Quick: Over the cap. Hard-capped by the Wesley Matthews contract via the bi-annual exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Over the cap.
NBA Draft: No. 22; No 52 to the Detroit Pistons (Svi Mykhailiuk, Christian Wood, KJ Martin, Delon Wright)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Chinemelu Elonu (2009-59th), Brad Newley (2007-54th)
Roster Count: Five guaranteed, one team option, one non-guaranteed
PG: LeBron James
SG: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
SF: Kyle Kuzma, Alfonzo McKinnie
PF: Anthony Davis
C: Marc Gasol, Montrezl Harrell (PO)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (JaVale McGee, expiring 8/78/21) — $674,408
- Projected Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $9,536,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Alfonzo McKinnie $1,910,860 — 1/7/22
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
- Montrezl Harrell $9,720,900 (player)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Dennis Schroder ($24 million), Alex Caruso ($5,225,000)
- Early Bird: Talen Horton-Tucker (RFA, $1,897,476), Kostas Antetokounmpo (two-way, RFA, $1,729,217), Markieff Morris ($1,669,178), Jared Dudley ($1,669,178), Devontae Cacok (two-way, RFA, $1,669,178)
- Non-Bird: Montrezl Harrell ($11,109,600 on opt out), Wesley Matthews ($4,347,600), Andre Drummond ($1,669,178), Ben McLemore ($1,669,178), Dion Waiters*** ($1,669,178)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
- Talen Horton Tucker $1,897,476
- Kostas Antetokounmpo $1,729,217 ($84,414 guaranteed)
- Devonte Cacok $1,669,178 ($84,414 guaranteed)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Collin Sexton
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: South Bay Lakers (Nick Mazzella general manager, Coby Karl coach)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service. TBD for 2021-22.
Governor: Jeanie Buss
- Rob Pelinka — vice president, basketball operations and general manager
- Joey Buss — vice president, research & development
- Jesse Buss — assistant general manager/director of scouting
- Kurt Rambis — director of basketball affairs
- Nick Mazzella — senior director of pro personnel
- Philip Chang — senior manager of basketball analytics
- Sam Usher — manager, basketball operations
- Marshall Rader — manager, salary cap strategy
- Irving Thomas — head scout
- Bill Bertka — special assistant to the general manager/basketball consultant
Head Coach: Frank Vogel
Assistants: Lionel Hollins, Phil Handy, Miles Simon, Mike Penberthy, Quinton Crawford, Dru Anthrop
Trainer: Judy Seto (director of sports performance), Nina Hsieh (head athletic trainer), Chattin Hill (head strength & conditioning coach)
- 2022– Owe a first-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Anthony Davis).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder to the Washington Wizards (Anthony Davis), may convey to the Chicago Bulls or Memphis Grizzlies.
- 2023 — The New Orleans Pelicans can swap first-rounders (Anthony Davis).
- 2024 — Owe a first-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Anthony Davis). The Pelicans can delay the pick until 2025.
- 2026 — Owe a second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (JaVale McGee).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Kyle Kuzma and Talen Horton-Tucker.
- 7/31/21 — Player option on Montrezl Harrell.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/2/21 — Kyle Kuzma’s poison pill expires.
- 8/7/21 – JaVale McGee trade exception expires.
- 8/6/21 — Final day of 2021-22 moratorium.
- 1/7/22 — Alfonzo McKinnie’s $1,910,860 guarantees for 2021-22 if not waived by 5:00 PM Eastern.
- 6/28/22 — Kentavious Caldwell-Pope’s $14,004,703 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 1/7/23 — Alfonzo McKinnie’s $2,165,298 guarantees for 2022-23 if not waived by 5:00 PM Eastern.
- 6/29/23 — Kyle Kuzma’s player option.
- 6/29/24 — Anthony Davis early termination option.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- LeBron James — 15 percent
- Anthony Davis — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
- Kyle Kuzma $10,640,545 (expiring 8/2/21)
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Staples Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 7/2/21)