Quick: Over the cap and hard-capped by the Avery Bradley and Mo Harkless contracts via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Up to $28.2 million in cap space, down to $20.6 million with Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn’s cap holds, none with Victor Oladipo’s cap hold.
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Kendrick Nunn, Tyler Herro, Goran Dragic, Gabe Vincent (two-way)
SG: Victor Oladipo, Max Strus (two-way)
SF: Duncan Robinson, Andre Iguodala, KZ Okpala
PF: Jimmy Butler, Trevor Ariza, Precious Achiuwa, Udonis Haslem
C: Bam Adebayo, Nemanja Bjelica, Dewayne Dedmon
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Mid-Level Exception — $0 (Avery Bradley, Mo Harkless)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,623,000
Waived Players: Breein Tyree, Paul Eboua (claimed by the Brooklyn Nets), BJ Johnson
Traded Players: Meyers Leonard, Mo Harkless, Chris Silva, Avery Bradley, Kelly Olynyk
G-League Affiliate: Sioux Falls Skyforce (general manager Eric Amsler, coach TBD)
Two-Way Contracts: Gabe Vincent, Max Strus
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service.
Governor: Micky Arison
- Nick Arison — chief executive officer
- Pat Riley — president
- Andy Elisburg — senior vice president, basketball operations/general manager
- Shane Battier — vice president, basketball development & analytics
- Adam Simon — vice president, basketball operations/assistant general manager
- Chet Kammerer — senior advisor of basketball operations/basketball
- Keith Askins — director of college & pro scouting
- Chad Kammerer — director of NBA scouting/advance scout
Head Coach: Erik Spoelstra
Assistants: Chris Quinn, Malik Allen, Caron Butler, Octavio De La Grana, Anthony Carter, Rob Fodor, Eric Glass
Trainers: Jay Sabol, Eric Foran (head strength & conditioning coach)
- 2021 — Owe first-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Goran Dragic, Mikal Bridges, Tobias Harris, Paul George) or Houston Rockets (Chris Paul). To the Thunder if the Rockets are 1-4. If the Rockets are 5-30, the two higher picks of the Thunder, Rockets and HEAT to the Thunder, the lowest to the Rockets.
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to the Atlanta Hawks (Brian Roberts, Gary Trent Jr., Dewayne Dedmon).
- 2022 — Owed second-rounder from the Denver Nuggets (Bol Manute Bol), may come from the Philadelphia 76ers.
- 2022 — Houston has the right to swap first-rounders with the Miami HEAT (Victor Oladipo). The Rockets get the higher two of the Brooklyn Nets, Heat (top-14 protected) and Rockets. If Miami’s protections kick in, Houston will keep both the Nets’ and their own firsts, and will instead get the lower of the Denver Nuggets or Philadelphia 76ers’ 2022 second-rounder.
- 2022 — Owe second-rounder to the Indiana Pacers (Thaddeus Young).
- 2023 — Owe first-rounder (lottery protected through 2025, unprotected in 2026) to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Jimmy Butler, Paul George).
- 2023 — The higher second-rounder from the Miami HEAT and Dallas Mavericks to the Oklahoma City Thunder. The higher of (the lower second-rounder from Miami and Dallas) and the Houston Rockets (33-60) goes to the Boston Celtics. The pick that does not go to Boston (including Houston 31-32) goes to the Indiana Pacers (Josh McRoberts, Delon Wright, Bruno Caboclo, Desmond Bane, James Johnson, James Harden).
- 2024 — Owe second-rounder (in the 51-55 range) to the Atlanta Hawks (Bol Manute Bol).
- 2024 — Owe second-rounder (not in the 51-55 range) to the New York Knicks (Dwyane Wade, Kevin Porter Jr., Jordan Bone, George Hill).
- 2025 — Owe second-rounder to the Indiana Pacers (Thaddeus Young).
- 2026 — Owe second-rounder to the Indiana Pacers (Thaddeus Young).
- 2027 — Owe second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Trevor Ariza).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $0
- 6/22/21 — NBA Draft Lottery.
