Quick: Up to $4.2 million under the cap. Currently over via trade exceptions.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Projection for 2021-22 ($112,414,000 cap): Over the cap.
NBA Draft: No. 9 in the lottery; No. 39
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Vanja Marinkovic (2019-60th), Dimitrios Agravanis (2015-59th), Luka Mitrovic (2015-60th), Alex Oriakhi (2013-57th)
Roster Count: Eight guaranteed, three non-guaranteed, one two-way
PG: De’Aaron Fox, Delon Wright, Jahmi’us Ramsey
SG: Tyrese Haliburton, Buddy Hield, Robert Woodard II
SF: Harrison Barnes, Justin James, Louis King (two-way)
PF: Marvin Bagley III, Chimezie Metu
C: Damian Jones
*Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Cory Joseph, expiring 2/11/22) — $3,600,000
- Trade Exception (Nemanja Bjelica, expiring 2/11/22) — $2,009,019
- Projected Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $9,536,000
- Projected Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
* Exact date TBD.
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Damian Jones $1,977,011 — 8/9/21
- Chimezie Metu $1,762,796 — 8/9/21 ($881,398 guarantees)
- Justin James $1,782,621 — 8/15/21
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Early Bird: Richaun Holmes ($6,506,955), Terence Davis (RFA, $1,897,476), Kyle Guy (two-way, RFA, $1,669,178), Corey Brewer*** ($1,669,178)
- Non-Bird: Mo Harkless ($4,347,600), Hassan Whiteside ($1,669,178)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
- Terence Davis $1,897,476
- Kyle Guy $1,669,178 ($84,414 guaranteed)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Marvin Bagley III
- Tyrese Haliburton (third-year)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Stockton Kings (general manager Paul Johnson, Bobby Jackson head coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Louis King
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service. TBD for 2021-22.
Governor: Vivek Ranadive
- Monty McNair — general manager
- Wes Wilcox — assistant general manager
- Ken Catanella — assistant general manager
- Joe Dumars — chief strategy officer
- Phil Jabour — vice president of player personnel
- Paul Johnson — vice president of player development
- Robbie Lemons — director of basketball operations
Head Coach: Luke Walton
Assistants: Alvin Gentry (associate head coach), Rex Kalamian, Jesse Mermuys, Roy Rana, Rico Hines (player development), Stacey Augmon (assistant coach/player development), Lindsey Harding (assistant coach/player development)
Trainers: Teena Murray (vice president, athlete health & performance, Joe Resendez (head athletic trainer), Craig Slaunwhite (head performance & strength coach)
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder (top-55 protected) from the Atlanta Hawks (Derrick Walton Jr, Mfiondu Kabengele).
- 2022 — The Bulls can swap second-rounders with the Detroit Pistons (Jameer Nelson), the lower selection going to the Sacramento Kings (James Ennis, Xavier Tillman Jr)
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder (top-54 protected) to the Los Angeles Clippers (Mfiondu Kabengele).
- 2024 — Owed second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Trevor Ariza).
- 2024 — Owe second-rounder to the Detroit Pistons (Delon Wright).
- 2025 — Owed second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Trevor Ariza).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $1 million from the Houston Rockets (KJ Martin), $2,744,338 from the Los Angeles Clippers (Mfiondu Kabengele) — $1.872,662 remaining
- 7/25/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Chimezie Metu and Damian Jones.
- 7/29/21 — NBA Draft.
- 7/31/21 — Qualifying offer deadline on Terence Davis.
- 8/1/21 — Final day of 2020-21 season.
- 8/2/21 — Start of 2021-22 season and moratorium.
- 8/5/21 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 8/6/21 — Free agents can sign as of 12:01 PM ET.
- 8/9/21 — Damian Jones’ $1,977,011 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 8/9/21 — Chimezie Metu’s salary guarantees at $881,398.
- 8/15/21 — Justin James’ $1,782,621 guarantees for 2021-22 season.
- Before first day of the 2021-22 season — Extension deadline on Marvin Bagley III.
- 10/31/21 — Team option on Tyrese Haliburton.
- 12/1/21 — Chimezie Metu’s $1,762,796 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 2/11/22 — Nemanja Bjelica and Cory Joseph trade exceptions expire.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline on Marvin Bagley III.
- 6/29/22 — Chimezie Metu’s $1,910,860 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 7/3/22 — Robert Woodard II’s $1,782,621 guarantees for 2022-23 (or third day after the start of the moratorium, if later).
- 7/15/22 — Jahmi’us Ramsey’s 2022-23 salary guarantees for 2022-23.
- 10/31/22 — Team option on Tyrese Haliburton.
- 6/29/23 — Team option on Robert Woodard II.
- 7/3/23 — Robert Woodard II’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2023-24 (or the third day after the moratorium, if later).
- Before the first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadline on Tyrese Haliburton.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline on Tyrese Haliburton.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 6/22/21 — Received the No. 9 pick in the NBA Draft Lottery.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
- De’Aaron Fox — $28,516,655 (expiring 8/2/21)
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: Golden 1 Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 7/2/21)