Quick: Over the cap. Repeat tax eligible.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2020-21 (flat $109.14 million cap): Up to $21.1 million, none if Andre Drummond opts in or re-signs.
Roster Count: Eight guaranteed, one player option, three non/partially-guaranteed, one two-way
PG: Collin Sexton, Dante Exum, Matt Mooney (two-way)
SG: Darius Garland, Kevin Porter Jr.
SF: Cedi Osman, Alfonzo McKinnie, Dylan Windler
PF: Kevin Love, Larry Nance Jr., Jordan Bell, Dean Wade
C: Andre Drummond (PO)
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Jordan Clarkson, expiring 12/23/20) — $3,837,500
- Estimated Mid-Level Exception — $9,258,000
- Estimated Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
2020 NBA Draft*: 2nd ($8,730,240 cap hold); 32nd to Charlotte Hornets (Miles Bridges)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Arturas Gudaitis (2015-47th), Ilkan Karaman (2012-57th), Milan Macvan (2011-54th), Chukwudiebere Maduabum (2011-56th), Sergey Gladyr (2009-49th), Renaldas Seibutis (2007-50th), Ejike Ugboaja (2006-55th), Edin Bavcic (2006-56th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Alfonzo McKinnie $1,762,796 1/10/21 (revised date TBD)
- Jordan Bell $1,762,796 (TBD)
- Dean Wade $1,517,981 (TBD)
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds**)
- Full Bird: Andre Drummond (PO, $32,742,000), Tristan Thompson ($27,808,695), Matthew Dellavedova ($14,411,250)
- Declined First: Ante Zizic ($3,872,215)
- Non-Bird: Channing Frye* ($1,620,564), Nik Stauskas* ($1,620,564)
* Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
** Estimated, pending the 2020-21 salary-cap figure.
- Darius Garland
- Collin Sexton
- Dylan Windler
- Kevin Porter Jr.
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Canton Charge (Mike Gansey general manager, Nate Reinking coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Matt Mooney
Head Coach: J.B. Bickerstaff
Assistants: Lindsay Gottlieb, Antonio Lang, Dan Geriot, Steve Frankoski (player development coach), Michael Hartman (director of coaching analytics/player development), Sam Jones (player development coordinator), J.J. Outlaw (assistant coach/player development), Chris Darnell (player development/video assistant), Jay Shunnar (special assistant to head coach), Mike Gerrity (director of player development/assistant coach), Dan Vincent (head video coordinator/player development), Andrew Olson (shooting coach)
Trainers: Steve Spiro, Derek Millender (strength and conditioning), Albert Padilla, Ed Subel
- Koby Altman — general manager
- Mike Gansey — assistant general manager
- Brock Aller — senior director of basketball operations
- Jon Nichols — senior director of analytics
- Brandon Weems — director of scouting
- 2021 — Owe a second-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Kyle Korver, Jaxson Hayes).
- 2022 — Owed a protected (lottery protected in 2021, top-10 protected in 2022, conveys in 11-24 range in 2023, top-eight protected in 2024, otherwise converts to 2024 and 2025 second-rounders) first-rounder from the Milwaukee Bucks (George Hill), two years following Milwaukee’s obligation to the Phoenix Suns.
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Washington Wizards (Sam Dekker).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Houston Rockets (Alec Burks).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from San Antonio Spurs (Boris Diaw, Jordan Clarkson).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Kyle Korver, Jaxson Hayes).
- 2023 — Owed a second-rounder from the Golden State Warriors (Alen Smailagic, Derrick Favors, Jordan Clarkson).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder (lower of Cleveland or Golden State Warriors) to the Detroit Pistons (Andre Drummond).
- 2024 — Utah Jazz can swap second-rounders with the Cleveland Cavaliers (George Hill).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 9/29/20 — No-trade restrictions lift on Jordan Bell and Dean Wade.
- 10/16/20 — NBA Draft.
- 10/19/20-10/23/20 — NBA Moratorium.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Collin Sexton, Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler (revised date TBD).
- 12/23/20 — Jordan Clarkson trade exception expires.
- 1/10/21 — Alfonzo McKinnie’s $1,762,796 guarantees for 2020-21 (revised date TBD).
- Before the first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadline for Collin Sexton.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler.
- 1/10/22 — Alfonzo McKinnie’s $1,910,860 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Collin Sexton.
- Before the first day of 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler.
- 1/10/23 — Alfonzo McKinnie’s $1,910,860 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for Kevin Porter Jr., Darius Garland and Dylan Windler.
- 6/29/23 — Cedi Osman’s $6,718,842 guarantees for 2023-24.
- TBD — Jordan Bell’s guarantee details for 2020-21.
- TBD — Dean Wade’s guarantee details.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Quicken Loans Arena
For notes on some of the rules and an explanation of cap holds, please refer to the following Salary Notes.
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/17/20)