After faltering for a short period of time, the United States has re-established its global dominance in the game of basketball. Jerry Colangelo became the head of the USA National Team Program in 2005 and since then the senior national team has compiled a 62-1 record with first place finishes at the 2007 FIBA Americas Championship, 2008 Beijing Olympics, 2010 FIBA world Championships and 2012 London Olympics.
Becoming content and feeling like they could beat any other country with little preparation was the downfall of USA Basketball in the 2004 Athens Olympics. As preparation for the 2016 Rio Olympics and 2014 World Cup of Basketball in Spain begin, it’s clear that Colangelo and company is intent on not letting history repeat itself. A 28-player pool was released Wednesday and according to Colangelo it’s the best pool they’ve ever assembled.
Participants include: Carmelo Anthony (New York Knicks), Tyson Chandler (New York Knicks), Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors), Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans), Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder), James Harden (Houston Rockets), Dwight Howard (Houston Rockets), Andre Iguodala (Golen State Warriors), LeBron James (Miami HEAT), Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves), Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers), Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls), Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder), Deron Williams (Brooklyn Nets), LaMarcus Aldridge (Portland Trail Blazers), Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards), DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings), Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons), Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets), Paul George (Indiana Pacers), Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers), Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz), Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers), Kyle Korver (Atlanta Hawks), David Lee (Golden State Warriors), Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs), Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers) and Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors).
The first thing you’ll notice is a lot of carryover from previous teams. That’s by design; the three C’s (continuity, commitment and camaraderie), as Team USA head coach Mike Krzyzewksi refers to them, has become the program’s foundation.
Ideally, they’d like a mix of veteran players on this summer’s World Cup team with young players who have yet to represent their country.
The overall look of the team will be different than we’ve seen recently, though, because it will have much stronger, formidable rotation at the four and five spots. Team USA played small ball in the London Olympics, but they’ll be able to play a much more traditional style of basketball moving forward, without having to ask guys to play out of position as much as they had to in the past due to injuries and availability.
“We’re excited about the post because we have more guys there than we’ve had before,” Coach K said. “In Aldridge, you have a young player in Drummond, obviously you have Cousins whose having a heck of a year. For Dwight Howard to be back with the group, he was such an integral part of the Beijing Olympics, and really one of the emerging stars in the NBA in Anthony Davis. This is more big guys than we’ve had before, one of them at the end of the gold medal game, at the four and five were Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James and that’s not bad, but hopefully all these guys are healthy and don’t have any contract or personal issues. The fact is that would be utopia, but we do have a few more options now.”
From the way Coach K raved about Davis in particular, it’s safe to say he’s a frontrunner to make both the World Cup and Olympic team.
“He’s not your normal big guy cause he’s very very fluid,” Coach K said. “He can guard probably every position. The thing I love the most about him is his athleticism, ability to block shots and finish. For this group he can a great rim protector for us and an amazing ball screen, defensive big guy because of his mobility and he can step in if necessary even switch and guard a number of players. It’s the offensive game, it continues to improve. We’re going to run, he can finish and really run the court well. He’s just a terrific young man. He’s also only 20 years, he’ll be 21 in March and he’s a star. He’s going to be a great great player.”
Even with the improved presence on the frontline, the face of Team USA will once again be LeBron James. He, along with Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul, will take this summer off, but he’s on board for 2016 in Rio.
“He’s really excited,” Coach K said of James. “The one thing about LeBron, there’s so many things about LeBron that you love. I love the fact that he loves the game so much, he loves the history of the game, every aspect of the game. He’s really put his face on USA Basketball for this last decade and how he’s handled things has really helped the development of younger players and howthey approach the game. His love and commitment, he shows up every day. We’re very pleased that he wants to continue to be a part of this.”
“He was a young guy when he participated in Athens in ’04,” Colangelo said. “That seems like a long time ago, the fact that there wasn’t a lot of success on that team when he was 19 and then the success that followed in USA Basketball and in the NBA, he has developed into one of the great players of all-time. For him to do it a fourth time would be just another star or asterisk next to his name in his career.”
Of the 28 player selected for the pool, 12 will be selected to represent the U.S. in the World Cup in late August. If they win, they will have the summer of 2015 off. Otherwise, they’ll have to qualify during that summer to ensure their spot in Rio.
Rondo’s Position of Power: Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge revealed on a local radio show today that the team recently tried to negotiate a contract with star point guard Rajon Rondo, who recently made his return to the court after suffering a torn ACL last year. It was more of a sign of good faith and desire to keep him than anything, because Ainge knew all along there wasn’t much incentive for Rondo to accept an extension now.
