Quick: Spent over the cap.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): Up to $38 million, less with Jaren Jackson Jr.
Roster Count: 18 guaranteed, one two-way, one summer contract
PG: Ja Morant, De’Anthony Melton, Tyus Jones
SG: Desmond Bane, John Konchar, Sam Merrill
SF: Dillon Brooks, Ziaire Williams, Jarrett Culver, Yves Pons (summer contract)
PF: Jaren Jackson Jr, Kyle Anderson, Brandon Clarke, Daniel Oturu
C: Steven Adams, Xavier Tillman Sr, Santiago Aldama, Juancho Hernangomez, Killian Tillie (two-way), Marc Gasol
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Grayson Allen, expiring 7/7/22) — $4,054,695
- Room Exception — $4,910,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Yves Pons $925,258 — 1/7/22
* Players and teams can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Jaren Jackson Jr
- Desmond Bane (third-year)
- Jarrett Culver (fourth-year)
- Ja Morant (fourth-year)
- Brandon Clarke (fourth-year)
Waived Players: Sean McDermott (two-way), Rajon Rondo
Traded Players: Jonas Valanciunas, Grayson Allen, Eric Bledsoe, Patrick Beverley
G-League Affiliate: Memphis Hustle (general manager Daniel Marcus, head coach Jason March)
Two-Way Contracts: Killian Tillie
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Robert Pera
- Zachary Kleiman — general manager & executive vice president of basketball operations
- Tayshaun Prince — vice president of basketball affairs
- Rich Cho — vice president of basketball strategy
- Chantal Hassard — vice president of team operations and player programs
- Chris Makris — director of player personnel
- Glen Grunwald — senior advisor
- Chris Wallace — senior advisor of player personnel
Head Coach: Taylor Jenkins
Assistants: Blake Ahearn, Brad Jones, Darko Rajakovic, David McClure, James “Scoonie” Penn, Sonia Raman, Vitaly Potapenko
Trainers: Eric Oetter (director of sports medicine), Christopher Chase (director of performance), Michael Roncarati (director of rehabilitation), Jeff Deits (head athletic trainer)
- 2022 — Owed a first-rounder (top-six protected in 2022, top-three protected in 2023, top-one in 2024 otherwise converts to 2025 and 2026 second-rounders) from the Utah Jazz (Mike Conley). If conveyed, the 2026 second-rounder will go to the Golden State Warriors (Eric Paschall).
- 2022 — Owed a first-rounder (top-10 protected) from the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis, Jonas Valanciunas), otherwise owed a second-rounder from the Cleveland Cavaliers (Kyle Korver, Jaxson Hayes, Jonas Valanciunas).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder to the Utah Jazz (Santiago Aldama).
- 2024 — Owed a first-rounder (top-4 protected in 2024, top-1 protected in 2025 and unprotected in 2026) from the Golden State Warriors (Andre Iguodala).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Toronto Raptors (Marc Gasol).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers (Marc Gasol).
- 2024 — Owed the higher second-rounder from the Indiana Pacers and the lower of the Cleveland Cavaliers or Utah Jazz (Leandro Bolmaro, James Harden, Isaiah Todd, Grayson Allen).
- 2024 — The higher second-rounder from the Washington Wizards and Grizzlies will go to the Detroit Pistons, the lower to the Los Angeles Lakers (Brandon Clarke, Admiral Schofield, Russell Westbrook, DeAndre Jordan).
- 2025 — Owe a second-rounder to the Boston Celtics (Desmond Bane), will convey to either the Orlando Magic (Evan Fournier) or Oklahoma City Thunder (Kemba Walker).
- 2026 — Owe a second-rounder to the Utah Jazz if 31-42, otherwise to the Golden State Warriors (Santiago Aldama, Eric Paschall).
- 2026 — Owed a the higher second-rounder from the Indiana Pacers and the Miami HEAT (TJ Warren, Isaiah Todd, Grayson Allen).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $1 million to the Milwaukee Bucks (Grayson Allen) — $4,785,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $250,000 to the Memphis Grizzlies (Marc Gasol) — $5,535,000 remaining
- 9/15/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Sam Merrill.
- 9/20/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Daniel Oturu.
- 10/1/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Jarrett Culver and Juancho Hernangomez.
