Caitlin Clark only player in NCAA Tournament history with back-to-back 40-point games
Iowa guard Caitlin Clark became the first player in NCAA Tournament history in either men’s or women’s college basketball to record back-to-back 40-point games. In Friday night’s 77-73 upset win over No. 1 South Carolina in the Final Four, the junior guard logged 41 points, six rebounds, eight assists, and one steal in 39 minutes.
The Iowa native also finished 15-of-31 (48.4%) shooting from the field and 5-of-17 (29.4%) beyond the arc. During the Elite Eight, in the Hawkeyes’ 97-83 victory against No. 5 Louisville this past Sunday, the 6-foot-1 guard tallied 41 points, 10 boards, 12 assists, and three steals in 39 minutes of action.
Per multiple NCAA Women’s Tournament betting sites, No. 2 Iowa is a 2.5-point favorite over No. 3 LSU for the national championship game on Sunday, April 2. Sportsbooks are favoring the Hawkeyes after witnessing them upset the undefeated reigning champs.
Caitlin Clark in the 2023 NCAA Tournament:
– 161 points, 2nd-most all-time
– 52 assists, most all-time
– 24 3-pointers, tied for most all-time
She still has one game left. pic.twitter.com/dh0wyYXPFR
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) April 1, 2023
“We had nothing to lose. I have all the confidence in the world in this group, and they believe right back in me, and that’s all you need,” said Caitlin Clark. “All we do is believe in one another and we love each other to death, and that’s what a true team is. If you want an example of a team, that’s what this is.”
Through five games of the NCAA Tournament, Clark ranks second on the all-time list in points (161), ranks No. 1 in assists (52), and is tied for the most 3-pointers (24). Led by the AP Player of the Year, this win snapped the Gamecocks’ 42-game win streak. It was South Carolina’s first loss since the SEC Tournament Championship against Kentucky in 2022.
Iowa guard Caitlin Clark becomes first player in NCAA Tournament history to record back-to-back 40-point games
Additionally, there have been six games in which a player has scored or assisted on 48 or more points: Alissa Pili in the Round of 64 and Clark in all five NCAA Tournament games this season. Not to mention, Clark scored or assisted on all 18 of Iowa’s points in the fourth quarter.
As stated above, Caitlin Clark has 161 points and 52 assists in this NCAA Tournament. Since 2000, it’s only one of six instances of a player having 150 points and 50 assists in any five-game span. Of course, all six occurrences belong to the two-time Big Ten Player of the Year.
Clark has recorded 82 points and 20 assists over her last two games. It’s the only instance of a player averaging 40 points per game and 10 assists per game in any two-game span in men’s or women’s NCAA Tournament history.
✅ BACK-TO-BACK 40-POINT GAMES
✅ MOST POINTS IN NATIONAL SEMIFINAL HISTORY
✅ LEAD IOWA TO FIRST TITLE GAME EVER
Caitlin Clark is special. pic.twitter.com/39nCG2OCOf
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) April 1, 2023
“I love me some Caitlin Clark,” said Iowa coach Lisa Bluder. “We’ve been talking about being mission-focused a lot this year, and we had a game plan and these guys executed so well. That is South Carolina we just beat, folks. Amazing.”
This was Iowa’s first NCAA Women’s Final Four appearance in 30 years. Their previous Final Four appearance was in 1993 under coach C. Vivian Stringer. Iowa went on to lose 73-72 in overtime against Ohio State in Atlanta, Georgia.
Furthermore, Caitlin Clark became the sixth player to score over 1,000 points in a season. She joined former Iowa star Megan Gustafson, breaking her school mark of 1,001.
Check Out More of Our March Madness College Gambling 2023 Guides
- Best March Madness Betting Websites – Discover Top March Madness Sport Gambling Sites Reviewed.
- Best March Madness Betting Odds – In-depth Guide to the Latest March Madness Betting Odds and Lines.
- How to Gamble on March Madness – Learn all You Need to Bet on NCAA March Madness 2023.
- March Madness Picks and Predictions 2023 – Find out the Best NCAA March Madness Betting Tips.
- March Madness Bracket Predictions 2023 – NCAA March Madness Bracket Betting Guide.
- Best College Basketball Betting Sites 2023 – Discover Top NCAAB Betting Sites Ranked.
- First Round March Madness – Discover Best 1st Round March Madness Betting Tips in 2023.
- Second Round March Madness – Discover Best 2nd Round March Madness Betting Tips in 2023.
- March Madness Sweet 16 Gambling – Compare The Best March Madness Sweet Sixteen Betting Sites in 2023.
- March Madness Elite 8 Online Gambling – Discover The Best Sportsbooks for Elite 8 March Madness Betting in 2023.
- March Madness Final Four Gambling – Discover The Best Sportsbooks for Final 4 March Madness Gambling in 2023.
- March Madness National Championship Winner – Compare best March Madness National Champion Odds and Picks.
- March Madness Free Bets – Discover Best Top NCAAB Betting Bonuses in 2023.
- March Madness Results 2023 – NCAA Results & Scores Betting Guide.
- March Madness Schedule 2023 – Discover All March Madness Game Times & Dates.
- Memphis Basketball Recruiting: Can Penny Hardaway Land Carmelo Anthony’s Son, Kiyan Anthony?
- Heat have a flight scheduled to Denver after Game 7 against Celtics
- USA Basketball: Loaded U16 Roster Prepares For FIBA 2023 in Mexico
- Suns Sit Idle as Bucks, 76ers Name New Head Coaches
- 76ers Name Former Raptors Head Man Nick Nurse as Their Next Head Coach
Main Page 6 days ago
Michael Jordan Buys $3.5 Million Custom Venom F5 Roadster, 300 MPH Sports Car
College Basketball 5 days ago
Bronny James Prom Date: Who is Girlfriend, Peyton Gelfuso?
NBA 2 weeks ago
Scoot Henderson wants to prove he can be the No. 1 pick in NBA Draft over Victor Wembanyama: ‘I want to build that fanbase in San Antonio’
College Basketball 2 weeks ago
Caleb Love Transfer Saga: Indiana Hoosiers Back in Pole Position After Michigan Exit