Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Derrick Favors contract via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Over the cap.
Roster Count: 11 guaranteed, three non-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Mike Conley, Shaquille Harrison
SG: Donovan Mitchell, Jordan Clarkson, Miye Oni, Trent Forrest (two-way)
SF: Bojan Bogdanovic, Georges Niang, Elijah Hughes
PF: Royce O’Neale, Joe Ingles, Juwan Morgan, Jarrell Brantley
C: Rudy Gobert, Derrick Favors, Udoka Azubuike
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Ed Davis, expiring 8/7/21*) — $5,005,350
- Trade Exception (Tony Bradley, expiring 8/7/21*) — $3,542,060
- Trade Exception (Rayjon Tucker, expiring 8/12/21*) — $340,000
- Mid-Level Exception — $0 (Derrick Favors)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
* Exact date TBD
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Shaquille Harrison $1,678,854 — 2/24/21
- Miye Oni $1,517,981 — 2/24/21
- Juwan Morgan $1,517,981 — 2/24/21
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but no later than 2/24/21.
Waived Players: Nigel Williams-Goss, Jake Toolson, Trevon Bluiett, Tre Scott, Romaro Gill, Yogi Ferrell, Malcolm Miller
Traded Players: Ed Davis, Tony Bradley, Rayjon Tucker
G-League Affiliate: Salt Lake City Stars (general manager Steve Brandes, Martin Schiller coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Jarrell Brantley, Trent Forrest
Governor: Ryan Smith
- Dennis Lindsey — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Justin Zanik — general manager
- David Morway — assistant general manager
- David Fredman — director of pro personnel
- Richard Smith — executive director of basketball operations and global scouting
- Mike Wells — director of basketball operations
Head Coach: Quin Snyder
Assistants: Alex Jensen, Dell Demps, Vince Legarza, Lamar Skeeter, Jeff Watkinson, Bryan Bailey, Keyon Dooling, Mike Wells, Sergi Oliva
Trainer: Mike Elliott (vice president of performance health care), Eric Waters (head athletic trainer), Barnett Frank (director of performance science)
- 2021 — Owe a first-rounder (8-14 range, top-six protected in 2022, top-three protected in 2023, top-one in 2024 otherwise converts to 2025 and 2026 second-rounders) from the Memphis Grizzlies (Mike Conley).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to the Indiana Pacers (Jarrell Brantley).
- 2021 — Owed a second-rounder from the Golden State Warriors (Alen Smailagic, Derrick Favors).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Elijah Hughes).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder to the New York Knicks (Ed Davis).
- 2024 — Higher of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Jazz second-rounders to the New York Knicks, the lower to the Indiana Pacers (George Hill, Ed Davis, James Harden).
- 2027 — Owe a second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (Rayjon Tucker).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $3.5 million (Elijah Hughes) — $2,117,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): TBD from the New York Knicks (Ed Davis); TBD from the Detroit Pistons (Toy Bradley); TBD from the Cleveland Cavaliers (Rayjon Tucker)
- 2/6/21 — No-trade restrictions lifts on Shaquille Harrison, Derrick Favors and Jordan Clarkson.
- 2/23/21 — Ten-day contracts can be signed.
- 2/24/21 — Shaquille Harrison’s $1,678,854 guarantees for 2020-21.
- 2/24/21 — Juwan Morgan and Miye Oni’ $1,517,981 guarantee for 2020-21.
- 3/25/21 — Trade deadline.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Juwan Morgan.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/7/21 — Ed Davis and Tony Bradley trade exceptions expire (exact date TBD).
- 8/12/21 — Rayjon Tucker trade exception expires (exact date TBD).
- 10/12/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Rudy Gobert.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Udoka Azubuike.
- 1/10/22 — Miye Oni’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Elijah Hughes and Miye Oni.
- 6/29/22 — Derrick Favors’ player option.
- 10/31/22 — Team option on Udoka Azubuike.
- 6/29/23 — Jordan Clarkson’s player option.
- 7/10/23 — Royce O’Neale’s $9.5 million guarantees for 2023-24.
- Before the start of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline on Udoka Azubuike.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer on Udoka Azubuike.
- 6/29/2025 — Player options on Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than 2/24/21.
- 11/16/20 — Mike Conley’s early termination option expired.
- 11/18/20 — Traded 2020-23rd and the rights to Ante Tomic (2008-44th) to the New York Knicks for 2020-27th and 2020-38th.
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Udoka Azubuike (2020-27th) and Saben Lee (2020-38th).
- 11/19/20 — Traded a 2022 second-rounder and $3.5 million to the New Orleans Pelicans for the rights to Elijah Hughes (2020-39th).
- 11/19/20 — Issued a qualifying offer to Jarrell Brantley.
- 11/19/20 — Declined to issue a qualifying offer to Justin Wright-Foreman.
- 11/22/20 — Traded Ed Davis and a 2023 second-rounder to the New York Knicks for cash (TBD).
- 11/22/20 — Traded Tony Bradley and the rights to Saben Lee (2020-38th) to the Detroit Pistons for cash (TBD).
- 11/23/20 — Re-signed Donovan Mitchell to a five-year $163,000,300 designated rookie-scale extension, player option on the final season. The exact salary won’t be determined until the start of the 2021-22 calendar year. May climb to 30 percent of the salary cap.
- 11/23/20 — Re-signed Jordan Clarkson to a four-year $51,520,000 contract, player option on the final season.
- 11/24/20 — Signed Derrick Favors to a three-year $29,162,700 contract, player option on the final season.
- 11/24/20 — Signed Udoka Azubuike (2020-27th) to a $10,151,244 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/24/20 — Signed Elijah Hughes (2020-39th) to a two-year $2,416,291 minimum contract.
- 11/25/20 — Georges Niang’s $1,738,557 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/25/20 — Signed Jake Toolson to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/25/20 — Re-signed Jarrell Brantley to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/25/20 — Signed Trent Forrest to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/27/20 — Traded Rayjon Tucker and a 2027 second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers for cash (TBD).
- 11/30/20 — Signed Romaro Gill to a non-guaranteed $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/9/20 — Signed Shaquille Harrison to a non-guaranteed $1,678,854 minimum summer contract (Exhibit 9).
- 12/10/20 — Signed Trevon Bluiett to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/15/20 — Waived Nigel Williams-Goss.
- 12/16/20 — Signed Tre Scott to a non-guaranteed $1,445,697 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/18/20 — Waived Jake Toolson, Trevon Bluiett, Tre Scott and Romaro Gill.
- 12/18/20 — Signed Yogi Ferrell to a non-guaranteed $1,737,145 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/18/20 — Signed Malcolm Miller to a non-guaranteed $1,678,854 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/19/20 — Waived Yogi Ferrell and Malcolm Miller.
- 12/20/20 — Re-signed Rudy Gobert to a five-year designated $205 million veteran extension, player option on the final season.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
- Donovan Mitchell — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: None
- Non-Bird: Emmanuel Mudiay ($1,620,564), Justin Wright-Foreman ($1,445,697)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Shan Foster (2008-51st), Mario Austin (2003-36th), Peter Fehse (2002-49th)
Arena: Vivint Smart Home Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 1/18/21)