This South Dakota sports betting guide is designed to provide information about the state’s sports betting market. In this guide, we provide a list of the best South Dakota sports betting sites, including an overview and list of pros and cons.
We also delve into the legalities of sports betting in the state and explore promotional offers and different betting markets available to South Dakota residents.
|75% Crypto Deposit Bonus up to $750||Get Offer|
|50% up to $1000 Welcome Bonus||Get Offer|
|$750 Welcome Bonus (3 x $250 Bonuses)||Get Offer|
|100% Deposit Bonus up to $1000||Get Offer|
|150% Match On The First Deposit Up To $300||Get Offer|
|150% up to $3,000||Get Offer|
|100% Up To $500 + $10 Casino Chip||Get Offer|
|100% Bonus up to $1000||Get Offer|
|50% Sports Welcome Bonus Up To $1000||Get Offer|
|50% First Time Deposit Match Up To $1000||Get Offer|
- 1 The Best South Dakota Sports Betting Sites List 2022
- 2 Best South Dakota Sportsbooks Reviewed
- 2.1 1. Bovada – Top-Rated South Dakota sports betting site in 2022
- 2.2 2. BetOnline – Great site for in-play betting
- 2.3 3. Everygame – Attractive Betting Odds for South Dakota Players
- 2.4 4. MyBookie – Excellent South Dakota Sportsbook for Betting in Bitcoin
- 2.5 5. BetUS – Free Tournaments, Cash Prizes and Mobile-friendly SD Sportsbook
- 2.6 6. XBet – Most Trusted Betting South Dakota Sportsbook for College Sports
- 3 More on gambling in South Dakota…
- 4 Discover Our Top Betting Guides
- 5 South Dakota Sportsbooks Comparison
- 6 Timeline: South Dakota Sports Betting Movements
- 7 Who Can Bet on Sports in South Dakota
- 8 How to Bet on Sports in South Dakota
- 9 Is Sports Betting Legal in South Dakota?
- 10 Sports Betting Guides State by State
- 11 Previous Sports Betting Bills in South Dakota
- 12 Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in South Dakota
- 13 Read Our Sportsbook Payment Guides
- 14 Payment Methods Available at South Dakota Sports Betting Sites
- 15 Bonuses Available at South Dakota Betting Sites
- 16 Grab The Best Promo Codes With Our Reviews
- 17 Popular Sports to Bet on in South Dakota
- 17.1 NFL Betting in South Dakota
- 17.2 NBA Betting in South Dakota
- 17.3 MLB Betting in South Dakota
- 17.4 NHL Betting in South Dakota
- 17.5 NCAAB Betting in South Dakota
- 17.6 NCAAF Betting in South Dakota
- 17.7 Golf Betting in South Dakota
- 17.8 Horse Racing Betting in South Dakota
- 17.9 DFS is Legal in South Dakota
- 18 Live Betting with South Dakota Sportsbooks
- 19 Learn More About Betting With BBI Guides
- 20 Bets that are Illegal in South Dakota
- 21 How South Dakota Sports Betting Stacks Up to Bordering States
- 22 Casino with Sports Betting in South Dakota
- 23 More on South Dakota Gambling
- 24 Best Online Betting Site in South Dakota
- 25 FAQs
The Best South Dakota Sports Betting Sites List 2022
Before we take a more detailed look at the top South Dakota sportsbooks, here’s a quick look at our list of the top 10 South Dakota sports betting sites:
- Bovada – Top-rated South Dakota sports betting site in 2022
- BetOnline – Great site for in-play betting
- Everygame – Attractive betting odds for South Dakota players
- MyBookie – Excellent site for betting in Bitcoin
- BetNow – Incredibly fast withdrawals usually offered
- BetUS – Free tournaments, cash prizes and mobile-friendly
- XBet – Trusted betting site for college sports
- BUSR – Best South Dakota Sports Betting Site for horse betting
- Jazz – Super site for parlay bets Best
- Sportsbetting.ag – Renowned for live betting on the NHL
Best South Dakota Sportsbooks Reviewed
1. Bovada – Top-Rated South Dakota sports betting site in 2022
Bovada is a respected and popular South Dakota sports betting site known for their extensive coverage of college basketball. Along with sports leagues like the MLB, NFL, and NBA, its other sports markets is one reason behind its success.
Another reason Bovada is ideal for online sports betting in South Dakota is its bonuses, all new players are eligible for a great welcome bonus. Also, the Bitcoin sports welcome bonus, which is even more lucrative, can be claimed by using the Bovada promo code INSIDERS. Bovada also has a great reputation for other promotions and contests.
