Quick: Over the cap and over the luxury tax threshold.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Over the cap.
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Ben Simmons, Shake Milton, Tyrese Maxey
SG: Seth Curry, Matisse Thybulle, Terrance Ferguson, Isaiah Joe, Dakota Mathias (two-way)
SF: Danny Green, Furkan Korkmaz
PF: Tobias Harris, Mike Scott, Paul Reed Jr (two-way)
C: Joel Embiid, Dwight Howard, Vincent Poirier, Tony Bradley
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (James Ennis, expiring 3/22/21) — $1,882,867
- Trade Exception (Al Horford, expiring 8/24/21*) — $8,190,134
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $4,819,690 (Isaiah Joe)
* Exact date TBD
Waived Players: Norvel Pelle, Marial Shayok (two-way), Justin Robinson, Lamine Diane, Ryan Broekhoff, Derrick Walton Jr, Justin Anderson, Frank Mason
Traded Players: Josh Richardson, Zhaire Smith, Al Horford
G-League Affiliate: Delaware Blue Coats (Matt Lilly general manager, Connor Johnson coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Dakota Mathias, Paul Reed Jr
Governor: Josh Harris
- Daryl Morey — president of basketball operations
- Elton Brand — general manager
- Peter Dinwiddie — executive vice president, basketball operations
- Ned Cohen — assistant general manager
- Prosper Karangwa — vice president, player personnel
- Annelie Schmittel — vice president, player development
- Vince Rozman, vice president, scouting
Head Coach: Doc Rivers
Assistants: Dave Joerger, Sam Cassell, Dan Burke, Popeye Jones, Eric Hughes, Brian Adams, Todor Pandov
Trainers: Simon Rice (vice president, athlete care), Kevin Johnson (head athletic trainer), Ben Kenyon (head strength and conditioning coach)
- 2021 — The Houston Rockets can swap second-rounders (James Ennis).
- 2021 — Owed second-rounder from the New York Knicks (Willy Hernangomez).
- 2022 — The Philadelphia 76ers can swap second-rounders with the Denver Nuggets, the higher pick going to the Minnesota Timberwolves, the lower to the Nuggets (Wilson Chandler, Jimmy Butler),
- 2023 — Owed a the highest second-rounder from the Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Hornets and Brooklyn Nets (Bruno Fernando).
- 2024– Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Miami HEAT (Dwyane Wade, Kevin Porter Jr., Jordan Bone).
- 2025 — Owe first-rounder (top-6 protected in 2025, top-4 protected through 2027, otherwise converts to a 2027 second-rounder) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Al Horford).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): TBD to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Al Horford)
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 2/6/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Dwight Howard.
- 3/22/21 — James Ennis trade exception expires.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Vincent Poirier and Terrance Ferguson.
- 8/24/21 — Al Horford trade exception expires (exact date TBD).
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Matisse Thybulle and Tyrese Maxey.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Shake Milton.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Matisse Thybulle.
- Before the first game of the 2022-23 season — Isaiah Joe’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 10/31/22 — Team option on Tyrese Maxey.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Matisse Thybulle.
- Before the first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Matisse Thybulle.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Tyrese Maxey.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than 2/24/21.
- 8/24/20 — Fired coach Brett Brown.
- 10/1/20 — Hired coach Doc Rivers.
- 11/2/20 — Hired president of basketball operations Daryl Morey.
- 11/2/20 — Signed general manager Elton Brand to a contract extension.
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Tyrese Maxey (2020-21), Theo Maledon (2020-34), Tyler Bey (2020-36), Isaiah Joe (2020-49) and Paul Reed Jr (2020-58th).
- 11/19/20 — Traded Josh Richardson and the rights to Tyler Bey (2020-36) to the Dallas Mavericks for Seth Curry.
- 11/20/20 — Waived Norvel Pelle and Marial Shayok (two-way).
- 11/21/20 — Signed Dwight Howard to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 11/21/20 — Signed Justin Anderson to a partially-guaranteed two-year $4,012,890 minimum contract.
- 11/23/20 — Traded Zhaire Smith to the Detroit Pistons for Tony Bradley.
- 11/26/20 — Furkan Korkmaz’s $1,762,796 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/27/20 — Signed Isaiah Joe (2020-49th) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $4,198,912 contract.
- 11/27/20 — Signed Ryan Broekhoff to a non-guaranteed $1,620,564 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Derrick Walton Jr to a non-guaranteed $1,620,564 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Dakota Mathias to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Paul Reed Jr (2020-58th) to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/30/20 — Signed Lamine Diane to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/2/20 — Signed Tyrese Maxey (2020-21st) to a $12,242,469 rookie-scale contract.
- 12/6/20 — Signed Justin Robinson to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/7/20 — Waived Justin Robinson and Lamine Diane.
- 12/8/20 — Traded Al Horford, Theo Maledon (2020-34th), the rights to Vasilije Micic (2014-52nd), a protected 2025 first-rounder (top-6 protected in 2025, top-4 through 2027, otherwise converts to a 2027 second-rounder) and cash (TBD) to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Danny Green, Terrance Ferguson and Vincent Poirier.
- 12/14/20 — Waived Ryan Broekhoff and Derrick Walton Jr.
- 12/18/20 — Signed Frank Mason to a non-guaranteed $1,678,854 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/19/20 — Waived Justin Anderson and Frank Mason.
- 12/21/20 — Extension deadline on Terrence Ferguson elapsed.
- 12/28/20 — Picked up Matisse Thybulle’s third-year rookie-scale option.
- Tobias Harris — lower of five percent or $5 million
- Ben Simmons — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: Kyle O’Quinn ($1,620,564)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None.
- Second-rounders: Emir Preldzic (2009-57th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Arena: Wells Fargo Center Philadelphia
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/5/21)