Quick: Over the cap and luxury tax.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): Over the cap.
Roster Count: 13 guaranteed, one two-way
PG: Damian Lillard, Anfernee Simons
SG: C.J. McCollum, Tony Snell, Ben McLemore
SF: Norman Powell, Nassir Little, CJ Elleby, Greg Brown III, Trendon Watford (two-way)
PF: Robert Covington, Larry Nance Jr
C: Jusuf Nurkic, Cody Zeller
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Gary Trent Jr, expiring 2/11/22) — $1,663,861
- Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $8,610,742 (Greg Brown III)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Anfernee Simons
- Nassir Little (fourth-year)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: Derrick Jones Jr
G-League Affiliate: None
Two-Way Contracts: Trendon Watford
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Jody Allen
- Neil Olshey — president of basketball operations
- Bill Branch — assistant general manager
- Steve Rosenberry — assistant general manager
- Joe Cronin — director of player personnel
- Zach Williams — director of basketball analytics
- Sean Kiely — scouting manager
- Nick West — director of basketball operations
Head Coach: Chauncy Billups
Assistants: Scott Brooks, Roy Rogers, Steve Hetzel, Edniesha Curry, Milt Palacio
Trainers: Jesse Elis (director of player health & performance), Geoff Clark (head athletic trainer)
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder (lottery protected through 2028, else converts to a 2028 second-rounder) to the Chicago Bulls (Lauri Markkanen).
- 2023 — Owe second-rounder to the Boston Celtics (Rodney Hood, Kevin Porter Jr, Luke Kennard, Rajon Rondo, Tristan Thompson).
- 2024 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Atlanta Hawks (Skal Labissiere).
- 2024 — Owe second-rounder to the Sacramento Kings (Trevor Ariza).
- 2025 — Owe second-rounder to the Sacramento Kings (Trevor Ariza).
- 2026 — Owe a second-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Greg Brown III).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $0
- 10/6/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Larry Nance Jr.
- 10/18/21 — Extension deadline on Anfernee Simons.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Cody Zeller, Tony Snell and Ben McLemore.
- 1/15/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Norman Powell.
- 2/11/22 — Gary Trent Jr trade exception expires.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Anfernee Simons.
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline on Nassir Little.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Nassir Little.
- 8/1/23 — Greg Brown III’s $1,836,096 guarantees for 2023-24.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline on Greg Brown III.
- 6/29/24 — Player option on Damian Lillard.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 6/4/21 — Fired Coach Terry Stotts.
- 6/27/21 — Hired Chauncey Billups as head coach.
- 7/26/21 — Derrick Jones Jr opted into his final season.
- 7/30/21 — Traded a 2026 second-rounder and $2 million to the New Orleans Pelicans for Greg Brown III (2021-43rd).
- 7/31/21 — Declined to issue qualifying offers to Keljin Blevins, TJ Leaf and Zach Collins.
- 8/1/21 — Norman Powell opted out of his final season.
- 8/2/21 — Mario Hezonja trade exceptions ($1,737,145) expired.
- 8/3/21 — Jusuf Nurkic’s $12,000,000 guaranteed for 2021-22 ($1,250,000 in additional unlikely incentives).
- 8/3/21 — Signed Trendon Watford to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/4/21 — Signed Cody Zeller to a $2,239,544 minimum contract.
- 8/6/21 — Trevor Ariza trade exceptions ($661,655) expired.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Ben McLemore a $2,389,641 minimum contract.
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Norman Powell to a five-year $90 million contract.
- 8/10/21 — Signed Tony Snell to a $2,389,614 minimum contract.
- 8/13/21 — Signed Greg Brown III (2021-43rd) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $4,324,872 contract, via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
- 8/28/21 — Traded Derrick Jones Jr and a 2021 first-rounder (lottery protected through 2028, else converts to a 2028 second-rounder) to the Chicago Bulls for Larry Nance Jr from the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Bulls sent Lauri Markkanen (via sign-and-trade) to the Cavaliers for a Denver Nuggets 2023 second-rounder (top-46 protected).
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Daniel Diez (2015-54th), Bojan Dubljevic (2013-59th), Milovan Rakovic (2007-60th), Nedzad Sinanovic (2003-54th), Federico Kammerichs (2002-51st), Doron Sheffer (1996-36th), Marcelo Nicola (1993-50th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: TJ Leaf ($1,789,256, two-way), Harry Giles ($1,669,178), Rondae Hollis-Jefferson ($1,669,178), Keljin Blevins (two-way)
- Declined First: Caleb Swanigan*** ($3,665,787)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
Arena: Moda Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/1/21)