Connect with us

College Headlines

NCAA Changes Rules on Players Testing NBA Draft Status

Basketball Insiders

Published

on

College basketball underclassmen will have more flexibility to test their NBA draft status without jeopardizing their eligibility under rule changes approved Wednesday at the NCAA annual convention.

Players will be allowed to enter the draft multiple times and participate in the combine and one NBA team tryout per year. They also will be allowed up to 10 days to withdraw from the draft after the combine.

The rule changes, which take effect immediately, were designed to help players make better decisions on their future and keep those who find out they’re not ready for the NBA on track for graduation.

Source: Jim Vertuno of the Associated Press

Advertisement




Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

College Headlines

LaVar Ball Plans to Start Basketball League for High School Graduates

Basketball Insiders

Published

on

LaVar Ball said Wednesday that he is launching a basketball league for nationally ranked players who have graduated from high school but don’t want to go to college.

Ball said his Junior Basketball Association — which he said is fully funded by his Big Baller Brand — plans to pay the lowest-ranked player a salary of $3,000 a month and the best player $10,000 a month. Ball is looking for 80 players to fill 10 teams that will seek to play at NBA arenas in Los Angeles, Dallas, Brooklyn and Atlanta.

“Getting these players is going to be easy,” Ball told ESPN. “This is giving guys a chance to get a jump start on their career, to be seen by pro scouts; and we’re going to pay them, because someone has to pay these kids.”

Ball said the rules of his league will follow those of the NBA instead of college — 12-minute quarters and a pro 3-point line.

Ball said he was partly motivated by the comments made earlier in the month by NCAA president Mark Emmert, who was asked at a SportsBusiness Journal conference whether Ball was good or bad for the college game.

Source: Darren Rovell of ESPN

Continue Reading

College Headlines

Sources: NBA, NCAA Meet to Discuss Changing One-and-Done Draft Rule

Basketball Insiders

Published

on

With momentum gathering to reshape the one-and-done draft entry rule, NBA commissioner Adam Silver and NBPA executive director Michele Roberts met with the new Commission on College Basketball in Washington, D.C., on Thursday, league sources told ESPN.

Silver and Roberts delivered the league and union perspectives on issues facing the basketball industry, including ways that changing the dynamics of the NBA draft could impact the pro and college games. The meeting was described as informational in nature, although the NCAA ultimately has no formal say in rules governing the league’s early-entry rules.

Draft eligibility rules must be collectively bargained between the NBA and the Players Association, and that conversation has been ongoing between the league and union, sources tell ESPN.

Nevertheless, there’s a growing belief within the league that Silver’s desire to end the one-and-done — the ability of college basketball players to enter the NBA draft after playing one year in college — could be pushing the sport closer to high school players having the opportunity to directly enter the league again. For that change to happen, though, the union would probably need to cede the one-and-done rule and agree to a mandate that players entering college must stay two years before declaring for the draft.

Source: Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN

Continue Reading

College Headlines

Marvin Bagley III Reclassifies, Commits to Duke

Basketball Insiders

Published

on

The biggest news in college basketball has come in August, typically one of the quietest recruiting months of the year.

Marvin Bagley III, the nation’s No. 1 high school recruit from the Class of 2018, made his announcement to reclassify up to the Class of 2017 on Monday, which means he will immediately be a freshman in college this season.

Along with his decision to reclassify, Bagley said on SportsCenter that he will play at Duke for Hall of Fame coach Mike Krzyzewski.

Bagley had been contemplating this decision for a long time and began to explore immediate eligibility in recent months. He is now scheduled to graduate from Los Angeles’ Sierra Canyon High School in August, after which the NCAA eligibility center will review his final transcript to assess whether he has met all requirements to play at the Division I level.

Adding Bagley to a class that already includes scoring savant Michael Porter Jr.and physically imposing big man DeAndre Ayton, as well as newly reclassified No. 24 Jontay Porter (Missouri), makes this a group to rival last year’s class that boasted historic one-and-done draft picks.

Source: Paul Biancardi of ESPN

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending Now