The Boston Celtics and forward Grant Williams had until Monday evening to agree on a contract extension. Of course, the two sides fell short on negotiating a new deal.
Williams is entering his fourth season with the team. In 2019, he signed a four-year, $11.8 million rookie scale extension with the Celtics. His $4,306,281 team option for the 2022-23 season was exercised last November.
A few NBA betting sites are giving the Celtics the best odds to win their 18th championship in 2023. Nonetheless, some sportsbooks are showing higher odds for the Golden State Warriors and Los Angeles Clippers.
Grant Williams on no extension: "It's one of those things that, you never want to take a bad deal for no one around you … the role that I play as VP of the player's association, you understand where the league is going in the future and where the league is currently at .." Cont
— Bobby Manning (@RealBobManning) October 18, 2022
In the 2021-22 season, the forward posted career-high numbers. Last season, in 77 appearances, Williams averaged 7.8 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 1 assist per game.
Moreover, in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals, the wing scored a career-high 27 points in the Celtics’ 109-81 win over the Milwaukee Bucks.
Contrary to popular belief, the Tennessee product now has a bit of leverage over Boston. He’s improving each season. Needless to say, the forward understands his worth.
Celtics forward Grant Williams refuses to accept less than he’s worth, reiterates the importance of value
A few weeks ago, per Michael Scotto of HoopsHype, four anonymous NBA executives mentioned that Williams’ annual value is in the $12-13 million range. With the Celtics, it is unknown what amount the forward rejected.
“For an extension now, he’s [Grant Williams] probably in the $12-14 million territory,” explained the unnamed source.
“I think $15 million is not out of the question, but definitely on the high end, and it means they’d think he’s going to be a starter.”
On Tuesday, Williams explained his position to team reporters. “It’s one of those things that, you never want to take a bad deal for no one around you,” said the Celtics forward.
“The role that I play as VP of the player’s association, you understand where the league is going in the future and where the league is currently at.”
“For me, that’s huge, that’s valuable, because I care about every single player in this league,” continued Williams. “I care about every single player in this league that has to deal with free agency, that has to deal with the issues that we have within in this league. We’re on the right path.”
“For me, it wasn’t a matter of life-changing money, it was a matter of value, not only for this year, but for years to come. I think that from both sides, we all negotiated from that point, and there was no ill will. There were no frustrations.”
If Grant Williams receives an All-NBA honor in the 2022-23 season, will the Celtics offer him a max extension next summer? As things are right now, some analysts believe the wing needs another season to prove himself.
Playing alongside Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum, he will have plenty of opportunities to impress the Celtics this season — as if he hasn’t already.
Content You May Like
- Best NBA Betting Sites – Discover our list of the best sites to bet on NBA games.
- NBA Futures Betting – Find NBA futures odds, strategies and betting sites.
- Free Expert NBA Picks – Our NBA experts are sharing their daily betting picks and predictions.
- Best NBA Futures Bets – In-depth guide about NBA futures bets.
- NBA Betting Strategies – Learn the best strategies to bet on NBA.
- NBA Live Betting – Top rated NBA live betting sites and offers.
- Best Online Sportsbooks – We tested and reviewed the best US betting sites.
- Best Offshore Betting Sites – List of offshore betting sites with the best offers.
- Best Online Gambling Sites – We reviewed the best gambling sites to gamble online.
- NBA Draft Betting – Everything you need to know about NBA draft betting.
- NBA Teams – Read more about the NBA teams, their stats, rosters and salaries .
- Lakers started season 2-10, now 9-12 after back-to-back wins
- Mavericks guard Spencer Dinwiddie praises Dwight Powell
- LeBron James passes Magic Johnson in assists for sixth all time
- Shai Gilgeous-Alexander upgraded to questionable against Timberwolves
- Kawhi Leonard and Paul George Nearing Return For The Clippers Soon
NBA 2 weeks ago
Ja Morant Drug Tested By NBA For Returning So Quick From Injury
NBA 2 weeks ago
NBA Betting Odds And Picks Tonight: NBA Best Bets For Monday 11/21
NBA 2 weeks ago
Derrick Rose Could Be Traded To ‘Surprise’ Team Emerging With Interest
Headlines 2 weeks ago
Nuggets center Nikola Jokic doubtful against Detroit