Virginia Online Sports Betting – Best Online VA Sportsbooks – Claim $5,000+ in Bonus!
Virginia sports betting continues to thrive in the Old Dominion State. Residents of the Commonwealth can enjoy whole sports betting access through sports betting apps and online betting sites. VA doesn’t have any physical casinos.
This guide will review the five best Virginia sports betting sites and explain everything you need to know about sports betting in VA. We also compare Virginia’s online sports gambling to neighboring states.
50% up to $1000 Welcome Bonus
150% Match On The First Deposit Up To $150
$750 Welcome Bonus (3 x $250 Bonuses)
50% Welcome Deposit Bonus up to $1000
150% Deposit Bonus up to $2500
Get a Welcome Bonus of up to $750
125% Sign Up Bonus Up To $2,500
50% Welcome Deposit Bonus Up To $500 + $10 Casino Chip
50% Sports Welcome Bonus Up To $1000
50% First Time Deposit Match Up To $1000
Virginia Sports Betting at a Glance
Virginia legalized sports betting in 2021, however, for over a year it was only online betting as there were no brick-and-mortar sites until mid-2022 when the first casino opened. The current sports betting market in the state is outlined below.
- Legal Sports Betting: In-Person (inland), Online/Mobile (inland and offshore)
- Minimum Sports Betting Age in Virginia: 21 (inland), 18 (through offshore sites)
- Offline Betting in Person: Yes at 2 locations currently with 2 more under construction
- Online Sportsbooks: Inland and via offshore
- Live/In-Play Betting: Offshore
- College Sports Betting: Inland (but cannot bet on in-state teams and no prop bets), Offshore (available)
- Horse racing: Inland and Offshore
- Estimated Sports Betting Revenue: Roughly $3 million
- Permitted Sports Betting Operators: 14 including DraftKings, Bet365, and BetMGM
- Licensing Fee: $250,000 for a three-year license
- Tax Rate: 15%
- Tax Funded: 97.5% State general fund, 2.5% Problem Gambling Treatment and Support Fund
Timeline: Legal Virginia Sports Betting Movements
Since so much has changed in the Virginia online sports betting landscape in recent years, let’s review the timeline of recent events:
- 2023, January: Senator Jeremy S. McPike introduces SB 1142 Sports betting: adjusted gross revenue, seeking to undo prior legislation which does not allow operators to deduct promotions when calculating adjusted gross revenue.
- 2022, April 1st: Virginia’s sportsbooks tallied over $400 million in the month of February alone.
- 2022, March 31st: The Hard Rock Sportsbook goes live in Virginia. Hard Rock is opening a land-based casino in Bristol, Virginia this July.
- 2022, February 25th: A Senate bill to overturn the ban on betting on in-state colleges dies in Virginia’s state House.
- 2022, February 15th: A bill terminating promotional deductions by mobile betting operators after one calendar year dies in the state committee.
- 2022, February 10th: Virginia’s Senate unanimously passed SB 96, penalizing sportsbooks and casinos for using the catchphrase “Virginia is for Bettors.”
- 2022, February 2nd: A Virginia House committee terminates a bill that would permit betting on in-state college games.
- 2022, January 28th: Gov. Glenn Youngkin appoints Kelly Gee to Executive Director of the Virginia Lottery.
- 2022, January 12th: The Virginia Lottery notes that the Betway and Sports Illustrated sportsbooks, will launch by April 2022.
- 2021, December 15th: PointsBet formally launches its Virginia-based app, becoming the 11th sportsbook app in Virginia.
- 2021, November 24th: BallyBet becomes the 10th sportsbook app to open in Virginia.
- 2021, November 23rd: PointsBet procures one of the five remaining sports betting licenses in the Commonwealth.
- 2021 (November): Richmond will vote on whether to allow a casino in the city. If successful, it would mark Virginia’s 5th under development.
- 2021, January: Virginia officially launches sanctioned sports gambling. Prominent Daily Fantasy Sports companies like FanDuel, DraftKings, BetMGM, and BetRivers are slated to open to Virginian bettors that month.
- 2020, November: Voters in Norfolk, Bristol, Danville, and Portsmouth approved casinos in those cities in 4 separate referendums. Casinos are expected to open in 2023.
- 2020, April: The Virginia legislature legalized physical and online sports betting in Virginia after the success of historical horse racing in the state became clear.
- 2020, March: The Virginia legislature voted to allow casinos in 5 cities that meet the criteria for poverty and population loss. Eligible cities would be required to hold a referendum before moving forward with opening casinos.
- 2019, April: Colonial Downs, Virginia’s only thoroughbred horse racing track, began holding live races again after a 6-year closure.