Aside from its markets and promotions, one of the best qualities of this South Dakota sports betting site is its live streaming. With hundreds of monthly events, watching the event unfold is just a natural extension to the Bovada betting experience.
Moreover, with superior odds, flexible betting limits, cryptocurrency deposit and withdrawal options, and a high level of usability, Bovada is an excellent option for South Dakota online sports betting.
What we like:
- Generous selection of promotional offers
- Fast withdrawals
- Excellent market coverage
What we don’t:
- Does not offer e-wallet payment methods
2. BetOnline – Great site for in-play betting
With over 20 years experience as an established sportsbook, BetOnline is one of the best site for online sports betting in South Dakota. It has also continually ranked high amongst bettors who prefer betting in a licensed and regulated environment.
One of the compelling arguments in favor of BetOnline is its very generous welcome bonus. This offer is available for all new users from South Dakota who register, use BetOnline promo code INSIDERS, and make a deposit. Bear in mind, that the minimum odds for this offer are 2.0, but plenty of other promos are available for existing users.
Another feature of BetOnline favored by bettors is the diverse betting markets they offer. With football, baseball, basketball, golf, soccer, and tennis, there is something for everyone. Moreover, with esports and horse racing offering an equal number of betting markets, it is easy to understand why this bookie remains a favorite.
When depositing, BetOnline makes this easy as American Express, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and Bitcoin are accepted deposit methods. As the site is licensed and regulated, data encryption secures and protects your transactional activity.
What we like:
- Generous welcome bonus
- Excellent live betting options
- Superb selection of eSports markets
- Reputable and secure
What we don’t:
- PayPal transactions not accepted
3. Everygame – Attractive Betting Odds for South Dakota Players
Everygame is one of the major South Dakota sports betting sites that provides the most up-to-date football lines, especially during the NFL season. Everygame not only offers betting lines for all the major sports, but the sportsbook also has a one-of-a-kind parlay program that awards an additional $1,000 with no wagering requirement to bettors with the highest net profit from a single parlay wager over the previous month.
During the NBA and NFL seasons, they also provide excellent enhanced betting options at halftime. They have non-sports prop bets that lets players wager outside of the standard sportsbook offers, such as politics, the US Powerbowl, and the stock market.
You can also take a break from sports betting at one of the sportsbook’s two casinos, which each boast a comprehensive selection of slots and table games. One of the biggest draws to their site is their lucrative Wheel of Fortune game, which offers a daily prize of $1,000 in cash. There are plenty of other bonuses for poker, friend referrals, parlay drawings, and many more.
What we like:
- Low min. deposit
- Hands-on customer service
- Accepts a variety of currencies
- Features odds hunts
What we don’t:
- Limited welcome bonus
4. MyBookie – Excellent South Dakota Sportsbook for Betting in Bitcoin
MyBookie is a top contender for South Dakota bettors wanting to bet with a licensed offshore betting site. When it comes to South Dakota online sports betting, this site delivers betting markets such as baseball, football, and hockey.
More importantly, it offers access to hundreds of NBA, NHL, and MLB league events, horse racing, tennis, golf, soccer, and boxing. This, and their extensive live betting opportunities, is what makes MyBookie rank above the competition.
Another factor responsible for MyBookie’s status amongst bettors is its welcome bonus. After registering, they will match your first deposit with a 100% match deposit bonus of up to $1,000. The only catch is entering MyBookie promo code INSIDERS, depositing a minimum of $50, and wagering on events with min odds of 2.0.
In case you were wondering, MyBookie is cryptocurrency-friendly and is one of the best bitcoin betting sites, offers excellent odds and multiple odd formats. Even better, the bookie app for the perfect solution for iOS or Android bettors wanting to bet using their phones.
What we like:
- Excellent NBA, NHL and MLB coverage
- Generous deposit bonus
- Fast payouts
- 24/7 support services
What we don’t:
- Limited selection of eSports
- Does not offer live streaming
5. BetUS – Free Tournaments, Cash Prizes and Mobile-friendly SD Sportsbook
With over 25 years behind them, BetUS is one of America’s favorite sportsbooks and a logical solution for South Dakota sports betting. Featuring preseason, postseason, and live betting options, it isn’t difficult to imagine the possibilities this book delivers.
For one, they welcome their newest customers from South Dakota with a 125% match bonus up to $3,125. If you register using BetUS promo code and make a deposit, the bonus is good for casino betting and sports bets with 2.8 odds or better. However, this is just a sample of the good things to come as contests, and re-deposit promos are frequent.