“In the Collective Bargaining Agreement, there are limits on what can and can’t be done,” Ainge said. “Really, it’s not that Rondo doesn’t want to accept an extension, as much as it’s just not financially smart for him to accept it right now. We didn’t think he would [sign], but we did try.”
From now until July, Rondo is only eligible for a two-year extension. By waiting until July, he is eligible for a three year contract. However, Rondo would be able to get the most years by becoming a free agent and re-signing with the Celtics for five years at the end of next season.
Rondo is in the fourth year of a five-year, $55 million extension. Ainge admitted that there would be a lot of interest in Rondo should he become a free agent and that he’d likely garner “star money”; the potential of signing a max contract is going to make it very difficult for the Celtics to prevent Rondo from hitting unrestricted free agency. They’re going to have to come with a hefty offer in July. If they do and it still isn’t enough, that’s when we could see trade talks surrounding Rondo really mean something.
Bulls’ guard Zach LaVine desires respect for new contract
According to ESPN’s Brian Windhorst, Chicago Bulls star Zach LaVine wants the respect he deserves for his contract extension. On Monday morning before Team USA’s practice to prepare for Tuesday’s match against Spain, the 26-year-old guard said to reporters, “I just want my respect, that’s the main thing. I outplayed my contract. I’ve been very loyal to Chicago. I like Chicago. I just want my respect. If that’s now or later, it’s something we’ve got to work out internally.” In the 2020-21 season, in 58 games played, LaVine averaged 27.4 points, five rebounds and 4.9 assists per game. He also shot 50.7 percent from the field and was selected to his first NBA All-Star Game.
Regarding the “outplayed my contract” comment, his argument his fair. Last season, with 200 three-point field goals made, he ranked ninth overall in the league. Despite the Bulls finishing 31-41 (.431) last season, he led the team in points and assists. Per ESPN, they are also reporting that Chicago is trying to work out a four-year, $105 million contract extension for their star guard. Though, this deal is expected to fall below his market value. In terms of signing available free agents this offseason, some Bulls fans are speculating the organization will pursue either Knicks’ shooting guard/small forward Reggie Bullock, Lakers’ power forward/center Markieff Morris or Pelicans’ point guard Lonzo Ball.
Zach LaVine says he "wants his respect" in contract extension & will stay in touch with Bulls in coming days as they face challenging decisions with cap space: https://t.co/36T2RpAtZu
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) August 2, 2021
On July 13, 2018, the 2014 13th pick of the draft signed a four-year, $78 million contract with the Bulls. LaVine earned $19,500,000 last season, and he is set to earn $19,500,000 in the upcoming season. It is not urgent for Chicago to extend LaVine’s contract this offseason. The organization will have the full rights to re-sign him to a new deal for next season in 2022.
However, the guard will also become an unrestricted free agent next year, so the Bulls should work towards fixing their salary cap issues right now. Referencing Spotrac, center Nikola Vucevic has a cap figure of $24 million. Of this amount, his future guaranteed cash is $22 million. One notable 2021-22 cap hold is Lauri Markkanen. His qualifying offer is $9,026,952, and his cap figure is $20,194,524. On March 2, 2020, Markkanen was recalled from the Windy City Bulls of the G League.
Furthermore, on March 25, 2021, center Nikola Vucevic and forward Al-Farouq Aminu were traded by the Orlando Magic to the Bulls in exchange for Otto Porter, Wendell Carter Jr., a 2021 first-round pick and a 2023 first-round pick. This is quite the gamble for the Bulls organization, considering they traded away two future first-round picks. Vucevic is set to earn $24 million for the 2021-22 season. Chicago has $56,679,846 available in cap space. Their current luxury tax space is $29,405746.
Rockets decline Avery Bradley’s $5.9 million team option
First reported by Shams Charania of The Athletic, the Houston Rockets are declining Avery Bradley’s team option for the 2021-22 NBA season. On November 23, 2020, the 30-year-old guard signed as a free agent with the Miami Heat. He signed a two-year, $11.6 million deal. On March 25, 2021, the Heat traded Bradley, Kelly Olynyk and a 2022 first-round pick to the Houston Rockets for two-time NBA All-Star guard Victor Oladipo. The 2022 first-round pick is an option to trade for a potential Heat or Nets pick. Plus, Houston received a trade exception, too.
Moreover, Bradley earned $5,635,000 this previous season; the Rockets declined his 2021-22 team option of $5,916,750 for next season. In other words, both sides have mutually agreed to part ways, so the six-foot-three guard is now an unrestricted free agent. In early February, it was first reported that the Washington native would miss three to four weeks due to a calf strain. Before this injury, he averaged 8.5 points, 1.8 rebounds and 1.4 assists per game for Miami. Furthermore, he also shot a career-high percentage of 42.1 percent from behind the arc last season.
