Quick: Spent over the cap. Hard-capped via the Tomas Satoransky sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($115 million cap): Up to $31.9 million in cap space, none if Otto Porter opts in.
Roster Count: 11 guaranteed, one player option
PG: Tomas Satoransky, Coby White, Ryan Arcidiacono
SG: Zach LaVine
SF: Otto Porter (PO), Chandler Hutchison
PF: Lauri Markkanen, Thaddeus Young
C: Wendell Carter Jr., Luke Kornet, Cristiano Felicio, Daniel Gafford
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Estimated Mid-Level Exception — $9,755,000
- Estimated Bi-Annual Exception — $3,818,000
2020 NBA Draft*: 7th ($5,592,120 cap hold); 57th to Washington Wizards (Tomas Satoransky)
* Lottery/Standings TBD
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Jon Diebler (2011-51st), Albert Miralles (2004-39th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds*)
- Full Bird: Otto Porter (PO, $34,800,000), Kris Dunn (RFA, $16,044,021), Denzel Valentine (RFA, $10,132,707)
- Early Bird: Shaquille Harrison (RFA, $2,025,705)
- Non-Bird: Adam Mokoka (RFA, two-way), Max Strus (two-way)
* Estimated, pending the 2020-21 salary-cap figure.
Qualifying Offers (Pending)
- Kris Dunn — $7,091,568
- Denzel Valentine — $4,698,198
- Shaquille Harrison — $2,025,705
- Adam Mokoka (two-way, $50,000 guaranteed)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Lauri Markkanen
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Windy City Bulls (Brad Seymour president, Brian Hagen general manager, Charlie Henry head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Head Coach: Jim Boylen
Assistants: Dean Cooper, Chris Fleming, Nate Loenser, Roy Rogers, Karen Stack Umlauf
Director of player development: Shawn Respert
Trainer: Jeff Tanaka, Chip Schaefer (director of performance health), Arnold Lee (assistant athletic trainer), Matthew Johnson (strength coach), Geoffrey Puls (assistant strength coach)
- Arturas Karnisovas — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Marc Eversley — general manager
- Pat Connelly — vice president of player personnel
- Brian Hagen — associate general manager
- JJ Polk — assistant general manager
- Steve Weinman — assistant general manager
- Jim Paxson — director of pro personnel
- Doug Collins — senior advisor of basketball operations
- John Paxon — senior advisor of basketball operations
- 2020 — Owed a second-rounder from the Memphis Grizzlies (Justin Holiday), may go to the Houston Rockets (56-60 range, Michael Carter-Williams).
- 2020 — Owe a second-rounder (top-55 protected) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot)
- 2020 — Owe the higher second-rounder between the Memphis Grizzlies and Bulls (56-60) to the Washington Wizards (Tomas Satoransky).
- 2021 — Bulls can swap second-rounders with the New Orleans Pelicans (Nikola Mirotic).
- 2022 — Bulls can swap second-rounders with the Detroit Pistons (Jameer Nelson), may go to the Memphis Grizzlies (James Ennis). May swap with the Los Angeles Lakers via the Washington Wizards (Tomas Satoransky).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder to the Washington Wizards (Otto Porter).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 10/16/20 — NBA Draft
- 10/17/20 — Otto Porter’s player option.
- 10/17/20 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Kris Dunn and Shaquille Harrison.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Wendell Carter Jr., Coby White and Chandler Hutchison (revised date TBD).
- Before the first day of 2020-21 season — Extension deadline on Lauri Markkanen
- 6/29/21 — Team option on Ryan Arcidiacono.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Lauri Markkanen.
- 6/30/21 — Thaddeus Young’s $15,190,000 (incentives TBD) guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/30/21 — Tomas Satoransky’s $10 million guarantees for 2021-22.
- Before the first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadlines on Wendell Carter Jr. and Chandler Hutchison.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Coby White
- 1/10/22 — Daniel Gafford’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Team option on Daniel Gafford.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Wendell Carter Jr. and Chandler Hutchison.
- Before the first day of 2022-23 season — Extension deadline on Coby White.
- 1/10/23 — Daniel Gafford’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline on Coby White.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: United Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 6/30/20)