Quick: Over the cap, hard-capped by the Jake Layman sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($109.14 million cap): Up to $19.1 million, none if James Johnson opts in.
Roster Count: Seven guaranteed, one player option, three non/partially-guaranteed
PG: D’Angelo Russell
SG: Jarrett Culver, Jaylen Nowell, Jacob Evans
SF: Josh Okogie, Jarred Vanderbilt
PF: James Johnson (PO), Jake Layman, Omari Spellman
C: Karl-Anthony Towns, Naz Reid
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Treveon Graham, expiring 1/16/21) — $228,505
- Trade Exception (Jeff Teague, expiring 1/16/21) — $500,000
- Trade Exception (Gorgui Dieng, expiring 2/6/21) — $879,813
- Mid-Level Exception — $9,258,000
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
2020 NBA Draft: 1st ($9,757,440 cap hold), 17th ($2,964,840 cap hold) from the Brooklyn Nets (Clint Capela), 33rd
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Paulao Prestes (2010-45th), Henk Norel (2009-47th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Jarred Vanderbilt $1,663,861 — 11/28/20
- Jaylen Nowell $1,517,981 – 2/24/21
- Naz Reid $1,517,981 — 2/24/21
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Evan Turner ($27,909,834), James Johnson (PO, $23,024,100), Juancho Hernangomez (RFA**, $9,963,090), Malik Beasley (RFA**, $8,195,142)
- Non-Bird: Aaron Brooks*** ($1,620,564, Jordan McLaughlin (RFA**, $1,445,697), Kelan Martin (RFA**, $1,445,697)
** Restricted, pending qualifying offer.
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
Qualifying Offers (Pending)
- Jauncho Hernangomez — $4,642,800
- Malik Beasley — $3,895,424
- Jordan McLaughlin — one-year two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed)
- Kelan Martin — one-year two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed)
- Jarrett Culver
- Josh Okogie
- Jacob Evans
- Omari Spellman
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
- Karl-Anthony Towns — 5 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
G-League Affiliate: Iowa Wolves (general manager Gianluca Pascucci, coach Sam Newman-Beck)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Head Coach: Ryan Saunders
Assistants: David Vanterpool (associate head coach), Pablo Prigioni, Kevin Burleson, Bryan Gates, Kevin Hanson
Trainer: Gregg Farnam
- Gersson Rosas — president of basketball operations
- Sachin Gupta — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Scott Layden – general manager
- Noah Croom — assistant general manager
- Joe Branch — assistant general manager
- Gianluca Pascucci — assistant general manager
- Manny Rohan — assistant general manager
- 2021 — Owe first-rounder (top-three protected, unprotected in 2022) to the Golden State Warriors (D’Angelo Russell).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to the Golden State Warriors (D’Angelo Russell).
- 2022 — Owed the higher second-rounder from the Philadelphia 76ers or the Denver Nuggets (Wilson Chandler, Jimmy Butler).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $3.6 million from the Golden State Warriors (Treveon Graham\Shabazz Napier) — $2,017,000 remaining
- 11/18/20 — NBA Draft.
- 11/19/20 — Player option for James Johnson.
- 11/19/20 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Juancho Hernangomez, Malik Beasley, Jordan McLaughlin and Kelan Martin.
- 11/20/20 — Free agent negotiations begin at 6:00 p.m. ET.
- 11/21/20 — NBA moratorium.
- 11/22/20 — Free agent signings begin at 12:01 p.m. ET.
- 11/27/20 — Deadline to withdraw qualifying offers to Juancho Hernangomez, Malik Beasley, Jordan McLaughlin and Kelan Martin.
- 11/28/20 — Jarred Vanderbilt’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21
- 12/22/20 — First day of the 2021-22 season.
- 12/29/20 — Team options on Josh Okogie, Jarrett Culver, Jacob Evans and Omari Spellman.
- 1/16/21 — Treveon Graham and Jeff Teague trade exceptions expire.
- 2/6/21 — Gorgui Dieng trade exception expires.
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 2/24/21– Jaylen Nowell and Naz Reid’s $1,517,981 guarantee for 2020-21
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Jarred Vanderbilt.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- TBD — Naz Reid’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22. (was 7/20/21, projected to be 8/21/2021).
- Before the first day of the 2021-22 season — Extension deadlines on Josh Okogie, Omari Spellman and Jacob Evans.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Jarrett Culver.
- 1/10/22 — Jaylen Nowell’s $1,782621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Team options on Naz Reid and Jaylen Nowell.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Josh Okogie, Omari Spellman and Jacob Evans.
- 7/20/22 — Naz Reid’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline on Jarrett Culver.
- 1/10/23 — Jaylen Nowell’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/30/23 — Qualifying offer deadline on Jarrett Culver.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Target Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 11/18/20)