Illinois legalized online sports betting in 2020 and dozens of online sportsbooks are now operating in the state. In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about online sports betting in Illinois and review the 5 best Illinois sports betting sites.
|125% sign up bonus. Bet $1000 Get $1250 Free.||Get Offer|
|$1000 Welcome Bonus||Get Offer|
|50% Deposit Bonus up to $1000||Get Offer|
|Up to $1,000 Welcome Bonus||Get Offer|
|100% Up To $500 - No Code Required||Get Offer|
|100% Welcome Bonus Up To $1000||Get Offer|
|100% Bonus up to $1000||Get Offer|
|100% First Deposit Bonus of $500||Get Offer|
- 1 List of the Best Sportsbooks in Illinois
- 2 Best Illinois Sports Betting Sites Reviewed
- 2.1 1. BetUS – Overall Best Illinois Sportsbook
- 2.2 2. BetOnline – Best Illinois Sports Betting Site with Top Promos
- 2.3 3. MyBookie – Best Online Sports Betting Illinois Site for Live Streaming
- 2.4 4. Bovada – Top Illinois Sports Betting Site for Futures Betting
- 2.5 5. XBet – Best Mobile Sportsbook App in Illinois
- 3 More on gambling in Illinois…
- 4 The Best Regulated Betting Sites in Illinois Reviewed
- 4.1 1. Fanduel – Best Illinois Sportsbook Overall
- 4.2 2. DraftKings – One of the Best Illinois Sportsbooks for College Sports
- 4.3 3. Barstool Sportsbook – The Best Illinois Sportsbook for Betting on Baseball
- 4.4 4. IL BetRivers – One of the Best Illinois Online Sports Betting Sites for Chicago Bears Fans
- 4.5 5. PointsBet – Among the Best Sportsbooks in Illinois for NBA betting
- 5 Sportsbooks in Illinois Compared
- 6 Timeline of Sports Betting Legislation in Illinois
- 7 Who can Bet on Sports in Illinois
- 8 How to Bet on Sports in Illinois
- 9 Is Sports Betting Legal in Illinois
- 10 Previous Sports Betting Bills in Illinois
- 11 Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in Illinois
- 12 Payment Methods available in Illinois
- 13 Bonuses Available at Illinois Betting Sites
- 14 Popular Sports to Bet on in Illinois
- 15 Live Betting with Illinois Sports Betting Sites
- 16 Sports Bets that are Illegal in Illinois
- 17 How Illinois Stacks Up to the Nearby States
- 18 Casinos with Sports Betting in Illinois
- 19 More on Illinois Gambling
- 20 Best Online Sportsbook in Illinois
- 21 FAQs
List of the Best Sportsbooks in Illinois
The number of online sites for sports betting in Illinois is quickly growing. If you’re new to the online sports gambling scene in IL, here are our top 10 picks for placing a wager:
- BetUS – Overall best Illinois sports betting site for 2022
- BetOnline – Best online sports betting Illinois site for live streaming
- MyBookie – Best Illinois sports betting site with top promos
- Bovada – Top Illinois sports betting site for futures betting
- XBet – Best mobile sportsbook app in Illinois
- SportsBetting.ag – An Illinois betting site that broadcasts competitive odds
- BUSR – One of the best Illinois online sportsbooks for horse racing
- Intertops – Among the best Illinois sports gambling sites for hockey wagers
- BetNow – Deeper markets than most other IL sports betting sites
- GTBets – One of the best sportsbooks Illinois has for parlay bets
Best Illinois Sports Betting Sites Reviewed
Let’s take a closer look at the top 5 platforms for online sports betting in Illinois.
1. BetUS – Overall Best Illinois Sportsbook
BetUS is our favorite Illinois sports betting site for players in search of the best promotions. This sportsbook offers a whopping deal for new bettors worth an enormous $3,125! This is a combined 100% sports and 25% casino bonus for you to use across any sports markets and casino games!
