Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart has suffered a torn tendon in his right thumb and will be out indefinitely, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
The loss of Smart could be potentially devastating for the Celtics. He is expected to receive a second opinion on the thumb, which he injured diving for a loose ball in Sunday’s loss to the Indiana Pacers. Smart posted 20 points, eight assists, seven rebounds, four steals and six 3-pointers in 36 minutes on Sunday.
The Celtics have gone 6-2 since Smart returned from a right-hand injury that forced him to miss one month. Smart has served as the Celtics’ top defender and emotional leader, and is a developing offensive player. He has averaged 10.2 points, 4.8 assists and 3.5 rebounds in 29.9 minutes per game this season.
Source: Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports
NBA Team Salaries
- NBA Betting Picks: Detroit Pistons vs Portland Trail Blazers preview, prediction and picks
- NBA Betting Picks: Golden State Warriors vs. Phoenix Suns preview, prediction and picks
- NBA Betting Picks: New York Knicks vs Brooklyn Nets preview, picks and prediction
- NBA Betting Picks: Los Angeles Lakers vs. Sacramento Kings Preview
- NBA Betting Picks: Memphis Grizzlies vs Toronto Raptors preview, prediction and picks