The Best Virginia Online Sports Betting Sites List 2023
Here are the best Virginia sports betting online sites for 2023:
- BetOnline – Top Virginia sports betting site overall
- Bovada – Best Virginia sports betting online site
- MyBookie – Virginia sportsbook best for Bitcoin promos
- Everygame – Wide variety of sports with great in-play betting features
- XBet – Best new Virginia sports betting site
- Lucky Block – Fast withdrawals and great VIP program
- BetUS – Virginia sportsbook with biggest bonuses
- BetNow – Excellent markets on major sporting contests
- BUSR – Solid Virginia sportsbook and racebook
- Jazz Sports – Competitive bonus and user-friendly Virginia betting site
Best Virginia Sportsbooks Reviewed
Want to learn more about the best Virginia sportsbooks? We’ve put together detailed reviews of our top picks:
1. BetOnline – Top Virginia Sports Betting Site Overall
One of the best sports betting VA sites around, BetOnline is one of the longest-established sportsbooks, as it was founded in 2001. We can instantly see why this VA sports site is so appealing, you can wager on a huge range of sports, it offers extremely competitive promotions, and is known for speedy payouts.
The main feature here is the hefty welcome bonus offer, you are able to claim up to a mammoth $1000! If this wasn’t enticing enough, there are also a range of casino, poker and cryptocurrency offers to choose from.
BetOnline also offers a vast choice of sportsbooks market. This covers the main popular sports like baseball, basketball, and soccer to horse racing, tennis, golf, and martial arts.
This top Virginia sports betting site also has a significant NBA live betting feature, so if you fancy a live in-play bet, you can do so without missing a thing. With all things considered, BetOnline is our best-recommended site for legal sports betting in Virginia.
What we like:
- Massive welcome bonus – up to $1,000!
- Large range of sports to wager on
- Prominent and reliable sports betting site
- Speedy payouts
What we don’t:
- Doesn’t support PayPal
2. Bovada – Great Virginia Sports Betting Online Site
Bovada is one of the largest sports betting sites around. It too offers all of the popular mainstream sports as well as a good selection of Esports. Bovada has a great HD live streaming service to support live betting so that you can place in-game wagers in real-time.
This site is well is known for its intuitive prop betting markets and features. Bettors can even construct their own wagers using the building feature, “What’s Ya Wager.” Users can customize an assortment of player props as well as team props, including team totals.
If you’re looking for a sportsbook that offers a large range of promotions, then Bovada is the one for you. Their offer is a generous crypto deposit match bonus for all new bettors, which you can claim now with the Bovada promo code. A fiat payment match is also available although the amount is lower.
Bovada also offers an immense 75% up to $750 bitcoin bonus, one of the largest around. With the big bitcoin bonuses and fast crypto payouts, Bovada is one of the best bitcoin betting sites available in Virginia right now.
What we like:
- Top bitcoin offers
- Live betting and streaming service
- Comprehensive sports coverage
What we don’t:
- Lower bonus available for cash deposits
3. MyBookie – Best VA Sports Betting App
MyBookie is another popular sports betting VA site popular among bettors. It has an impressive mobile platform and is well established as of the best Virginia sports betting apps available since, though not technically an app, it works seamlessly on your browser.
As well as covering a hefty amount of sports, the bookie also has a great ‘Top Bets’ feature, enabling bettors to get great insights and look at the top betting picks. With a good mixture of wager options, you can place your bets on all major sports such as the NFL, NCAA, NBA, hockey, motorsports, and much more, including the Olympics.
This popular VA sportsbook also offers a generous promo of a 100% deposit match bonus of up to $1,000, much like BetOnline. However, if Bitcoin is your preference then we’ve got you covered as there is a great bitcoin promo with a bonus of up to $1,000 at MyBookie, too!
What we like:
- Excellent mobile app platform
- Multiple sports and promo offers available
- Supports crypto payments
What we don’t:
- Small choice of Esports
4. Everygame – Wide Variety of Sports with Great In-Play Betting Features
Everygame is one of the top Virginia sportsbooks and goes out of its way to accommodate the American bettor. You can tell that much from its heavy coverage of popular US sporting events. The NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB all are extensively covered. It’s offering of other sports is also solid with soccer, golf, volleyball, cricket, etc. available to bet on.
Covering a long list of betting lines is only the tip of the iceberg. Everygame throws in quality odds on all major sports to give players a rewarding wagering experience.
A Virginia online sports betting site that continuously seeks ways to adapt to the latest betting trends, Everygame serves up a fully-fledged live betting section that allows players to place in-play bets on a wide range of sports. Their multiview feature makes tracking and betting on multiple matches at the same time incredibly easy.
Everygame boasts one of the longest lists of payment methods giving players plenty of options to pick what’s comfortable for them. New players have three opportunities to boost their player funds with the three-tier 100% up to $750 welcome bonus. For each deposit you make, the operator doubles your funds up to $250.