Another thing we like about the BetUS sports betting Illinois site is that it tends to offer more favorable odds than other IL sportsbooks. That means that when your bet wins, you can win more than you would at competing sports betting sites. Plus, BetUS offers live betting during matches and HD streaming so you can watch the action unfold.
BetUS broadcasts odds and lines on all the major US professional and college sports leagues, plus sports like rugby, soccer, Aussie rules football, and even golf betting lines. The sportsbook also has accessible customer support with a 24/7 live chat service.
- Biggest welcome offer around
- Favorable odds for most games
- BetUS sportsbook Illinois provides 24/7 customer support
- A sports betting Illinois site that offers live betting and streaming
- More limited payment options than other Illinois sports gambling sites
2. BetOnline – Best Illinois Sports Betting Site with Top Promos
BetOnline is one of the most reputable sportsbooks in the industry and is our #2-rated sports betting in Illinois site for 2022. This online sportsbook stands out for its enormous range of sports, generous welcome bonus, and excellent customer service support.
On top of that, BetOnline offers in-game betting and live streaming for most matches. You can bet on all major sports such as NFL, MLB, college games like the NCAA, as well as UFC.
The BetOnline $1000 welcome bonus can be used across your favorite sports, with no restrictions on what sports you can bet on or what odds you can take.
This top sportsbook also offers a massive range of betting contests across several sports, so if you’re looking for a new and exciting betting challenge with big prizes, BetOnline is one to check out.
- A huge range of sports markets to wager on
- In-game betting and live streaming
- Sports betting Illinois contests run throughout the year
- $1000 welcome bonus
- Excellent customer service support
- Unlike other Illinois sports gambling sites, no PayPal payment option at MyBookie
3. MyBookie – Best Online Sports Betting Illinois Site for Live Streaming
Since being established in 2014, this top Illinois sports betting site has proven to provide an excellent and seamless sports betting experience. You can wager on major US leagues like the NBA, NFL, and MLB, plus college sports, esports, MMA, soccer, rugby, and much more.
MyBookie makes it easy to place bets with a seamless web interface and mobile apps for both iOS and Android devices. You’ll also find support for in-game betting and live streaming of almost every match.
Like BetOnline, MyBookie offers a welcome bonus of up to $1,000 for you to enjoy across the platform. There is also a refer a friend promo worth mentioning, which rewards you 250% up to $250 for each new bettor that you refer.
- Trusted sportsbook with an established history in IL
- Wager on more than 30 sports markets
- An Illinois online sports betting site that offers in-game betting and live streaming
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android
- Limited Esports section
4. Bovada – Top Illinois Sports Betting Site for Futures Betting
Bovada is our top pick for Illinois sports bettors who want to place futures wagers. This betting site offers NBA futures, NFL futures, and even college sports futures, this selection is unmatched by any other Illinois sportsbook.
On top of this, there are a huge variety of wager options and an impressive and easy-to-use prop builder so you can add your favorite sports betting Illinois teams to your betting slip at any time.
If you’re online betting Illinois sports teams, Bovada offers a ton of tools and features for players, including full statistics for every match and live streaming in HD quality. You’ll also find a wide range of in-game bets to make matches more exciting. It also has mobile apps for iOS and Android, and these support all the same features as you’ll find on the website.
This top sportsbook offers a 100% deposit match worth up to $1000 for new players which you can claim using the Bovada promo code, BVD1000. Bovada’s Bitcoin promotion is also second to none, with a huge 75% up to $750 when you make a deposit with Bitcoin!
- Wide range of futures betting markets
- HD-quality live streaming whilst online betting Illinois teams
- Top Bitcoin promotions at this Illinois online sports betting site
- Mobile betting apps for iOS and Android
- $1000 welcome bonus at this Illinois sports betting site
- Lacks e-wallet payments
5. XBet – Best Mobile Sportsbook App in Illinois
XBet is one of the most impressive new betting sites available to bettors in Illinois. It has many of the same cutting-edge features as other Illinois sportsbooks, including in-game betting, live streaming, and a simple-to-use parlay builder.
