Quick: Spent over the cap.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($109.14 million cap): Up to $35.0 million in cap space, none with cap holds/player options for Anthony Davis and others.
Roster Count: Five guaranteed, four player options, one partially-guaranteed, one two-way
PG: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (PO), Avery Bradley (PO), Rajon Rondo (PO), Quinn Cook
SG: Danny Green, Alex Caruso, Talen Horton-Tucker
SF: LeBron James
PF: Kyle Kuzma, Devontae Cacok (two-way)
C: JaVale McGee (PO)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
Reportedly trading Danny Green for Dennis Schroder.
- Mid-Level Exception — $9,258,000
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
2020 NBA Draft: 28th ($1,964,760 cap hold — reportedly traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder); 58th to the Philadelphia 76ers (Talen Horton Tucker, James Ennis)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Chinemelu Elonu (2009-59th), Brad Newley (2007-54th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Quinn Cook $3,000,000 ($1,000,000 guaranteed) — 11/19/20
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Anthony Davis ($32,742,000), Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (PO, $15,369,636)
- Early Bird: JaVale McGee (PO, $5,200,000), Rajon Rondo (PO, $1,620,564), Kostas Antetokounmpo (RFA**, $898,310)
- Non-Bird: Markieff Morris ($1,620,564), Dwight Howard ($1,620,564), Jared Dudley ($1,620,564), Dion Waiters ($1,620,564)
- None: J.R. Smith (substitute)
** Restricted, pending qualifying offer.
- Kostas Antetokounmpo — $1,620,564 ($81,955 guaranteed)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Kyle Kuzma
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
- LeBron James — 15 percent
- Kentavious Caldwell-Pope — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
G-League Affiliate: South Bay Lakers (Nick Mazzella general manager, Coby Karl coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Devontae Cacok
Head Coach: Frank Vogel
Assistants: Jason Kidd, Lionel Hollins, Phil Handy, Miles Simon, Mike Penberthy, Quinton Crawford, Greg St. John (player development/advance scout), Dru Anthrop (head video coordinator/player development), Jon Pastorek (assistant video coordinator/player development)
Trainer: Nina Hsieh, Jennifer Swanson (head physical therapist), Judy Seto (director of sports performance), Gunnar Peterson (director of strength and endurance training), Josh Wright (assistant strength and conditioning coach), Kristen Andrews (manager of nutrition and wellness), Adi Vase (assistant strengthening and conditioning coach)
- Rob Pelinka — vice president, basketball operations and general manager
- Kurt Rambis — senior basketball advisor
- Jesse Buss — assistant general manager/director of scouting
- Joey Buss — vice president of research and development
- 2021 — Owe a first-rounder (only conveys 1-7, unprotected in 2022) to the New Orleans Pelicans (Anthony Davis).
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to the Detroit Pistons (Svi Mykhailiuk).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder to the Washington Wizards (Anthony Davis), may convey to the Chicago Bulls or Memphis Grizzlies.
- 2023 — The New Orleans Pelicans can swap first-rounders (Anthony Davis).
- 2024 — Owe a first-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Anthony Davis). The Pelicans can delay the pick until 2025.
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $1 million to the New Orleans Pelicans (Anthony Davis) — $4,617,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 11/18/20 — NBA Draft.
- 11/19/20 — Player options on JaVale McGee, Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.
- 11/19/20 — Quinn Cook’s $3 million guarantees for 2020-21.
- 11/19/20 — Qualifying offer deadline for Kostas Antetokounmpo.
- 12/1/20 — First day of training camp.
- 11/20/20 — Free agent negotiations begin at 6:00 p.m. ET.
- 11/21/20 — NBA moratorium.
- 11/22/20 — Free agent signings begin at 12:01 p.m. ET.
- 11/27/20 — Deadline to withdraw qualifying offer to Kostas Antetokounmpo.
- 12/1/20 — First day of training camp.
- 12/9/20 — Deadline to stretch a player on the 2020-21 books.
- 12/21/20 — Extension deadline for Kyle Kuzma.
- 12/22/20 — First day of the 2021-22 season.
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Kyle Kuzma and Talen Horton-Tucker.
- 7/31/21 — Player option on LeBron James.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Final day of 2021-22 moratorium.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
Kentavious Caldwell Pope Incentives: $350,000 for 4.0 rebounds per game; $300,000 for 1.85 assists per game; $300,000 for 1.2 steals per game; $163,392 for all-NBA first or second defensive team; $50,000 if team advances to conference finals
- 11/16/20 — Anthony Davis opted out of his contract.
- TBD — Reportedly agreed to trade Danny Green and 2020-28th to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Dennis Schroder.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Staples Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 11/18/20)