The inclusive bonus also accommodates players who wish to unlock it using cryptocurrency. Just make sure you insert the respective Everygame promo code to unlock each deposit bonus.
What we like:
- Accepts both traditional and cryptocurrency
- Generous welcome offer
- Intuitive mobile betting site
- Great in-play betting
What we don’t:
- No live streaming
5. XBet – Best New Virginia Sports Betting Site
Last but not least, another top sportsbook worth considering is XBet, one of the most popular new betting sites in Virginia. Their sign-up bonus is up to $500 which is lower when compared to others but this sports betting site shouldn’t be overlooked.
XBet offers a tempting refer a friend promotion with unlimited $100 bonuses on offer, on top of that you can claim up to a 7% daily cash rebate when you wager on races on qualifying tracks, and it’s paid daily too!
The bookie also has an all-new, state-of-the-art betting app, which allows you to place live bets on the go! Making it popular for Virginia mobile sports betting, XBet is also renowned for its customer support, which is available 24/7.
When it comes to payment and withdrawals, there are a good variety of supported methods such as popular cryptocurrencies Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, and Litecoin, as well as credit or debit cards. All of which come with fast payout times!
What we like:
- Unlimited 100% referral bonuses
- Fast payouts and extensive payment options
- Impressive betting app
What we don’t:
- Smaller sign-up bonus than others
6. BetUS – Virginia Sportsbook with Biggest Bonuses and Promo Codes
BetUS is one of the leading online sports betting Virginia sites, founded in 1994 and supporting over 1 million clients. You can wager on a vast amount of sports, from all of the mainstays such as football, basketball, hockey, and baseball to some of the less mainstream sports like esports, table tennis, and motorsports. There’s something for everyone at BetUS.
This top VA sports betting site is by far the most generous in its promotions. If you join now with the BetUS promo code JOIN125, you can bag yourself a 125% deposit match bonus – worth up to $3,125! It’s also worth noting that this includes a combined 100% sports bonus and a 25% casino bonus, giving you even more options to bet on anything you like.
Another thing we like about BetUS is their news and analysis sections, you’ll never miss out on breaking Virginia sports betting news or the latest odds when using this VA sportsbook.
What we like:
- Largest offering of promotions and bonuses
- Excellent and responsive customer service
- Latest sports and gambling news and articles
What we don’t:
- Low Esports coverage
7. BetNow – Excellent Markets on Major Sporting Contests
BetNow is a relatively new Virginia sports betting site, but it has already managed to establish a loyal fanbase. Besides having a competitive overall gambling product, the bookie has excellent BetNow promo codes with low rollover requirements. So, whether you’re only just signing up or you’ve been wagering at the sportsbook for a while, you’ll find top value.
Virginians are offered a quality gambling experience of all major US leagues: NBA, NFL,NHL MLB, etc. They have some of the best moneylines on the NFL. Whenever there is a major sporting contest, BetNow has a whole host of available markets coupled with very competitive odds.
BetNow offers simple and easy-to-use live betting on a well-designed web interface. Their spreads and totals are constantly updated and any bets are graded and credited to your account in real time. For these reasons, it’s one of the most user-friendly sites to wager on in-play action.
Another area BetNow shines is its banking options. You can deposit via a wide range of payment processors, including major credit cards like Visa, Mastercard, and American Express. Bitcoin is one of the few crypto options available. The minimum deposit amount is a reasonable $20 and bettors can deposit as much as $40,000 at a time.