This sportsbook also has extremely user-friendly mobile betting apps for iOS and Android devices. The apps are among the best we’ve encountered, running quickly and making it incredibly easy to add wagers to your bet slip.
This top Illinois online sports betting site offers new players a $500 welcome offer which can seem smaller in comparison to the other sportsbooks but they also offer a daily cash rebate of up to 7% when you wager across any qualifying racing tracks, making XBet one of the best Illinois sports gambling sites to use for horse racing wagers.
- Top rewards on horse race betting
- Excellent mobile betting apps
- Simple parlay building tool
- Smaller welcome offer
More on gambling in Illinois…
Learn about all types of online gambling in Illinois in our expert guides below:
- Illinois Real Money Online Casinos
- Illinois Online Poker
- Illinois Online Gambling
- Illinois Betting Apps
The Best Regulated Betting Sites in Illinois Reviewed
The top 5 sites appearing in the above selection of mini-reviews are available in most states and also provide upper betting lines on college sports, which is why we favor them slightly.
There are, however, also several geo-restricted sites that are available to bettors gambling in Illinois that are well worth checking out (if you haven’t already).
As such, we’ve reviewed Illinois sports betting online and regulated sites below:
Sportsbooks in Illinois Compared
Wondering which Illinois sportsbook is right for you? We’ve put together a detailed table to help you compare the top 10 IL sportsbooks in 2022:
|Welcome Bonus||Promo Code||Live Streaming||Highlights|
|Betonline.ag||100% deposit match up to $1,000||Not required||No||Large cash contests
High limit betting
|BetUS||125% sportsbook deposit match up to $2,500||JOIN125||No||Tips and analysis articles
Generous loyalty program
|MyBookie||100% deposit match up to $1,000||Not required||No||Weekly betting contests
Bitcoin boost bonus
|Bovada||100% Bitcoin deposit match up to $1000||BVD1000||Yes||Prop bet builder
Live sports streaming
|XBet||100% deposit match up to $500||Not required||No||Racing rebate promo
Unlimited referral bonus
|SportsBetting.ag||100% deposit match up to $1,000||KICK100||No||Free live betting promos
Big money NFL contests
|BUSR||20% deposit match up to $500||WELCOME20||No||Daily rebate
Unlimited referral bonus
|Intertops||100% deposit match up to $500||INSIDERS||No||Weekly NFL pools
Monthly parlay contest
|BetNow||100% deposit match up to $500||BN100||No||Weekly $10,000 MLB contests
Weekly horse rebate
Timeline of Sports Betting Legislation in Illinois
Since the in-person registration on mobile sports betting accounts was lifted in March 2022, there have been some key milestones such as total handles in the state. However, there have not been any updates on sports betting as it is fully and completely legal.
- March 2022: The requirement of in-person registration to bet on sports in Illinois was lifted. This was met with widespread approval by many pro-gambling supporters throughout the state.
- August 2021: The Illinois Gaming Board published applications for the state’s three online-only sports betting licenses. A license costs $20 million and it is unclear if any sports betting outfit will apply for them at this time. The in-person registration requirement will be lifted if and when an online-only sports betting license is issued.
- April 2020: Illinois Governor JB Pritzker suspended the requirement for sports bettors to register in person in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The requirement was reinstated in June, suspended again in August, and then reinstated in April 2021.
- June 2019: The Illinois legislature passed a bill that legalized sports betting and doubled the number of casino licenses available in Illinois. The bill was being amended right up until it passed, and the final language excluded online sportsbooks from receiving their own licenses for 18 months – although they could partner with existing Illinois casinos. After 18 months, three licenses would be available for online-only sportsbooks. In addition, bettors would be required to register for online sports betting accounts at in-person casinos.
- May 2019: Illinois Rep. Mike Zalewski introduced a bill to legalize sports betting. It included unusually high fees and an 18-month waiting period for online sportsbooks and was widely criticized by the sports betting industry.
