Quick: Over the cap.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $50.6 million in cap space.
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Dejounte Murray, Patty Mills, Tre Jones
SG: Derrick White, Lonnie Walker, Devin Vassell, Quinndary Weatherspoon (two-way), DaQuan Jeffries
SF: Keldon Johnson, Rudy Gay, Keita Bates-Diop (two-way)
PF: DeMar DeRozan, Trey Lyles, Luka Samanic
C: Jakob Poeltl, Gorgui Dieng, Drew Eubanks
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Mid-Level Exception — $7,359,690 (Tre Jones, Gorgui Dieng)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Waived Players: Chimezie Metu, Kylor Kelley, Khyri Thomas, Tyler Zeller, Cameron Reynolds, London Perrantes, LaMarcus Aldridge, Marquese Chriss
Traded Players: None
Expired 10-Day Contracts: Cameron Reynolds
G-League Affiliate: Austin Spurs (general manager Tyler Self, coach Blake Ahearn)
Two-Way Contracts: Quinndary Weatherspoon, Keita Bates-Diop
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service.
Governor: Peter Holt
- RC Buford — chief executive officer
- Gregg Popovich — head coach and president of Spurs basketball
- Brian Wright — general manager
- Brent Barry — vice president of basketball operations
- Brandon James — vice president of basketball administration and deputy general counsel
- Adam Glessner — senior director of basketball intelligence
- Phil Cullen — director of basketball operations and innovation
- Dave Telep — director of player personnel
- George Felton — director of college player personnel
- Nick Repole — director of research and development
- Niraj Mulji — director of basketball strategy
Head Coach: Gregg Popovich
Assistants: Becky Hammon, Will Hardy, Mitch Johnson, Chip Engelland, Darius Songalia
Trainer: Wayne Diesel (director of player care), Marilyn Adams (director of rehabilitation), Xavi Schelling (director of sports science and athletic performance), Will Sevening (head athletic trainer), Anthony Falsone (coordinator of athletic performance)
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (Boris Diaw, Jordan Clarkson).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $1,850,000 from the Golden State Warriors (Marquese Chriss)
- 6/14/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on DaQuan Jeffries.
- 6/22/21 — NBA Draft Lottery.
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 7/31/21 — Team option deadline for DaQuan Jeffries.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for DaQuan Jeffries (if opted out).
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/2/21 — Derrick White’s poison pill expires.
- 8/20/21 — Drew Eubanks’ $1,762,796 guarantees for 2021-22 (14 days after the moratorium).
- First day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadline on Lonnie Walker.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Luka Samanic, Devin Vassell and Keldon Johnson.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Lonnie Walker and DaQuan Jeffries.
- 7/19/22 — Drew Eubanks’ $1,910,860 guarantees for 2022-23 (14 days after the moratorium).
- 8/1/22 — Tre Jones’ $1,782,621 guarantees at $500,000.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season – Tre Jones’ $1,782,621 guarantees for 2022-23.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadlines for Luka Samanic and Keldon Johnson.
- 10/31/22 — Team option on Devin Vassell.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Luka Samanic and Keldon Johnson.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadlines for Devin Vassell.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Devin Vassell.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 11/16/20 — DeMar DeRozan opted into the final year of his contract.
- 11/18/20 — Issued qualifying offers to Jakob Poeltl, Quinndary Weatherspoon and Drew Eubanks.
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Devin Vassell (2020-11th) and Tre Jones (2020-31st).
- 11/20/20 — Waived Chimezie Metu.
- 11/20/20 — Trey Lyles’ $5.5 million guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/23/20 — Re-signed Drew Eubanks to a partially-guaranteed three-year $5,294,220 contract.
- 11/24/20 — Re-signed Jakob Poeltl to a three-year $26,250,000 contract.
- 11/24/20 — Re-signed Quinndary Weatherspoon to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/27/20 — Signed Devin Vassell (2020-11th) to an $18,593,499 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/27/20 — Signed Tre Jones (2020-41st) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $4,198,912 contract.
- 11/29/20 — Signed Keita Bates-Diop to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/29/20 — Signed Cameron Reynolds to a non-guaranteed $1,620,564 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/10/20 — Signed Kylor Kelley to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/11/20 — Waived Kylor Kelley.
- 12/11/20 — Signed Khyri Thomas to a non-guaranteed $1,620,564 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/12/20 — Waived Khyri Thomas.
- 12/18/20 — Signed London Perrantes to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/19/20 — Waived Tyler Zeller, London Perrantes and Cameron Reynolds.
- 12/21/20 — Picked up the third-year rookie-scale options on Luka Samanic and Keldon Johnson.
- 12/21/20 — Picked up the fourth-year rookie-scale option on Lonnie Walker.
- 12/21/20 — Re-signed Derrick White to a four-year $73 million rookie-scale extension (incentives TBD).
- 3/25/21 — Traded the rights to Cady Lalanne (2015-55th) to the Golden State Warriors for Marquese Chriss and $1,850,000.
- 3/25/21 — Waived LaMarcus Aldridge.
- 3/26/21 — Signed Cameron Reynolds to a 10-day $110,998 contract.
- 3/28/21 — Waived Marquese Chriss.
- 3/29/21 — Signed Gorgui Dieng for the rest of the season to a $1 million contract.
- 4/5/21 — Cameron Reynolds’ 10-day contract expired.
- 5/15/21 — Claimed DaQuan Jeffries off waivers (Houston Rockets).
- Derrick White — $14,703,257 (expiring 8/2/21)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: None
- Early Bird: Marco Belinelli ($7,600,000)
- Non-Bird: Donatas Motiejunas*** ($1,620,5646), Dante Cunningham*** ($2,984,400), Quincy Pondexter*** ($1,620,564), Joffrey Lauvergne*** ($1,620,564), David Lee*** ($1,620,564), Matt Costello*** ($1,445,697), Darrun Hilliard*** ($1,445,697), Ben Moore*** ($1,445,697)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: Nikola Milutinov (2015-26th)
- Second-rounders: Adam Hanga (2011-59th), Giorgos Printezis (2007-58th), Erazem Lorbek (2005-46th), Viktor Sanikidze (2004-42nd), Sergei Karaulov (2004-58th), Robertas Javtokas (2001-55th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Arena: AT&T Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 5/18/21)