What we like:
- User-friendly website
- Great value on the NFL
- Generous promo codes
- Flexible banking options
What we don’t:
- Limited coverage of non-US sports
More on gambling in Virginia…
Learn about all types of online gambling in VA in our expert guides below:
- Virginia Real Money Online Casinos
- Virginia Online Casino Apps
- Virginia Online Poker
- Virginia Online Gambling
- Virginia Horse Racing
- Virginia Sports Betting Apps
- Virginia Lottery
Virginia Sportsbooks Comparison List
To help you decide which VA online sports betting platform is right for you, we’ve put together a handy VA sportsbook comparison table, with the latest promo codes and welcome bonuses:
Sportsbook Sign-Up Bonus Bonus Code Sports to bet on Live Betting Live Streaming BetOnline 50% up to $1,000 INSIDERS 30+ ✅ ✅ Bovada 75% 3x up to $750 N/A 30+ ✅ ✅ MyBookie 50% up to $1,000 INSIDERS 25+ ✅ ❌ Everygame 3x $250 up to $750 INSIDERS 30+ ✅ ❌ XBet 50% up to $500 INSIDEX 25+ ✅ ❌ Lucky Block 200% Bonus up to 10,000 EUR + 50 Free Spins N/A 40+ ✅ ✅ BetUS 125% up to $2,500 INSIDERS 25+ ✅ ✅ BetNow 150% up to $150 INSIDERS 12+ ✅ ❌ BUSR 150% up to $2, 500 INSIDER150 20+ ✅ ❌ Jazz Sports 50% up to $1,000 INSIDERS 15+ ✅ ✅
Discover Our Top Betting GuidesOffshore BettingOn the lookout for the best Offshore Betting Site? We have you covered, our guide compares the best gambling sites, providing top-tier bonus codes & more.Offshore BettingCash Out BettingJoin us as we look at the best Cash Out Betting Sites in the USA, providing useful tips, in-depth explanations and bonus codes.Cash Out BettingNew SportsbooksDon't miss out on the best New Sportsbooks in the USA 2023. Our guide covers everything you need to know, the latest features, bonus codes, & so much more.New SportsbooksHigh Limit BettingOur guide covers the best High Limit sportsbooks. Favoring those with the highest deposit limits, the largest welcome bonuses, and the best limits per wage.High Limit BettingSportsbooksDiscover more about the world of Sportsbook betting sites, reviewing the top 10 sites, where sports betting is legal, different types of bets, and much more.SportsbooksBetting AppsDo you prefer betting on your mobile? Explore betting on the go with our list of top-rated betting apps, featuring comparisons, top bonus codes, and more.Betting AppseSports BettingIn this guide, we cover everything you need to know about esports betting, from where it’s legal to what games are popular, to the top eSports betting sites.eSports BettingBest Sportsbooks on RedditThe Best Sportsbooks on Reddit - See which betting sites Reddit users rated as being the best. Join Today for $1,000 Bonuses and Free Bets!Sportsbooks on Reddit
Who can Bet on Sports in Virginia?
VA doesn’t have any land-based casinos at this time, but that is subject to change. Virginians can now travel to a legal sports betting state or use one of the Commonwealth’s legal sports betting apps.
Another possibility is signing up for offshore sportsbooks like the ones listed in this article. Just remember that Virginians must be at least 18 years old to do so.
How to Bet on Sports in Virginia
Virginians have no shortage of betting apps in the state and offshore sportsbooks to make their bets. We highlight how the Old Dominion State residents can swiftly make their sports wagers.
1. Take the Time to Read the Sportsbook’s Rules
By in large, betting sites operate with the same framework of rules and operations. But, we highly recommend Virginians take the time to understand their chosen sportsbook’s rules and terms.
Maintaining your account in good standing goes a long way to keep receiving lucrative sports bonuses and a chance to rack up sports gambling winnings. Betting sites like BetOnline keep their rules and terms and conditions links in the footer.
2. Register at The Sportsbook
When you are ready to join a sports betting site, the registration process is straightforward. Our elite offshore sportsbooks all offer a user-friendly registration system. This process only takes minutes with a reliable internet connection. Typically, you can find the registration or join button at the top of the screen.
3. Know Your Sports Bet
Online betting sites have many sports betting options to meet their members’ needs. But before you make that deposit and fill out that bet slip, we strongly recommend that you brush up on the different sports bets. BetOnline for example, offers live bets, multiple parlay bets, Moneyline bets, and more.
4. Determine your Bankroll
Sports gambling can be rewarding, fun and addicting. We recommend that you determine beforehand your limits so you can keep your wagers under control.
5. Make the Deposit
Online betting sites feature multiple banking options for their members to get into the game swiftly. Virginians can deposit with credit cards, cryptocurrencies, wire transfer services, and perhaps eWallets depending on the sportsbook.
6. Redeem One of the Awesome Sports Promotions
Virginians have access to some potent sports promotions to swing the winning bet in their favor. Our distinguished sportsbooks have sports welcome bonuses, reloads, horse racing bets, and seasonal contests. In addition, BetOnline and Bovada offer extensive crypto sports bonuses.
7. Fill Out the Bet Slip
Offshore sportsbooks feature interactive betting slips. When you are ready to place your particular bet, like hedge bets and underdog wagers, you select that along with the amount on the bet slip. In addition, betting sites have sports glossaries to help you best calculate bets with the latest odds. Also, you can review your entire bet history.
Is Sports Betting Legal in Virginia?
Sports betting was legalized in VA in April 2020 and officially launched at the beginning of 2021. Currently, 11 online sportsbooks are operating in the state, and several more are slated to launch later this year.
While both online and in-person sports betting were legalized, only online sports betting is available in Virginia right now.
This is because casinos were only legalized in the state in 2020, and none have yet been built. It’s expected that casinos will open in five of Virginia’s biggest cities – Norfolk, Bristol, Richmond, Danville, and Portsmouth. These same casinos are expected to host retail sportsbooks once they launch.
