On Thursday, Golden State Warriors guard Klay Thompson released a statement on his unconfirmed 2024 retirement rumors that went viral on social media.
At the end of his interview, the five-time All-Star set the record straight. “Also, there’s a report out there — I have no intention of retiring in 2024.”
Regarding the 2022-23 NBA championship odds, a few NBA betting sites expect the Warriors to repeat. However, some sportsbooks are showing higher odds for the Boston Celtics, Philadelphia 76ers, and Los Angeles Clippers.
“If you write some dumb s—t like that, be held accountable,” continued Thompson. “That’s crazy. Just because I didn’t play 5-on-5 doesn’t mean I’m gonna retire. That is absurd.”
The false report may have had something to do with Thompson’s contract. In one interview with Mike Medina of NBA.com, the Warriors guard revealed that he had not yet talked to the front office about a potential extension.
Of course, his current deal ends at the end of the 2023-24 season. If not offered a new deal, he will become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2024.
But that doesn’t automatically mean retirement. He could sign a new contract in the future. For the 2022-23 season, Thompson will make $40,600,080.
Warriors guard Klay Thompson labels 2024 retirement reports ‘crazy’
While speaking with Medina, the 32-year-old explained the situation. “I have not talked to the front office about it,” mentioned Thompson.
“I’m just going to do what I got to do to be the best I can be every day. I’m going to be a great player. I know what I’m capable of.”
“I fully expect to earn another NBA contract, whether it’s this summer or next summer,” continued Thompson. “I’m fully confident in my abilities.”
Last season, the Warriors guard averaged 20.4 points, 3.9 rebounds, and 2.8 assists in 32 starts. Due to his ACL injury from November 2020, Thompson missed the first half of the 2021-22 season.
On April 10, 2022, in the Warriors’ 128-107 win against the New Orleans Pelicans, the guard scored a season-high 41 points in 31 minutes of action. He finished 16-of-29 (55.2%) shooting from the floor and 7-of-14 (50%) from 3-point range.
Moreover, in Game 1 of the 2022 NBA Finals versus the Boston Celtics, Thompson passed LeBron James for second on the all-time NBA playoffs 3-pointers list.
In Game 5, the guard joined LeBron and teammate Stephen Curry as the only players in league history to make at least 100 3-pointers in the NBA Finals.
Now, Klay Thompson is focused on the present. On Tuesday, in the Warriors’ 123-109 win over the Los Angeles Lakers, the guard finished his performance with 18 points, 2 rebounds, and 3 assists in the team’s home opener.
For their next game, the Warriors take on the Denver Nuggets at 10 p.m. ET on Friday. This matchup can be watched live on ESPN. Golden State forward Andre Iguodala is listed as out.
Content You May Like
- Best NBA Betting Sites – Discover our list of the best sites to bet on NBA games.
- NBA Futures Betting – Find NBA futures odds, strategies and betting sites.
- Free Expert NBA Picks – Our NBA experts are sharing their daily betting picks and predictions.
- Best NBA Futures Bets – In-depth guide about NBA futures bets.
- NBA Betting Strategies – Learn the best strategies to bet on NBA.
- NBA Live Betting – Top rated NBA live betting sites and offers.
- Best Online Sportsbooks – We tested and reviewed the best US betting sites.
- Best Offshore Betting Sites – List of offshore betting sites with the best offers.
- Best Online Gambling Sites – We reviewed the best gambling sites to gamble online.
- NBA Draft Betting – Everything you need to know about NBA draft betting.
- NBA Teams – Read more about the NBA teams, their stats, rosters and salaries .
- Proposed Trade Sends Two Chicago All-Stars To Lakers In Exchange For Russel Westbrook
- Will the Celtics re-sign Grant Williams after 2022-23 season?
- Jayson Tatum trails only Larry Bird for most 45-point games in Celtics history
- Khris Middleton Expected To Make Season Debut for Milwaukee Bucks vs Lakers
- Knicks center Mitchell Robinson content with team role
NBA 1 week ago
NBA Betting Odds And Picks Tonight: NBA Best Bets For Monday 11/21
Main Page 1 week ago
WATCH: Giannis Antetokounmpo shoves ladder after loss to 76ers
NBA 1 week ago
Derrick Rose Could Be Traded To ‘Surprise’ Team Emerging With Interest
NBA 2 weeks ago
NBA Player Prop Picks Tonight: Jalen Brunson Over 6.5 Assists Leads Our Best Bets