- 2018: 5 bills to legalize sports betting were introduced to the Illinois legislature this year, although they were primarily intended to explore the possibility of legalizing sports wagering than to be voted on.
Who can Bet on Sports in Illinois
Sports betting is legal in Illinois, both in retail and mobile settings. To wager, you must be 21 years of age and located in the state of Illinois at the time you wish to wager.
Alternatively, you can explore offshore sportsbooks that require you to be 18 years of age.
How to Bet on Sports in Illinois
1. Create Your Account
Choose the sportsbook you wish to play at and create your account.
2. Explore the Promotions
Next, view the promotions the sportsbook offers. This could help you decide how much you should deposit.
3. Deposit Money Into Your Account
After figuring out how much you want to deposit, head over to the deposit page, pick which method you wish to deposit, and complete the process.
4. Make A Bet
Go back to the home page. Here, select what you want to bet on. Your selection will appear in the bet slip where you can complete the process.
Is Sports Betting Legal in Illinois
Yes, sports betting has been legal in Illinois since 2019. The first sportsbooks launched in 2020 and bettors now have a large selection of betting sites to choose from.
Previous Sports Betting Bills in Illinois
- HB 3136: This bill allowed for mobile sportsbook registration. Before this, you needed to go to the sportsbook to create an account.
- HB 3136: This bill legalized sports betting in Illinois.
Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in Illinois
At present, there is a flat sports betting tax rate of 4.95% in the state of Illinois.
Payment Methods available in Illinois
Below are various payment methods to fund your online sportsbook account.
Crypto Betting Options
At offshore sportsbooks, you can use any of the following cryptocurrency options. However, at some sites, there are even more options than this.
- Bitcoin Cash
- Shiba Inu
eWallet Betting Options
Acting as either a middle-man between your bank account and your sportsbook account or using the balance in your account, you can use eWallets, such as the following:
Traditional Payment Methods at Illinois Betting Sites
Don’t worry—there are other more traditional methods you can use to fund your account.
- Credit/Debit Cards
- ACH Transfer
- Online Banking
- Check my mail
- Wire Transfer
Bonuses Available at Illinois Betting Sites
Perhaps the most popular welcome bonus, a deposit bonus gives you a percentage match up to a certain dollar amount.
Let’s use an actual offshore sportsbook as an example.
- Site: BetOnline
- Deposit Bonus: 50% up to $1,000
- Wagering requirement: 10x
With this offer, if you deposit $200, you will receive a credit of $100. However, you must wager $1,000 on the site to withdraw it as cash, as all bonuses are non-withdrawable.
Available to all players where offered, a reload bonus is a deposit bonus, usually consisting of smaller prizes and percentage matches compared to a deposit bonus welcome offer.
To utilize these, you will either need to use a promo code during your deposit or by opting into the offer.
When you wager using a risk-free bet, you will receive the wager back in site credit should you lose. You can use the site credit again as a second chance to win money.
No Deposit Bonus
By receiving a small bonus to your virtual wallet, you will have received a no deposit bonus.
This is a small boon to your account simply for creating an account. These bonus funds carry a small wagering requirement, typically 1x.
Popular Sports to Bet on in Illinois
The major city in Illinois is Chicago, one of the biggest sports cities in America.
Here, we will cover all of the major professional sports in the US and those most popular in the Prairie State.
NFL Sports Betting in Illinois
The NFL is one of the most wagered on sports in the world, and with that, every online sportsbook we recommend offers excellent odds that are all relatively close to one another.
You will wager on the moneyline, spread, totals, props, and more here.
- Chicago Bears – Won their only Super Bowl in 1985.
NBA Sports Betting in Illinois
BetOnline is the pre-eminent source of both NBA and college basketball betting. Here, you will have great odds, odds offered before other sites, and markets such as futures and props.
- Chicago Bulls – Six NBA Championships, all coming in the 1990s.
MLB Betting in Illinois
Bovada has offered great odds on baseball since it launched in 2011. You will have the same bet types as the NBA and NFL with baseball.