It’s worth noting that while online sports betting and off-track horse betting are legal, betting on in-state college games is still prohibited. However, there is legislation in the works to allow for bets on their state college teams without going to an offshore betting site.
Sports Betting Guides State by StateWestSouthWestMidWestNorthEastSouthEast
When will Betting be Legal in Virginia?
Betting in Virginia is already legal. The state passed swooping legislation in 2020 to sanction sports gambling. The caveats are Virginians can only do it online, and they can’t gamble on Virginia’s college teams. For that, they must rely on sports betting sites like the ones mentioned in this article.
April 2020, the Year Sports Betting Became Legal in Virginia
Virginia’s State legislature approved state-wide sports betting, and the bill was signed into law by former Governor Ralph Northam. At this moment, there are no physical casinos/bookmakers currently ready to accept retail sports bets though.
Prominent sportsbook apps like BetMGM are capitalizing mightily on sanctioned sports gambling in the Commonwealth. This is also true for titan Daily Fantasy Sports companies like DraftKings.
Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia has cast doubts about opening a casino in Richmond. According to his office – “He voted against the casino proposal. He believes there are better ways to enhance economic development in Richmond.”
Previous Sports Betting Bills in Virginia
The Old Dominion State didn’t procrastinate to bring organized sports gambling to its residents in 2020. We highlight the key bills for you.
- SJR24 – One of two bills submitted to the state legislature to create a gaming commission committee to oversee sports betting in Virginia
- HJR63 – Accompanies bill SJR24 to further create a commission to oversee Virginia’s sports gambling
- House Bill 1103 – Would prohibit sportsbook operators from excluding promotions and bonuses from taxable revenue during the first 12 months
- SB96 – A bill that bans gaming business from using the slogan “Virginia is for Bettors”
- HB896 – A bill directing Virginia’s Lottery to regulate sports gambling
- SB384 – An identical bill to HB896 that also calls for the Virginia Lottery to regulate sports betting
Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in Virginia
Virginia sports betting winnings must be reported on state and federal taxes. The income tax rate is usually 2-5%.
Virginians only have to report net winnings. However, you can’t offset gambling losses against other income to reduce your taxes if you lose money while betting on sports.
Read Our Sportsbook Payment GuideseCheck SportsbooksDiscover more as we reveal the best eCheck betting sites available; individually ranked, listing the pros and cons of each sportsbook.eCheckCash Out SportsbooksJoin us as we help you understand cash out betting, all whilst providing you with the best ranked and reviewed sportsbooks to use for cashouts & more.Cash OutBitcoin SportsbooksFind out the best sportsbooks and betting sites for bitcoin, and learn all about the best welcome bonuses, rebates, bitcoin terminology and much more.BitcoinCryptocurrencyWe unpack leading crypto sportsbooks & crypto betting site features, including platform reviews, deposit & withdrawal methods, welcome offers & more.Cryptocurrency
Payment Methods Available at Virginia Online Sports Betting Sites
Real sports bet winnings require real money. Offshore sportsbooks avail many payment methods to their members. The normal methods include credit cards and debit cards, Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, and eWallets. Most betting sites also have wire transfer and money transfer services.
Crypto Betting Options
Bitcoin is a prominent payment for sportsbooks in Virginia. Elite betting sites like Bovada and BetOnline, our number one ranked site, feature extensive crypto promotions. It is also common to have Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Dogecoin, and several others.
eWallet Betting Options
eWallets like Neteller and Skrill are also widely available at offshore sportsbooks. Bovada offers these plus PayPal to help Virginian sports fans place their bets. Setting up an eWallet is free and only requires an email account and financing.
Traditional Payment Methods at Virginia Betting Sites
While you’re free to use crypto, the payment bedrock for sports betting is the credit card. Visa and MasterCard are the usual options, but betting sites like BetOnline and Bovada also offer American Express and Discover Card. After registration, we recommend submitting a credit authorization form to the cashier so you can use credit cards.
Bonuses Available at Virginia Sportsbooks
Virginians can place a slew of sports bets at their preferred sportsbook betting site. Remember, there are many sports promotions for new members and all members. We highlight the common sports bets at your disposal.
The Sports Welcome
New sportsbook members are greeted with a bountiful sports welcome bonus. Our touted betting sites all offer competitive sports welcomes. Bovada extends a $250 welcome. BetOnline delivers a 50% matching bonus up to $1,000.
The Sports Reload Prize
All offshore sportsbook members have access to a sports reload or a sports rebate prize. These bonuses are designed to keep members placing bets, especially if they’ve racked up enough losses. BetOnline has a 25% sports reload package.
