The NBA is planning to experiment with a coach’s challenge system on referees’ calls during Las Vegas Summer League, according to league sources.
Officials are still working on what mechanism coaches will use to trigger a challenge and what the parameters are, but they will not use a flag, sources said. Both the NFL and Major League Baseball have coach challenge systems.
The league has steadily increased the use of instant replay over the last decade, routinely adding the types of plays that can be reviewed and triggers that allow officials to go to the monitors.
No matter how the testing goes in Vegas, it is unlikely the NBA would adopt any new challenge rules for next season.
Source: Brian Windhorst of ESPN
- John Wall joins Clippers, Celtics’ championship odds decrease by 17%
- Russell Westbrook picks up $47 million option, championship odds increase 10%
- Paolo Banchero increases NBA Rookie of the Year Odds by 25%
- Mitch Kupchak on Miles Bridges: “We’re going to bring him back.”
- NBA 2K23 Cover Athlete Odds – Stephen Curry is the Top Favorite