Quick: Over the cap.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): TBD
Roster Count: 10 guaranteed, one non-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: D’Angelo Russell, Patrick Beverley, McKinley Wright (two-way)
SG: Malik Beasley, Jaylen Nowell
SF: Anthony Edwards, Josh Okogie
PF: Taurean Prince, Jaden McDaniels, Jake Layman, Nathan Knight (two-way)
C: Karl-Anthony Towns, Naz Reid
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Ricky Rubio, expiring 6/30/22) — $4,750,000
- Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $9,536,000
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Naz Reid $1,782,621 — 8/18/21
- Jaylen Nowell $1,782,621 — 1/7/22
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Evan Turner*** ($27,909,834), Jarred Vanderbilt ($2,079,826)
- Early Bird: Ed Davis ($6,506,955), Jordan McLaughlin (two-way, RFA)
- Non-Bird: Aaron Brooks*** ($1,669,178)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
- Jarred Vanderbilt $2,079,826 (issued)
- Jordan McLaughlin $1,669,178 ($84,414 guaranteed, issued)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Josh Okogie
- Anthony Edwards (third-year)
- Jaden McDaniels (third-year)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: Ricky Rubio, Jarrett Culver, Juancho Hernangomez
G-League Affiliate: Iowa Wolves (general manager Gianluca Pascucci, coach Sam Newman-Beck)
Two-Way Contracts: Nathan Knight, McKinley Wright
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service. TBD for 2021-22.
Governor: Glen Taylor
- Gersson Rosas — president of basketball operations
- Sachin Gupta — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Joe Branch — assistant general manager
- Gianluca Pascucci — assistant general manager
- Manny Rohan — assistant general manager
- Dr. Robby Sikka — vice president of basketball operations and player wellness
Head Coach: Chris Finch
Assistants: Joseph Blair, Micah Nori, Pablo Prigioni
Trainer: Javair Gillet (vice president of sports science and performance), Gregg Farnam (vice president of player health/head athletic trainer), Bill Burgos (head strength and conditioning coach)
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Washington Wizards (Sam Dekker, Ricky Rubio).
- 2022 — Owed the higher second-rounder from the Philadelphia 76ers or the Denver Nuggets (Wilson Chandler, Jimmy Butler).
- 2024 — Owe a second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Ricky Rubio).
- 2026 — Owe a second-rounder to the New York Knicks (Ed Davis).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $0
- 10/1/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Patrick Beverley.
- 10/18/21 — Extension deadline on Josh Okogie.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Jaden McDaniels and Anthony Edwards.
- 1/10/22 — Jaylen Nowell’s $1,782621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Team options on Naz Reid and Jaylen Nowell.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline on Josh Okogie.
- 6/30/22 — Ricky Rubio trade exception expires.
- 7/20/22 — Naz Reid’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Anthony Edwards and Jaden McDaniels.
- 1/10/23 — Jaylen Nowell’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/23 — Team option on Malik Beasley.
- Before the first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadlines on Anthony Edwards and Jaden McDaniels.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Anthony Edwards and Jaden McDaniels.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 6/22/21 — Received the No. 7 pick in the NBA Draft Lottery (will convey to the Golden State Warriors, D’Angelo Russell).
- 7/31/21 — Issued qualifying offers to Jordan McLaughlin and Jarred Vanderbilt.
- 8/2/21 — Traded Ricky Rubio (generating a $4,750,000 trade exception) to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Taurean Prince, a Washington Wizards 2022 second-rounder and $2.5 million.
- 8/4/21 — Signed Nathan Knight to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/5/21 — Signed McKinley Wright to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/18/21 — Naz Reid’s $1,782,621 guaranteed for 2021-22.
- 8/25/21 — Traded Jarrett Culver and Juancho Hernangomez to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Patrick Beverley.
- Karl-Anthony Towns — 5 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: Leandro Bolmaro (2020-23rd)
- Second-rounders: Paulao Prestes (2010-45th), Henk Norel (2009-47th)
Arena: Target Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/28/21)
NBA Team Salaries
- Free WNBA Playoffs Picks: Second Playoff Round – predictions and odds
- Former professional gambler Haralabos Volugaris is fired by Mavericks
- Daily Free ABA League Picks: 2021 Igokea vs. Borac – odds and free picks
- Dwight Howard practiced singing and dancing for The Masked Singer
- Free ABA League Expert Picks: 2021 Crvena Zvezda vs. Split – free picks