Horse Racing Rewards
Racetracks are a fixture at betting sites. Like sportsbooks, betting sites like XBet and BetOnline offer a horse rebate prize. The horse rebate awards members a percentage of losses. BetOnline, our top choice, has a 9% daily horse rebate and a $25 risk-free bet. The risk-free bet applies to a member’s first bet on a horse racing meet.
In addition to offering several cryptocurrencies, offshore sportsbooks offer crypto bonuses like the ones featured here. Bovada, for example, has a $750 welcome bonus using Bitcoin.
Grab The Best Promo Codes With Our ReviewsBetonline Promo CodeUnlock the latest BetOnline Promo Codes through the power of our dedicated guide. Discover everything you need to know, from promo codes to withdrawal methods!BetonlineMyBookie Promo CodeClaim some of the best and most exciting promo codes with our MyBookie Guide. We walk you through the best bonuses, all while explaining everything inbetween.MyBookieBusr Promo CodeJoin us as we explore one of our top-rated sportsbook & online casino, BUSR. Providing you with the best BUSR promotions and bonus codes, and so much more.BusrBovada Promo CodeDiscover everything you must know about the latest promo codes at Bovada, we cover everything from welcome bonuses, and opportunities to boost your wagers.BovadaBetus Promo CodeExplore the world of BetUS, with our all-inclusive review. Covering everything you need to know, and providing our readers with the best and newest promo codes.BetusXBet Promo CodesCheck out XBet Sporsbook, with our full review. Learn about the betting site, and grab all the latest bonus code, including an 100% bonus for new players.XBetEverygame Promo CodesFind out how Everygame has created one of the biggest and best promo packs in the online gambling sector. Check out our review for the latest tips & top info.Everygame
Popular Sports to Bet on in Virginia
The Old Dominion State is a powerhouse for college sports, in particular college football. If you are planning on betting on in-state college teams, Virginians must rely on an offshore sportsbook. We highlight the top sports for Virginians to bet on.NBAA comprehensive guide to betting on the NBA at the best betting sites in the US, featuring detailed reviews of the sportsbooks, lines, and odds.NBA BettingUFCEverything you need to know about betting on the world's most popular MMA organization, the UFC. Discover the best UFC sportsbooks and learn about the markets.UFC BettingMLBWhether it's the run line or parlay betting on the World Series, our MLB betting guide details everything you need to know about baseball betting in the US.MLB BettingNHLSkate over to the top hockey sportsbooks and claim huge bonuses when you register. Read up on puck line betting and other popular NHL betting markets.NHL BettingHorse RacingUnsure how to wager a trifecta at Preakness Stakes, or a quinella at Belmont? Our detailed horse racing betting guides will reveal all.Horse Racing BettingNFLA complete guide to betting on America's Game. Learn how NFL odds and markets work, read our reviews of the top NFL sportsbooks and prepare to beat the spread.NFL BettingNCAABFrom the NBA Draft to March Madness and everything in between, our NCAAB betting guide sets out the key components to betting on college basketball.NCAAB BettingEsportsDiscover the best esports betting sites for the world's most popular games: CS:GO, FIFA, CoD, WoW, and more. Use promo codes to claim rewards when you sign up.Esports BettingTennisOur team of betting experts presents a comprehensive overview of tennis betting markets, odds, key dates, and the best tennis sportsbooks in the USA.Tennis BettingGolfHoping to bet on The Masters, Ryder Cup, or US Open this year? Read our comprehensive golf betting guides first to increase your chances of success.Golf BettingPoliticsPlenty of sportsbooks now offer politics betting markets. Learn how to profit during the elections and claim lucrative sign-up bonuses when you register.Politics BettingBoxingLearn how to profit from the sweet science by reading our detailed boxing betting guide. Swing the odds back in your favor with reload bonuses and free bets.Boxing Betting
Catch the Winning Touchdown with NFL Betting
Virginians can get in on the fabulous NFL betting on sanctioned sportsbook apps and from our partner betting sites. We are strong on BetOnline through its player props bets, teasers, and sophisticated live betting feature.
Virginia doesn’t have a professional NFL team. Due to its proximity to Washington D.C, Virginians can root and gamble on the Washington Commanders.
Shoot and Score with Fantastic NBA Bets
Residents of the Commonwealth can make several NBA bets on their favorite team. During playoff season, prominent sportsbooks like BetOnline offer NBA contests like the NBA Finals.
Despite being the 12th most populated state in the union, VA doesn’t have a NBA team. Virginians can support and gamble on the Washington Wizards.
Get a Base Hit with MLB Betting
The Old Dominion State permits Virginians to gamble on their favorite Major League Baseball team. We highly recommend Virginians register with BetOnline to cash in on their sports bets. BetOnline offers Moneyline bets and different spread betting options.
