Quick: Over the cap and luxury tax.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): Over the cap.
Roster Count: 13 guaranteed, one two-way
PG: Damian Lillard, Anfernee Simons
SG: C.J. McCollum, Tony Snell, Ben McLemore
SF: Norman Powell, Nassir Little, CJ Elleby, Greg Brown III, Trendon Watford (two-way)
PF: Robert Covington, Larry Nance Jr
C: Jusuf Nurkic, Cody Zeller
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Gary Trent Jr, expiring 2/11/22) — $1,663,861
- Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $8,610,742 (Greg Brown III)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Anfernee Simons
- Nassir Little (fourth-year)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: Derrick Jones Jr
G-League Affiliate: None
Two-Way Contracts: Trendon Watford
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Jody Allen
- Neil Olshey — president of basketball operations
- Bill Branch — assistant general manager
- Steve Rosenberry — assistant general manager
- Joe Cronin — director of player personnel
- Zach Williams — director of basketball analytics
- Sean Kiely — scouting manager
- Nick West — director of basketball operations
Head Coach: Chauncy Billups
Assistants: Scott Brooks, Roy Rogers, Steve Hetzel, Edniesha Curry, Milt Palacio
Trainers: Jesse Elis (director of player health & performance), Geoff Clark (head athletic trainer)
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder (lottery protected through 2028, else converts to a 2028 second-rounder) to the Chicago Bulls (Lauri Markkanen).
- 2023 — Owe second-rounder to the Boston Celtics (Rodney Hood, Kevin Porter Jr, Luke Kennard, Rajon Rondo, Tristan Thompson).
- 2024 — Owed second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Atlanta Hawks (Skal Labissiere).
- 2024 — Owe second-rounder to the Sacramento Kings (Trevor Ariza).
- 2025 — Owe second-rounder to the Sacramento Kings (Trevor Ariza).
- 2026 — Owe a second-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Greg Brown III).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $0
- 10/6/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Larry Nance Jr.
- 10/18/21 — Extension deadline on Anfernee Simons.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Cody Zeller, Tony Snell and Ben McLemore.
- 1/15/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Norman Powell.
- 2/11/22 — Gary Trent Jr trade exception expires.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Anfernee Simons.
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline on Nassir Little.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Nassir Little.
- 8/1/23 — Greg Brown III’s $1,836,096 guarantees for 2023-24.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline on Greg Brown III.
- 6/29/24 — Player option on Damian Lillard.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 6/4/21 — Fired Coach Terry Stotts.
- 6/27/21 — Hired Chauncey Billups as head coach.
- 7/26/21 — Derrick Jones Jr opted into his final season.
- 7/30/21 — Traded a 2026 second-rounder and $2 million to the New Orleans Pelicans for Greg Brown III (2021-43rd).
- 7/31/21 — Declined to issue qualifying offers to Keljin Blevins, TJ Leaf and Zach Collins.
- 8/1/21 — Norman Powell opted out of his final season.
- 8/2/21 — Mario Hezonja trade exceptions ($1,737,145) expired.
- 8/3/21 — Jusuf Nurkic’s $12,000,000 guaranteed for 2021-22 ($1,250,000 in additional unlikely incentives).
- 8/3/21 — Signed Trendon Watford to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/4/21 — Signed Cody Zeller to a $2,239,544 minimum contract.
- 8/6/21 — Trevor Ariza trade exceptions ($661,655) expired.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Ben McLemore a $2,389,641 minimum contract.
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Norman Powell to a five-year $90 million contract.
- 8/10/21 — Signed Tony Snell to a $2,389,614 minimum contract.
- 8/13/21 — Signed Greg Brown III (2021-43rd) to a partially-guaranteed three-year $4,324,872 contract, via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
- 8/28/21 — Traded Derrick Jones Jr and a 2021 first-rounder (lottery protected through 2028, else converts to a 2028 second-rounder) to the Chicago Bulls for Larry Nance Jr from the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Bulls sent Lauri Markkanen (via sign-and-trade) to the Cavaliers for a Denver Nuggets 2023 second-rounder (top-46 protected).
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Daniel Diez (2015-54th), Bojan Dubljevic (2013-59th), Milovan Rakovic (2007-60th), Nedzad Sinanovic (2003-54th), Federico Kammerichs (2002-51st), Doron Sheffer (1996-36th), Marcelo Nicola (1993-50th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: TJ Leaf ($1,789,256, two-way), Harry Giles ($1,669,178), Rondae Hollis-Jefferson ($1,669,178), Keljin Blevins (two-way)
- Declined First: Caleb Swanigan*** ($3,665,787)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
Arena: Moda Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/1/21)
Looking to bet on Portland Trail Blazers? Make sure to do it on one of the numerous Oregon sports betting sites or at one of the best offshore sportsbooks or any other online sportsbooks available in the US. You can also bet on your mobile using one of the best sports betting apps.
- Vasilije Micic on NBA: “People there are hesitant to give me the role that I want”
- Draymond Green says Jayson Tatum is the ‘young GOAT’ or ‘next greatest’
- 2023 NBA Draft prospects Victor Wembanyama and Scoot Henderson steal the show in exhibition
- 76ers coach Doc Rivers says Reed, Harrell, and Tucker will back up Embiid
- Timberwolves center Karl-Anthony Towns is ready for season opener