Quick: Over the cap, hard capped by the Derrick Rose mid-level signing.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 ($115 million cap): Up to 48.2 million, less if Tony Snell opts in.
Roster Count: Four guaranteed, one player option, one team option, three non/partially-guaranteed
PG: Derrick Rose, Bruce Brown Jr.
SG: Luke Kennard, Svi Mykhailiuk (TO)
SF: Tony Snell (PO), Khyri Thomas, Sekou Doumbouya
PF: Blake Griffin
C: Justin Patton
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Andre Drummond, expiring 2/6/21) — $1,716,872
- Estimated Room Exception — $5,023,000
2020 NBA Draft*: 5th ($6,744,600); 35th to the Sacramento Kings (Bogdan Bogdanovic).
* Lottery/Standings TBD
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Deividas Sirvydis (2019-37th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Justin Patton $1,762,796 (TBD)
- Bruce Brown Jr. $1,663,861 — 7/10/20 (revised date TBD)
- Khyri Thomas $1,663,861 ($744,684 guaranteed) — 10/23/20
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds**)
- Full Bird: Brandon Knight ($23,465,625), Tony Snell (PO, $17,089,286), John Henson ($14,598,594), Langton Galloway ($13,933,333), Thon Maker (RFA, $10,708,929)
- Early Bird: Christian Wood ($1,707,576), Jordan McRae ($1,707,576)
- Non-Bird: Jose Calderon* ($1,707,576), Zaza Pachulia* ($1,707,576, Isaiah Whitehead* (two-way), Kalin Lucas* (two-way), Jameer Nelson* ($1,620,564)
* Cannot be used in a sign and trade because they were not active players in the NBA last season.
** Estimated, pending the 2020-21 salary-cap figure.
Qualifying Offers (Pending)
- Thon Maker $4,861,854
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Luke Kennard
- Sekou Doumbouya
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Grand Rapids Drive (Jon Phelps general manager, Bob Werdann coach)
Two-Way Players: None
Head Coach: Dwane Casey
Assistants: Sidney Lowe, Sean Sweeney, Tim Grgurich, Micah Nori
Trainer: Jim Scholler (head athletic trainer)
- Arn Tellem — vice chairman
- Ed Stefanski — senior advisor
- Troy Weaver — general manager
- David Mincberg — assistant general manager
- Dan Rosenbaum — senior director of basketball strategy
- Gregg Polinsky — director, player personnel
- J.R. Holden — director, international scouting
- 2020 — Owe second-rounder to the Sacramento Kings (Marcus Morris, Bogdan Bogdanovic).
- 2021 — Owed second-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers (Svi Mykhailiuk).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to the New York Knicks (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris, Marcus Morris).
- 2022 — Chicago Bulls can swap second-rounders (Jameer Nelson), after which, the Memphis Grizzlies can swap second-rounders (James Ennis). May go to the Washington Wizards (TBD).
- 2023 — Owe second-rounder to the Los Angeles Clippers (Khyri Thomas, Tobias Harris).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Rodney Hood, Kevin Porter Jr.).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder (lower of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Golden State Warriors) from Cleveland (Andre Drummond).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $2 million to the Philadelphia 76ers (Jordan Bone) — $3,617,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 7/10/20 — Bruce Brown Jr.’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21 (revised date TBD).
- 9/26/20 — No-trade restriction lifts on Justin Patton.
- 10/15/20 — Team option on Svi Mykhailiuk.
- 10/16/20 — NBA Draft.
- 10/17/20– Qualifying offer deadline on Thon Maker.
- 10/19/20-10/23/20 — NBA Moratorium.
- 10/22/20 — Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk’s $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21
- 10/23/20 — Khyri Thomas’ $1,663,861 guarantees for 2020-21.
- Before first day of 2020-21 season — Extension deadline for Luke Kennard.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Sekou Doumbouya (revised date TBD).
- 2/6/21 — Andre Drummond trade exception expires.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Luke Kennard, Khyri Thomas, Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk and Bruce Brown Jr.
- 6/29/21 — Player option for Blake Griffin.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Sekou Doumbouya.
- Before first day of 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Sekou Doumbouya.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Sekou Doumbouya.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, but players are released 48 hours prior to account for waivers.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Little Caesars Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 7/12/20)