Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Derrick Favors contract via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Over the cap.
NBA Draft: No. 30; No. 60 to the Indiana Pacers (Jarrell Brantley)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Shan Foster (2008-51st), Mario Austin (2003-36th), Peter Fehse (2002-49th)
Roster Count: Nine guaranteed, two non-guaranteed
PG: Donovan Mitchell
SG: Jordan Clarkson, Matt Thomas, Miye Oni
SF: Bojan Bogdanovic, Elijah Hughes
PF: Royce O’Neale, Joe Ingles
C: Rudy Gobert, Derrick Favors, Udoka Azubuike
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Ed Davis, expiring 8/6/21) — $5,005,350
- Trade Exception (Tony Bradley, expiring 8/6/21) — $2,024,079
- Trade Exception (Rayjon Tucker, expiring 8/11/21) — $340,000
- Projected Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $9,536,000
- Projected Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Matt Thomas $1,782,621 — 8/3/21
- Miye Oni $1,782,621 — 1/7/22
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Mike Conley ($39,344,900), Georges Niang ($1,669,178)
- Early Bird: Juwan Morgan ($1,897,476)
- Non-Bird: Ersan Ilyasova ($1,669,178), Jarrell Brantley ($1,669,178, two-way, RFA), Emmanuel Mudiay*** ($1,669,178), Trent Forrest (two-way, RFA), Justin Wright-Foreman*** (two-way)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
- Juwan Morgan $1,897,476
- Jarrell Brantley $1,669,178 ($84,414 guaranteed)
- Trent Forrest (two-way with $50,000 guaranteed)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Udoka Azubuike (third-year)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Salt Lake City Stars (general manager Steve Brandes, Martin Schiller coach)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service.
Governor: Ryan Smith
- Justin Zanik — general manager
- David Morway — assistant general manager
- Richard Smith — executive director of basketball operations and global scouting
- Mike Wells — director of basketball operations
- Dennis Lindsey — advisor
Head Coach: Quin Snyder
Assistants: Alex Jensen, Dell Demps, Vince Legarza, Lamar Skeeter, Jeff Watkinson, Bryan Bailey, Keyon Dooling, Mike Wells, Sergi Oliva
Trainer: Mike Elliott (vice president of performance health care), Eric Waters (head athletic trainer), Barnett Frank (director of performance science)
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder (top-six protected in 2022, top-three protected in 2023, top-one in 2024 otherwise converts to 2025 and 2026 second-rounders) from the Memphis Grizzlies (Mike Conley).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Elijah Hughes).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder to the New York Knicks (Ed Davis).
- 2024 — Higher of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Jazz second-rounders to the New York Knicks, the lower to the Indiana Pacers (George Hill, Ed Davis, James Harden).
- 2027 — Owe a second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (Rayjon Tucker).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $110,000 from the New York Knicks (Ed Davis); $250,000 from the Detroit Pistons (Tony Bradley); $2 million from the Cleveland Cavaliers (Rayjon Tucker) — $3,257,000 remaining
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Juwan Morgan.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/3/21 — Matt Thomas’ $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 8/6/21 — Ed Davis and Tony Bradley trade exceptions expire.
- 8/11/21 — Rayjon Tucker trade exception expires.
- 10/12/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Rudy Gobert.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Udoka Azubuike.
- 1/10/22 — Miye Oni’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Matt Thomas, Elijah Hughes and Miye Oni.
- 6/29/22 — Derrick Favors’ player option.
- 10/31/22 — Team option on Udoka Azubuike.
- 6/29/23 — Jordan Clarkson’s player option.
- 7/10/23 — Royce O’Neale’s $9.5 million guarantees for 2023-24.
- Before the start of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline on Udoka Azubuike.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer on Udoka Azubuike.
- 6/29/2025 — Player options on Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 6/27/21 — Dennis Lindsey stepped down as executive vice president of basketball operations, transitioning to role as an advisor.
- Donovan Mitchell — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
- Donovan Mitchell — $27,932,634 (expiring 8/2/21)
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Vivint Smart Home Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 7/2/21)