Memphis Basketball Coach Penny Hardaway Contract, Salary, Buyout, and Net Worth
Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway, a former NBA superstar, now dons a different hat as the head coach of the Memphis Tigers basketball team. Since taking the reins in 2018, Hardaway has focused on reviving the glory days of the 2000s when the Tigers were perennial NCAA Tournament contenders. In his tenure, he’s led the team to back-to-back March Madness appearances in 2022 and 2023 and an NIT title in 2020-21. This Memphis native is well on his way to turning the Tigers’ fortunes around. Here, we take a look at Penny Hardaway’s contract, salary, buyout, and net worth.
Penny Hardaway’s Contract
With this impressive track record, it’s no wonder Hardaway inked a six-year extension with Memphis in 2022. The terms of the deal, which were reported by Commercial Appeal, are worth $16.5 million over the six years, and keep him at the helm through the 2027-28 season.
For the 2022-23 season, Hardaway will earn $2.5 million, with annual increases of $100,000 throughout the life of the contract.
In addition to his base salary, Hardaway’s contract includes a slew of performance-based incentives:
- Conference championship or NCAA Tournament appearance: $50,000
- Conference Coach of the Year award: $50,000
- National Coach of the Year award: $75,000
- Tigers reaching the Sweet Sixteen: $75,000
- Tigers reaching the Elite Eight: $75,000
- Tigers reaching the Final Four: $150,000
- Tigers winning the national championship: $250,000
- Tigers achieving a four-year Academic Progress Rate of at least 975: $10,000
Additionally, should the Tigers manage to claw their way into the Elite Eight, Hardaway will receive a $500,000 bump in his annual salary.
Penny Hardaway’s Buyout
Hardaway’s buyout details are structured as follows:
- $2 million if he leaves for a head coaching or administrative position at another university within the first three years of the deal
- $1.5 million if he leaves during the fourth or fifth year
- $1 million if he leaves within the final year
However, if Hardaway accepts an NBA head coaching job, he won’t owe Memphis a buyout. Hardaway has expressed interest in coaching in the NBA at some point in his career and has already returned to Memphis after interviewing with the Orlando Magic. So this could be something to keep an eye on once head coaching vacancies appear at the professional level.
But with Memphis being so close to Hardaway’s heart as his alma mater, it may take a really good offer to lure him away.
Should Memphis terminate Hardaway’s contract without cause, they would owe him the full remaining amount, paid monthly. If Hardaway is hired in a comparable basketball position, the university would only owe the difference in salary.
Penny Hardaway’s Net Worth
With an estimated net worth of $50 million, Hardaway’s fortune is the result of a lucrative NBA career, where he signed contracts worth over $120 million throughout his playing days. Endorsements, business ventures, and investments have also contributed to his financial success.
As Penny Hardaway continues to rebuild the Memphis Tigers, he’s proving to be worth every penny. With a mix of coaching prowess and a keen sense for business, there’s no doubt that Hardaway is on track to further elevate the Tigers and his own net worth in the years to come.
Check Out More of Our March Madness College Gambling 2023 Guides
- Best March Madness Betting Websites – Discover Top March Madness Sports Gambling Sites Reviewed.
- Best March Madness Betting Odds – In-depth Guide to the Latest March Madness Betting Odds and Lines.
- How to Gamble on March Madness – Learn all You Need to Bet on NCAA March Madness 2023.
- March Madness Picks and Predictions 2023 – Find out the Best NCAA March Madness Betting Tips.
- March Madness Bracket Predictions 2023 – NCAA March Madness Bracket Betting Guide.
- Best College Basketball Betting Sites 2023 – Discover Top NCAAB Betting Sites Ranked.
- First Round March Madness – Discover Best 1st Round March Madness Betting Tips in 2023.
- Second Round March Madness – Discover Best 2nd Round March Madness Betting Tips in 2023.
- March Madness Sweet 16 Gambling – Compare The Best March Madness Sweet Sixteen Betting Sites in 2023.
- March Madness Elite 8 Online Gambling – Discover The Best Sportsbooks for Elite 8 March Madness Betting in 2023.
- March Madness Final Four Gambling – Discover The Best Sportsbooks for Final 4 March Madness Gambling in 2023.
- March Madness National Championship Winner – Compare best March Madness National Champion Odds and Picks.
- March Madness Free Bets – Discover Best Top NCAAB Betting Bonuses in 2023.
- March Madness Results 2023 – NCAA Results & Scores Betting Guide.
- March Madness Schedule 2023 – Discover All March Madness Game Times & Dates.
- Jimmy Butler says Heat are going to ‘get one at home’ in Game 4
- Who is LSU’s Angel Reese’s Mystery Man? Is it NBA YoungBoy, Shedeur Sanders, or Cam’Ron Fletcher?
- Paul George tells story that proves Steve Adams is a true basketball warrior: ‘He’s different’
- ESPN’s Brian Windhorst says Chris Paul’s future is with Lakers or Clippers
- NBA Rumors: A potential Lakers-Raptors trade would send Fred VanVleet to Los Angeles
Main Page 3 days ago
Magic star Jonathan Isaac to launch ‘Anti-Woke’ clothing brand UNITUS in August
Main Page 2 days ago
Highest-Paid NBA Mascots 2023: Denver Nuggets’ Rocky Earns $625K Salary
NBA 1 week ago
LA Lakers Believe Lonzo Ball’s Potential Career-Ending Injury Caused By Big Baller Brand Shoes
Headlines 2 weeks ago
Dallas Mavericks Not Interested in Pursuing D’Angelo Russell