- Chicago Cubs – Won their first World Series in nearly 100 years in 2016.
NHL Betting in Illinois
MyBookie is the site to go to for NHL betting. The hockey odds get broadcast faster than at most rival sites and tend to be among the most competitive. Bet types include the same as MLB, NFL, and NBA.
- Chicago Blackhawks – Won three Stanley Cups from 2009 to 2015.
NCAAB Betting in Illinois
Like the NBA, you will have not only the same bet types but also the same best source—BetOnline. Of course, college basketball does have March Madness which is the focus of sports betting when it comes around.
- Illinois Fighting Illini – Won the 1915 Helms national championship.
- Loyola Ramblers – Made it to the Final Four in 2018.
- DePaul Blue Demons – Have been to two Final Fours.
NCAAF Betting in Illinois
With college football, you’ll wager on the same things as the NFL, but there are added futures markets for the numerous awards. Also, like the NFL, you can bet on the sport at any of our recommended sportsbooks with confidence.
- Illinois Fighting Illini – Last bowl game victory came at the 2011 Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.
- Northern Illinois Huskies – Won the MAC Conference in 2021.
- Northwestern Wildcats – Have an all-time record under .500.
- Eastern Illinois Panthers – Have produced players like former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo and current San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo.
Golf Betting in Illinois
Boasting such iconic courses as Glen View, betting on golf is big business in Illinois. Bettors can wager on outright winners and top-five, 10, 15, and 20 finishes at most betting sites. Bovada would be our pick, though: the site offers excellent odds on golfers in all tournaments, especially golfers that are the top favorites.
Horse Racing Betting in Illinois
Horse racing is legal in Illinois. However, if you want to stick with one of the offshore sites, BetUS and BetOnline offer multiple races worldwide to bet on every day.
There are numerous ways to wager on horse racing, but the more popular methods are win, place, show, exacta, daily double, and picks 3-6.
- Arlington Park
- Balmoral Park Harness Racing
- Fairmount Park
- Hawthorne Race Course
- Maywood Park
DFS is Legal in MI
Live Betting with Illinois Sports Betting Sites
If you’ve ever forgotten to bet on a contest before it started, you no longer need to worry about live betting. This feature is available on all of the sites we recommend. There are dedicated pages for completing this type of wager, and the odds shift quickly as the game progresses.
Sports Bets that are Illegal in Illinois
In Illinois, you cannot currently wager on any college sports games taking place in the state.
How Illinois Stacks Up to the Nearby States
Of those states, Indiana and Iowa are entirely legal, Missouri is moving toward legalization, and Kentucky and Wisconsin are not legal yet.
Casinos with Sports Betting in Illinois
In Illinois, seven casinos offer sports betting in a retail setting.
- Rivers Casino
- Grand Victoria
- Casino Queen at DraftKings
- Hollywood Aurora
- Hollywood Joliet
- PointsBet Sportsbook at Hawthorne Racetrack
More on Illinois Gambling
There are other ways to gamble in Illinois, and our team has you covered. If you’re interested in trying out different ways to wager, check out the following links.
Best Online Sportsbook in Illinois
While we recommend you explore all of the sportsbooks on our list to see which one fits your needs, we rank BetUS atop the rest due to its welcome bonus, favorable odds, and 24/7 customer service.
|150% up to $3,000||Get Offer|
Is online sports betting legal in Illinois?
What is the legal gambling age in Illinois?
Who oversees IL sports betting?
Is mobile sports betting available in Illinois?
Where can I bet on sports in Illinois?
Is DraftKings legal in Illinois?
- Kevin Durant requests trade from Nets, wants to play for Heat or Suns
- Deandre Ayton Next Team Odds, Pistons’ Odds Increase by 25%
- Spurs trade Dejounte Murray to Hawks for Gallinari, two first-round picks
- P.J. Tucker signs with 76ers on three-year, $30 million contract
- Collin Sexton Next Team Odds, Pacers’ Odds Increase by 15%