NBA Denies Keeping Giannis Antetokounmpo From Euros
Greece’s basketball federation accused the Milwaukee Bucks and the NBA of hatching a plan to prevent All-Star forward Giannis Antetokounmpo from playing in the European championship.
The NBA denied the allegation.
The saga started Saturday about an hour after Antetokounmpo posted on Facebook and Instagram that he was unavailable because of a knee injury, with the Greek federation attacking the Bucks and the NBA in a statement, describing an “organized and well-staged plan” to keep Antetokounmpo from playing in the Eurobasket at the end of the month.
“A series of indications … had convinced us of the existence of an organized and well-staged plan by (Antentokounmpo’s NBA) team, with the full knowledge if not encouragement of the NBA that put the athlete on the spot and forced him to announce today that he is no longer part of the men’s national team.”
However, the NBA countered Saturday night with a statement saying Antetokounmpo is indeed hurt.
“The NBA and the Milwaukee Bucks have followed all appropriate protocol under the NBA-FIBA agreement,” the NBA said in a statement released to The Associated Press. “Giannis has an injury that has been confirmed through multiple examinations and any suggestion to the contrary is false.”
Source: Associated Press via ESPN
- NBA insiders say that Ja Morant could return to the lineup on Wednesday vs the Rockets
- Russell Westbrook admits “this one’s on me, honestly” as he takes blame for Clippers’ latest defeat to Orlando
- WATCH: Gonzaga’s Drew Timme Drops F-Bomb After Win Over TCU
- Shaquille O’Neal sparks concern around the league after tweeting a photo of himself in a hospital bed last night
- LeBron James praises Austin Reaves on Twitter after career-high performance vs. Magic
College Basketball 1 week ago
Could Crimson Tide Justify Firing Alabama Basketball Coach Nate Oats With His Huge Buyout After Brandon Miller Gun Incident?
Main Page 3 days ago
Paul Pierce sparks fire around Andrew Wiggins’ girlfriend rumors
College Basketball 4 days ago
Jay Bilas’ March Madness Bracket, Predictions, and Expert Picks
College Basketball 2 weeks ago
Kansas Basketball Coach Bill Self Contract, Salary, Buyout, and Net Worth