We should point out, BetUS offers far more than just options for sports betting. The site also accepts wagers on horse racing and eSports. While the selection for eSports is limited, they still are offered, making BetUS one worth considering.
What we like:
- Impressive welcome bonus
- Excellent variety of existing player promos
- Generous sports market coverage
- Loyalty Club
What we don’t:
- Esports markets are limited
6. XBet – Most Trusted Betting South Dakota Sportsbook for College Sports
XBet is a top contender for anyone looking for a South Dakota online sports betting with a generous welcome bonus. At 100% up to $500, this bonus is suitable for betting on NHL futures, or any other for that matter, with odds of 2.0 or better.
While the $500 welcome bonus may not be as large as some SD friendly bookies, but it is a good starting point. In addition to the welcome bonus, bettors are eligible for a 7% horse rebate, regular reload bonuses, and other incentives.
The market coverage is one of the best for online sports betting in South Dakota. Along with the usual collection of NFL, NBA, and MLB coverage, XBet offers coverage for NCAA and WNBA events. Moreso, the site is Bitcoin-friendly, accepts various credit cards, and features fast payouts in a licensed and secure environment.
What we like:
- Superior selection of in-play events
- Weekly horse betting rebate
- Accepts Litecoin, Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash
- Fast payouts
What we don’t:
- Live streaming not available
More on gambling in South Dakota…
Learn about all types of online gambling in South Dakota in our expert guides below:
- South Dakota Real Money Online Casinos
- South Dakota Online Poker
- South Dakota Online Gambling
- South Dakota Betting Apps
- South Dakota Horse Racing
Discover Our Top Betting Guides
South Dakota Sportsbooks Comparison
|Sportsbook||Bonus||Promo Code||Available Markets||Live Streaming||Payment methods|
|BetOnline||bonus up to $1,000||BOL1000||Soccer, football, Baseball and more||No||American Express, Mastercard, Visa, Discover, Bitcoin, Ripple., Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash|
|MyBookie||100% match bonus up to $1,000||MYB100||Esports, football, basketball, and more||No||Visa, Mastercard, Bitcoin, BitcoinCash, Litecoin, Ethereum, Ripple|
|Bovada||Up to $1000||BVD1000||Tennis, Esports, baseball, basketball, and more||No||Visa, Mastercard, Zelle, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin|
|BetUS||125% match bonus up to $3,125 for sports and casino||JOIN125||Basketball, badminton, football and more||No||MasterCard, Visa, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin|
|XBet||100% match bonus up to $500||Not required||Baseball, cycling, eSports and more||No||American Express, Visa, Mastercard, Bitcoin|
|Everygame||50% deposit match up to $200||Insiders||NFL, baseball, ice hockey, tennis, and more||No||VISA, Mastercard, AmEx, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Skrill|
|Sportsbetting.ag||100% match bonus up to $1,000||SB1000||College basketball, motorsports, ice hockey, and more||No||American Express, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Bitcoin|
|BUSR||20% match bonus up to $500||NWELCOME20||Cricket, boxing, darts, and more||No||Mastercard, Visa, Bitcoin.|
|Jazz||$1000 Welcome Bonus||Yes|
Timeline: South Dakota Sports Betting Movements
After legalizing sports betting for retail settings in early 2021, South Dakota became the 25th state to have some form of online legal sports betting. Mobile sports betting legislation has still not passed today, but four casinos offer it.
Here is a brief timeline of where we stand as of April 2022.
- 2022: SJR 502 died in the House after the Senate’s approval. This would have brought mobile sports betting to South Dakota. The House suggested this should be something voted on by residents.
- September 9, 2021: Retail sports betting officially launches. Four casinos accept sports betting wagers, with BetMGM as the first major sportsbooks.
- August 2021: BetMGM comes to South Dakota and partners with Liv Hospitality.
- July 2021: Day South Dakota sports betting providers were allowed to submit applications to Deadwood casinos. Applications approved by the South Dakota Commission on Gaming are expected to be approved by the State legislature by August 2.
- May 2021: The South Dakota Commission on Gaming officially included sports betting to its list of legal forms of wagering in the city limits of Deadwood.
- March 2021: The House of Representatives passed SB 44 with a vote of 58-1. Immediately after, Governor Kristi Noem approved SB 44, allowing for retail sports betting in September 1, 2021.
- February 2021: The South Dakota House Committee rejects a motion that would have made mobile sports betting legal within the city limits of Deadwood.
