Los Angeles Lakers coach Darvin Ham had to pull out all the stops to help L.A. obtain its first win of the 2022-23 season, and part of his philosophy is respecting players like Russell Westbrook.
During the postgame interview, following the Lakers’ 121-110 win over the Denver Nuggets, Ham discussed the conversation he had with the nine-time All-Star.
According to a few NBA betting sites, the Lakers have the 16th-best odds to win the championship in 2023. While the team is no longer winless, some sportsbooks expected more from L.A. through the first six games of the season.
Ham said one of his main goals w/ the Lakers was to get Russ the respect he deserves
"I told him…'Believe in me, bro. I'm gonna put you in a position to succeed…But you have to put the group first. It cant be about Me or I or Mine. Its gotta be Us, Ours, We."
(Q: @kylegoon) pic.twitter.com/djarwtUrna
— Michael Corvo (@michaelcorvoNBA) October 31, 2022
“I told him [Russell Westbrook], ‘Man, just listen to me, believe in me, bro. I’m gonna put you in a position to succeed with the group,” said the Lakers coach.
“But you have to put the group first. It can’t be about me or I or mine. It’s gotta be us, ours, we.’ And he’s done that.”
Lakers coach Darvin Ham is doing everything he can to help his team succeed with Russell Westbrook
After starting the season 0-5, the Lakers definitely needed the win on Sunday night. They were the last winless team in the NBA. “We needed to prove something to ourselves,” continued Ham.
“Not to the world, not the media. We had to prove it to ourselves. I feel great about how we responded throughout the game.”
In 32 minutes off the bench, Westbrook ended his performance with 18 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 assists. Plus, the Lakers guard finished 6-of-12 (50%) shooting from the field and 2-of-4 (50%) from 3-point range.
Additionally, this is the second straight game the two-time scoring champ closed out his outing with 18 points and 8 boards. Of course, he also shot at least 50% from the floor for the first time since opening night against the Golden State Warriors.
Furthermore, at this point of his 15-year career, Westbrook might be a better player in the sixth man role. For the soon to be 34-year-old, the guard’s personal goal should be quality performances, not minutes played.
Following a shootaround on Saturday, the Lakers guard told reporters, “Like I’ve mentioned since Day 1, whatever is needed from me to help the team win, that’s what I’ll do.”
Equally important, less is more for Ham’s veteran players. In the Lakers’ first win of the season, they shot 46-of-96 (47.9%) from the field and 13-of-30 (43.3%) from downtown. L.A. came together as a team for the first time this season.
Content You May Like
- Best NBA Betting Sites – Discover our list of the best sites to bet on NBA games.
- NBA Futures Betting – Find NBA futures odds, strategies and betting sites.
- Free Expert NBA Picks – Our NBA experts are sharing their daily betting picks and predictions.
- Best NBA Futures Bets – In-depth guide about NBA futures bets.
- NBA Betting Strategies – Learn the best strategies to bet on NBA.
- NBA Live Betting – Top rated NBA live betting sites and offers.
- Best Online Sportsbooks – We tested and reviewed the best US betting sites.
- Best Offshore Betting Sites – List of offshore betting sites with the best offers.
- Best Online Gambling Sites – We reviewed the best gambling sites to gamble online.
- NBA Draft Betting – Everything you need to know about NBA draft betting.
- NBA Teams – Read more about the NBA teams, their stats, rosters and salaries .
- Timberwolves’ Karl-Anthony Towns suffers calf strain injury
- Magics’ Guard Markelle Fultz Available To Make Season Debut On Wednesday
- Kevin Durant on whether crowd ‘MVP’ chants motivate him: ‘Nah, not really. I’ve been there, done that.’
- Atlanta Hawks Possibly Looking To Move John Collins In Trade
- Nets’ Ben Simmons (knee) day-to-day after exit vs. Magic
NBA 1 week ago
NBA Betting Odds And Picks Tonight: NBA Best Bets For Monday 11/21
Main Page 1 week ago
WATCH: Giannis Antetokounmpo shoves ladder after loss to 76ers
NBA 2 weeks ago
NBA Week 5 Power Rankings: Celtics Jump Bucks As New Number One Team
NBA 2 weeks ago
NBA Player Prop Picks Tonight: De’Aaron Fox Over 1.5 Three-Pointers Leads Our Best Bets