Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Jerami Grant sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $14.9 million in cap space, none with Cory Joseph and/or Rodney McGruder
NBA Draft: No. 2 in the lottery, No. 37 from the Toronto Raptors (Greg Monroe, Dzanan Musa), No. 41 or 42 from the Charlotte Hornets (Willy Hernangomez, Derrick Rose), No. 52 from the Los Angeles Lakers (Svi Mykhailiuk, Christian Wood, KJ Martin, Delon Wright); No. 33 to the New York Knicks (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris, Marcus Morris)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Jaylen Hands (2019-56th), Nikola Radicevic (2015-57th)
Roster Count: Nine guaranteed, three non/partially-guaranteed
PG: Killian Hayes, Cory Joseph
SG: Josh Jackson, Rodney McGruder
SF: Jerami Grant, Saddiq Bey, Deividas Sirvydis
PF: Sekou Doumbouya, Tyler Cook
C: Mason Plumlee, Isaiah Stewart II, Jahlil Okafor
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Derrick Rose, expiring 12/20/21*) — $1,996,249
- Projected Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $9,536,000
- Projected Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
* Exact date TBD
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Cory Joseph $12,600,000 ($4 million guaranteed) — 8/1/21
- Rodney McGruder $5 million — 8/16/21
- Tyler Cook $1,701,593 — 8/10/21
* Cut-down dates may be adjusted by the NBA once the final 2021-22 calendar is set. Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Dennis Smith Jr ($17,060,031), Hamidou Diallo ($2,079,826)
- Non-Bird: Wayne Ellington ($1,669,178), Saben Lee (two-way, RFA), Frank Jackson (two-way, RFA)
- Dennis Smith Jr $7,705,447
- Hamidou Diallo $2,079,826
- Frank Jackson $1,789,256 ($84,414 guaranteed)
- Saben Lee (two-way with $50,000 guaranteed)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Killian Hayes (third-year)
- Isaiah Stewart II (third-year)
- Saddiq Bey (third-year)
- Sekou Doumbouya (fourth-year)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Motor City Cruise (Jon Phelps general manager, Bob Werdann coach)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service.
Governor: Tom Gores
- Arn Tellem — vice chairman
- Troy Weaver — general manager
- Ed Stefanski — senior advisor
- David Mincberg — assistant general manager
- Gregg Polinsky — senior director of player personnel
- Britta Brown — senior director of basketball administration
- Tony Leotti — senior director of basketball strategy and systems
Head Coach: Dwane Casey
Assistants: Sidney Lowe, Micah Nori, Sean Sweeney, Tim Grgurich
Trainer: Bernard Condevaux (senior director of medical and performances), Jim Scholler (head athletic trainer), Trent Salo (performance director), Jordan Sabourin (head strength & conditioning coach)
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder (top-16 protected through 2022, top-18 protected through 2024, top-13 protected in 2025, top-11 protected in 2026, top-9 protected in 2027, otherwise conveys as 2027 second-rounder) to the Houston Rockets (Christian Wood). May go to the Brooklyn Nets via Houston (James Harden).
- 2022 — Chicago Bulls can swap second-rounders (Jameer Nelson), after which, the Memphis Grizzlies can swap second-rounders (James Ennis). May go to the Washington Wizards (TBD).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder to the Los Angeles Clippers (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris, Marcus Morris, Daniel Oturu).
- 2023 — Owed a second-rounder (lower of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Golden State Warriors) from Cleveland (Andre Drummond).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Sacramento Kings (Delon Wright).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $250,000 to the Utah Jazz (Tony Bradley), $110,000 to the Denver Nuggets (Jerami Grant) — $5,257,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $4.6 million from the Houston Rockets (Christian Wood) — $1,017,000 remaining
- 6/22/21 — NBA Draft Lottery.
- 6/27/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Tyler Cook.
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Dennis Smith Jr.
- 8/1/21 — Cory Joseph’s $12.6 million guarantees for 2021-22.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/10/21 — Tyler Cook’s $1,701,593 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 8/16/21 — Rodney McGruder’s $5 million guarantees for 2021-22
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Sekou Doumbouya, Saddiq Bey, Killian Hayes and Isaiah Stewart II.
- 12/20/21 — Derrick Rose trade exception expires.
- 6/30/22 — Deividas Sirvydis’ $1,782,621 guarantees for 2020-21 (one day before the 2022-23 moratorium).
- Before first day of 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Sekou Doumbouya.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Saddiq Bey, Killian Hayes and Isaiah Stewart II.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Sekou Doumbouya and Deividas Sirvydis.
- Before first day of 2022-23 season — Extensions deadline for Saddiq Bey, Killian Hayes and Isaiah Stewart II.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Saddiq Bey, Killian Hayes and Isaiah Stewart II.
- TBD — Mason Plumlee salary guarantees.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 5/12/21 — Re-signed Coach Dwane Casey to a contract extension through the 2023-24 season.
- Mason Plumlee — 10 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Little Caesars Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 5/25/21)