- January 2021: The Senate State Affairs Committee was presented with Senate Bill 44, making sports betting legal in retail locations in Deadwood.
Who Can Bet on Sports in South Dakota
With retail sports betting is legal in South Dakota, but, you must be 21 years of age and travel to these retail sites.
However, if you wish to wager online, you can do so at offshore sportsbooks. You must be 18 years of age or older to bet on these sites.
How to Bet on Sports in South Dakota
1. Create an Account
After looking through the sportsbooks on our recommended list and deciding which South Dakota sportsbook to play at, the next thing to do is create an account. This process takes just a few minutes.
2. Visit the Promotions Page
After creating your account, head over to the Promotions page to see what offers are available to you. This can help influence your deposit. We also recommend checking out this page before deciding on which sportsbook to play at.
3. Deposit Funds
After completing the registration process and exploring the promotions, head to the deposit page. You will usually find a link to this in the upper right-hand corner of the home page after logging in. There will be numerous ways to deposit. Select your desired method and complete the process.
4. Start Making Bets
After loading your account with funds, find the sport and contest you wish to wager on. Your selection will populate in a betslip where you will complete the process.
Is Sports Betting Legal in South Dakota?
Yes, sports betting has been legal in South Dakota since March 2021 and officially launched in September 2021. However, it is only legal in retail settings and mobile wagering is still not legal.
Sports Betting Guides State by State
Previous Sports Betting Bills in South Dakota
With retail sports betting being legal, we will take a look at the most recent mobile sports betting bills.
- SJR502: After passing by just one vote in the Senate, this mobile sports betting bill—sponsored by Sen. Schoenfish, Crabtree, Heinert, and Rep. Mortenson, Davis, Pischke, and Reed—was denied in the House. Part of the reasoning involved the narrow Senate passage and the notion that mobile sports betting should be an issue the residents vote on.
Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in South Dakota
South Dakota does not have any state income tax.
Read Our Sportsbook Payment Guides
Payment Methods Available at South Dakota Sports Betting Sites
There are multiple ways to fund your offshore sportsbook account. Here, we will go over the top-three types you will most commonly find.
Crypto Betting Options
In addition to offering a plethora of different options, offshore sportsbooks also offer promos that you can utilize by using cryptocurrency.
- Bitcoin Cash
- Shiba Inu
eWallet Betting Options
Utilizing your existing balance or using it as a conduit for your bank account, you can fund your sportsbook account with the following eWallet methods.
Traditional Payment Methods at South Dakota Betting Sites
eWallets and crypto might not be for everyone, and that is OK. Offshore sportsbooks also offer traditional payment methods.
- Credit/Debit Cards
- ACH Transfer
- Online Banking
- Check my mail
- Wire Transfer
Bonuses Available at South Dakota Betting Sites
Most offshore sportsbooks will have a deposit bonus welcome offer, such as BetOnline. At BetOnline, you will receive a 50% match up to $1,000. The typical percentage match range is 50%-100%, and $1,000 is the most common bonus upside.
With this offer, you cannot withdraw bonus funds right away, however. At BetOnline, there are 10x wagering requirements. So, you will need to wager whatever bonus you receive 10x over in cash to access it as cash.
Acting as a lower-level deposit bonus available to all players, you can use this offer by visiting the promotions page and using the promo code required on the deposit page or by opting in.
With a risk-free bet, you will receive the wager back as a site credit should you suffer a loss. However, if you win, you will keep your winnings like a normal bet.
No Deposit Bonus
While $10 to $25 in bonus funds may not seem like a lot, with a no deposit bonus, you will receive it after simply creating an account and nothing more.
Grab The Best Promo Codes With Our Reviews
Popular Sports to Bet on in South Dakota
While some states may not have professional teams, those states will usually have some college teams to fall back on. However, in South Dakota, there aren’t even any notable college schools.
Regardless, there are many states nearby with professional and college teams. Thus, we will still cover the top sports to wager on in South Dakota.
NFL Betting in South Dakota
You can’t go wrong betting on the NFL at any of our recommended sportsbooks. The margin of difference in odds on moneylines, spreads, totals, props, and more are minimal.
NBA Betting in South Dakota
The NBA has the same bet types as the NFL, but BetOnline is the suggested offshore sportsbook to wager at. Not only will you receive excellent odds, but the odds for upcoming games drop faster here than at other sites.
MLB Betting in South Dakota
You will again find the same bet types, overall, as the NBA and NFL. However, we recommended Bovada as the top source of MLB betting as they bring the same perks to the table as BetOnline does for the NBA—great and timely odds.