Virginia doesn’t currently have a Major League Baseball team, This doesn’t stop Virginians from placing wagers on their favorite teams, including the neighboring Washington Nationals.
Score the Puck with NHL Sports Gambling
Virginians can choose any of our listed betting sites to place many rewarding NHL bets. Premier sportsbooks like BetOnline offer NHL future bets, and several European leagues to gamble on.
At this moment, VA doesn’t have a professional hockey team.
Rebound with the Winning NCAA Basketball Wager
While the Commonwealth doesn’t have any professional teams, it is rich in college basketball history. If you live in VA and plan to place bets on college teams in your state, you must do so at an offshore sportsbook. We recommend BetOnline, and we list the major college basketball teams in Virginia.
- University of Virginia – The Cavaliers compete in the Atlantic Coast Conference and are the alma mater of former NBA great Ralph Sampson
- Virginia Military Institute – The Keydets are reputable college program in the American East Conference
- University of Richmond – The Spiders compete in the Atlantic 10 Conference
- College of William & Mary – Virginians can bet on the unheralded Tribe basketball team
- George Mason – The Patriots play out of Fairfax, Virginia
- Hampton University – The Pirates are rivals with Norfolk State University
- James Madison University – The Dukes present a solid option for Virginia sports bets
- Liberty University – The Flames have produced many NBA players
- Norfolk State University – A historically black college and in-state rival of Hampton University
- Old Dominion University – The Monarchs play in Norfolk, Virginia
- Virginia Tech University – The Hokies basketball team have 11 NCAA tournament appearances
During March Madness, our partner betting sites feature tournament bracket contests. In addition, these same colleges and betting sites allow wagers on women’s college basketball.
Tackle the Winning Sports Bet with College Football
Virginians can enjoy watching and gambling on college football at our esteemed betting sites. We ride high with BetOnline to place various college football bets. BetOnline allows Virginians to get on the next FBS champion and the Heisman winner.
We highlight the illustrious college football teams in Virginia.
- University of Virginia – The Cavaliers are 8-13 in bowl games
- College of William & Mary – The Tribe gives Virginians reliable betting options
- Hampton University – The Pirates compete in the Big South Conference
- James Madison University – The Dukes play in the Sunbelt Conference
- Liberty University – The Flames have three consecutive FBS bowl appearances
- Norfolk State University – The Spartans compete in the Football Championship Subdivision
- Old Dominion University – The Monarchs will play in the Sunbelt Conference in 2022
- University of Richmond – The Spiders football team are rivals with College of William & Mary
- Virginia Military Institute – The football program dates back to 1891
- Virginia Tech University – The Hokies is the alma mater of former NFL quarterback Michael Vick
Get on Par with Golf Bets
Virginia offers state golf tournaments to get into the golf betting game. BetOnline currently has golf contest promotions to bolster your wins during the Masters and the PGA action from the Middle Atlantic.
Gallop to the finish line with Horse Racing Wagers
Virginians also have access to all the premier horse race gambling action. Our betting sites feature competitive horse racing tracks. BetOnline offers extensive daily tracks, horse racing glossaries and access to national races like the Kentucky Derby.
In-person and off-track betting in Virginia have been legal for decades. However, there wasn’t much opportunity to bet on racing in the state after Colonial Downs, Virginia’s only thoroughbred horse track, closed its doors in 2014.
- Colonial Downs – Operates in New Kent, Virginia. It only accepts off-track horse racing bets.
Bet on Your Dream Lineup
When Virginia officially legalized sports gambling, Daily Fantasy Sports companies like FanDuel were the first to open sportsbooks in the Commonwealth. Here are some of the notable Daily Fantasy Sportsbooks in Virginia.
- DraftKings – Enjoys a large share of Virginia sports wagers
- FanDuel – One of the first sportsbooks to operate in Virginia
Live Betting with Virginia Online Sports Betting Sites
Virginia sportsbook permits bets on games that are currently in progress. Betting sites have up-to-the-minute odds to help you place accurate prop bets throughout the game. We recommend BetOnline for live betting because it also offers live streaming on iPhones and Android devices.
