Quick: Over the cap and luxury tax.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): Over the cap and luxury tax.
Roster Count: 13 guaranteed, two non/partially-guaranteed, one two-way, one summer contract
PG: Mike Conley, Jared Butler, MaCio Teague (summer contract)
SG: Donovan Mitchell, Jordan Clarkson, Trent Forrest
SF: Bojan Bogdanovic, Rudy Gay, Miye Oni, Elijah Hughes
PF: Royce O’Neale, Joe Ingles, Eric Paschall, Jarrell Brantley
C: Rudy Gobert, Hassan Whiteside, Udoka Azubuike
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Derrick Favors, expiring 6/27/22) — $7,475,379
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $0 (Rudy Gay)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Miye Oni $1,782,621 — 1/7/22
- Jarrell Brantley $1,782,621 ($84,414) — 1/7/22
- MaCio Teague $925,258 — 1/7/22
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
- Udoka Azubuike (third-year)
Waived Players: Matt Thomas
Traded Players: Derrick Favors
G-League Affiliate: Salt Lake City Stars (general manager Steve Brandes, Martin Schiller coach)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Ryan Smith
- Justin Zanik — general manager
- David Morway — assistant general manager
- Richard Smith — executive director of basketball operations and global scouting
- Mike Wells — director of basketball operations
- Dennis Lindsey — advisor
Head Coach: Quin Snyder
Assistants: Alex Jensen, Dell Demps, Vince Legarza, Lamar Skeeter, Jeff Watkinson, Bryan Bailey, Keyon Dooling, Mike Wells, Sergi Oliva, Erdem Cam
Trainer: Mike Elliott (vice president of performance health care), Eric Waters (head athletic trainer), Barnett Frank (director of performance science)
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder (top-six protected in 2022, top-three protected in 2023, top-one in 2024 otherwise converts to 2025 and 2026 second-rounders) from the Memphis Grizzlies (Mike Conley). If conveyed, the 2026 second-rounder will go to the Golden State Warriors (Eric Paschall).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Memphis Grizzlies (Santiago Aldama).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Elijah Hughes).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder to the New York Knicks (Ed Davis).
- 2024 — Owed a first-rounder (two-years after the obligation to the Memphis Grizzlies, top-10 protected through 2025, top-8 protected in 2026, otherwise converts to a 2028 second-rounder) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Derrick Favors).
- 2024 — Higher of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Jazz second-rounders to the New York Knicks, the higher of the Indiana Pacers and (the lower of the Cavaliers and Jazz) to the Memphis Grizzlies, the lowest to the Pacers (George Hill, Ed Davis, James Harden, Isaiah Todd, Grayson Allen).
- 2026 — Owed a second-rounder (31-42) from the Memphis Grizzlies (Santiago Aldama). Will convey to the Golden State Warriors if 43-60 (Eric Paschall).
- 2027 — Owed the lowest second-rounder from the Indiana Pacers, Houston Rockets, Miami HEAT and Oklahoma City Thunder (Derrick Favors).
- 2027 — Owe a second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (Rayjon Tucker).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $0
- 9/15/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Eric Paschall.
- 10/12/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Rudy Gobert.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Udoka Azubuike.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Jarrell Brantley, Rudy Gay, MaCio Teague, Mike Conley and Hassan Whiteside
- 1/7/22 — Miye Oni’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 1/7/22 — Jarrell Brantley’s $1,669,178 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 1/7/22 — MaCio Teague’s $925,258 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/27/22 — Derrick Favors trade exception expires.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Jarrell Brantley, MaCio Teague, Eric Paschall, Elijah Hughes and Miye Oni.
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 10/31/22 — Team option on Udoka Azubuike.
- 6/29/23 — Rudy Gay and Jordan Clarkson’s player options.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline on Jared Butler.
- 7/10/23 — Royce O’Neale’s $9.5 million guarantees for 2023-24.
- Before the start of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline on Udoka Azubuike.
- 48-hours following the NBA Draft — Mike Conley’s $25,860,000 guarantees for 2023-24 (incentives TBD).
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer on Udoka Azubuike.
- 6/29/25 — Player options on Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 6/27/21 — Dennis Lindsey stepped down as executive vice president of basketball operations, transitioning to role as an advisor.
- 7/29/21 — Drafted Santiago Aldama (2021-30th).
- 7/30/21 — Traded Derrick Favors (generating a $7,475,379 trade exception) and a 2024 first-rounder (two-years after the obligation to the Memphis Grizzlies, top-10 protected through 2025, top-8 protected in 2026, otherwise converts to a 2028 second-rounder) to the Oklahoma City Thunder for the lowest 2027 second-rounder from the Houston Rockets, Indiana Pacers, Miami HEAT or Thunder, and $2 million.
- 8/1/21 — Issued qualifying offers to Trent Forrest (two-way) and Jarrell Brantley (two-way).
- 8/1/21 — Declined to issue a qualifying offer to Juwan Morgan.
- 8/6/21 — Ed Davis ($5,005,350) and Tony Bradley (2,024,079) trade exceptions expired.
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Mike Conley to a partially-guaranteed three-year $72,540,000 contract with $1.5 million in unlikely incentives per season.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Hassan Whiteside to a $2,401,537 minimum contract.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Rudy Gay to a three-year $18,553,500 contract via the taxpayer mid-level exception, player option on the final season.
- 8/7/21 — Traded a conditional Memphis Grizzlies 2026 second-rounder (top-42 protected) to the Golden State Warriors for Eric Paschall, via the Derrick Favors trade exception ($7,475,379 remaining).
- 8/7/21 — Traded Santiago Aldama (2021-30th) to the Memphis Grizzlies for Jared Butler (2021-40th), a 2022 second-rounder and a 2026 second-rounder.
- 8/7/21 — Re-signed Jarrell Brantley to partially-guaranteed $1,669,178 minimum contract.
- 8/11/21 — Re-signed Trent Forrest to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/11/21 — Rayjon Tucker trade exception ($340,000) expired.
- 8/11/21 — Signed Jared Butler (2021-40th) to a two-year $2,488,776 minimum contract.
- 8/14/21 — Signed MaCio Teague to non-guaranteed $925,258 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
No-Trade: Jarell Brantley (One-Year Bird)
- Donovan Mitchell — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Shan Foster (2008-51st), Mario Austin (2003-36th), Peter Fehse (2002-49th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Early Bird: Juwan Morgan ($1,669,178)
- Non-Bird: Ersan Ilyasova ($1,669,178), Emmanuel Mudiay*** ($1,669,178)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
Arena: Vivint Smart Home Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/30/21)