Quick: Spent over the cap. Hard-capped via the Tyus Jones sign and trade.
Salary Cap: $109,140,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000
Hard Cap: $138,928,000
Projection for 2020-21 (flat $109.14 million cap): None
Roster Count: 11 guaranteed, one team option
PG: Ja Morant, Tyus Jones
SG: Dillon Brooks, Grayson Allen, Marko Guduric
SF: Justise Winslow, Kyle Anderson
PF: Jaren Jackson Jr., Brandon Clarke, Jontay Porter (TO)
C: Jonas Valanciunas, Gorgui Dieng
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Mike Conley, expiring 10/23/20) — $7,726,457
- Trade Exception (C.J. Miles, expiring 10/23/20) — $3,126,308
- Trade Exception (Kyle Korver, expiring 10/24/20) — $3,440,000
- Trade Exception (Jevon Carter, expiring 10/24/20) — $1,416,852
- Trade Exception (Delon Wright, expiring 10/25/20) — $4,736,842
- Trade Exception (Andre Iguodala, expiring 2/6/21) — $4,185,185
- Trade Exception (Bruno Caboclo, expiring 2/6/21) — $1,845,301
- Mid-Level Exception — $9,258,000
2020 NBA Draft*: 40th from the Phoenix Suns (Josh Jackson); 14th to the Boston Celtics (unless top-four, Jeff Green, $3,458,400 cap hold), 44th to the Chicago Bulls (Justin Holiday)
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Wang Zhelin (2016-57th), Tyler Harvey (2015-51st), Satnam Singh (2015-52nd)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds**)
- Early Bird: De’Anthony Melton (RFA, $1,820,564, Tyler Dorsey* (RFA, $1,820,564)
- Declined First: Josh Jackson ($8,930,242), Yuta Watanabe (two-way)
- Non-Bird: Jontay Porter (TO, RFA, $1,645,697), Anthony Tolliver ($1,620,564), John Konchar (two-way)
* Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
** Estimated, pending the 2020-21 salary-cap figure.
- Ja Morant
- Jaren Jackson Jr.
- Brandon Clarke
- Grayson Allen
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: None
G-League Affiliate: Memphis Hustle (head coach Jason March)
Two-Way Contracts: None
Head Coach: Taylor Jenkins
Assistants: Niele Ivey, Brad Jones, David McClure, James “Scoonie” Penn, Vitaly Potapenko, Nevan Spahija
Trainers: David Crewe (head athletic trainer), Allen Gruver (medical director), Eric Oetter (director of performance)
- Jason Wexler – president
- Zachary Kleiman — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Rich Cho — vice president of basketball strategy
- Glen Grunwald — senior advisor
- Tayshaun Prince — vice president of basketball affairs
- Chantal Hassard — vice president of team operations and player programs
- Chris Makris — director of player personnel
- 2021 — Owed a first-rounder (8-14 range in 2021, top-six protected in 2022, top-three protected in 2023, top-one in 2024 otherwise converts to 2025 and 2026 second-rounders) from the Utah Jazz (Mike Conley).
- 2021 — Owed second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Rodney Hood, Kevin Porter Jr., Deividas Sirvydis, Delon Wright).
- 2021 — Owe second-rounder to Sacramento Kings (Ben McLemore).
- 2022 — Grizzlies have second-round swap rights with Detroit Pistons (James Ennis), may be Chicago Bulls second-rounder (Jameer Nelson).
- 2023 — Owed the lower second-rounder from the Miami HEAT or Dallas Mavericks (Delon Wright).
- 2023 — The Grizzlies can swap second-rounders, the lower of the Dallas Mavericks and Miami HEAT, from the Houston Rockets provided Houston’s second is lower than 32 (Jordan Bell).
- 2024 — Owed a first-rounder (top-4 protected in 2024, top-1 protected in 2025 and unprotected in 2026) from the Golden State Warriors (Andre Iguodala).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Toronto Raptors (Marc Gasol).
- 2024 — Owe a second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Brandon Clarke).
Cash Paid ($5,617,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,617,000 max): $2 million from the Golden State Warriors (Andre Iguodala) — $3,617,000 remaining
- 10/16/20 — NBA Draft.
- 10/17/20 — Qualifying offer deadline on De’Anthony Melton.
- 10/17/20 — Team option on Jontay Porter.
- 10/19/20-10/23/20 — NBA Moratorium.
- 10/23/20 — C.J. Miles and Mike Conley trade exception expires.
- 10/24/20 — Kyle Korver and Jevon Carter trade exceptions expire.
- 10/25/20 — Delon Wright trade exception expires.
- 10/31/20 — Team options on Jaren Jackson Jr., Brandon Clarke and Grayson Allen (revised date TBD).
- 2/6/21 — Andre Iguodala and Bruno Caboclo trade exceptions expire.
- 6/29/21 — Qualifying offer deadline for Marko Guduric and Jontay Porter.
- 6/29/21 — Team option deadline for Justise Winslow.
- Before first day of 2021-22 season — Extension deadlines for Jaren Jackson Jr. and Grayson Allen.
- 10/31/20 — Team option on Brandon Clarke.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Jaren Jackson Jr. and Grayson Allen.
- Before first day of 2022-23 season — Extension deadline for Brandon Clarke.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Brandon Clarke.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates. The NBA’s general cut-down date is January 10, although players need to clear 48 hours of waivers.
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Arena: FedEx Forum
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/18/20)