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 7/31/21 — Team option deadline for Andre Iguodala.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Max Strus, Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn.
- Note: 2021-22 timing will still need revision with 2020-21 running late.
- 8/1/21 — Final Day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/2/21 — Bam Adebayo’s poison pill expires.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Tyler Herro and Precious Achiuwa.
- 6/29/22 — Player option deadline for Jimmy Butler.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline for KZ Okpala.
- Before the first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Tyler Herro.
- 10/31/22 — Team option on Precious Achiuwa.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadline for Tyler Herro.
- Before the first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Precious Achiuwa
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Precious Achiuwa.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 11/17/20 — Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn’s $1,663,861 guaranteed for 2020-21.
- 11/18/20 — Drafted Precious Achiuwa (2020-20th).
- 11/19/20 — Kelly Olynyk opted into the final year of his contract.
- 11/19/20 — Issued a qualifying offer to Gabe Vincent.
- 11/19/20 — Declined to issue a qualifying offer to Kyle Alexander.
- 11/21/20 — Re-signed Gabe Vincent to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 11/22/20 — Re-signed Goran Dragic to a two-year $37,440,000 contract, team option on the final season.
- 11/22/20 — Re-signed Meyers Leonard to a two-year $19,552,000 contract, team option on the final season.
- 11/23/20 — Signed Avery Bradley to a two-year $11,551,750 contract, team option on the final season.
- 11/23/20 — Signed Mo Harkless to a $3,623,000 contract.
- 11/25/20 — Signed Precious Achiuwa (2020-20th) to a $12,513,127 rookie-scale contract.
- 11/25/20 — Signed Paul Eboua to a $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/25/20 — Signed Breein Tyree to a $898,310 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 11/28/20 — Re-signed Bam Adebayo to a five-year designated maximum extension at a projected $125,903,680. Actual salary to be set at the start of the 2021-22 calendar year. Adebayo can earn 25, 27.5, 28.5 or 30 percent of the salary cap for 2021-22.
- 11/28/20 — Re-signed Udonis Haslem to a $2,564,753 minimum contract.
- 11/30/20 — Signed Max Strus to a $1,445,697 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/4/20 — Signed BJ Johnson to a $1,620,564 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 12/16/20 — Waived Breein Tyree and Paul Eboua (claimed by the Brooklyn Nets).
- 12/19/20 — Converted Max Strus to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 12/19/20 — Waived BJ Johnson.
- 3/17/21 — Renounced the rights to Luke Babbitt.
- 3/17/21 — Traded Meyers Leonard and a 2027 second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Trevor Ariza. The Leonard disabled player exception ($4.7 million) expired.
- 3/22/21 — James Johnson trade exception ($7,533,867) expired.
- 3/25/21 — Renounced the rights to Jordan Mickey.
- 3/25/21 — Traded Mo Harkless and Chris Silva to the Sacramento Kings for Nemanja Bjelica.
- 3/25/21 — Traded Avery Bradley, Kelly Olynyk and swap rights in 2022 to the Houston Rockets for Victor Oladipo. The Rockets get the higher two of the Brooklyn Nets, Heat (top-14 protected) and Rockets. If Miami’s protections kick in, Houston will keep both the Nets’ and their own firsts, and will instead get the lower of the Denver Nuggets or Philadelphia 76ers’ 2022 second-rounder.
- 4/8/21 — Signed Dewayne Dedmon for the rest of the season to a $580,811 minimum contract.
No-Trade: Goran Dragic (One-Year Bird), Udonis Haslem (One-Year Bird), Trevor Ariza (just aggregation restricted)
- Jimmy Butler — 15 percent
- Andre Iguodala — 7.5 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
- Bam Adebayo $28,019,299 (expiring 8/2/21)
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Early Bird: Dwyane Wade*** ($1,620,564)
- Non-Bird: Kyle Alexander (two-way)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Roberto Duenas (1997-58th), George Banks (1995-46th)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Arena: American Airlines Arena
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 4/14/21)