NHL Betting in South Dakota
The NHL is one of the lesser bets on sports, but there is a market to take advantage of here, especially with bet types that you will be familiar with from MLB, NFL, and NBA.
MyBookie has great odds and drops the odds quickly, but there are fantastic lines of futures bets, too.
NCAAB Betting in South Dakota
BetOnline is, in general, a great basketball betting site, and that goes for college basketball, too. However, BetUS, which has Gary Payton as a brand ambassador, is a close second, especially when March Madness rolls around each year.
NCAAF Betting in South Dakota
College football offers a plethora of additional markets to wager on, such as futures on awards, the playoffs, national championship, and NFL Draft odds.
Golf Betting in South Dakota
With the main bets being outright winners, top-five, 10, 15, and 20 finishes, Bovada and BetOnline offer attractive odds across the board. However, they stand out toward the top of the pecking order, traditionally offering more lucrative lines for favored golfers.
Horse Racing Betting in South Dakota
Horse racing is legal in South Dakota, but there are no tracks. However, you can bet on races all around the globe at sites like BetOnline, Bovada, and BetUS. In addition to pari-mutuel wagering, betting on win, place, show, exacta, daily double, and picks 3-6 are the most common methods. You can utilize these wagers with pari-mutuel wagering, too.
DFS is Legal in South Dakota
Residents of South Dakota will be able to access daily fantasy sports. Two of the biggest DFS sites are DraftKings and FanDuel. On these sites, the goal is to take down large field contests and tournaments by building a lineup while staying under a salary cap.
Live Betting with South Dakota Sportsbooks
With live betting, you can wager on almost any sports contest as it progresses. However, be aware that the odds on these contests will shift rapidly as they reflect the live action. You will be able to participate in this type of betting at any of our recommended offshore sportsbooks, and there will be dedicated pages for it.
Learn More About Betting With BBI Guides
Bets that are Illegal in South Dakota
Besides mobile wagering not yet being legal, there are no individual bets that are illegal to make in South Dakota retail sportsbooks.
How South Dakota Sports Betting Stacks Up to Bordering States
Nestled toward the top of the United States, South Dakota is bordered by six states. Here, we will look at where they are in terms of sports betting legalization.
- North Dakota: Sports betting is legal at certain tribal casinos.
- Montana: Sports betting is legal online and at retail sites in Montana.
- Wyoming: Sports betting is legal in Wyoming.
- Nebraska: Sports betting is legal at select in-person facilities.
- Iowa: Iowa offers sports betting both in-person and online.
- Minnesota: Sports betting is not legal in Minnesota.
Casino with Sports Betting in South Dakota
There are seven different sites where you can wager on sports in person in South Dakota.
- Gold Dust Casino & Hotel
- Dakota Sioux Casino & Hotel
- Mustang Sally’s
- Dale’s Sportsbook Bar and Grill
- Cadillac Jack’s Gaming Resort in Deadwood
- Tin Lizzie Gaming Resort in Deadwood
- BetKota at Midnight Star
More on South Dakota Gambling
If you’re looking for other gambling opportunities at offshore betting sites, check out our links below for more information on ways to do so in South Dakota.
- Best online casinos in South Dakota
- Online gambling in South Dakota
- Horse racing in South Dakota
- Online poker in South Dakota
Best Online Betting Site in South Dakota
With over 20 years in the business and a $1,000 deposit match welcome bonus, we recommend BetOnline as the go-to site for offshore sports betting. However, we strongly encourage you to check out any of our recommendations to see which sportsbook fits your needs the best.
|50% up to $1000 Welcome Bonus||Get Offer|
Is online sports betting legal in South Dakota?
No, online sports betting in South Dakota is not illegal, nor illegal. Due to Federal laws that apply, South Dakota betters are able to wager at their discretion with offshore sportsbooks.
What is the legal gambling age in South Dakota?
To legally gamble in the state of South Dakota, you must be 21 years of age. However, this only applies to casinos as the legal age for betting on live horse racing is 18.
Who oversees South Dakota sports betting?
The South Dakota Commission oversees South Dakota sports betting on Gaming. They are responsible for the managing, setting of policies and policing of state gambling laws.
Is mobile sports betting available in South Dakota?
Yes, mobile sports betting in South Dakota is available in South Dakota with any of our recommended bookmakers.
Where can I place bets on sports in South Dakota?
Currently, sports betting in South Dakota is only allowed at state-licensed retail casinos and locations in the city of Deadwood, South Dakota.