The Rockets are not picking up guard Avery Bradley’s $5.9 million team option for next season, making him an unrestricted free agent, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Sides mutually agreed to part ways.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) July 31, 2021
Though, Bradley disappointed both of his teams last season, leading to the Rockets finishing 17-55 (.236), ranking 15th overall in the Western Conference. Last season was the first time since the 1982-83 season that Houston failed to win at least 20 games. Since the 2011-12 season, it was the first time the Rockets had failed to qualify for the playoffs. In only 27 games played, the 11-year NBA veteran averaged 6.4 points, 2.1 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game. He shot 37.4 percent from the field as well.
Likewise, the Miami Heat finished 40-32 (.556) last season, regressing from the team’s 44-29 (.603) record and sixth NBA Finals appearance from the 2019-20 season. Fans across social media are already speculating that the 2010 19th overall pick will end up playing for the Los Angeles Lakers next season. If this happens, he would join the team’s newly established big three: LeBron James, Anthony Davis, and Russell Westbrook.
After Bradley signed with the Lakers for the 2019-20 season, he joined the list of players in the league’s history who played for both the Celtics and Lakers. The list includes Brian Shaw, Clyde Lovellette, Mel Counts, Rick Fox, Don Nelson, Bob McAdoo, Isaiah Thomas, Charlie Scott, Gary Payton, Shaquille O’Neal and Rajon Rondo. According to Bleacher Report, the Lakers are also interested in signing Carmelo Anthony this offseason.
Mavericks will pick up Willie Cauley-Stein’s $4.1 million option
Per ESPN’s Tim MacMahon, the Dallas Mavericks are planning to pick up center Willie Cauley-Stein’s $4.1 million option for the 2021-22 NBA season. The deadline is tomorrow. Last season, in 53 games played, the seven-foot big man averaged 5.3 points and 4.5 rebounds per game. The sixth-year player also shot 63.2 percent from the field last season.
On July 8, 2019, Cauley-Stein signed a two-year, $4.46 million contract with the Golden State Warriors. Then, on January 25, 2020, Cauley-Stein was traded to the Mavericks for a 2020 second-round pick. If everything goes smoothly, the 27-year-old center is set to earn $4.1 million next season. The 2015 sixth overall pick’s contract consumes less than three percent of the team’s total salary cap.
Source says Mavs are leaning toward picking up center Willie Cauley-Stein's $4.1 million option for next season. Deadline is Sunday and Mavs are waiting to see if situation unexpectedly materializes to make that cap space worth parting with a big man they like.
— Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon) July 31, 2021
This news comes right after Dallas received center Moses Brown from the Boston Celtics. Brown is a seven-foot-two, 2019 undrafted player out of UCLA. In 2021, Brown was named to the All-NBA G League First Team and All-Defensive Team. On March 28, 2021, the 21-year-old center signed a four-year, $6.8 million contract with the Thunder.
However, on June 18, 2021, the Oklahoma City Thunder traded Brown, Al Horford, and a 2023 second-round pick to the Celtics for Kemba Walker, a 2021 first-round pick and a 2025 second-round pick. With Boston, Brown was set to earn $1,701,593 next season. Of course, the Mavs organization is finalizing a trade to send Josh Richardson to the Celtics as well. In other news, today is Mavs owner Mark Cuban’s 63rd birthday.
Referencing Spotrac’s 2021-22 luxury tax totals, the Mavs’ current luxury tax space is $52,326,531. The 2021 NBA salary cap maximum is $112,414,000. Their current cap space is $27,595,632. Cauley-Stein’s contract is recognized as a club option, not a player option or guaranteed money. Richardson’s deadline is also tomorrow, so because he is getting traded to Boston, the team will not collect his $11,615,328 player option.
Plus, Jalen Brunson’s deadline is also August 1st. His guaranteed value is $1,802,057. Leading into the 2021-22 season, Kristaps Porzingis has the highest cap figure on the team, which is an amount worth $31,650,600, consuming 22.73 percent of the team’s total salary cap. At the moment, Porzingis is a popular name in trade rumor articles. Bettors and NBA analysts are predicting a possible trade to the Brooklyn Nets, Sacramento Kings or Philadelphia 76ers.
Main Page5 days ago
Team USA vs. Czech Republic – Preview, Prediction, & Betting Picks
Headlines1 week ago
NBA Trade Rumors: Jazz considering trade offers for Bojan Bogdanovic, Joe Ingles, Royce O’Neale, and No. 30 pick of the 2021 NBA Draft
NBA2 weeks ago
2021-22 NBA Futures Odds: All of the Odds for the 2022 Season Championship
Headlines2 weeks ago
NBA Trade Rumors: Lakers are negotiating Russell Westbrook Sign-and-Trade deal with Wizards