Quick: Over the cap, hard-capped by the Jake Layman sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($115 million cap): Up to $26.0 million, none if James Johnson opts in.
Roster Count: Seven guaranteed, one player option, three non/partially-guaranteed
PG: D’Angelo Russell
SG: Jarrett Culver, Jaylen Nowell, Jacob Evans
SF: Josh Okogie, Jarred Vanderbilt
PF: James Johnson (PO), Jake Layman, Omari Spellman
C: Karl-Anthony Towns, Naz Reid
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Treveon Graham, expiring 1/16/21) — $228,505
- Trade Exception (Jeff Teague, expiring 1/16/21) — $500,000
- Trade Exception (Gorgui Dieng, expiring 2/6/21) — $879,813
- Estimated Mid-Level Exception — $9,755,000
- Estimated Bi-Annual Exception — $3,818,000
2020 NBA Draft*: 3rd ($8,260,920 cap hold), 16th from the Brooklyn Nets (Clint Capela), 33rd
* Lottery/Standings TBD
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Paulao Prestes (2010-45th), Henk Norel (2009-47th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Jarred Vanderbilt $1,663,861 — 7/15/20 (revised date TBD)
- Jaylen Nowell $1,517,981 – 1/10/21 (revised date TBD)
- Naz Reid $1,517,981 – 1/10/21 (revised date TBD)
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds**)
- Full Bird: Evan Turner ($27,909,834), James Johnson (PO, $23,024,100), Juancho Hernangomez (RFA, $9,963,090), Malik Beasley (RFA, $8,195,142)
- Non-Bird: Aaron Brooks* ($1,707,576), Jordan McLaughlin (RFA), Kelan Martin (RFA)
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
** Estimated, pending the 2020-21 salary-cap figure.
Qualifying Offers (Pending)
- Jauncho Hernangomez — $4,642,800
- Malik Beasley — $3,895,424
- Jordan McLaughlin (two-way, $50,000 guaranteed)
- Kelan Martin (two-way, $50,000 guaranteed)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Iowa Wolves (general manager Gianluca Pascucci, coach Sam Newman-Beck)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Head Coach: Ryan Saunders
Assistants: Ed Pinckney, Pablo Prigioni, Ed Pinckney, Jerry Sichting, Kevin Hanson (assistant coach/director of player development), Jeff Newton (offensive associate/player development coach), Max Lefevre (video coordinator/player development associate), Greg Stiemsma (player development associate), Kwadzo Ahelegbe (associate video coordinator/player development coach), Cole Fisher (basketball operations and coaching analyst)
Trainer: Gregg Farnam, Matthew Duhamel (director of athletic therapy), Pierre Nesbit (assistant athletic trainer), Troy Sutton (assistant strength and conditioning coach)
- Gersson Rosas — president of basketball operations
- Sachin Gupta — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Scott Layden – general manager
- Noah Croom — assistant general manager
- Joe Branch — assistant general manager
- Gianluca Pascucci — assistant general manager
- Manny Rohan — assistant general manager
- Brian Pauga — director of player personnel
- Todd Checovich — manager of basketball operations
- Calvin Booth — director of pro personnel
- Daisuke Yoshimoto — special assistant to the president of basketball operations
- 2020 — Owed first-rounder (lottery protected through 2022, otherwise converts to 2022 and 2024 second-rounders) from the Brooklyn Nets (Allen Crabbe, Clint Capela).
- 2021 — Owe first-rounder (top-three protected, unprotected in 2022) to the Golden State Warriors (D’Angelo Russell).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to the Golden State Warriors (D’Angelo Russell).
- 2022 — Owed the higher second-rounder from the Philadelphia 76ers or the Denver Nuggets (Wilson Chandler, Jimmy Butler).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $3.6 million from the Golden State Warriors (Treveon Graham\Shabazz Napier) — $2,017,000 remaining
- 7/15/20 — Jarred Vanderbilt’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21 (revised date TBD).
- 10/16/20 — NBA Draft.
- 10/17/20 — Player option for James Johnson.
- 10/17/20 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Juancho Hernangomez and Malik Beasley.
- 10/19/20-10/23/20 — NBA Moratorium.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Josh Okogie, Jarrett Culver, Jacob Evans and Omari Spellman (revised date TBD).
- 1/10/21 — Jaylen Nowell and Naz Reid’s $1,517,981 guarantee for 2020-21 (revised date TBD).
- 1/16/21 — Treveon Graham and Jeff Teague trade exceptions expire.
- 2/6/21 — Gorgui Dieng trade exception expires.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Jarred Vanderbilt.
- 7/20/21 — Naz Reid’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- Before the first day of the 2021-22 season — Extension deadlines on Josh Okogie, Omari Spellman and Jacob Evans.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Jarrett Culver.
- 1/10/22 — Jaylen Nowell’s $1,782621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Team options on Naz Reid and Jaylen Nowell.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Josh Okogie, Omari Spellman and Jacob Evans.
- 7/20/22 — Naz Reid’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline on Jarrett Culver.
- 1/10/23 — Jaylen Nowell’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/30/23 — Qualifying offer deadline on Jarrett Culver.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
- Karl-Anthony Towns — 5 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Target Center
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 7/1/20)