance), David Crewe (director of medical services/head athletic trainer)
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder (31-35) to the Memphis Grizzlies (Josh Jackson.
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder (36-60) to the Brooklyn Nets (Jared Dudley).
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder (top-12 protected in 2022, top-10 in 2023, top-eight in 2024, unprotected in 2025) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Chris Paul).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 2/6/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Jae Crowder, Frank Kaminsky, Langston Galloway, E’Twaun Moore and Damian Jones.
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 2/24/21 — Frank Kaminsky’s $1,882,867 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 3/3/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Dario Saric and Jevon Carter.
- 3/7/21 — All two-way contracts guarantee for 2020-21.
- 3/25/21 — Trade deadline.
- 7/1/21 — Damian Jones’ $1,977,011 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 7/19/21 — Jalen Lecque trade exception expires.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Final day of 2021-22 moratorium.
- Before first day of the 2021-22 season — Extension deadline for Deandre Ayton and Mikal Bridges.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Cameron Johnson and Jalen Smith.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Deandre Ayton and Mikal Bridges.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Cameron Johnson.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Jalen Smith.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Deandre Ayton and Cameron Johnson.
- Before the first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Jalen Smith.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Jalen Smith.
- TBD — Cameron Payne’s $1,977,011 guarantees for 2020-21.
- TBD– Damian Jones’ $1,737,145 guarantees for 2020-21.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than 2/24/21.
- 11/16/20 — Traded Kelly Oubre, Ricky Rubio, Ty Jerome, Jalen Lecque and a protected 2022 first-rounder (top-12 in 2022, top-10 in 2023, top-8 in 2024, unprotected in 2025) to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Chris Paul and Abdel Nader.
- 11/18/20 — Opted Cameron Payton into the final year of his contract.
- 11/18/20 — Issued qualifying offers to Dario Saric and Jevon Carter.
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Jalen Smith (2020-10th).
- 11/19/20 — Opted Frank Kaminsky and Cheick Diallo out of the final years of their contracts.
- 11/19/20 — Declined to issue Tariq Owens a qualifying offer.
- 11/23/20 — Waived Elie Okobo.
- 11/23/20 — Re-signed Jevon Carter to a three-year $11.5 million contract.
- 11/23/20 — Signed Ty-Shon Alexander to a two-year two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/24/20 — Signed Jalen Smith (2020-10th) to a $19,328,334 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/28/20 — Re-signed Dario Saric to a three-year $27 million contract.
- 11/28/20 — Signed Langston Galloway to a $2,028,594 minimum contract.
- 11/28/20 — Signed Damian Jones to a partially-guaranteed two-year $3,714,156 minimum contract.
- 11/28/20 — Signed E’Twaun Moore to a $2,331,593 minimum contract.
- 11/28/20 — Abdel Nader’s $1,752,950 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/28/20 — Signed Jae Crowder to a three-year $29,162,700 contract.
- 11/29/20 — Signed Johnathan Motley to a non-guaranteed $1,678,854 minimum contract.
- 12/19/20 — Waived Johnathan Motley.
- 12/21/20 — Claimed Frank Kaminsky off waivers (Sacramento Kings).
- 12/21/20 — Picked up the third-year rookie-scale option on Cameron Johnson.
- 12/21/20 — Picked up the fourth-year rookie-scale options on Deandre Ayton and Mikal Bridges.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None.
- Second-rounders: Dwayne Collins (2010-60th), Cenk Akyol (2005-59th), Milos Vujanic (2002-36th), Ron Ellis (1992-49th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds*)
- Full Bird: None
- Early Bird: None
- Non-Bird: Cheick Diallo ($1,620,564), Tariq Owens ($1,445,697)
Arena: Talking Stick Resort Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/5/21)