North Carolina Sports Betting: House Lawmakers Feel Momentum Building For HB 347 With Another Committee Vote Approaching Tuesday
North Carolina’s sports betting legislation is on a fast break.
House Bill 347 was approved by its third committee last week and moves on to the Rules, Calendar and Operations of the House committee on Tuesday.
Will it be a slam dunk?
#LegislativeUpdate: An online #sportsbetting bill is sailing through the #NorthCarolina House. @JasonSaine97th's bill passed three committees in two days and could get a full House vote next week.
— iDEA Growth (@iDEA_Growth) March 23, 2023
N.C. Rep. Jason Saine Coaching Up HB 347 To Senate
Included in the action last week, the main sponsor, Rep. Jason Saine (R-Lincoln), coached the mobile betting bill to back-to-back wins. It cruised through the Commerce Committee by a vote of 17-10 Tuesday and the Finance Committee, 7-3, Wednesday.
After similar legislation passed the State Senate, but failed by one vote to squeeze through House last year, industry insiders like the odds of eventual passage.
Saine has compiled 56 bipartisan sponsors and N.C. Gov. Roy Cooper reportedly favors the bill and designated sports wagering to be part of his 2023 state budget.
Next week could be big. If Tuesday’s vote passes, as expected, a full House vote could be staged Wednesday, which could send the legislation to the senate for its hearings..
North Carolina online sports betting advances without amendments opposed by industry 🇺🇸📈
👉 https://t.co/uEP9lxEQxo#legislation #sportsbetting #igaming
— iGaming NEXT (@iGamingNEXT) March 23, 2023
HB 347 Overcomes Judiciary 1 Committee Concerns
Despite HB 347’s obvious state-wide momentum, Rep. Pricey Harrison (D-Guilford) attempted to put up five hurdles during the Judiciary 1 Committee.
Of the five bill amendments Harrison introduced, Saine agreed to remove “parimutuel horse and greyhound racing” from the legislation, but rejected other potential measures, including:
- Creating a three-strike policy for violators.
- Making it illegal for online sportsbooks to advertise at state universities.
- Deleting sports betting on college athletics and the Olympics.
The issue of college wagering has been debated several times by lawmakers.
Will it slow down the bill’s momentum?
While it may not be a slam dunk, industry insiders predict the lawmakers will score off the fast break.
NFL Betting Guides 2023
- NFL Betting Guide – Discover Best NFL Betting Sites in USA Ranked & Reviewed.
- NFL Betting Apps Guide – Compare the Best Apps for NFL Betting Ranked & Reviewed.
- NFL Live Betting Guide – Compare Best NFL In Play Betting Sites.
- The Latest NFL Odds – Compare the Best Football Odds & Lines.
- NFL Spread Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to Win Football Spread Bets.
- NFL Totals Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to Win Football Totals Bets.
- NFL Futures Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to Win Football Futures Bets.
- NFL Moneyline Odds Explained – Expert Guide on How to win Football Moneyline Bets.
- Free NFL Picks – Check Expert Football Picks & Predictions.
- Free NFL Picks Against The Spread – Check Expert NFL Picks Against the Spread.
- TNT’s Chris Haynes on Damian Lillard’s hypothetical trade list: ‘I’ll leave it at Nets and Heat’
- Jimmy Butler says Heat are going to ‘get one at home’ in Game 4
- Who is LSU’s Angel Reese’s Mystery Man? Is it NBA YoungBoy, Shedeur Sanders, or Cam’Ron Fletcher?
- Paul George tells story that proves Steve Adams is a true basketball warrior: ‘He’s different’
- ESPN’s Brian Windhorst says Chris Paul’s future is with Lakers or Clippers
Main Page 3 days ago
Magic star Jonathan Isaac to launch ‘Anti-Woke’ clothing brand UNITUS in August
Main Page 2 days ago
Highest-Paid NBA Mascots 2023: Denver Nuggets’ Rocky Earns $625K Salary
NBA 1 week ago
LA Lakers Believe Lonzo Ball’s Potential Career-Ending Injury Caused By Big Baller Brand Shoes
Headlines 2 weeks ago
Dallas Mavericks Not Interested in Pursuing D’Angelo Russell