Learn More About Betting With BBI GuidesMoneyline BettingDelve into the concepts behind moneyline, including its calculator, spread comparisons, which online sportsbooks offer the best moneyline promotions, and more.Moneyline BettingPoints Spread BettingJoin us as we explore top spread betting sites, provide examples and detailed explanations at every turn to help increase your success rate, and more!Points Spread BettingOver Under BettingDiscover everything you need to know about Over Under Betting, from the best sportsbooks, how you can make more informed picks, and much more.Over Under BettingFutures BettingJoin us and learn about futures betting, how it works, how best to make money from futures betting and answer questions regarding this bet type, and more.Futures BettingHandicap BettingExplore how handicap betting works, which betting sites are best for handicap betting, strategies that will allow you to win more from these bets & more.Handicap BettingHedge BettingLearn how hedge sports betting works, where you can apply a hedge bet, which sports it works best with & how you can make guaranteed profits with hedge betting.Hedge BettingLive Sports BettingDiscover the top 10 best sportsbooks with live sports betting, the legality of live sports betting, some of the best bonuses out there and so much more.Live Sports BettingParlay Betting GuideExplore our parlay betting guide & learn everything from, what a parlay bet is, the different types, the best sportsbooks for parlay betting, the risks, & more.Parlay Betting GuidePolitics BettingJoin us as we highlight the politics betting sites that you can sign up with, as well creating an in-depth guide related to all things politics betting.Politics Betting
Bets that are Illegal in Virginia?
VA has very few limits on what types of sports you can bet on. So you’re free to bet on the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL, plus popular sports like soccer, Aussie rules football, rugby, UFC, MMA, etc.
You can also bet on college sports, although this is one area where there are some restrictions. Virginia doesn’t allow sports betting on VA college teams. In addition, live betting on college sports is prohibited, even if you want to bet on teams outside Virginia.
How Virginia Online Sports Betting Compares to Neighboring States
Virginians can enjoy competitive sports gambling within the state. Washington D.C sportbooks is another option for Virginians. Maryland sportsbooks are legal to its neighboring Virginians, and it accepts college wagers.
Residents of the Commonwealth can also turn to North Carolina sportsbooks to meet their sports gambling needs. Currently, North Carolina only has two casinos that accept sports wagers. Virginians can also head to the Volunteer State to get into the exciting Tennessee sportsbooks.
Casinos with Sports Betting in Virginia
There are currently no physical sportsbooks at VA casinos because there aren’t any physical casinos in the state just yet. 4 cities have approved plans to build casinos, and Richmond is holding a referendum on the topic this fall. Once the casinos are built, you can expect sportsbooks in the following cities:
- Bristol (Hard Rock Hotel and Casino)
- Danville (Caesars Casino)
- Norfolk (HeadWaters Resort & Casino)
- Portsmouth (Rivers Casino)
More on Virginia Gambling
VA opens the door for a slew of gambling options like poker. We highlight the essential gambling options in the Old Dominion State.
VA Legislative Resources
For residents of Virginia interested in finding out more information on current legislation to do with sports betting and gambling in the state or would like to contact local and state representatives to express their opinions or concerns on the subject they can use the links below.
VA Gambling Resources
If you believe that you or someone you know has a gambling problem, then we encourage you to get in contact with the NCPG Virginia or DBHDS Problem Gambling Virginia at the links below, they can provide advice and local information, and treatment services in your area.
- NCPG Problem Gambling Resources in Virginia
- DBHDS office of recovery services Problem Gambling Virginia
Best Virginia Online Sports Betting Site
Sports betting has taken off in Virginia since it first launched in 2021. There are now over a dozen VA sports betting sites and physical sportsbooks and more are on the way.
Ready to start betting on sports in Virginia? Sign up with BetOnline, our number one choice to claim your $1,000 welcome bonus, and place your first wager today!
50% up to $1000 Welcome Bonus
Where can I bet on sports in Virginia?
You can bet on sports in Virginia with over a dozen online sportsbooks, such as BetMGM, DraftKings, and BetRivers. Physical sportsbooks are expected to launch in Virginia in 2023.
Who oversees VA sports betting?
The Virginia Lottery is responsible for regulating sports betting in Virginia, so you’ll want to look out for Virginia Lottery sports betting sites
Is mobile sports betting available in Virginia?
Yes, mobile sports betting is legal in Virginia and is offered by online sportsbooks like BetMGM, FanDuel, and DraftKings.
What is the legal gambling age in Virginia?
Players must be 18 years old to gamble or place a sports bet in Virginia.
Is online sports betting legal in Virginia?
Yes, online sports betting was legalized in Virginia in 2020. There are now over a dozen VA sports betting sites available, including BetMGM and DraftKings.
Michael is based on Washington and has written for a variety of major online publications. He has an in depth knowledge of the US gambling market and writes state betting guides and sportsbook reviews for Basketballinsiders.
Sportsbooks in Your State
- WNBA star DeWanna Bonner sets Connecticut franchise single-game record with 41 points
- Milwaukee’s Giannis Antetokounmpo has invited a particular teammate to work out with him in Greece
- Pistons expected to exercise Alec Burks’ $10.5 million team option for the 2023-24 season
- Miami’s Tyler Herro (right hand) will not play in Game 4 of the 2023 NBA Finals tonight vs Denver
- NBA Commissioner Adam Silver responds to reports saying Ja Morant was holding a toy gun in his second incident