Quick: Over the cap.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): TBD
Roster Count: 14 guaranteed, one non-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: De’Aaron Fox, Davion Mitchell, Jahmi’us Ramsey
SG: Tyrese Haliburton, Buddy Hield, Terence Davis, Robert Woodard II
SF: Harrison Barnes, Louis King (two-way)
PF: Marvin Bagley III, Mo Harkless, Chimezie Metu
C: Richaun Holmes, Tristan Thompson, Alex Len, Damian Jones, Neemias Queta (two-way)
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Cory Joseph, expiring 2/11/22) — $3,600,000
- Trade Exception (Nemanja Bjelica, expiring 2/11/22) — $2,009,019
- Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $5,804,000 (Alex Len)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Chimezie Metu $1,762,796 ($881,398 guaranteed) — 12/1/21
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Marvin Bagley III
- Tyrese Haliburton (third-year)
Waived Players: Justin James
Traded Players: Delon Wright
G-League Affiliate: Stockton Kings (Paul Johnson general manager, Bobby Jackson coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Louis King, Neemias Queta
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Vivek Ranadive
- Monty McNair — general manager
- Wes Wilcox — assistant general manager
- Ken Catanella — assistant general manager
- Joe Dumars — chief strategy officer
- Phil Jabour — vice president of player personnel
- Paul Johnson — vice president of player development
- Robbie Lemons — director of basketball operations
Head Coach: Luke Walton
Assistants: Alvin Gentry (associate head coach), Rex Kalamian, Jesse Mermuys, Roy Rana, Doug Christie, Rico Hines (player development), Stacey Augmon (assistant coach/player development), Lindsey Harding (assistant coach/player development)
Trainers: Teena Murray (vice president, athlete health & performance, Joe Resendez (head athletic trainer), Craig Slaunwhite (head performance & strength coach)
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Atlanta Hawks (Derrick Walton Jr, Mfiondu Kabengele).
- 2022 — The lower second-rounder from the Detroit Pistons and Chicago Bulls (Jameer Nelson, James Ennis, Xavier Tillman Jr, Russell Wetbrook, DeMar DeRozan).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder (top-54 protected) to the New Orleans Pelicans (Mfiondu Kabengele, BJ Boston Jr).
- 2024 — Owed second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Trevor Ariza).
- 2024 — Owe second-rounder to the Detroit Pistons (Delon Wright).
- 2025 — Owed second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Trevor Ariza).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $0
- 10/18/21 — Extension deadline on Marvin Bagley III.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Tyrese Haliburton.
- 12/1/21 — Chimezie Metu’s $1,762,796 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Mo Harkless and Alex Len.
- 1/15/22 — No-trade restrictions lift on Richaun Holmes and Terence Davis.
- 2/11/22 — Nemanja Bjelica and Cory Joseph trade exceptions expire.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline on Marvin Bagley III.
- 6/29/22 — Chimezie Metu’s $1,910,860 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/3/22 — Robert Woodard II’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2022-23 (or third day after the start of the moratorium, if later).
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 7/15/22 — Jahmi’us Ramsey’s 2022-23 salary guarantees for 2022-23.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Tyrese Haliburton and Davion Mitchell.
- 6/29/23 — Team option on Robert Woodard II.
- 7/3/23 — Robert Woodard II’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2023-24 (or the third day after the moratorium, if later).
- Before the first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline on Tyrese Haliburton.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline on Tyrese Haliburton.
- 6/29/24 — Player option for Richaun Holmes.
- Before the first day of the 2024-25 season — Extension deadline on Davion Mitchell.
- 6/29/25 — Qualifying offer deadline on Davion Mitchell.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 6/22/21 — Received the No. 9 pick in the NBA Draft Lottery.
- 7/27/21 — Issued qualifying offer to Terence Davis.
- 7/29/21 — Drafted Davion Mitchell (2021-9th) and Neemias Queta (2021-39th).
- 8/1/21 — Declined to issue a qualifying offer to Kyle Guy.
- 8/5/21 — Signed Davion Mitchell (2021-9th) to a $20,951,517 rookie-scale contract.
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Richaun Holmes to a four-year, $46,522,560 contract (team option on the final season, signed via Early Bird Rights).
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Terence Davis to a two-year $8 million contract via Early Bird Rights.
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Mo Harkless to a two-year $8,912,580 contract via Non-Bird Rights.
- 8/7/21 — Traded Delon Wright to the Atlanta Hawks for Tristan Thompson from the Boston Celtics.
- 8/8/21 — Signed Neemias Queta (2021-39th) to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/9/21 — Damian Jones’ $1,977,011 guaranteed for 2021-22.
- 8/9/21 — Chimezie Metu’s salary guaranteed at $881,398.
- 8/13/21 — Signed Alex Len to a two-year $7,650,600 contract, via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.
- 8/15/21 — Waived Justin James.
- Richaun Holmes — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Vanja Marinkovic (2019-60th), Dimitrios Agravanis (2015-59th), Luka Mitrovic (2015-60th), Alex Oriakhi (2013-57th)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Early Bird: Kyle Guy (two-way), Corey Brewer*** ($1,669,178)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
Arena: Golden 1 Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/30/21)