- 10/18/21 — Extension deadline for Jaren Jackson Jr.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 10/29/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Marc Gasol.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Jarrett Culver, Desmond Bane, Brandon Clarke and Ja Morant.
- 12/15/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Yves Pons.
- 1/7/22 — Yves Pons’s $925,258 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Sam Merrill, Yves Pons, Killian Tillie, Jaren Jackson Jr and Daniel Oturu.
- 6/30/22 — Juancho Hernangomez’ $7,531,880 guarantees for 2022-23 (incentives TBD).
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/3/22 — John Konchar’s $2.3 million guarantees for 2022-23.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 7/7/22 — Grayson Allen trade exception expires.
- 8/1/22 — Patrick Beverley trade exception expires.
- Before first day of 2022-23 season — Extension deadlines for Brandon Clarke, Ja Morant and Jarrett Culver.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Desmond Bane, Ziaire Williams and Santiago Aldama.
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Brandon Clarke.
- 6/29/23 — Team option on Xavier Tillman Sr and Jarrett Culver.
- 7/3/23 — De’Anthony Melton’s $8 million guarantees for 2023-24.
- 7/3/23 — John Konchar’s $2.4 million guarantees for 2023-24.
- Before first day of 2023-24 season — Extension deadline for Desmond Bane.
- 10/31/23 — Team options on Ziaire Williams and Santiago Aldama.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Desmond Bane.
- Before first day of 2024-25 season — Extension deadline for Ziaire Williams and Santiago Aldama.
- 6/29/25 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Ziaire Williams and Santiago Aldama.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 6/3/21 — Extended executive vice president of basketball operations Zach Kleiman’s contract.
- 7/29/21 — Drafted Trey Murphy (2021-17th) and BJ Boston Jr (2021-51st).
- 7/30/21 — Waived Jontay Porter.
- 7/30/21 — Issued a qualifying offer to Killian Tillie.
- 8/1/21 — Opted Justise Winslow out of his final season.
- 8/6/21 — Renounced the rights to Justise Winslow, Tim Frazier and Tyler Dorsey.
- 8/7/21 — Traded Jonas Valanciunas, Trey Murphy (2021-17th) and BJ Boston Jr (2021-51st) to the New Orleans Pelicans, and Tyler Harvey (2015-51st) to the Charlotte Hornets for Steven Adams and Eric Bledsoe via cap room, Ziaire Williams (2021-10th) and Jared Butler (2021-40th) from the Pelicans.
- 8/7/21 — Traded Grayson Allen and $1 million to the Milwaukee Bucks for Sam Merrill via the minimum exception, generating a $4,054,695 trade exception (Grizzlies operating as a team over the cap).
- 8/7/21 — Traded Jared Butler (2021-40th), a 2022 second-rounder and a 2026 second-rounder to the Utah Jazz for Santiago Aldama (2021-30th)
- 8/7/21 — Sam Merrill’s $1,517,981 guaranteed for 2021-22.
- 8/8/21 — Signed Ziaire Williams (2021-10th) to a $19,907,925 rookie-scale contract.
- 8/8/21 — Signed Santiago Aldama (2021-30th) to a $10,243,371 rookie-scale contract.
- 8/9/21 — Signed Yves Pons to a $925,258 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 8/11/21 — Re-signed Killian Tillie to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/16/21 — Traded Eric Bledsoe to the Los Angeles Clippers for Patrick Beverley, Rajon Rondo and Daniel Oturu (via the minimum exception).
- 8/25/21 — Waived Sean McDermott (two-way).
- 8/25/21 — Traded Patrick Beverley to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Jarrett Culver and Juancho Hernangomez.
- 8/28/21 — Waived Rajon Rondo.
- 9/10/21 — Traded Wang Zhelin (2016-57th) to the Los Angeles Lakers for Marc Gasol, a 2024 second-rounder and $250,000.
- Kyle Anderson — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Satnam Singh (2015-52nd)
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
Arena: FedEx Forum
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/12/21)
NBA Team Salaries
- Klay Thompson: “I should be on the NBA’s 75th Anniversary Team”
- Nets vs. 76ers: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- Pacers vs. Wizards: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- Knicks vs. Magic: Preview, Predictions and Betting Picks
- Phoenix Suns vs. Los Angeles Lakers: Betting Picks, Prediction, and Preview